Motivation Mondays: PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE

09/03/2015

“Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.” Napoleon Hill

Motivation Mondays: PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE - Patient as an Oyster

Motivation Mondays: PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE – Patient as an Oyster

Never cut a tree down in the wintertime. Never make a negative decision in the low time. Never make your most important decisions when you are in your worst moods. Wait. Be patient. The storm will pass. The spring will come.
Robert H. Schuller

How often have you given up a goal because the results were not coming fast enough? How often do you give up because others have told you it won’t happen/you’re not good enough/you are not qualified? To stay motivated, we need to have patience with ourselves and others. When we allow life’s challenges and the opinions of others to get in the way of our dreams, we give up our chance to live our life fully and on our own terms. Just because a stranger, a disgruntled teacher, a sour friend or an unsupportive relative think your precious goal is a pipe dream, doesn’t mean you should abandon your diligence and give up your big dream. Work at your goals with patience, act on the things that matter, and with effort and time, you will realize your goals. It might not happen exactly the way you expected but, great good will come of it. Like the Oyster that takes a very long time to produce a pearl, patience has its rewards. Your pearls – the rewards of effort await you. What will you do?

“Patience is not simply the ability to wait – it’s how we behave while we’re waiting.”  Joyce Meyer

Motivation Mondays: PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE - Patient as an Oyster

Motivation Mondays: PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE – Patient as an Oyster

I have seen many storms in my life. Most storms have caught me by surprise, so I had to learn very quickly to look further and understand that I am not capable of controlling the weather, to exercise the art of patience and to respect the fury of nature. Paulo Coelho

A Story: Go Get Your Banana
What is your MO for a successful life? A group of scientists conducted a study to determine what character trait makes people give up or work diligently at a goal. They hired a group of monkeys, took two of them into a banana garden and let them loose. Their first impulse was to climb the banana tree and grab a bunch to eat. However, every time they clambered up the tree, a bright light would shine on them and a hidden water sprout would douse them with water. The first monkey backed down and tried again. Same problem. So he gave up. The second monkey tried a different banana tree but, you guessed it, he too was doused with water and after a few tries, he gave up.
The Scientists removed one monkey and brought in a new one who tried and failed like the other two. Then the Scientists decided to just keep adding one monkey after another to see if any would be courageous enough to follow through in spite of the dousing. Something interesting happened. As new monkeys were added, the ones before them discouraged them from even trying. The first few had tried and given up and, after that, every monkey that came on board didn’t stand a chance to even test their own resolve.They were discouraged and pulled back. What is the lesson learned here? Who is discouraging you from patiently pursuing your dreams?

The details for Motivation Mondays are below. Join in! The themes for March are:
03/02 – READ
03/09 – Patience
03/16 – Responsibility
03/23 – Health
03/30 – Strength

“Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.” John Quincy Adams

Motivation Mondays: PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE - Patient as an Oyster

Motivation Mondays: PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE – Patient as an Oyster

Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. It is far better take things as they come along with patience and equanimity. Carl Jung

What stops you from working diligently at your craft and goals? What some people don’t realize is that there is no perfect time to do A, B or C. The perfect time to start is now. You want to start a business? Start now and then patiently help it grow. You want to write that book? Start now, and work at it with patience. A page a day/week is better than no pages at all. A popular saying that successful people use is “The harder I work, the luckier I become.” Every effort we make towards our self-improvement bears fruit. Often what happens is that we start a project or a plan and then, when the challenges get tougher and the naysayers speak louder, we begin to doubt ourselves. We start questioning the veracity of our ideas and then, with enough pressure and discouragement from others, we abandon our dreams and settle for less than we truly are. With patience, we can master difficult situations and once we do, we become motivated and inspired to move forward again.

Positive Motivation Tip:  Be patient and work diligently at your goals. In time, you will earn your just reward.

Motivation Mondays is open to anyone who wishes to share a motivational quote, photo, personal challenge or a post that encourages others to start the week on an upbeat note.
Basic Instructions: Each week, I will have a motivation word to help us create a response. (See listed words for end of November and all of December below)
Email address: You may email or share your post as a comment and I will add it to the round-up of related posts. email it to: contact(@)mirthandmotivation(.)com
Category tag: – Share your post using Motivation Mondays
Twitter hashtag: – Use this on Twitter #MotvnM
Dedicated Page: There is a dedicated page for Motivation Mondays. It has the same instructions and will include other helpful tools and a link to the round-up
Facebook Page: MotivationOnMondays Join our page and add your post and/or any motivational piece you think will be helpful to others.
Facebook Community: We have a Facebook community forum to compliment the page. It serves as another way to share uplifting posts and thoughts. Please join in and add your voice.

Badge: – I created a fun badge using PicMonkey’s free photo editing tools. You can create your own, use WordPress’ integrated tool on your blog or you are welcome to use mine. (see dedicated page)
Tag: – Motivation Mondays
Hashtag: – #MotvnM

Related Posts

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos: Fresh Oyster, Still life Oyster,Black Pearl,

1. 09/03/2015 1:14 pm

‘Persevere’ was my high school motto and I’m quite a determined person – ‘thrawn’ is a great Scottish word that describes a stubborn and persistent attitude. I also like the advice I was once given by a wise friend – ‘in the bad times,don’t go back on resolutions made in the good times.’ Thanks for this inspiring post 🙂

2. michele d permalink
    09/03/2015 2:47 pm

I believe in patience. Sometimes the things we need or want don’t come right away but they always make around. Love your quotes!

3. Ben Butler permalink
    09/03/2015 3:18 pm

Patience is a virtue because it’s so hard to find it and keep it. I constantly have to remind myself to keep my cool and just let it roll.

4. SaraJayne permalink
    09/03/2015 3:51 pm

Schüller was such a wise man. I love quotes like that which really hit home and make complete sense to me.

5. Jeanine permalink
    09/03/2015 4:33 pm

I need to work on my patience. I feel it’s worn thin most days and I’m working on it. I usually have a bubble bath or run when I feel my patience is running out and it helps. Some times it’s just needed.

6. Chubskulit Rose permalink
    09/03/2015 5:57 pm

I believe in patience and hard work, if you have these two, you will certainly reap the reward for what you are striving for. Great motivations here.

7. Liz Mays permalink
    09/03/2015 6:13 pm

Patience seems like something that a lot of people learn later in life. It’s not easy in some situations but it’s very important.

8. lisa permalink
    09/03/2015 7:20 pm

I’m terrible at patience. It’s s something I need to work on.

9. upliftingfam permalink
    09/03/2015 8:31 pm

Thank you for this motivational post. I remember my early blogging days it wasn’t always pretty. Over time, my writing has improved. I never imagined being a writer. I agree that you can do anything you put your mind too. You might have to try different things and make mistakes but you will get there eventually.

10. Erin permalink
    09/03/2015 8:32 pm

You’re so right. There is no perfect time to do things. I find that much of my holding back comes from being a mom. Lol, plain and simple. My two year old is just such a handful {not kidding, he’s figured out every child lock in the house} so its tough for me to stay aboard the creative train.

11. Dominique Goh permalink
    09/03/2015 8:37 pm

Patience is certainly something which everyone should cultivate. It sure makes one a better person .

12. Heather permalink
    09/03/2015 9:24 pm

I like that Robert H. Schuller quote. Making decisions in haste based solely on emotion usually does lead to bad decisions. Great post.

13. Beth permalink
    09/03/2015 9:27 pm

Patience is a virtue. And sometimes I have that virtue and sometimes I don’t.

14. HilLesha permalink
    09/03/2015 10:39 pm

I’ll admit that patience is something I have always struggled with, but I have come a long, long way over the years. Having patience definitely pays off in the end. 🙂

15. roselynn permalink
    09/03/2015 11:08 pm

I’ve often been told I have the patience of a saint in some situations. Comparably to my husband, he makes me look like a hot head. I don’t know how he does it but he has such a serene level of patience. It’s impressive.

16. mrsmom permalink
    09/03/2015 11:37 pm

What a fascinating study! As for my goals and motivation, it’s me that holds me back. If I think I can fail, I tend to quit. It’s a pathetic lesson my parents taught me through their own bad behaviors…I’m working on it 🙂

17. Debbie Denny permalink
    10/03/2015 3:22 am

Love this post. Patience is something many do not have.

18. Crystal permalink
    10/03/2015 4:39 am

Patience is definitely a virtue. One that I must work on everyday.

19. R U S S permalink
    10/03/2015 4:39 am

Patience is something that I’ve been working on. Im not really that much of a patient person – there are times when I would like to see results immediately. But like what I said, I’ve been working on it and I’ve noticed that I am more able to keep my emotions at bay and have become more accepting that there are things I cannot control. At the same time, I always remind myself that I have to be easy on myself too.

• 12/03/2015 11:56 pm

True. I feel that way too. There are things I won’t compromise on and there are things I feel are not worth the energy or investment of time. Patience comes in different ways for all of us.

20. Rebel Sweetheart permalink
    10/03/2015 6:56 am

Love that quote from Paulo Coelho. Thanks for the inspiration!

21. Scott permalink
    10/03/2015 6:56 am

Patience may be a virtue, but he who procrastinates is lost.

22. Beth Williams permalink
    10/03/2015 7:21 am

Wow, those oysters insides are really pretty! Love your metaphor for that and patience.

23. Dhemz permalink
    10/03/2015 9:44 am

what a great motivation post…thanks for sharing! I would love to have that kind of pendant…looks genuine!

24. 10/03/2015 9:58 am

Unless it’s concerning my kiddos, patience has never been a strong point for me. It’s something that I’ve been working on since I was a child.

25. 10/03/2015 10:55 am

Wonderful pictures – and a great lesson to go with them!

26. Megan Elford permalink
    10/03/2015 12:18 pm

Patience is such a difficult trait to learn! But it’s also one that can’t be learned without the opportunity to experience delayed gratification. As our attention spans get shorter and shorter, so does our patience and our will to work hard to reach our goals. It’s something we all need to be intentional about working on!

27. Krystal's Kitsch permalink
    10/03/2015 12:40 pm

The oyster photos are beautiful. Patience is a beautiful virtue to strive for!

28. yumeating permalink
    10/03/2015 2:01 pm

I have 0 amounts of patience. I have been this way for as long as I can remember. A lot of it stems from my mental health disorders. it can be quite frustrating.

29. 10/03/2015 5:08 pm

Patience is definitely a virtue. I find myself saying this often.

30. Lisa permalink
    10/03/2015 6:42 pm

I often struggle with this because I lack patience! This is a great post and some great reminders about why it’s so important to be patient in life!

31. maggiesblog2 permalink
    10/03/2015 6:53 pm

Patience IS a virtue…..one that I need more of sometimes!

32. 10/03/2015 6:59 pm

Pearls are the perfect example to illustrate ‘patience’ – an object that takes a long time to develop into something amazing, if you wait long enough. I think I’m pretty good with being patient.

33. katrinagehman permalink
    10/03/2015 7:25 pm

such pretty pearls!!!! great pics 🙂

34. Michelle Varga (@dustbunniesblog) permalink
    10/03/2015 7:29 pm

Patience really is a virtue. It’s still something I’m working on.

35. 10/03/2015 7:54 pm

Your posts are always so inspiring. This is an awesome quote from Napoleon Hill to start with. But the one from Joyce Meyer is a classic, as the way we behave, the way we express our self during waiting is what defines patience in full.

36. Mystarlight Blessing permalink
    10/03/2015 8:04 pm

Patience is such an important trait to have although it is not so easy to have it. I think we can train ourselves to learn the lesson that great things can come to those who wait. Great article!

37. 10/03/2015 9:07 pm

Whew, striking a chord, hitting a nerve…whatever you want to call it. You nailed something right here for me with this one. 🙂

38. Carly Anderson permalink
    10/03/2015 9:15 pm

I love this, and it came at the perfect time for me!

39. Ana permalink
    10/03/2015 11:09 pm

Definitely agree with the quote about patience being more than just waiting! I find this to be sooo true and challenging when you have little ones!

40. Lauren permalink
    10/03/2015 11:16 pm

I love today’s post!! Patience is a great virtue to have (I wish I had more patience haha!)

41. Rebecca Swenor permalink
    11/03/2015 3:40 am

This is an awesome post indeed. I love the story about the monkeys which I found very interesting indeed. We tend to listen to others who discourage us too often. We need to keep trying to jump at what is in front of us. Thanks so much for sharing.

• 12/03/2015 11:21 pm

Phew! Finally, I’m glad you read the monkey experiment as it’s an important part of the post and a lesson on learning patience. TY! 🙂

11/03/2015 7:11 am

Those are such beautiful photos of pearls you have there. I think these natural gems from inside a clam is really nature’s treasure with unmatched beauty. – Fred

43. erica permalink
    11/03/2015 9:26 am

Patience is something I’m still working on. I thought I had enough but dealing with a child with disabilities I’m faced with having more patience every day.

44. 11/03/2015 10:07 am

Patience is a virtue! – I totally agree with this and this is one of the famous lines in our household because I always say the line whenever the hubs loses his patience. 🙂

45. Nanda Reis permalink
    11/03/2015 4:39 pm

I find patience a very hard virtue to obtain. Either you are born with it, or you learn the hard way.. If you weren’t born with it life will sure teach you, but it won’t be easy..

46. Ann Bacciaglia permalink
    11/03/2015 4:41 pm

I am working on being more patient. As i get older i find i have a lot more patience for things. This is a great post.

47. 11/03/2015 5:02 pm

hey this is really an inspiring post and the pearl and oyster photos perfectly represents patience. thanks for sharing this! following your blog now 🙂

48. The Pinterested Parent permalink
    11/03/2015 6:09 pm

This is great. I have been trying to teach my daughter & myself about the importance of patience. My daughter knows this phrase all too well.

49. Virginia permalink
    11/03/2015 6:34 pm

Patience truly is a virtue! Love your motivation mondays!

50. Chene Atkins- Whittington permalink
    11/03/2015 7:56 pm

I’m always working on my patience. My kids have me going every which way and I never have time to think

51. tweenselmom permalink
    11/03/2015 8:42 pm

It’s true. In this fast-paced world where everyone wants to do things fast, it’s very hard to have patience.

52. 11/03/2015 9:57 pm

How often have you given up a goal because the results were not coming fast enough? Very often, sometimes, it’s not just because the results were not coming fast enough or there were a lot of disagreeing voices, but also because we have limited resources to keep the perseverance going. 😦

53. yvonnembertoldo permalink
    11/03/2015 10:14 pm

It really is hard to be patient,but you should always have that virtue to succeed in life

54. dareandconquer permalink
    12/03/2015 1:59 am

Hey elizabeth,thanks for sharing that article.By the way by reading the napoleon hill quote i suppose you have read his book “think and grow rich” uh? awesome book. If you havent read it i highly recommend it.

55. dareandconquer permalink
    12/03/2015 1:59 am

56. Pal Raine permalink
    12/03/2015 2:04 am

A nice motivation that helps you to achieve your daily goal. Sometimes we forget to WAIT..We tend to forget that, and when we do we start being afraid. Afraid that at the end we will be blamed for everything. Have patience to be tolerant of others.

57. Elana Khong permalink
    12/03/2015 2:21 am

Never give up. With time and determination, you will achieve your goal soon!

58. Peachy A. permalink
    12/03/2015 2:24 am

I so need this motivation right here Liz. Thanks so much for sharing this post

59. sriches permalink
    12/03/2015 6:14 am

I am too impatient sometimes however my stubbornness does get me through – especially on my weight loss challenge! Sim x

60. Aisha Kristine Chong permalink
    12/03/2015 10:57 am

I love this saying. Me and my friend were talking about patience as well. it’s an ongoing lesson to all.

61. Sunshine Kelly permalink
    12/03/2015 11:09 am

Agree with you that patience is virtue, its easy to say but hard to do,

62. martha preston permalink
    12/03/2015 2:22 pm

I am aware patience is a virtue I think in high pressure its harder to remember

63. Nicol Wong permalink
    12/03/2015 2:46 pm

yes i agree! but at times, i think, how long do we wait before it starts wasting our time

64. Modern Pilgrim permalink
    12/03/2015 7:45 pm

We could all use some more motivation! I am looking forward to the series on strength later this month. Thanks!

65. phyliciamarie permalink
    12/03/2015 8:21 pm

everything you said here is just true. I sometimes find myself getting impatient and losing sight on my goals, not thinking that a little more patience could have gotten me to my goals already.

66. The Trophy WifeStyle permalink
    12/03/2015 8:53 pm

I have learned over time that patience really is very important!! Good things come to those who wait 😉

67. franc permalink
    13/03/2015 1:13 am

I like the advice on not making key decisions on your low points. We would have a clearer perspective once the uncertainty has lapsed.

68. 13/03/2015 5:58 am

Life is your oyster! My favorite bit of advice to myself is a quote by Seneca: “Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.” You create your own luck through hard work and patience! It pays off.

69. Vanessa permalink
    14/03/2015 4:48 am

Impatience is typical of young age. In my 20s I remember being rushing into things head over heels, and the consequences of my impatient actions were disastrous. Now when I am in my 30s, I learned to be patient and think before I act. Patience is a virtue, indeed.

70. 14/03/2015 6:38 am

I really didn’t know this. I’m glad you shared this one. Patience indeed is important in all aspect in life.

71. Shannon Gurnee permalink
    15/03/2015 9:34 am

These are some great quotes. I love the one that says that patience is not simply the ability to wait, but how we behave while we’re waiting.

72. Kylie permalink
    15/03/2015 10:08 pm

Pearl is always awesomely beautful! I love it very much!

1. Motivation Mondays: Responsibility | Mirth and Motivation
  2. Motivation Mondays: HEALTH | Mirth and Motivation
  3. Motivation Mondays: STRENGTH | Mirth and Motivation
  4. Motivation Mondays: PERFECTION | Mirth and Motivation
  5. Motivation Mondays: MISTAKES! | Mirth and Motivation
  6. Motivation Mondays: GROWTH | Mirth and Motivation
  7. Motivation Mondays: MINDFULNESS | Mirth and Motivation
  8. Motivation Mondays: APPRECIATION | Mirth and Motivation
  9. Motivation Mondays: HAPPINESS | Mirth and Motivation
  10. Motivation Mondays: What’s A Wellness, Fitness & Healthy LifeStyle? | Mirth and Motivation
  11. Motivation Mondays: Honoring SERVICE | Mirth and Motivation
  24. Motivation Mondays: PURPOSE | Mirth and Motivation
  25. Motivation Mondays: FAILURE | Mirth and Motivation
  26. Motivation Mondays: HOPE | Mirth and Motivation
  27. Motivation Mondays: Labor & Literacy | Mirth and Motivation
  28. Motivation Mondays: Positive Thinking | Mirth and Motivation
  29. Motivation Mondays: Partnerships For Peace | Mirth and Motivation
  30. Motivation Mondays: Good Neighbors & Goodwill #GoodNeighborDay | Mirth and Motivation
  31. Motivation Mondays: SMILE #mondaymotivation | Mirth and Motivation
  32. Motivation Mondays: HOLIDAY SPIRIT #mondaymotivation | Mirth and Motivation
  33. Motivation Mondays: International Women’s Day #IWD2016 | Mirth and Motivation
  34. Motivation Mondays: EARTH DAY | Mirth and Motivation
  35. Motivation Mondays: Serendipity | Mirth and Motivation
  36. Motivation Mondays: Matters Of The Heart | Mirth and Motivation
  37. Motivation Mondays: RELAXATION | Mirth and Motivation
  38. Motivation Mondays: PREPARED | Mirth and Motivation
  39. Motivation Mondays: AWE | Mirth and Motivation
  40. Motivation Mondays: Happy Valentine’s Day | Mirth and Motivation
  41. Motivation Mondays: Honoring Presidents’ Day | Mirth and Motivation
  42. Motivation Mondays: Reflections On Easter & Passover | Mirth and Motivation
  43. Motivation Mondays: Earth Day for Environmental & Climate Literacy | Mirth and Motivation
  44. Motivation Mondays: BREATHE | Mirth and Motivation