Motivation Mondays: SILENCE

05/01/2015

“I’ve begun to realize that you can listen to silence and learn from it. It has a quality and a dimension all its own.” Chaim Potok

Motivation Mondays: SILENCE -  Faras Saint Anne

Motivation Mondays: SILENCE – Faras Saint Anne

Learn to get in touch with the silence within yourself, and know that everything in life has purpose. There are no mistakes, no coincidences, all events are blessings given to us to learn from. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Since 2015 kicked in, we’ve all been bombarded with messages about plans, goals, resolutions, numerology and astrology tips on how to own this year. I’ve also heard endless suggestions, like everyone else, on how to be greater, better, smarter, richer, and more, more, more of everything this year. As the overwhelm slowly creeps into our space and finds a home in our psyche, I invite everyone to STOP! We need to form a TRUSE and give the pronouncements a break … for an extended moment of silence. I am not talking about a forced fake kind of silence… No. I’m referring to a mindful, intentional decision to make space for silent moments of renewal… We need time to soul-search and make decisions that are true to our nature. We’ve become so caught up in the noise, the hype, the crock story and empty promises that we don’t give ourselves room to just be present. True motivation and great inspiration emanate from a place deep within. That place is not touched by the noise, and we can only connect with that level of inspiration and creativity if we take time to step back and become an observer of our surroundings and the activity going on in it. There is great power in silence. Explore it.

“In human intercourse the tragedy begins, not when there is misunderstanding about words, but when silence is not understood.” Henry David Thoreau

Motivation Mondays: SILENCE - Big Four Glacier Ice Cave

Motivation Mondays: SILENCE – Big Four Glacier Ice Cave

Soon silence will have passed into legend. Man has turned his back on silence. Day after day he invents machines and devices that increase noise and distract humanity from the essence of life, contemplation, meditation. Jean Arp

Silence is not inaction. It gives us an opportunity to reflect and respond effectively. In our ever busy world of cellphones, social media, and endless chatter, it is critical for our creativity to find an oasis of calm for contemplation and the exploration of ideas. If we don’t allow ourselves space to just be contemplative and make decisions with clarity and consideration, we will just continue the madness of regurgitating the same old stories and ideas. We need room for silent reflection and space for innovation. If we don’t allow ourselves such places of quiet, we won’t allow our muse room to share something new with us. If we don’t give ourselves time to withdraw, regroup, and respond, we become like the monks in the story below… True silence opens doors. It takes some effort to step back but it can’t be forced. Let’s see it as a form of self-rejuvenation.
A Mirthful Inspirational Story: Sounds of Silence
Four monks decided to meditate silently without speaking for two weeks. By nightfall on the first day, the candle began to flicker and then went out. The first monk said, “Oh, no! The candle is out.” The second monk said, “Aren’t we not supposed to talk?” The third monk said, “Why must you two break the silence?” The fourth monk laughed and said, “Ha! I’m the only one who didn’t speak.”

What role does silence play in your life?

The details for Motivation Mondays are below. Join in! The themes for January are:
01/05 – Silence
01/12 – Perspective
01/19 – Communication
01/26 – Comfort
02/02 – Attitude

“Silence is the sleep that nourishes wisdom.” Francis Bacon

Motivation Mondays: SILENCE - Domica Cave in Slovakia

Motivation Mondays: SILENCE – Domica Cave in Slovakia

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers. Khalil Gibran

When I first started a career in sales, I had a great teacher who taught us that in every negotiation, he who speaks first loses the battle. How can we negotiate effectively if we show our trump card before we even hear what the other side has to contribute to the conversation? As bloggers, some of us read our stats and compare themselves endlessly to XYZ… They think if they copy XYZ, things might change. If they do what ABC does, life would be different. Perhaps. But have you considered your own gifts? What is YOUR ABC and XYZ? Explore your own strengths and gifts, and work on what gives you joy and passion. There is grace in following the road NOT taken…. We won’t be able to figure that out if we are constantly swayed by every story that crosses our part. Some of those stories might be great for us, but we need quiet contemplation, and a period of silence to determine the veracity of that option. Contemplate it!
An Inspirational Story: The Silent Monks
Three monks who had taken vows of silence were permitted an annual reprieve during which one monk was permitted to speak at the end of each year of silence. At the end of the first year, the first monk was allowed his opportunity to speak, whereupon he said: The soup is too hot. Another year elapsed. Then it was the next monk’s turn. The monks turned their attention to him, whereupon he said: The soup is too cold. Another year elapsed. It was the third monk’s turn. The assembled monks turned to him, whereupon he said: The soup is neither too cold nor too hot. However, it is too salty.
By the fourth year, the Abbess had posted a notice that it would be she who would speak at the end of that year. The assembled monks were particularly alert to hear the esteemed Abbess give her speech. One could hear the sound of a butterfly’s wings in the silence which enveloped the hall. Whereupon the Abbess said: There will be no more of this quibbling about the soup. Thus have I heard.

“He who does not know how to be silent will not know how to speak.” Ausonius

Motivation Mondays: SILENCE - Oasis in Libya

Motivation Mondays: SILENCE – Oasis in Libya

We need to find our Creator, and that cannot be found in noise and restlessness. Our (Creator) is the friend of silence. See how nature – trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence… We need silence to be able to touch souls. Mother Teresa

The story above, teaches us a great lesson about silence and how it can make us truly reflective or simply obsessive about minutiae. What is the story trying to convey about our minds and what we focus on? How can we make time for reflection that aides our growth instead of forced silence that adds to our pain…. Do you know the difference?

For More: Women’s Lives & Issues

Positive Motivation Tip: Silence is not a form of inaction. It gives us an opportunity to reflect and respond effectively.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Motivation Mondays is open to anyone who wishes to share a motivational quote, photo, personal challenge or a post that encourages others to start the week on an upbeat note.

Basic Instructions: Each week, I will have a motivation word to help us create a response. (See listed words for end of November and all of December below)
Email address: You may email or share your post as a comment and I will add it to the round-up of related posts. email it to: contact(@)mirthandmotivation(.)com
Category tag: – Share your post using Motivation Mondays
Twitter hashtag: – Use this on Twitter #MotvnM
Dedicated Page: There is a dedicated page for Motivation Mondays. It has the same instructions and will include other helpful tools and a link to the round-up
Facebook Page: MotivationOnMondays Join our page and add your post and/or any motivational piece you think will be helpful to others.
Facebook Community: We have a Facebook community forum to compliment the page. It serves as another way to share uplifting posts and thoughts. Please join in and add your voice.

Badge: – I created a fun badge using PicMonkey’s free photo editing tools. You can create your own, use WordPress’ integrated tool on your blog or you are welcome to use mine. (see dedicated page)
Tag: – Motivation Mondays
Hashtag: – #MotvnM

Related Posts

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos: Faras Saint AnneOasis, Domica Cave,  Big Four Glacier Cave, via Wikipedia

1. wrightbrittany permalink
    05/01/2015 1:27 pm

Silence is absolutely necessary sometimes and honesty, a saving grace. I can’t promise I’ll participate in Motivation Mondays but I think what you’re doing is great

2. 05/01/2015 1:28 pm

Fabulous post!

3. 05/01/2015 2:18 pm

I do need more silence in my life. It seems that I always have something going on and I really don’t make time to sit and just…think and contemplate the way my life is going.

4. Danica Reed permalink
    05/01/2015 2:51 pm

You wouldn’t believe it but I do go to my sanctuary everyday and spent some minutes there trying to think. It helps you know.

5. 05/01/2015 3:29 pm

What an inspirational post to start the year off with! I love that you gave every Monday a different purpose!

6. Masshole Mommy permalink
    05/01/2015 3:34 pm

Silence is what I experienced today as my kids went back to school after vacation. It was nice.

7. HANA permalink
    05/01/2015 3:35 pm

I agree with your points 100%. People must learn the value of silence and the skill of taking comfort in it.

8. 3sonshavei permalink
    05/01/2015 3:37 pm

I am a quiet person personally. This was great insight. Thanks for sharing

9. 05/01/2015 3:51 pm

Lovely Eliz! I always find my silence in yoga.

10. 05/01/2015 4:03 pm

“Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.” – Abraham Lincoln

11. 05/01/2015 4:05 pm

Beautifully said…or not said aha! A wonderfully inspiring post! Thanks for sharing 🙂

12. 05/01/2015 4:06 pm

When you are in silence you thinking of something or someone either problem, issue or happiness. Maybe I should concentrate to know the true power of silence.

13. 05/01/2015 4:22 pm

Silence is something I need to practice. One of my favorite scriptures is “be still, and know that I am God”. We need to just take the time to be still, listen and watch.

14. 05/01/2015 4:33 pm

So very true. I find silence to be very healing and relaxing. I don’t get much of it but what I do I cherish and look forward to!

15. 05/01/2015 4:35 pm

Happy New Year, Elizabeth! I absolutely love Mother Theresa quote and the others too that you put up here. Being silence in one’s mind really does takes practice and that is why I am so grateful for my meditation. I’m still a new beginner at it but it taught me to stay still, to focus on my breathing. Wishing you a blissful 2015 🙂

16. Pam Wattenbarger permalink
    05/01/2015 4:37 pm

Silence can be great for self-reflection. It’s rare to find someone you can just sit in silence with, also. I love the story about the monks. It really made me think.

17. Liz Mays permalink
    05/01/2015 5:05 pm

Being able to stop and reflect before acting and speaking helps stop hasty and sloppy decision-making. This is an awesome theme to keep in mind.

18. 05/01/2015 5:14 pm

So beautifully written – with the addition of the quotes and photos – We were just talking about this with a fellow renting our Mountain Cottage – he lives in the city and is just amazed at the quiet and that there are no street lamps – it is dark and quite under the pines at 6000 ft altitude – thank you for your post

19. 05/01/2015 5:15 pm

What a great way to see silence. I do like it quiet most of the time.. helps me think about what i really need to get done.

20. Jennifer Truong permalink
    05/01/2015 5:30 pm

I love this! Such an encouraging and strong post! Also, hope you had a Happy New Year as well! 🙂

21. Fernando Lachica permalink
    05/01/2015 5:30 pm

Sometimes I wonder what I meant when silence engulfed me in any situations wherein I have to exert effort to make things right. But I always rely with silence whenever, whatever and wherever worst comes to worst.

22. 05/01/2015 6:23 pm

I love the topics you have chosen for the January line up. And yeah , it’s best to begin with silence which gives us an oppurtunity to listen to our inner self and spend time in introspection 🙂

23. Robi Marapao permalink
    05/01/2015 6:45 pm

This is an interesting post! I usually get stuck to this kind of niche. What struck me most is the story about the monks as I’ve always wanted to experience to live in a temple and embrace their culture and listen to silence with its deep meaning in life. Good read here!

24. Amanda Stano permalink
    05/01/2015 6:53 pm

Silence surely is golden – I love some silence. Like right now when everyone is asleep…

25. upliftingfam permalink
    05/01/2015 7:11 pm

I think that it is important for you to take a few minutes each day and reflect on your day. Don’t just focus on the negative but counterbalance it with positive things too. Thank you for sharing.

26. 05/01/2015 7:19 pm

Your first photo alone says it all/ The others are simply breathtaking.

27. 05/01/2015 10:26 pm

A very inspiring story!

28. 06/01/2015 12:46 am

The story about the monks and the soup was too funny- you’d think there would be something more important to say! When I need a break from things I tend to go for a nice, quiet walk alone with my thoughts.

29. franck permalink
    06/01/2015 1:44 am

Silent is really gold as it gives us perspective. I agree that a good salesman listens first to the customer before he goes for his pitch as getting to know what the customer desire can really help you understand the approach that would be effective to them.

30. Debbie Denny permalink
    06/01/2015 4:22 am

Good to just listen to the world. Great post.

31. 06/01/2015 4:41 am

Thank you for the inspirational post! Happy New Year!

32. rsrote permalink
    06/01/2015 4:59 am

“Silence is the sleep that nourishes wisdom.” Francis Bacon LOVE THIS! Great post!

33. Terri's Little Haven (@terrishutterbug) permalink
    06/01/2015 5:40 am

Thank you so much for sharing. Silence is golden, lol. Sometimes it’s great to just be still and be silent. I look forward to reading more of your Motivation Mondays posts.

34. jehaine permalink
    06/01/2015 6:29 am

I agree about silence becoming less and less something that people experience daily. I personally like to go chill quietly without distraction for at least a few minutes each day. It keeps you sane.

06/01/2015 7:11 am

As a person, I so value silence very much. I enjoy times when it is quiet. I feel calm, relaxed, unpressured, contemplative, blessed.

36. 06/01/2015 8:43 am

Happy New Year Elizabeth. Indeed silence is golden! 🙂

37. jamiemolnar permalink
    06/01/2015 8:47 am

I completely agree with this – I talk a lot about silence, gratitude, and mindfulness in my work as well.

38. yumeating permalink
    06/01/2015 9:30 am

It does not matter what your belief system is, having moments of silence is necessary for a much healthier lifestyle. Finding your center can help prevent so many diseases and combat stress.

39. 06/01/2015 10:11 am

That’s a pretty amazing picture in the Slovakian cave. And I agree, silence can teach you a lot if you listen to it properly.

40. 06/01/2015 11:28 am

I loved the story about the monks! And you’re so right about comparing your blogging stats to others, it gets you nowhere.

41. Parent Xpress permalink
    06/01/2015 1:18 pm

I love silence and I’m practicing this every day for an hour. Just so, I can be aware of how I’m feeling for the day. Thanks for sharing a word about Silence.

42. 06/01/2015 1:55 pm

Sometimes i like to sit somewhere quiet and just relax, silence definitely brings a feeling of peace and tranquility.

43. Rebecca Swenor permalink
    06/01/2015 1:58 pm

This is a great post indeed as well as a great reminder. We all need to have them moments of silence to reflect. Quite inspiring indeed. Thanks for sharing.

44. Selbe permalink
    06/01/2015 3:47 pm

I love the idea of this! So great!

45. katrinagehman permalink
    06/01/2015 5:43 pm

Silence is great sometimes! great photo for it!

46. 06/01/2015 8:17 pm

Sometimes, human should have at least a second of silence within ourselves. To keep us peace and calm.

47. Lisa Rios permalink
    06/01/2015 8:36 pm

I really love this post.I agree with you and it is a hard lesson to learn, but worth it in the end! sometimes we really do need that silence! Thanks for sharing. My belated new year wishes to you.

48. Bradley Finnearty permalink
    06/01/2015 9:25 pm

There is a lot of motivation that can be found in introspective silence. Thanks for reminding me of this.

49. Aisha Kristine Chong permalink
    06/01/2015 9:45 pm

Silence is silence but it is something powerful – that is what I believe.. it makes you reflect on this and sometimes.. there are things when silence becomes a powerful tool as well.

50. 06/01/2015 11:00 pm

A moment of silence is important to go greater length. Sit back and think back on our life!

51. 06/01/2015 11:00 pm

You’re right! Shh.. Keep quiet as silence is the best!

52. 07/01/2015 12:25 am

Very interesting challenge. I think it will keep me inspired throughout the challenge. Goodluck and hope many will join.

53. roxyrobert27 permalink
    07/01/2015 12:57 am

Hope to win!

54. 07/01/2015 4:42 am

That is a beautiful quote, I love to listen to silence and contemplate my goals.

55. ebodker permalink
    07/01/2015 5:58 am

I’m not sure how long I can go without talking haha. I’m sure my husband would laugh at me if I even tried haha

56. 07/01/2015 6:20 am

love the quote from Khalil Gibran! it actually took me a 2nd read to understand why we’re ungrateful to those teachers. makes a lot of sense indeed!

57. 07/01/2015 6:37 am

Happy New Year to you. I hope you have a lovely 2015

58. 07/01/2015 8:10 am

silence gives me a moment of peace to reflect back and think

59. thedomesticbuzz permalink
    07/01/2015 8:13 am

I agree that there is great power in silence. I treasure the few moments of silence I manage to get every day!

60. 07/01/2015 9:00 am

I love that quote! I’ve never thought of that before, but silence can, indeed, teach us. All we have to do is listen to it.

61. 07/01/2015 9:17 am

Silence gives me a moment of inner peace and also time for me to reflect what had happened the past. Like wise there is a saying Silence is Golden. Thanks for the motivation and i wish you have a blessed 2015, Happy New Year.

62. 07/01/2015 10:24 pm

slow down and just have quality for yourself once in a while, out from the party and social media makes our lives more fruitful and happier

63. 07/01/2015 10:27 pm

For me, silence is power, like what you said here about sales, where the one who speaks first loses. i use silence to think, contemplate, reflect, and it always works to my advantage in many ways.

64. 08/01/2015 7:06 am

Absolutely loved this article! There is too much noise and information in this world that we forget about ourselves. We are waiting for the others to tell us what to do but we should listen to ourselves !!! I will try something different this evening! I will go out for a walk without my phone to think 🙂

65. Jo Tuason permalink
    09/01/2015 6:01 pm

Moments of silence clears our mind and makes us more focus to achieve our task at hand.

66. 12/01/2015 12:52 am

Food for thought – always inspirational and thought provoking posts – thanks for hosting and sharing too.

67. 12/01/2015 7:33 am

great stoy

68. Lisa Coomer Queen permalink
    13/01/2015 9:59 am

Yes, sometimes silence is golden. We could all gain some insight if we listened more.

1. 20 Practical Tips for Living a Life of Purpose | Self help article - Victoria M. Parham - Career & Life Strategist - Podcast Personality - Inspirational Guru - Army Veteran - Military Spouse (ret.) - I help people identify their ideal career and life&
  2. Motivation Mondays: Happy Valentine’s Day | Mirth and Motivation
  3. Motivation Mondays: Honoring Presidents’ Day | Mirth and Motivation
  4. Motivation Mondays: Reflections On Easter & Passover | Mirth and Motivation
  5. Motivation Mondays: Earth Day for Environmental & Climate Literacy | Mirth and Motivation
  6. Motivation Mondays: BREATHE | Mirth and Motivation