Motivation Mondays: GRATITUDE

24/11/2014

“Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.” Oprah Winfrey

Motivation Mondays: GRATITUDE - Be Grateful for each moment.

Motivation Mondays: GRATITUDE – Be Grateful for each moment.

I Am Thankful by Anon
I am thankful for the wife who says it’s hot dogs tonight because she is home with me and not with someone else.
For the husband who is on the sofa who is being a couch potato because he is home with me and not out at the bars.
For the teenager who is complaining about doing dishes, because he or she is at home, not on the streets.
For the taxes that I pay, because it means that I am employed.
For the mess to clean-up after a party, because it means that I have been surrounded by friends.
For the clothes that fit a little too snug, because it means I have enough to eat.

Gratitude Is an Attitude: A single act of gratitude can turn around our lives and the lives of those we come in contact with. In this season of Thanksgiving, let’s make an extra effort to lift someone up and share some goodwill. What is the first thing you do when you wake up in the morning? If we start our day with thankful thoughts, our thoughts will  create an energy field of goodness around us. If we start the day in anticipation for all the good things that will come our way, we will attract same. If we wallow in dread, we might miss an opportunity we’ve wished for all year. Our attitude makes a huge difference.

Every day we are able to open our eyes, move our limbs, and start our day is a gift. We can choose to fritter it away with idle chatter and angry words. We can choose to be thankful and treat each moment we have breath with reverence and a spirit of gratitude. Whatever we choose will impact our outcome. Some of us spend our lives waiting for the If only I had  ….. X moment.  The fact is that now is as good a moment as any other time or day we choose to make a shift in our lives. When we open our eyes,  release all our excuses or reasons for not moving forward,  we will see that every moment is the right moment to start.  When the urge to change or act calls, answer it. If we ignore that inner urge, years later, we will find ourselves still waiting. Get motivated to shift or change an attitude today.

“For me, every hour is grace. And I feel gratitude in my heart each time I can meet someone and look at his or her smile.” Elie Wiesel

Motivation Mondays: GRATITUDE - Cultivate a thankful heart.

Motivation Mondays: GRATITUDE – Cultivate a thankful heart. moment.

For my shadow that watches me work, because it means I am in the sunshine.
For a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning, and gutters that need fixing, because it means I have a home.
For all the complaining I hear about the government, because it means that we have freedom of speech.
For the parking spot I find at the far end of the parking lot, because it means I am able to walk and that I have been blessed with transportation.
For my huge heating bill, because it means I am warm.
For the lady behind me in church that sings off key, because it means that I can hear.

Gratitude Is Graceful: What is the last thing you do before turning in for the night or leaving on a trip?  Spend some time and reflect on the keys events that occurred during the day. If there were lessons learned, be thankful for them. Do you ever stop to say ‘thank you’ for the inspiration and grace that comes through others? Sadly, some of us don’t like to give credit where it is due. Some of us have a deprivation mentality that makes us feel like we will lose everything if we give away something. Of course, the not so secret lesson is that the more we give from the heart, the more we receive.   There is a graceful door that opens when we are genuinely generous with others. Try it!

Even though I write quite a bit of motivational and inspirational pieces on this blog, I’ve always wanted to dedicate a day to focus on writing a weekly motivational post. It simmered in my brain for a few years and I made endless, mostly ego driven, excuses why I shouldn’t do it. Then, one day during the Blogging 201 course, an assignment helped me take that leap. I was grateful for the tips given and recognized, as Oprah said above, that I had enough to do it. I had enough to be thankful for and waiting for the perfect moment was unnecessary.  My blog friends,  Gloria, Loud Thinkin and Richelle reminded me that my life has, in the last 4 years, been a miracle. Even in my darkest hours, I chose to see the good around me. I know that what we spend our time doing/thinking is what we experience. Happiness is not only about having enough, it is also about recognizing the daily miracles around us and knowing that we are enough. You are enough, so be grateful for that and remind others you meet that they are enough too. That is the grace that comes with gratitude.

The details for Motivation Mondays are below. Join in! The themes for December are:

12/01 – Acceptance

12/08 – Busyness

12/15 – Compassion

12/22 – Joy

12/29 – Regret

More below!

“As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.” John F. Kennedy

Motivation Mondays: GRATITUDE - Be Actively Grateful. Help others.

Motivation Mondays: GRATITUDE – Be Actively Grateful. Help others.

For the pile of laundry and ironing, because it means I have clothes to wear.
For weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day, because it means I have been capable of working hard.
For the alarm that goes off in the early morning hours, because it means that I am alive.
Finally, for too much email, because it means I have friends who are thinking of me. (via inspirational short stories.com)

Gratitude Is Action: Every time we feel the joy of life and the bubbling up of energy within our bodies, we can share that joy by helping others. This holiday season, take action by helping at a homeless shelter or soup kitchen. Take action by donating to charities that help those in need. Take action by helping that poor neighbor or poor families in your community and around you. Take action by giving help to a homeless person instead of judging them. Take action by motivating yourself and others to help and serve. Take action by doing good. That is Gratitude in action.

Motivation Mondays is open to anyone who wishes to share a motivational quote, photo, personal challenge or a post that encourages others to start the week on an upbeat note.

Basic Instructions: Each week, I will have a motivation word to help us create a response. (See listed words for end of November and all of December below)
Email address: You may email or share your post as a comment and I will add it to the round-up of related posts. email it to: contact(@)mirthandmotivation(.)com
Category tag: – Share your post using Motivation Mondays
Twitter hashtag: – Use this on Twitter #MotvnM
Dedicated Page: There is a dedicated page for Motivation Mondays. It has the same instructions and will include other helpful tools and a link to the round-up
Facebook Page: MotivationOnMondays Join our page and add your post and/or any motivational piece you think will be helpful to others.
Facebook Community: We have a Facebook community forum to compliment the page. It serves as another way to share uplifting posts and thoughts. Please join in and add your voice.

Badge: – I created a fun badge using PicMonkey’s free photo editing tools. You can create your own, use WordPress’ integrated tool on your blog or you are welcome to use mine. (see dedicated page)
Tag: – Motivation Mondays
Hashtag: – #MotvnM

Positive Motivation Tip:  A single act of gratitude can turn our lives around. Do good for others this season.

Related Posts

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos: Alan Cohen quote and Annette Bridges quote via Facebook. Revelation Studios via Wikipedia

1. emma.m permalink
    24/11/2014 8:49 am

Great post! Here’s my contribution! 🙂

2. iaminlander permalink
    24/11/2014 8:52 am

Thanks for the motivational quotes. This is a great way to start my week.

3. Gillian permalink
    24/11/2014 8:57 am

Love your post. reminds me to be thankful for each and everyone that stood by me during my times of need too 🙂

4. leybainpublic permalink
    24/11/2014 9:14 am

This is something I really need to start my work week right. Thanks for this one!

5. franckxethee permalink
    24/11/2014 9:32 am

I think being grateful can really make us feel better. For one, we count more on our blessings and is thankful for them.

6. 24/11/2014 10:21 am

I am grateful for YOU.

7. 24/11/2014 10:47 am

This is really powerful. I’m doing this all this year and it’s amazing how your daily life can change. When you are grateful (also you you are clear on what you want) you allow miracles happen in your life…and they really show up! Thank’s for remind me this!

8. 24/11/2014 11:14 am

Love motivation Mondays. So full of inspiration! Will be linking up soon 🙂

9. 24/11/2014 12:32 pm

I so enjoyed the flavor of your thankfulness.

10. Masshole Mommy permalink
    24/11/2014 2:57 pm

It is important to appreciate all we have in life and not take anything for granted

11. 24/11/2014 2:58 pm

That I Am Thankful anonymous poem sure puts things into perspective, doesn’t it? I also like the poem on the pumpkin with the glass half full mentality.

12. 24/11/2014 3:05 pm

I know i have it pretty good.. with my family and sourroundings.. but sometimes it is hard to give gratitude where it is.. like today.. not sure why.

13. Michelle permalink
    24/11/2014 3:21 pm

Gorgeous picture. I love how luminous this picture is.

24/11/2014 5:30 pm

Thank you for this post. As a people we always say Thank You. I may be strange but we respond with a Thank You when people thank us. – Fred

15. Michael Angelo permalink
    24/11/2014 5:42 pm

What a great way to start your day reading all these. This is very motivational and thank you so much !

16. rochkirstin permalink
    24/11/2014 5:48 pm

I’m always thankful for the things that are happening to me. Thanks for the message today. Every hour/every second indeed is grace.

17. Jenni E. {Sweet Pennies from Heaven} permalink
    24/11/2014 6:16 pm

I learned early on in life to be grateful for what I have. There are still times though, when I get the “oh poor pitiful me’s” but I think everyone goes through times like that.

18. Courtney permalink
    24/11/2014 6:36 pm

Omg absolutely love this post!!! I’m a huge law of attraction person so I’m all about gratitude and knowing its the root to happiness ❤

19. Kylie permalink
    24/11/2014 7:33 pm

The feeling of gratitude will make everyone happy with their life..

20. Lisa Bristol permalink
    24/11/2014 7:33 pm

I have always taught my kids to be grateful of what they have. It is important to be happy and realize we are blessed.

21. 4linkedlearning permalink
    24/11/2014 7:46 pm

I cannot tell you how much I needed to see this post today. Thanks

22. margarita permalink
    24/11/2014 7:47 pm

You have no idea how much I needed to see gist post. Thank you

23. franckxethee permalink
    24/11/2014 8:43 pm

I really like this series of post. It gives us better appreciation and motivation for the positive traits in life.

24. i626leo permalink
    24/11/2014 9:21 pm

Everyone should always be grateful. Appreciation will always a great attitude for a more happy life.

25. 24/11/2014 11:28 pm

Great post and pictures. I’m grateful for my family. Without them, I would be lost.

26. 25/11/2014 12:17 am

Reblogged this on frijasroxanne.

27. 25/11/2014 1:32 am

Gratitude is definitely an attitude. I think it is important to be grateful for things year-round, not just at Thanksgiving when we are reminded to be.

28. Fernando Ceballos Lachica permalink
    25/11/2014 2:33 am

Sometimes, I tried to be simple and contented with life, but I can’f control the urges to reach some dreams inside my heart. But my life now have peace and I carried it deep down my soul. Yes, gratitude is everything.

29. Fi Ní Neachtáin permalink
    25/11/2014 5:00 am

Gratitude and how to express it is such an important thing to learn in life. I learn to be gracious of everything and everyone I have in my life the older I get.

30. 25/11/2014 5:55 am

Gratefulness is something a lot of us have to work towards because we think we’re entitled.

31. 25/11/2014 6:33 am

Gratitude is attitude so great! I am planning on helping at a homeless shelter this year and I love helping Mathew 25 Ministries.Just like grumpiness spreads so does joy!

32. caidiva permalink
    25/11/2014 7:27 am

I love this! I have a one year planner which i use as a gratitude book. I list all my blessings for whole year!

33. 25/11/2014 7:42 am

I am very bless in my life and after being sick for a long time I am healthy and whole. We have had alot of changes in our lives with the birth of our grandchildren recently and we are very grateful that they are happy and well.

34. 25/11/2014 8:34 am

I am grateful. Always has been, always will be. 🙂

35. 25/11/2014 9:12 am

Gratitude is Attitude/. Gratitude is Action… Gratitude is to be thankful for whatever that comes your way. Thanks for this post. It came at the right time when I got to know that a friend has contracted a terminal disease and has not much time left…

36. Stephanie Lee permalink
    25/11/2014 9:53 am

It is really important to be always grateful.. I love your motivations monday posts! looking forward for more mondays with you 🙂

37. 25/11/2014 10:31 am

What a wonderful post! It is so important to remember to be greatful for everything we have in our lives! Thank you 🙂

38. Tiffany Washko permalink
    25/11/2014 11:59 am

Great quotes! Always need this reminder!

39. 25/11/2014 12:32 pm

The law of attraction! I love this! Your blog posts are always so uplifting and inspiring! Thank you and be blessed dear!

40. 25/11/2014 2:21 pm

this is really a nice post and every enlightening ❤

41. Carly Anderson (@lipglosscrayons) permalink
    25/11/2014 3:53 pm

This is such a great topic for this week. Your Motivation Mondays always help me out!

42. Lisa Bristol permalink
    25/11/2014 4:08 pm

I always take a few minutes a day to think about all my blessings. Gratitude is such an important thing to remember.

43. April @ Everyday Fitness and Nutrition permalink
    25/11/2014 5:13 pm

I agree….gratitude is an attitude. While I may not have everything I want, I have everything I need. And that’s a lot more than a lot of people have.

44. Loudthinkin permalink
    25/11/2014 5:19 pm

You can either view the cup as half full or half empty, it’s all in our attitude! I totally agree that gratitude should show in our actions 🙂

45. 25/11/2014 5:32 pm

love it. this is going to help be get back into blogging .. look out monday here i come 🙂

46. Louise permalink
    25/11/2014 5:41 pm

This is a great post especially now that Christmas is approaching. We should all be reminded how to be grateful for what we have and stop asking for more. Christmas season usually gives us the pleasure to shop all we want even if there’s not enough funds. If only we can all be grateful for the simple things we have, we will realize that we don’t really need to keep buying things.

I like the quote that says Gratitude is an attitude. I will keep that wisdom so I will always be grateful.

47. 25/11/2014 5:50 pm

awww…how inspiring! I’m grateful for the blessings and for the awesome people around me.

48. 25/11/2014 6:40 pm

I loved the beautiful poem in the beginning. It teaches us to be grateful for little thing we have and also that there are people who are worse off.

49. dawn permalink
    25/11/2014 6:59 pm

Wow! I love your post! Very nice!!!

Dawn

50. 25/11/2014 7:35 pm

I so love this post. Gratitude is so important to show others how much you appreciate them.

51. 25/11/2014 8:44 pm

Too many people do not show enough gratitude and that is just sad. I find kids today lack that and struggle to find a way to teach it to them..

52. 25/11/2014 9:47 pm

Gratitude is so important I have been working on teach this to my son.

53. 26/11/2014 7:35 am

An important reminder for me today. I am trying to stay gracious. ❤

54. Vanessa Ally permalink
    26/11/2014 8:43 am

I appreciate both what has been given to me and what has not. I believe that God knows what is best for me, so that I learn my lessons in life and become a better person. I am grateful for the hardship and the fortune, for the sorrow and the joy I have gone through.

55. 26/11/2014 2:02 pm

A lot of people forget about the small things that matter in life. I really enjoyed reading the ‘I am Thankful’ piece by Anon.

56. Rebecca Swenor permalink
    26/11/2014 2:42 pm

This is a great post indeed. I love the inspiration in your message. It is awesome to be grateful just to see a smile on someones face. Thanks for sharing.

57. 26/11/2014 3:28 pm

Thank you for posting this timely blog! I love the Oprah quote because its absolutely true you have to be grateful for what you have so you can have more! Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

58. 26/11/2014 6:23 pm

Love! Thank you for sharing these moments in gratitude!

59. alissamags permalink
    27/11/2014 3:06 am

There’s so much to be thankful for indeed! I am thankful for everything!

60. mydomesticdish permalink
    27/11/2014 9:15 pm

Holy crap. This hit me…really hard. This is an absolutely fantastic post and an incredible outlook.
    Thank you for this, so very much.

61. 27/11/2014 9:57 pm

It’s important to be thankful for the little things!

62. John Lopez permalink
    30/11/2014 1:29 am

Yes, I’m always thankful what I’ve all things I’m so blessed and I want it other people they have recived too their blessings.

63. LisaLadrido (@LisaLadrido) permalink
    07/08/2015 7:31 pm

I love your Motivation Mondays! I practice Gratitude every chance I can get. Especially if I start feeling down I focus on what I have been blessed with. It always helps!

1. Motivation Mondays: HEALTH | Mirth and Motivation
  2. Motivation Mondays: STRENGTH | Mirth and Motivation
  3. Motivation Mondays: PERFECTION | Mirth and Motivation
  4. Motivation Mondays: MISTAKES! | Mirth and Motivation
  5. Motivation Mondays: GROWTH | Mirth and Motivation
  6. Motivation Mondays: MINDFULNESS | Mirth and Motivation
  7. Motivation Mondays: APPRECIATION | Mirth and Motivation
  8. Motivation Mondays: HAPPINESS | Mirth and Motivation
  9. Motivation Mondays: What’s A Wellness, Fitness & Healthy LifeStyle? | Mirth and Motivation
  10. Motivation Mondays: Honoring SERVICE | Mirth and Motivation
  23. Motivation Mondays: PURPOSE | Mirth and Motivation
  24. Motivation Mondays: FAILURE | Mirth and Motivation
  25. Motivation Mondays: HOPE | Mirth and Motivation
  26. Motivation Mondays: Labor & Literacy | Mirth and Motivation
  27. Motivation Mondays: Positive Thinking | Mirth and Motivation
  28. Motivation Mondays: Partnerships For Peace | Mirth and Motivation
  29. Motivation Mondays: Good Neighbors & Goodwill #GoodNeighborDay | Mirth and Motivation
  30. Motivation Mondays: SMILE #mondaymotivation | Mirth and Motivation
  31. Motivation Mondays: Happy Thanksgiving #mondaymotivation | Mirth and Motivation
  32. Motivation Mondays: HOLIDAY SPIRIT #mondaymotivation | Mirth and Motivation
  33. Motivation Mondays: Stinking Thinking #mondaymotivation | Mirth and Motivation
  34. Motivation Mondays: International Women’s Day #IWD2016 | Mirth and Motivation
  35. Motivation Mondays: Expect The Unexpected | Mirth and Motivation
  36. Motivation Mondays: Expect The Unexpected | Mirth and Motivation
  37. Motivation Mondays: EARTH DAY | Mirth and Motivation
  38. Motivation Mondays: Serendipity | Mirth and Motivation
  39. Motivation Mondays: Matters Of The Heart | Mirth and Motivation
  40. Motivation Mondays: RELAXATION | Mirth and Motivation
  41. Motivation Mondays: PREPARED | Mirth and Motivation
  42. Motivation Mondays: AWE | Mirth and Motivation
  43. Motivation Mondays: Happy Valentine’s Day | Mirth and Motivation
  44. Motivation Mondays: Honoring Presidents’ Day | Mirth and Motivation
  45. Motivation Mondays: Reflections On Easter & Passover | Mirth and Motivation
  46. Motivation Mondays: Earth Day for Environmental & Climate Literacy | Mirth and Motivation
  47. Motivation Mondays: EXPECTATIONS | Mirth and Motivation