Motivation Mondays: Suicide Prevention Awareness Month

25/09/2017

“When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.” Harriet Beecher Stowe

Motivation Mondays: Suicide Prevention Awareness Month

Motivation Mondays: Suicide Prevention Awareness Month

YouTube: We All Have a Role to Play in Preventing Suicide

2016 Facts & Figures USA
A suicide occurs every 12.5 minutes, 1.1 million attempt it yearly, 90% of those who succeed have a psychiatric disorder, 43,000 die yearly, 10th leading cause of death in the US, 1.5 times national average for Native American and Alaskan youth 15-24, 2nd leading cause for 44 year old and under, 5th leading cause for 45-55 old, 22.2% Veterans, $44 Billion cost, Those who commit suicide 49.9% use firearms, by suffocation is 26.7%, and by poisoning is 15.9%, for every 1 woman/4 men commit suicide… afsp.org

This month is Suicide Prevention Awareness Month and we can all help raise awareness so folks in need of help can get it.   Whether we pay attention to it or not, suicide impacts all of our lives; be it directly or indirectly. The statistics above are grim but, we can do something about it by availing ourselves of all the services and support systems out there. We can also be compassionate towards friends, family or the occasional stranger who crosses our path and is in dire need of help by listening, encouraging them to get help and following the guidelines offered by the Surgeon General and other mental health entities by helping place a call and staying with the person until professional help arrives.

According to the Surgeon General’s National Strategy for Suicide Prevention Report, those at greater risk of committing suicide include: individuals with mental and/or substance use disorders; Individuals bereaved by suicide; Individuals in justice and child welfare settings; Individuals who engage in non-suicidal self-injury; Individuals who have attempted suicide; Individuals with medical conditions;Individuals who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender (LGBT); American Indians/Alaska Natives; Members of the Armed Forces and veterans; Men in midlife; and Older men. Every one of us knows at least one person who fits in the listed groups and when we sense a change in their mood or habits, we must speak up and offer help. Shying away or thinking someone else will take care of it won’t help. It is at times like this that we can work together to honor the belief that we are our brothers/sisters keepers.
If you, or someone you know, is in suicidal crisis or emotional distress please call the LIFELINE at 1-800-273-TALK (8255)*  You can also get Help via NSPL.

IMPORTANT RESOURCES

“Believe in yourself and all that you are. Know that there is something inside you that is greater than any obstacle.” Christian D. Larson

Motivation Mondays: Suicide Prevention Awareness Month

Motivation Mondays: Suicide Prevention Awareness Month

Motivation Mondays: Suicide Prevention Awareness Month

Motivation Mondays: Suicide Prevention Awareness Month

YouTube: How to Help Someone Who is Suicidal

What are some of the warning signs?  Even though the 2016 suicide statistics are disturbing, we can make a difference. If a loved one starts to change their behavior in any way, it should be a red flag to act. Time is of essence and waiting for someone else to address the sense of doom and overwhelm our friend or family member is feeling is not wise. Some typical warning signs include:  Talking about wanting to die or kill oneself; a sense of hopelessness, feeling trapped, or in great pain; being a burden to others; an increase in the use/abuse of alcohol or drugs; Acting anxious, agitated, or reckless; excessive or very little Sleep; Withdrawing into isolation; outbursts of rage or seeking revenge; and extreme mood swings. While some people don’t exhibit all of these signs, there are typically 1 or 2 markers that might hint at their distress. Instead of sloughing it off, address it and offer to make that call so they can get help. With immediate action and attention on our part, we can help save a life.

My earliest memory of suicide was hearing about an uncle on my Dad’s side who committed suicide after the civil war. He was a war veteran and had come home with mental health challenges that were not addressed in our small west African village. By the time anyone could figure out his psychotic episodes and deep depression, he had taken his life. At the time, I couldn’t understand why he did it and the explanations were beyond me as I was only a child. At different points in our lives, we come up against some very dark times and it is in those moments, our darkest hours, that we must hold onto hope and not quit. So many of us have come to that precipice and the guidance and support of loved ones and mental health professionals brought us back from the brink.

Over the years, I’ve heard/read/known about others who lost their lives to suicide. From celebrities to every day folks, suicide cuts across socioeconomic lines reminding us that no one is immune. One very deeply wounding story occurred in November 2009, when my dear friend Esmeralda lost her son Andrew to suicide. It was a sad and painful time for all of us, as Andrew was a very special son to me. As everyone mourned, it was understood that we should all stay committed to help others in need. Esmeralda started a Wellness fair and we all educated ourselves about this dreaded subject. If the least we do is share information and check in with friends/family who are struggling, we would have made a huge difference. Start small, get involved and spread the word. Offer the resources above. Make that call.
READ: From Anguish to Activism: A Mother’s Journey to Get Your Wellness On

The details for Motivation Mondays are below. Join in! The themes for AUG/SEPT 2017 are:

AUGUST

08/06 –  01 National Girlfriend Day
08/13 –  06 Friendship Day, 12 International Youth Day
08/20 –  19 World Humanitarian Day
08/27 –  26 National Dog Day

SEPTEMBER

09/04 – Labor Day,
09/10 – TBA
09/17 – TBA
07/24 – TBA
09/30 – Yom Kippur

Are You Looking for Ways to Stay Creative in 2017?

post-a-week-2017-md
– Join the Daily Post Post-a-day or Post-a-week Challenge.

BHWritingLab_052016_post_PROMPT1A

— Join the BlogHer Writing Lab

More Below
“Place your hand over your heart, can you feel it? That is called purpose. You’re alive for a reason so don’t ever give up.” unknown

Motivation Mondays: Suicide Prevention Awareness Month

Motivation Mondays: Suicide Prevention Awareness Month

What can we really do to help those in distress? Every year on September 10th, World Suicide Prevention Awareness day is celebrated. Join in the celebrations and help disseminate vital information to your community and loved ones. Again, the Surgeon General’s report suggests that we ask them directly if they are thinking about killing themselves; place a call to the U.S. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (8255); get the person professional medical or mental health professional and/or take them to an emergency room; rid the space of objects that could be used to attempt a suicide and stay with them while you seek help. While we make great effort to offer our help, keep in mind that the person must be supported and encouraged at all times to accept the help. Don’t take it on alone, ask for help and stay close to ensure the extra help arrives. We can be that change in someone’s life on this planet so don’t give up. #BeThe1To Save a Life. Spread the word. Again, If you, or someone you know, is in suicidal crisis or emotional distress please call 1-800-273-TALK (8255)* You can also get Help via NSPL.
READ: RIP Robin Williams: Gone Too Soon…
Reflections: On Hope – Don’t Quit On Your Life…

Have a Happy, Healthy 2017!

Positive Motivation Tip: Hold your loved ones close and save a life.

Motivation Mondays is open to anyone who wishes to share a motivational quote, photo, personal challenge or a post that encourages others to start the week on an upbeat note.
Basic Instructions: Each week, I will have a motivation word to help us create a response. (See listed words for the months above/below)
Email address: You may email or share your post as a comment and I will add it to the round-up of related posts. email it to: contact(@)mirthandmotivation(.)com
Category tag: – Share your post using Motivation Mondays
Twitter hashtag: – Use this on Twitter #MotvnM
Dedicated Page: There is a dedicated page for Motivation Mondays. It has the same instructions and will include other helpful tools and a link to the round-up
Facebook Page:MotivationOnMondays Join our page and add your post and/or any motivational piece you think will be helpful to others.
Facebook Community: We have a Facebook community forum to compliment the page. It serves as another way to share uplifting posts and thoughts. Please join in and add your voice.

Badge: – I created a fun badge using PicMonkey’s free photo editing tools. You can create your own, use WordPress’ integrated tool on your blog or you are welcome to use mine. (see dedicated page)
Tag: – Motivation Mondays
Hashtag: – #MotvnM

Related Posts

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos  Suicide Prevention, Suicide banner, Suicide, via Pixabay, AND/OR via Wikipedia

1. Queens of Virtue permalink
    25/09/2017 4:51 pm

What an amazing read! I think we need to raise more awareness about suicide prevention. It’s so important.

2. Tips from Toni permalink
    25/09/2017 4:59 pm

You have a lot of great encouragement on your blog. I didn’t realize September is suicide awareness/prevention month. Thank you for making me aware. It is a tragedy to lose someone in this way. I will be sure to share your information.

3. angie permalink
    25/09/2017 5:06 pm

I have sadly known a few to take their own lives. Sadly to say that I am not sure that any of them knew that they were loved by many

4. Theresa permalink
    25/09/2017 8:20 pm

This is such an important topic. I really hope that our country starts taking mental health more seriously real soon. When there are more resources to help address these issues, I think we’ll start to see a change in the statistics.

5. Tanvi Rastogi (@Tanviidotcom) permalink
    25/09/2017 11:13 pm

I do not have any first hand experience but whenever I hear about it I wonder if there was something anyone of us could do to alter another human’s course of life. Thanks for spreading word about this month. I did not know about the stats and other information. A little kindness can go a long way …

6. ceciliaharvard permalink
    26/09/2017 12:03 am

I think it’s so important to spread awareness on suicide prevention. Thanks so much for all of the helpful links and resources.

7. Sian Lifts Weights permalink
    26/09/2017 12:33 am

What a great post! I really think mental health and suicide needs to be spoken about more! it still is such a taboo subject and we could save so many lives!

• 26/09/2017 1:58 am

Yes, we need consistent effort and available care. If people don’t get mental health coverage that is affordable, it adds to the problem.

8. Saint Facetious permalink
    26/09/2017 1:07 am

Suicide is such a difficult subject. I hate when people, rather than try to be empathetic towards a depressed person, just want to be judgmental and call them selfish. That’s my biggest peeve on dealing with it. Also reminds me of Georgia (the country), which has a very high rate, and I’m assuming because of its ultra-strong conservative society, which completely ostracizes anyone who doesn’t quite fit in, ending with such terrible consequences nobody wants to talk about, and assume the first part of what I wrote. 😦

• 26/09/2017 1:57 am

That is both sad and true… There is a taboo on the subject in some circles which makes it even sadder. Compassion goes a long way…

9. Star harford permalink
    26/09/2017 1:28 am

Those statistics are pretty scary! This is a really important subject to get out there and you are doing a great job. Thankyou for including helpline number.

10. Aditya permalink
    26/09/2017 1:31 am

Well your write up is on point. No wonder these statistics don’t lie. I feel it starts with depression and if not taken care of this situation, then suicide is the next level. And the person cannot risk it going if the other person is negative towards them. I feel help should be given if not friend, then a community.

11. acraftymix permalink
    26/09/2017 1:33 am

The stats you quoted are really scary. I don’t think there’s anything worse than losing someone close to you to suicide and my heart bleeds for your friend Esmeralda. How devastating. I would love to say I hope she’s okay, but that would be so wrong. Okay just doesn’t cut it 😦

12. Kristine Nicole Alessandra permalink
    26/09/2017 2:48 am

We must be vigilant in recognizing the signs. Some people are very good at hiding their true feelings until such time that it is too late. Thank you for providing the phone number we can call when a crisis arises.

13. Joanna permalink
    26/09/2017 3:30 am

I believe that if mental illness was treated more seriously and people who suffer from depression not marginalized, these statistics would be so much lower. Unfortunately, depression makes people hide and isolate themselves, being scared to ask for help.

• 01/10/2017 11:16 pm

I agree…we need more mental health care assess and a decrease in the taboo. Sadly, we live in a world where insensitive people add their voice without being informed.

14. Bhushavali permalink
    26/09/2017 3:52 am

Oh my!!! This is sad and scary… Mental disorders, esp depression is often overlooked. The more we heed to our near and dear ones, the situation can be sorted before its too late.

15. Ana Ro permalink
    26/09/2017 4:08 am

This is a very hard topic, and I’m so glad you decided to discuss it. It must have been devastating for your friend, I can’t imagine coping with such thing, and I’m glad that there is support for people who had this kind of tragedy in the family.

16. Julie K. permalink
    26/09/2017 4:19 am

Why do we need these national days to remind us such things? People who commit suicide wants to do it, I think it’s important for them to know that they can talk to people and get help but if they don’t want to that’s also an option.

• 01/10/2017 11:13 pm

Julie, this is a very important issue that impacts the lives of millions of people every year. Without disseminating helpful resources and reminding people to seek help, the numbers will continue to rise. Your insensitivity to the subject is disgusting. If you can’t grasp the tragic impact of suicide and the value of providing assistance then I suggest you read up on the subject or speak to families who have lost a dear one.

17. Nawal permalink
    26/09/2017 4:39 am

Absolutely loved your post and your dedication to teaching us about suicide and its prevention possibilities. I think we all can learn something from you. Thank you

18. Ithfifi permalink
    26/09/2017 5:59 am

Thank you for this an insightful and helpful post, it really does need more awareness and you’ve done a fantastic job. I honestly had no idea suicide happened as often as every 12 minutes, that is just horrifying. I am so sorry to hear about your uncle and what you experienced as a family. Throughout my teens I did try to commit suicide a few times.. I’m thankful for the help and support I got, I just wish it was possible for everyone to be able to reach out and to find the help they need in time 😦

• 01/10/2017 11:09 pm

I’m glad you received the love, support and the treatment you needed during your struggle. It is my wish that others will receive same too. I appreciate your honest feedback.

19. abbigaylew permalink
    26/09/2017 6:29 am

wow THOSE STATS ARE SHOCKING! glad you posted this . A lot of people don;t pay much attention to this issue and we definitely need to make more people/ parents aware.

20. deethomson permalink
    26/09/2017 6:58 am

This is such an important topic to be aware of. So many people are dealing with deeper issues that they don’t think they can get away from and it’s really necessary to pay attention and reach out when someone needs help.

21. abccooper17 permalink
    26/09/2017 7:43 am

This is such an important read. It is a big topic in my family because of a friend of my brothers when we were growing up. There are so many people suffering and we don’t always know. It’s so important to keep alert for cues because you just never know when someone needs a little support.

22. lexieanimetravel permalink
    26/09/2017 7:53 am

Honestly I have never had that kind of experience with anyone from my family or relatives or even friends. If ever someone would be in that kind of situation I will do my very most best to prevent his or her desire of suicide. Thank you for this very informative and encouraging post.

23. Kelly Reci permalink
    26/09/2017 8:49 am

Great article. I never thought about this. Everyone should be aware of this,It’s really alarming and scary!

24. Ruthie Ridley (@RuthieRidley) permalink
    26/09/2017 9:31 am

Thank you for shedding light on this very serious topic.

25. Drake Conan permalink
    26/09/2017 9:33 am

This is such an important article. It is important to us to be aware on suicidal. Our lives is very important, so we need to take care of it.

26. Tatiana Sieff permalink
    26/09/2017 1:14 pm

I feel a huge connection to this week’s theme. Mental health is so unbelievably important – a topic that I find very sensitive to talk about but it’s essential. I feel very moved!

27. Gladys S Parker (@momtograndma) permalink
    26/09/2017 2:04 pm

The statistics are heart breaking. My cousin committed Suicide a few minutes after he left my house. No one had any idea except that he wanted his wife back. Mental Illness must get brought to the forefront of America.

28. Venus Fitness-Shannon permalink
    26/09/2017 2:32 pm

An important topic that has touched us all, myself included. People don’t realize how debilitating it can be. thank you for helping to raise awareness.

29. Stephanie JNote permalink
    26/09/2017 4:40 pm

You hit the mark. Yup! Believing in yourself is key. Wow! Didn’t know you were from West Africa. Sorry about your uncle. The thing about life is, you never know how it will turn out and it is important to try to keep a positive forefront no matter what.

30. Berangere Gr permalink
    26/09/2017 5:24 pm

Thank you for these insightful details. I will be sure to be more mindful of people I know and meet and offer help as needed. Sometimes we just need to listen and offer a shoulder

31. Aditi permalink
    26/09/2017 6:12 pm

You have listed lots of important facts on suicides. Prevention is a cumulative societal effort and we all need to play our part.

32. Kristen from The Road to Domestication permalink
    26/09/2017 6:56 pm

This is so important. We all need to be sensitive and on alert when it comes to those around us with tendencies for depression, and worse. We never know when we could make a difference.

33. Kelly permalink
    26/09/2017 9:24 pm

Wow such an interesting post. I am shocked by all the facts about suicide! Such a hard topic and it affects so many people

34. Acupofassamtea permalink
    26/09/2017 10:13 pm

Suicide is something needed to be addressed. Nothing tragic than taking your own life. I lost my friend couple of years back, and pain is still same even after so many years. Thank you, this is helpful for many.

35. Gillie permalink
    26/09/2017 10:54 pm

Suicide is so hard to talk about and the signs are often impossible to interpret. The more it is out in the open the better chance we have of helping someone in need.

36. Czjai Reyes-Ocampo permalink
    26/09/2017 11:06 pm

One thing that we have all learned from Chester Bennigton’s untimely demise is that depression doesn’t have a face or mood. People need to know more about the subtle signs of depression because it’s something that we can’t tell just by looking at someone’s face. 😦

37. Thehyppomyselfthecat permalink
    27/09/2017 2:16 am

Thanks for this post, very sensitive and well explained. I have always wondered why people commit suicide… Then one day, in a very stressful moment of my life in which everything I believed in , was turning into darkness, I found myself asking, if it was worth it. A little voice inside me said “yes, YOU are worth it”. I guess that desperation and loneliness are very bad advisers. From that moment on, I have worked on myself without expecting anything from others, It has been quite a journey, but definitely worth it.

38. thewanderingcore permalink
    27/09/2017 2:22 am

Thoroughly enjoyed reading such an informative post. I didn’t know the stats until this read, I hope I am also able to spread awareness on the topic. We should start looking for initial signs right from stress to depression and maybe then someone in stress can be helped.

39. jasminekeclipse permalink
    27/09/2017 2:25 am

Thank you for writing a post about this topic, it’s a hard topic to cover but you did it really well. I’ve lost a friend to suicide, and it was a terribly difficult time for me, as it was for her family as well. Aside from the person suffering with suicidal thoughts, it leaves the people left behind shaken up and questioning if they could have done more. It’s really, really tough.

40. Erica Ardali permalink
    27/09/2017 2:43 am

In a previous job I answered this hotline. It was really scary at first but over time I learned that that most people just want to be heard.

41. Tiffany Yong permalink
    27/09/2017 4:52 am

Yes, I’ve been seeing a lot of messages and videos out there calling out to the public and telling them that they are not alone! I had a tiff with a colleague some time back when he tried to diss people who suicide~

42. thenafranssen permalink
    27/09/2017 5:15 am

Thank you for this amazing post and read. So important, and not an easy subject to openly right about. ❤

43. Cia Black permalink
    27/09/2017 6:34 am

Suicide is a big issue in the military, I know many who have taken the path, those who sought help and still taken the path, those who still struggle daily with it and those who have “seemingly” conquered it. I say seemingly because I don’t think it’s something you can truly conquer only because the memories are still implanted in ours heads.
    Suicide has essentially surrounded me my whole life. Several Family members, Friends ( we had a student in highschool take his life behind our bleacher my graduating year) and my military family. It’s something that use to be so taboo to talk about and thrown under the rug, but more everyday society is learning that this isn’t going away and the means of help need to be broadcasted. Even with looking for the signs everyone has to be aware that they are not always there. Sometimes the person is amazing at hiding their inner demons. There’s a saying that goes around ” you can’t help those who don’t want help” That saying really annoys me, because maybe the person felt they couldn’t get help. It’s not that they didn’t want it but they didn’t know.
    When I was 13, I didn’t know anything about suicide prevention, I hadn’t even known what depression was. But at 13 I almost became a victim. Because I hid very well.
    I’m sadden about the increase of awareness readiness for suicide but extremely thankful that it is no longer taboo.

• 01/10/2017 10:41 pm

So sorry that this topic has touched home for you in so many ways. It is not an easy subject and we don’t always see the signs but it is imperative that we lift that taboo and give support to people who are struggling with mental health issues… my heart goes out to you and yours. Keep the faith.

44. Summer Mitch Ryan permalink
    27/09/2017 8:17 am

Ending ones life shouldn’t be the last resort. And for some individuals to reach a certain extent where they are devoid of fear of death is something tremendously desperate. Yes, something must be done

45. Sin YeeYee permalink
    27/09/2017 8:40 am

Oh! Thanks for sharing! I never know about this. Should let more people to aware of such awareness month. Suicidal case is increasing. 😦

46. Samantha permalink
    27/09/2017 8:52 am

It is so very important that this issue is talked about worldwide & stops being taboo. Suicide is not as cut & dry as it seems to some people. As a society, we need to stop ignoring the warning signs and stop making people feel ashamed if they are depressed or have mental issues. Each and everyone of us can make a difference, no matter how small it seems.

27/09/2017 9:34 am

I am surprised and sad to hear about the stats regarding suicide. I am shocked that so many people are depressed with life so much as to want to end theirs. Life is beautiful, but it is very sad that some people cannot see the beauty in it.

48. Courtney Blacher permalink
    27/09/2017 10:26 am

1.1 million attempts per year is really devastating statistic. I agree with you that we all have the obligation to recognize people who are prone to suicide around us, and to help them.
    I feel really sorry for your friend, I know when mother loose child, it makes wound that never heals.

49. nicoleflintkontrol permalink
    27/09/2017 10:37 am

Wow those stats! I had no idea. I lost a couple of friends to suicide when I was in high school and I really wish I knew the signs.

50. eileen permalink
    27/09/2017 12:40 pm

Suicide is a horrible thing the surviving family members have to go through. I know they may start to blame themselves for not identifying the signs. The statistics you mentioned in this post is alarming! We definitely have to be more vigilant to know the signs and start saving lives.

51. ashunexpected permalink
    27/09/2017 12:55 pm

Though I haven’t know someone personally who has committed suicide, I do know (unfortunately) many people who have suffered by their loved ones taking their own lives. It is very important to listen for those calls for help and let people know they are not alone. Bringing light to the subject will only help!

52. Making Our Life Matter permalink
    27/09/2017 1:38 pm

This is an important topic that needs to be kept in the light. Suicide is a devastating thing, for the life lost and those left behind.

53. Brown Sugar permalink
    27/09/2017 2:06 pm

Suicide is such a tough topic to cover. Partly because you never know how to handle the situation. The stats u mentioned r really scary but we have to know what we are dealing with so we can be aware and make changes. great read

54. lucicoo permalink
    27/09/2017 2:12 pm

Its a sad and scary statistic, if only we didn’t ridicule people that have depression or the thought of it we might not have this high count.

55. eliza permalink
    27/09/2017 3:58 pm

There’s really a lot of things that goes inside the mind of a person trying to end her/his life. Its good to know that there is this kind of event – suicide prevention month, which will address issues that might help person in need.

56. homeboundbuthopeful permalink
    27/09/2017 4:00 pm

Such a vital topic to be addressed openly and honestly, with clear steps to be taken when you’re worried about someone in your life. Great post to raise awareness!

57. DrKLeeBanks permalink
    27/09/2017 4:07 pm

Our family was touched by suicide last June 15 (2016). My brother-in-law, hubby’s younger brother, hung himself. He had tried before, gone to counseling, was in what appeared to be a healthy relationship, and then … 5 days before Father’s Day, he took his life. All we could figure was he couldn’t handle not seeing his children for another Father’s Day (he and his ex had been divorced for a couple years) and he had been dealing with a great deal of physical pain due to injuries and health conditions. It was still a shock to everyone and my hubby still struggles with the loss of his brother, as they were close.

58. Jhilmil permalink
    27/09/2017 6:07 pm

Suicide, such a painful subject it is. Even hearing of it gives me goosebumps. Didn’t knew that september is suicide awareness/prevention month, we need so many of such posts to create more awareness and prevent lives from being lost. Was very informative and motivational.

59. Keeping Up With Candy permalink
    27/09/2017 6:19 pm

I never really thought the suicide rate was that high or that serious…just people making a big deal of nothing. I thought the same of domestic violence until I heard several people talking about their experience. This is really scary!

60. Jennifer L permalink
    27/09/2017 7:10 pm

Thank you so much for sharing the awareness. Knowing people and dealing with it personally, it’s so heartbreaking to see and feel someone just not see light at the end of the tunnel and to feel so alone.

61. chewoutloud permalink
    27/09/2017 7:29 pm

Thanks for highlighting suicide prevention month. Especially in the high schools these days, and with my kids starting high school next year, it’s so much closer to home when we hear about teen suicides. There really is so so much hope, but they feel so hopeless. Depression and the feeling of hopelessness needs so much more attention and less stigma.

62. esperanzascottogmailcom permalink
    27/09/2017 8:56 pm

Suicide is so sad! It’s so important to raise awareness about suicide and prevention.

63. 27/09/2017 10:44 pm

Hello my dear Eliz I hope all’s well with you? These stats are horrendous and there’s so little real help available. I don’t think here is any better, especially in teenagers, there are so many pressures in today’s society,

• 01/10/2017 10:29 pm

Hello Gilly, Yes, it is a global issue that seems to be on the uptick too. So sorry that I’ve been remiss and haven’t been around lately. Going through some demanding changes that are taking up tons of my offline time.

64. Cristine permalink
    28/09/2017 4:09 am

So many people don’t talk about mental illness and the difficulty to live with it. Thank you for reading awareness on this vital topic

65. jmsterb permalink
    28/09/2017 6:18 am

Suicide prevention is such an important cause. It can be so scary to have friends who are severely depressed, and it’s so difficult to be living with serious depression yourself.

66. Manavi Siddhanti permalink
    28/09/2017 6:55 am

I didn’t know it was suicide prevention month: it’s fabulous and I think this information needs to be shared many times.

67. Utminh permalink
    28/09/2017 8:34 am

A great share. It was very necessary, I understood everything that I was doing, it was like a word of encouragement. I like both your photos, very creative.

68. fasetto permalink
    28/09/2017 11:57 am

I really enjoyed the video you had in your blog. I feel like we have all had deep dark times and struggled at times with this issue. At least I know I have. It is so important to have good friends that love you and wont let you forget that they do.

69. elenasts permalink
    28/09/2017 12:10 pm

It is true that there are at least one or two markers that indicate suicidal thoughts in a person but sometimes we do not see or understand them until it is too late.

70. Eloise permalink
    28/09/2017 1:04 pm

great post to spread awareness on an important topic! It’s a subject many people don’t know how to handle or what to even think about it… I think there tends to be a division between the people who understand those who want to commit suicide and want get them help and others who judge and have never once thought of it and can’t comprehend why anyone would go through such a selfish act… in rare occurrences there are people in the middle view.
    I thank you for sharing your story and love the fact that you are writing about it to inform others!

71. TheMrsTee permalink
    28/09/2017 1:40 pm

I agree with this so strongly. We all do have a role in suicide prevention. Being aware of your friends and family and where they are emotionally while learning to see changes can be so key in helping to prevent something as tragic as suicide.

72. TColeman permalink
    28/09/2017 4:36 pm

I had no idea that this month was awareness for this. I think more often than not we need to speak out about it.

73. kalliamanika permalink
    28/09/2017 7:23 pm

Stats don’t lie. Unfortunately, I have known people that have taken their own lives. Depression takes its toll on people and suicide seems the only way out… I cannot imagine how it has affected your friend, Esmeralda.

74. maddy6686 permalink
    28/09/2017 8:16 pm

What a wonderful reminder for everyone. It is so important to keep an eye on any changes that occur in your loved ones. It’s better to speak up and be wrong then be silent and stand by.

75. Jason Panuelos permalink
    28/09/2017 9:34 pm

Let this month be a reminder to never let calls for help go unanswered. Let’s work together to make a happier world! 😀

76. Fabiola Zefi permalink
    28/09/2017 11:27 pm

Such a good post. I feel that with Social Media and blogs we are bringing more and more awareness to Suicide Prevention. The stats are something else, I had no idea it was that big a problem.

77. simplysensationalfood permalink
    29/09/2017 12:49 am

This is a really informative post about topics that we steer away from as people don’t like to talk about them. Bringing awareness and educating people on such matters is a great thing to do and it gives people more understanding of the topic.

78. Sreekar Harinatha permalink
    29/09/2017 2:12 am

My psychiatrist friend too states that talking to them is the only real thing one can offer. You can understand the pain but truly experiencing it is an entirely different matter I guess!

79. Mohammed Raiyyan Shaik permalink
    29/09/2017 2:52 am

Woah! Informative post. I didn’t realize September is suicide prevention month. Thank you for making me aware. The stats are scary to be honest

80. Jessica Groff permalink
    29/09/2017 4:08 am

This is such a detailed and informative post. Thank you so much for sharing. We don’t talk enough about the issue of suicide as a nation. So thank you!

81. adstanfield25 permalink
    29/09/2017 7:46 am

Thank you so much for this informative post. I am going to do more to get involved in the fight to prevent suicide. It’s got to be a community effort.

Amber S.

82. toastycritic permalink
    29/09/2017 9:17 am

Suicide is so hard on everyone. It’s such a desperate act by a person who feels like they have lost all hope for any form of happiness. That to me just is so sad. And yes we do need to reach out to these people and let them know that they are loved. It doesn’t always fix the problem, but it won’t hurt it for sure.

83. Mike permalink
    29/09/2017 9:29 am

Such an important topic. Thank you for taking the time to put this post together, I hope it really helps someone.

84. Brandi permalink
    29/09/2017 10:25 am

Thank you for sharing this! I’m hearing more and more frequently about mental illness and suicide and feel much more awareness needs to be provoked so thanks for sharing this.

85. Cristine permalink
    29/09/2017 2:11 pm

So many people suffer in silence. Hopefully people who contemplate this issue will get the help that they need.

86. Kristine Nicole Alessandra permalink
    29/09/2017 3:19 pm

Revisited your site today. This post reminded me of a friend I had when I was growing up. She lived in the same street, a few houses away. My friend Gemma was 4 years older than me and so I was surprised when she told me she was pregnant. She was 19. Gemma’s joy turned into desperation when she found out that her boyfriend (the father of her child) was a married man! She wanted to kill herself because she did not want her child to be an illegitimate child. Thankfully, with the support of her family and friends, Gemma was able to realize that if she commits suicide, she would rob her child of the chance of being born and having a life. She then started to see things in a better light, went on with her pregnancy and raised her daughter alone. Her daughter is now a high school Math teacher in an exclusive Catholic boys school, and is happily married with 4 kids. Gemma is now one proud grandmother. 🙂 I am happy we were able to save not just one life, but two!

87. rbekhajblog permalink
    29/09/2017 3:54 pm

This topic is very close to my heart. Thank you for sharing such an informative and respectful post!

88. Tasheena @SimplyTasheena.com permalink
    29/09/2017 8:00 pm

Sorry for the loss of your uncle. I had no idea this month is National Suicide Prevention Month. I had no idea the statics were this alarming

89. Nicole Anderson permalink
    29/09/2017 8:18 pm

Such a difficult subject for most to discuss openly and yet by doing this, we help many to be more awake to the issue. I have been lucky enough not to personally know anyone who has committed suicide, although I have seen the effects on someone else who lost a loved one. Tragic, especially when people didn’t recognise the warning signs until it was too late and then felt really guilty later.

90. Shawna permalink
    30/09/2017 8:22 am

I absolutely love this post! In the past year, I actually lost two people to suicide (mental health). I wish the resources were more readily available for everyone and that it wasn’t made a mockery of to seek the help someone may need. Thank you for bringing awareness to this!

91. GD Blog permalink
    30/09/2017 9:42 am

I’m so glad to see posts about suicide-prevention awareness. My news feeds are also popping-up posts like this. It’s really important to talk about this, no matter where you are. These resources are very helpful, and its a good start to spread the awareness. The more information that we can spread out, the better chance we can do to minimize those stats.

92. Garf permalink
    30/09/2017 10:26 am

The stats are concerning. It is sad to think about. I am going through some difficult times and I am really trying my best to be positive and motivated.

93. prettyandcocoa permalink
    30/09/2017 2:58 pm

The stats on this topic are shocking. I wasn’t aware that a suicide occurs every 12.5 minutes. Raising awareness is only the first step to help reduce these occurrences. Bringing this issue to the forefront will helpfully help to get more state or federal support. Great post.

94. Melanie Poulos Walsh permalink
    01/10/2017 8:07 am

With another celebrity suicide recently, this topic has been on my mind. I’m grateful we are having conversations about it. So often people think that they are alone but having open discussions may help. I appreciate your friend has turned the loss of her son into a way to honor him by helping others. When I think of Suicide Prevention Month, Andrew will be in my thoughts as well.

95. Tita Pacita permalink
    01/10/2017 8:45 am

I didn’t know it was suicide prevention month as well, but it’s amazing how you took time to gather all the info so we can bookmark this page, too. Thank you for laying down all the ways we can help and contribute. I believe also that each person is going through something and that kindness, even to strangers, goes a long way 🙂

96. Jenn Leach permalink
    01/10/2017 12:27 pm

I don’t know anyone who has ever taken their life. This is a very important issue. Thanks for bringing awareness to it.

97. helerinablogs permalink
    01/10/2017 1:10 pm

The figures really are shocking aren’t they. The recent high profile suicides recently prove that anyone can be at risk. It’s great more people are speaking out about the warning signs of it.

98. lavandamichelle permalink
    01/10/2017 5:19 pm

What a very important topic and cause. With the Neflix series “13 Reasons Why” my children have so many questions, and the information O found it both scared and refreshing. There is a lot out there, I’m prayerful that people know how to seek help.

99. Carol M. permalink
    01/10/2017 7:51 pm

I’ve know people who had committed suicide and I’m sad that they weren’t able to get the help they needed. I also shared your post to some of my friend so that they’ll be aware. Thanks!

100. Bianca A. Nunez permalink
    01/10/2017 9:28 pm

My heart cries out when I learned sometime in our town has taken their own life. This does not need to be the usual. This needs to change ! We need to have more information to those who need it and help as well!

101. aniahalama permalink
    02/10/2017 1:59 am

Suicide prevention awareness is so important. It breaks my heart when I hear someone has committed suicide. It’s so important to be aware and know when someone might be thinking of suicide.

102. maria magdalena (@invinitelearn) permalink
    02/10/2017 3:20 am

I agree everyone has a role to prevent suicide.This world is full of people who don’t care about others. That’s why we have to raise the awareness.

103. RAMon permalink
    02/10/2017 4:22 am

It’s so easy to forget how common it is, and to ignore the signs. We need reminders like this.

104. StressedMum (@stressedmum01) permalink
    02/10/2017 4:52 am

It really is heartbreaking reading the statistics round suicide, someone I know found her friends son earlier this year it was just so distressing for everyone and even more so that they had no idea he felt this was his only option. It is such an important message to get out x

105. Eileen permalink
    02/10/2017 8:19 am

Sometimes we cannot understand what drives people to take their own lives. Their reasons for it they took to the grave with them. I think we must always be aware of the signs that someone is fighting a battle deep inside themselves. Show empathy, offer to help, just be there for them when they need to talk. Who knows that a short 10 minute talk can save a life!

106. Morgan | The Pursuit of Play permalink
    02/10/2017 10:58 am

Such as sad but extremely important topic. It is devastating to think of how alone those who have committed suicide have felt. Hold your loved ones close!

107. rebeccakelsey permalink
    02/10/2017 5:01 pm

This is such an important topic that needs more public attention. Thank you for sharing this with us. I love the quote you shared in particular, it’s something I’ve seen as true time and time again.

02/10/2017 6:11 pm

The statistics for suicide around the world is really alarming. I do hope I do not encounter such a case among close friends and family. It would be too distressing to deal with.

109. Sreekar Harinatha permalink
    02/10/2017 10:08 pm

As you rightly point out, time is really of essence and waiting for someone else to address the sense of impending doom is not the way to go about it. Its better to be proactive and pick up the signs before its too late!

110. Blair Villanueva permalink
    02/10/2017 11:27 pm

It is an inspiring post. Suicidal have no face, we need constant support about the suicidal awareness.

111. franckxethee permalink
    03/10/2017 12:59 am

The awareness campaign can really save lives. Reaching out to depressed people can give them enough boost to their morale.

112. Laura Dove permalink
    03/10/2017 6:07 am

I lost four of my classmates to suicide over the last few years and so this is something close to my heart. More needs to be done to reach out to these people before it’s too late.

113. DecoPix (@TiinaTibs) permalink
    04/10/2017 9:28 am

Oh, this is a heavy topic! There was a time when I was really concerned about the situation of one of my loved ones, but luckily the situation has become better now but not completely over,

114. Ana De-Jesus permalink
    04/10/2017 10:26 am

There have been times in my life where I have been in a really dark place and raising awareness of suicide prevention is so key. Some people have no escape from the darkness and no support. We need to speak out about this more !

115. toastycritic permalink
    04/10/2017 12:27 pm

THank you for all you do to promote awareness to this difficult topic. It’s so hard when the loved ones around us feel like they are desperate enough to take that final act. 😦

116. Nayna Kanabar (@SIMPLYF00D) permalink
    04/10/2017 3:58 pm

This is one topic people find rather hard to discuss. People who choose to take their own lives must do it when they feel desperate, if you pick up signs and can help people who are fighting these demons its one less life lost.

117. alisonrost permalink
    04/10/2017 7:37 pm

Beautifully said. My son spent much of his teenage years in drug rehab centers. Depression and suicidal thoughts were something many of the kids suffered from. I wanted to say “You have your whole long and beautiful life ahead of you” .. but often times they couldn’t see beyond today. I’m so glad there is a month devoted to this problem. x

118. thecraftkeeper permalink
    05/10/2017 1:03 pm

It is so important to drive attention to this matter. Here in Australia we have a R U Ok that that motivates ppl to worry about their friends and recognise the symptoms. Great article

119. Florence permalink
    06/10/2017 6:07 pm

I have a cousin who tried few times to take her life away. Our family only noticed she wasn’t ok when she tried for the first time. Very hard battle. We all need to stand up and ask for help.

120. lavandamichelle permalink
    08/10/2017 6:03 pm

When I was a teen a classmate always joked about running away from home or running in Traffic. Many people laughed at it, but I shared it with my mom. My mom told the teacher and principal. This girl had attempted suicide twice. In high school we were at separate school but I always saw her in the neighborhood. We would watch the boys play basketball and write. While in college I learned she was successful in her last attempt and I was haunted because I didn’t reach out to her during college.

1. Motivation Mondays: SAILING | Mirth and Motivation
  2. Author Interview – Bobby Nash – Award Winning Author & Writer of Novels, Novellas, Comic Books, Graphic Novels & Screenplays (Sci-Fi/Crime/Thriller) | toofulltowrite (I've started so I'll finish)
  3. Motivation Mondays: PERCEPTION | Mirth and Motivation