Motivation Mondays: The BUSY BUSY TRAP

08/12/2014

“It is not enough to be busy. So are the ants. The question is: What are we busy about?” Henry David Thoreau

Motivation Mondays: The BUSY BUSY TRAP- Why are some of us busier than the busy bee?

Motivation Mondays: The BUSY BUSY TRAP – Why are some of us busier than the busy bee?

Motivation Mondays: The BUSY BUSY TRAP - Why are some of us busy, busier, busiest ?

Motivation Mondays: The BUSY BUSY TRAP – Why are some of us busy, busier, busiest ?

“Technology can be our best friend, and technology can also be the biggest party pooper of our lives. It interrupts our own story, interrupts our ability to have a thought or a daydream, to imagine something wonderful, because we’re too busy bridging the walk from the cafeteria back to the office on the cell phone.” Steven Spielberg

Why are we so BUSY? What are we running away from? What are we trying to achieve or escape? Success is great but excess is … ? Not so long along, on my way into NYC, a car sped by, made a sharp turn and almost hit a concrete barrier. The driver sped away in a hurry to meet, I presume, his maker. 10-15 minutes later, there he was, pulled over to the side of the road with those familiar neon sign flashing lights behind him. Yep, he got pulled over by a cop and whatever/wherever he thought he had to be/do … had to WAIT. We are constantly rushing to do, be, have, that sometimes, with nary a thought about our well-being or the well-being of those we love, we just crash and burn out.

What’s the RUSH? What does success truly mean to us? It’s important to be motivated about things that matter to us, but we need to prioritize our time. We also need to make time for self-nourishment and rejuvenation. Stephen Spielberg said it so beautifully above; we are so plugged in to our gadgets and our online social media activity (I’m guilty too) that we miss the creativity and joy that comes from seeing nature, taking a walk on the beach, and enjoying the simple yet life affirming good around us. Stop for a moment. Stand up. Take a deep breath. Release the tension and the adrenaline… Look around you and fix your gaze on something you haven’t paid attention to in a while. A busy, busy, rushed life is not a truly productive life. There must be focus, purpose, and time for self and others. Some of us work our friends and family right out of our lives. Stop and take stock. As Socrates aptly said, “Beware the barrenness of a busy life.”

“Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.” John Lennon

Motivation Mondays: The BUSY BUSY TRAP - Why are some of us busier than the busy ants?

Motivation Mondays: The BUSY BUSY TRAP – Why are some of us busier than the busy ants?

Motivation Mondays: The BUSY BUSY TRAP -  Read this Top 10 regrets list from  addicted2success.com

Motivation Mondays: The BUSY BUSY TRAP – Read this Top 10 Regrets list from addicted2success.com

Being busy does not always mean real work. The object of all work is production or accomplishment and to either of these ends there must be forethought, system, planning, intelligence, and honest purpose, as well as perspiration. Seeming to do is not doing. Thomas A. Edison

What’s OUR rush? Ants are known to be very productive insects. They work all day long carrying building, ferreting and doing whatever it takes to keep their Queen happy. They have a focus for their work and many die doing it. Admirable yes, but we are not ants. As Thoreau asked in the first quote, what are we busy about? I know many of us have families to feed, mortgages/rent to pay, bills shouting our names and what not, but what about our well-being. Even as bloggers, we find ourselves reading posts that advice to do more, more, more… Join this, join that. Monetize, proselytize, improvise, incentivize, economize….. Ad nauseam. Where do we draw the line in the sand and say enough? – “ENOUGH! I will focus on a few things at a time and when I’ve mastered them, I might add a few more.” Unless you work with a virtual assistant, have a team or secretary at hand or family members eager to learn and help you, you must be protective of your time and be vigilant about what you choose to do and how you choose to spend your time.

What does SUCCESS mean to you? Sure, we all want to be successful and enjoy the accolades that come with public recognition, but at what price? If you read my Unforgettable post, it should give you pause and make you think about all those you know who are “Gone, but not forgotten.” How do you want to be remembered? Which of the 10 Regrets in the infographic above will be added to your memorial? What are we perspiring over and is it worth it? Last week, I missed the Monday rush of blogging activity because I was helping my daughter put 4 huge binders of her Senior Project in Asian Studies together. She’d spent a year working on a Japanese to English translation and her completed work was 1,200 printed pages long. I was a bit frustrated that I was missing out on Monday and a tad concerned that I might not post my Acceptance blog post. But part way through it, I made a mental shift… Seriously, as a parent/daughter/sister/friend, what would you rather do? Read the infographic again if you are not sure. Motivation is not just about us and our goals, it’s also about supporting others to achieve their goals.

The details for Motivation Mondays are below. Join in! The themes for December are:
12/01 – Acceptance
12/08 – Busyness
12/15 – Compassion
12/22 – Joy
12/29 – Regret

“No matter how busy you are, you must take time to make the other person feel important.” Mary Kay Ash

Motivation Mondays: The BUSY BUSY TRAP - Why are some of us busier on the rat race?

Motivation Mondays: The BUSY BUSY TRAP – Why are some of us busier on the rat race?

“When you begin to worry, go find something to do. Get busy being a blessing to someone; do something fruitful. Talking about your problem or sitting alone, thinking about it, does no good; it serves only to make you miserable. Above all else, remember that worrying is totally useless. Worrying will not solve your problem.” Joyce Meyer

What do YOU know for sure? All my life, one thing that has stayed true in my heart is that when we help others achieve their goals, we are ultimately helping ourselves feel fulfilled. What joy exists in selfishness and self-aggrandizement? If everything we do is driven purely by our ego, we will always live in fear of loss. Some of the nicest people I’ve met are very successful people. They treat others with respect and encourage people to go out and succeed. They are wearing their success well. Then there are others who wear their success like armor, ready to do battle with anyone who comes near. To them, everyone is suspect or a foe, no one is a friend. What a life.

Where are going WE with all the BUSYNESS? If we all spent time mapping out our successes and our challenges with a strategy to take some time out to rejuvenate and be attentive to others, we would be less stressed. Another thing I’ve come to learn is that we can’t take it with us. Take time to enjoy your successes. Take time to heal from your failures. Take time to be with yourself. Take time to be with your friends and family. Take time to listen, breathe, smile, rest, love, live, and do nothing. Stop the busyness, your life wants YOU back.

Motivation Mondays is open to anyone who wishes to share a motivational quote, photo, personal challenge or a post that encourages others to start the week on an upbeat note.

Basic Instructions: Each week, I will have a motivation word to help us create a response. (See listed words for end of November and all of December below)
Email address: You may email or share your post as a comment and I will add it to the round-up of related posts. email it to: contact(@)mirthandmotivation(.)com
Category tag: – Share your post using Motivation Mondays
Twitter hashtag: – Use this on Twitter #MotvnM
Dedicated Page: There is a dedicated page for Motivation Mondays. It has the same instructions and will include other helpful tools and a link to the round-up
Facebook Page: MotivationOnMondays Join our page and add your post and/or any motivational piece you think will be helpful to others.
Facebook Community: We have a Facebook community forum to compliment the page. It serves as another way to share uplifting posts and thoughts. Please join in and add your voice.

Badge: – I created a fun badge using PicMonkey’s free photo editing tools. You can create your own, use WordPress’ integrated tool on your blog or you are welcome to use mine. (see dedicated page)
Tag: – Motivation Mondays
Hashtag: – #MotvnM

Positive Motivation Tip:  Acceptance begins with us; our perceptions of ourselves and the things that stand in our way of joy. Then it shifts to our perceptions of others and the prejudices we uses as excuses for our intolerance. Embrace and love yourself so you can learn to embrace others.

Related Posts

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos:

1. 08/12/2014 9:57 am

This is one of my recent realizations as well.. I’ve always been so busy with blogging and schoolwork that sometimes, I neglect my loved ones and also my rest time. Life can flash past us if we don’t realize it. Indeed when we slow down, we can live life more vivaciously. Love your motivation monday posts, they have such an awesome feel good factor haha! 🙂

• 08/12/2014 10:06 am

Thank you Amie! I’m glad you enjoy them… They’ve been helpful to me too.

• citycalm permalink
      08/12/2014 1:14 pm

This was also a recent realisation for me.. I’ve always had so many projects on the go. Bits here and there and everywhere and never a moment to just experience life! It was only when I took a step back that I realised it’s not just what you’re doing but why… intention is everything. And I try to ask myself why as much as possible now 🙂

2. 08/12/2014 11:23 am

Such an inspiring post.. There are many points in this post that I found myself. I am an 90s kid so I still remember the times without social media and the way we communicated with each other and lived our life. Its not so long time ago but the way we live today and nowadays kids have changed totally. I do believe that technology was supposed to save our time but did the opposite.. I find myself wasting my time at the social media and I could do so many things instead. Another point that I really liked is about being successful. I do believe that being successful for the recognition of the others is such a waste of time..

3. 08/12/2014 12:04 pm

It’s a good reminder, Elizabeth 🙂 And I’m glad you took that time with your daughter. We only have one life 🙂

4. 08/12/2014 12:30 pm

Very timely right now as busyness takes over our lives!

5. 08/12/2014 12:45 pm

A good friend often tells me I don’t need to be so busy. And she’s right. Busyness is about all sorts of things, some good, some bad. But for many it is about survival – keeping a job in this crazy, competitive world, for example.

6. 08/12/2014 2:18 pm

This is wonderful. I’ve been so busy lately its been a juggle but it’s good to stop and realize!

7. lee rosales permalink
    08/12/2014 2:28 pm

Being busy at work, achieving our goals. Busy making money in our business is totally normal. However, being ‘too busy’ is not a good thing. time management is a must and we have to ‘make’ time to slow down. unwind with our family and friends is very important.

8. ilovepaars permalink
    08/12/2014 2:32 pm

being busy achieving our goals, at work or even making money from our business is totaly normal however, being ‘too busy’ is not a good thing. we tend to forget how to relax and slow down. unwind with our family and friends . as they say ‘yolo’.

9. ShabbyChicBoho permalink
    08/12/2014 3:12 pm

I really need to slow down. I’m rushing my life away. Thanks for the reminder that there are more important things.

10. Kathy permalink
    08/12/2014 3:29 pm

Yep, I do have some of those regrets already. Being a blogger I’m always busy! Every day goes by so fast and I’d love to be able to spend more time with my loved ones. My girls are growing up so fast too.

11. 08/12/2014 3:30 pm

This is so true. I try to live each day so I won’t have regrets and one of those is saying yes to my kids more and just having fun with them.

12. prettyopinionated permalink
    08/12/2014 3:34 pm

I am always in a rush, always busy. It’s bad. It gives me major anxiety attacks (doesn’t help that I have anxiety disorder!). I’m trying to chill out, but it’s really hard when there are so many demands placed on my time. Thanks for the motivation!

13. Angelo permalink
    08/12/2014 3:45 pm

People are definitely busy nowadays but I think we need to balance things and never disregard or ignore the people around us specially our loved ones. Thanks for this! Now I feel good!

14. Jess S. permalink
    08/12/2014 4:16 pm

I totally agree with Amie! Sometimes we just need to slow down and take a look around us. Great post!

15. Masshole Mommy permalink
    08/12/2014 4:17 pm

Here in Boston we live our life in a rush. It’s just the way we are wired.

16. kourtnee permalink
    08/12/2014 4:27 pm

After my daughter was born I took a step.back and figured out what was important and what wasn’t!! Happiness really is a choice! You just have to figure out what your happiness is 🙂

08/12/2014 5:33 pm

I read that poster about the biggest regrets of older people and I will be reflecting on them more. This is the time to prevent those things to be my own regrets when my own time comes. + Fred

18. 08/12/2014 5:47 pm

You make some great points here. Good to hear that you were able to make the mental shift. My biggest regrets are those the times when I did not do so. Nowadays I try to STOP what I am doing and listen to the loved one who stands before me.
    I was just talking with a co-worker who told me about an article she had just read in which the writer suggested that we are not really all that busy. Since I didn’t read the article myself I do not know what the suggested time suckers were/are but I suspect it is as you point out, technology. We are too plugged in. Thanks for sharing, the post is informative and well written.

19. 08/12/2014 6:15 pm

Some amazing points you make in this blog and the infograph is great.. I always see people speeding an rushing around ( and it is so dangerious ). I really like the Socrates quote, its very true.

20. 08/12/2014 6:41 pm

I love this post. I usually find myself feeling like a busy bee yet never accomplishing enough.

21. 08/12/2014 6:54 pm

I am so guilty of this. Here I am at 7PM…still working.

22. 08/12/2014 6:56 pm

During this season i feel like i am so busy i cannot even get over it.. Once the season is over i seem to have things a little better organized and posed for success!

23. Stephanie Keeping permalink
    08/12/2014 7:39 pm

I have been doing the same. A lot of work and little play.

24. 08/12/2014 7:59 pm

Great points to think about. It’s been my goal this year to live more intentionally and it has made me slow down and really think about my actions. It’s important to make sure you’re busy with the right things.

25. 08/12/2014 8:22 pm

Looking forward to next weeks compassion post.

26. klcmaher permalink
    08/12/2014 9:01 pm

I love that quote by Mary Kay. In our Women’s Sunday morning class we are reading & studying a book called “Climbing Happiness Hill”. I’ve learned so much all ready.

27. 08/12/2014 11:03 pm

I totally agree…happiness is a choice! Sometimes we just need to slow down and enjoy life!

28. Walking K permalink
    08/12/2014 11:07 pm

Great post! We truly are always in some kind of a rat race. So busy, we don’t even know why

29. Fi Ní Neachtáin permalink
    09/12/2014 12:21 am

Unfortunately it seems as though everyone is busy these days. I’ve lost some friends this year due to their busyness 😦

30. Tiffany Washko permalink
    09/12/2014 1:24 am

Great quote and infographic!

31. 09/12/2014 2:23 am

I love your motivation mondays tag! And I should learn from you also sometimes we need to slow down 🙂

32. 09/12/2014 2:55 am

Lovely post. I hope I remember Motivation Monday. I will try to share something if I can finish a piece. I have learned to find joy in the success of others. As much as I can, I make time for people when they need my help. – katrina centeno

33. Fernando Ceballos Lachica permalink
    09/12/2014 3:39 am

When we are young, everything seems so fast reaching our goals in life. But, we forgot to make amends with our feelings. It’s true that maturity kept us from being alone.

34. 09/12/2014 3:42 am

what are we busy about? Very important question in my opinion. Are we following our heart and dreams? Or trying to achieve this and a way to do this. Good to question and discuss this point so we can move forward and motivate ourselves. Always interesting questions raised in your motivation monday posts.

35. 09/12/2014 5:12 am

I agree that helping others meet their goals is self-fulfilling. And you taught me a new word today… I had to go look it up (self-aggrandizement). 🙂

36. 09/12/2014 5:17 am

I am glad someone shared something like this to me at an early age. With the busy-ness I am in, I do find time to be with my family, my friends, and even be with my self. There are times that my job interrupts my social life, but most of the time, I am able to manage (thank God) to handle my work and life with balance. 😀 Work-life-balance. 🙂

37. 09/12/2014 5:33 am

We see those rats all over the place.. its all about the union workers, not sure if that is like that all over the place.

38. 09/12/2014 6:13 am

This is a great reminder. I’m in a season right now where I need to actively choose my own family, my own husband and children, in spite of the fact that others are asking me to give more and more to them and their families. It’s so hard to say no to them, but knowing that I’m really saying yes to the people that matter most helps.

39. msposh2013 permalink
    09/12/2014 6:16 am

I really liked that infographic. It really said a lot.

40. 09/12/2014 6:24 am

hmmm so many interesting questions were raised here… I would take slow and happy over busy, busy and successful.. we are ready for a change and want to implement it in 2015 – low impact life in connection with a nature… this is our goal

41. Carly Anderson (@lipglosscrayons) permalink
    09/12/2014 7:07 am

Being “busy” is definitely something I am guilty of. It is one of my goals in 2015 to not be so “busy.” There are so many more important things I could be doing at times.

42. 09/12/2014 7:11 am

Great post. While we are still young we should learn to appreciate to great things in life and the people around instead of wait for the day when you can no longer get it back. 🙂

43. 09/12/2014 7:20 am

This is very interesting to think about. My family comes first. They all know that. If I died right now I am not sure what my regrets would be but I’m glad to know that my family would know just how much they mean to me

44. Melissa Smith permalink
    09/12/2014 7:22 am

Thanks for the huge eye opener. I always seem to be so busy doing something, when really I’d just like to hang out with my friends & family.

45. 09/12/2014 7:35 am

Great Post! We should always keep in mind that life is too short. We should strive hard for success but at the same time learn to enjoy life 🙂

46. franckxethee permalink
    09/12/2014 7:38 am

I guess it’s not enough to be just busy. We should have a goal and focus our efforts towards achieving it. We should appreciate and enjoy the process too.

47. 09/12/2014 8:02 am

I was glad that chap got stopped by the police – sort of makes up for all the time someone madly speeds by me and I think – if there was any justice he would get caught! My life has slowed so much I need to find a way to make it busier.

48. 09/12/2014 8:03 am

Loved the info graphic. It is so meaningful. I am going to try and take my Mondays easy from now on and not let myself get stressed out 🙂

49. Lisa Bristol permalink
    09/12/2014 9:39 am

I always try to enjoy the little moments of the day. It is so important to stop and smell the roses.

50. 09/12/2014 9:43 am

I love how you said “We are not ants.” because it is true but from above, it looks like we are. We’re too busy making a living that we forget to make a life. I guess, one of the reason why we stress ourselves with everything we do is because we want to achieve so many things all at once.

51. Ann Bacciaglia permalink
    09/12/2014 11:04 am

The holidays are always such a busy time. It is important to take time out for yourself in these busy times.

52. 09/12/2014 3:40 pm

What a great quoestion! What is all the rush about really? I admit there are moments when we are busy and we need to rush but it’s not a sane way of life in the long run.

53. maggiesblog2 permalink
    09/12/2014 6:54 pm

I have come to realize this in the past year. We all need to slow down and just enjoy being. Life is too short to be so busy.

54. Amanda Love permalink
    09/12/2014 7:11 pm

I do need to slow down. It seems like I’m always rushing and sometimes getting nowhere.

55. 09/12/2014 7:43 pm

The older I get, the more I realize what is really important in life. I really try to enjoy my life now.

56. ebodker permalink
    09/12/2014 7:56 pm

Being a mama three and a newborn I feel like I’m always busy. I don’t know how to slow down or if I cancel because if I do I’ll get things done.

57. 09/12/2014 9:09 pm

Yes, you are correct. I am beyond busy, especially being a single mother and working a lot. I forget to smell the roses and just giving myself a break. As always. Thanks for the reminder. =)

58. 09/12/2014 9:51 pm

I find that this time of year is always crazy busy, but this year is far worse for me. I have added a lot to my plate with my blog and I really need to prioritize. Yes, I want to be successful in my blogging, but at what price?

59. 09/12/2014 10:49 pm

I have to work on spending more time with my family. Blogging has really taken me away from my family.

60. 10/12/2014 2:04 am

I am definitely always busy and have to often stop myself and just breathe and enjoy the moment.

61. Crystal K permalink
    10/12/2014 3:49 am

I’ve too realized I need to slow down.As a mom to a 3 yr old,it is difficult.Im certainly going to try.Thanks for this amazing article.

62. nikki robak permalink
    10/12/2014 4:57 am

I am handicapped and so cannot work and so don’t live with a lot of these problems. I spend all the time I can with family and friends, the only thing holding me back is my disability which stops me from living life fully. This has really made me re-think this issue

63. 10/12/2014 6:12 am

Just like the famous cliche says, “stop and smell the roses.” I do believe in that. That is a great infographic by the way.

64. Deborah Dorris permalink
    10/12/2014 8:04 am

I realized in the past couple years that I was too busy with helping others, my friends, that I neglected my parents, daughter, and myself. I was constantly trying to help others in their daily needing of doing things that I didn’t notice how my parents’ health was getting worse, that my daughter was not seeing much of me, and that even I was not taking time to get to a doctor about health problems with myself that were getting worse. It was when I got severely sick that I was looking at what was going on in my life and my dear family. I am now doing a lot of time with my family, and also doing what I need to trying to get my health better. I still help friends but I keep it only a few hours or one day a week, and make sure my family and myself are listened to first. Helping others is a good thing but when your helping is DOING for them what they can do themselves is just taking from you and it doesn’t help your friends to learn and do for themselves what they can do.

65. Jane Wohlers permalink
    10/12/2014 9:01 am

Being diagnosed with a serious illness, I can attest to these
    . Also, I’ve realized I don’t need a bucket list. My children are mine. I don’t want to get to the pearly gates and rattle off seeing the 7 wonders of the world. They are my wonders…😇

66. 10/12/2014 9:16 am

These are good things to think about. I try to always so I love you to someone when I am about to get off the phone with them. You just never know.

67. Loudthinkin permalink
    10/12/2014 9:33 am

This is my favourite post till date out of the motivational Monday series! We are all so busy..In fact our whole life has been planned out as per social presets in such a way so as to keep us busy at all stages of life. But do they give us a sense of fulfillment in the end is a question mark.

68. Mary permalink
    10/12/2014 9:50 am

When I find myself getting to rushed and stressed, I remind myself I’ve only got one life to live on this earth. And the quality of my life is what is important to me. I adjust my thinking to that and slow down and enjoy my life.

69. IreneN permalink
    10/12/2014 10:38 am

Unfortunately, I was one of those people who held down 2 jobs. However, I still made time for my friends and family. It’s amazing how much you can do if you sacrifice your sleep time.

70. JeniG of Kalikotpepot permalink
    10/12/2014 10:44 am

So true. I love this post Ms. Eliz,really. Some days I don’t accept writing posts just to have time with myself, my sis and my mom. And every now and then I do gardening to relax me:) Do things that matter:) #kalikotpepot

71. 10/12/2014 11:16 am

I love the infographic that you shared! Haha, I’m so glad I’m pursuing my dream now! But I can’t say about other points! It’s actually almost impossible have no regrets for any of the ones below!

72. April G permalink
    10/12/2014 11:52 am

I became a SAHM just to get out of the busyness of things. I definitely try to slow down when I end up doing a lot of things like volunteering. I Have stopped keeping my mouth shut to grin and bear it and amazingly, I have very few conflicts in my life. My relationships are stronger and more real. Great way to reflect!

73. Vanessa Ally permalink
    10/12/2014 12:40 pm

People nowadays are always in a hurry but in all that rush they forget to enjoy the little things that bring us joy. Sometimes on my way to work I just pause for a moment to enjoy the sunrise. So I think we should all appreciate such blissful moments and take time to enjoy them.

74. Amanda Gray Woodward permalink
    10/12/2014 12:45 pm

I am always busy but am rarely in a hurry. I learned early to plan and make time for the people in my life. I feel successful not because I am rich or something as temporary as that. I am successful at the impact i make on the lives around me. My ability to smile through each day has been a blessing to me. My success lies in achieving my goals and making others know that they matter to at least one person.

75. Amanda Gray Woodward permalink
    10/12/2014 12:48 pm

Thanks for the article it is something to think about.

76. 10/12/2014 12:57 pm

I was just telling my mom today how busy I am but I don’t know what I am busy doing! That’s life as a new mom I guess. Great post!

77. S. Daniel permalink
    10/12/2014 6:39 pm

This hit home for me today. As a busy working mom of 4, it is difficult to keep up. My daughter has a test tomorrow, that I knew nothing about because I was too busy to notice. I have to do better for them.

78. Prem Suman permalink
    10/12/2014 8:24 pm

I have to say, I learned very much here, many questions discussed, and I think we all should have certain goals that we love, and we should have the passion to pursue it. But in the between, don’t forget about you loved ones.

79. rebecca permalink
    10/12/2014 10:08 pm

So many of these things ring true for myself and for the people I work with. Even when there isn’t something that has to be done now, I end up feeling like I need to find something.

80. chrissy4gordon24 permalink
    11/12/2014 8:20 am

It’s always so important to give your time to others, you never know what they are going through.

81. 11/12/2014 10:27 am

I love that last quote about making the other person feel important and the top ten list. Good post!

82. Rebecca Swenor permalink
    11/12/2014 11:25 am

Great post indeed. We really do have to slow down and look at what is most important to us in our lives as while as other around us. Thanks for sharing. I my self don’t want any regrets.

83. Mari Cris Lim permalink
    11/12/2014 12:26 pm

Thank you for this post. I especially like the top 10 regrets in life by people about to die. It made me realize some things in my life and want to set my priorities right. Keep it up! Just want you to know you might be helping/encouraging others through your writings.

84. Sharon W. permalink
    11/12/2014 3:25 pm

I am always so busy, that I never spend time to realize what I really want in life. Thanks for sharing this with me. 🙂

85. Brigid OHara Koshko permalink
    12/12/2014 3:28 am

Love this post! I always feel I am rushing around, especially around the holidays. I have been trying to stop and re-evaluate and this post makes me want to truly figure out priorities. Thank you!

86. Trish F permalink
    12/12/2014 9:14 am

What a great post. As someone who has been forced to slow down due to an illness it sure gives one a new perspective to see how others are missing the important things in life and taking it for granted.

87. 12/12/2014 12:52 pm

Great words and something I try to keep in my mind every day. To enjoy day by day and not rush, to be grateful for what I have and ejnoy things as they are, not as I want them to be. Thank you

88. kelli permalink
    12/12/2014 6:47 pm

this is such a great article to share. the infographic included is great, too. i find myself again and again too busy documenting moments instead of just living them and being in the moment. i’ve found that i’m way too “connected.”

89. ronclaverjr permalink
    14/12/2014 8:13 pm

As a CNA in a hospice facility , I have seen many people face death. Some are at peace with death, acceptance of death probably have few or no regrets. Others are not at peace, not acceptance of death, and probably have many regrets. I try to live without regrets, but I am not perfect, am a work in progress.

90. Marielle Altenor permalink
    14/12/2014 10:53 pm

I’ve been working on slowing down a bit (easier said than done). I find the more “busy” I am, the less I actually get done.

91. brandyellen permalink
    16/12/2014 7:51 am

This is such a great post, I agree that so many are busy without actually being “busy” .. they are not accomplishing anything yet always saying “I am so busy”. I like to slow down in life, take it one step at a time and be happy!

92. 16/12/2014 11:11 am

I always try to slow down my day and stop and take in the little moments spent with my little one!

93. 16/12/2014 1:32 pm

I’ve always loved the quote “Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans” I did not realize it was from John Lennon. Learn something new everyday! I also love the quote from Mary Kay Ash. That is so important.

94. 14/01/2015 4:04 pm

This is such a nice post. I’ve been in the rushing kind of lifestyle before and I got really sick. And, I’ve learned so much from it. I’ve changed my lifestyle and my perspective. Also, I started to prepare for my retirement 🙂

1. Motivation Mondays: Compassion | Mirth and Motivation
  2. Motivation Mondays: Joy! | Mirth and Motivation
  3. Motivation Mondays: REGRETS | Mirth and Motivation
  4. Motivation Mondays: SILENCE | Mirth and Motivation
  5. Motivation Mondays: PERSPECTIVE | Mirth and Motivation
  6. Motivation Mondays: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Most Inspired Quotes | Mirth and Motivation
  7. Motivation Mondays: Comfort Zone | Mirth and Motivation
  17. Motivation Mondays: PERFECTION | Mirth and Motivation
  18. Motivation Mondays: MISTAKES! | Mirth and Motivation
  19. Motivation Mondays: GROWTH | Mirth and Motivation
  20. Motivation Mondays: MINDFULNESS | Mirth and Motivation
  21. Motivation Mondays: APPRECIATION | Mirth and Motivation
  22. Motivation Mondays: HAPPINESS | Mirth and Motivation
  23. Motivation Mondays: What’s A Wellness, Fitness & Healthy LifeStyle? | Mirth and Motivation
  24. Motivation Mondays: Honoring SERVICE | Mirth and Motivation
  37. Motivation Mondays: PURPOSE | Mirth and Motivation
  38. Motivation Mondays: FAILURE | Mirth and Motivation
  39. Motivation Mondays: HOPE | Mirth and Motivation
  40. Motivation Mondays: Labor & Literacy | Mirth and Motivation
  41. Motivation Mondays: Positive Thinking | Mirth and Motivation
  42. Motivation Mondays: Partnerships For Peace | Mirth and Motivation
  43. Motivation Mondays: Good Neighbors & Goodwill #GoodNeighborDay | Mirth and Motivation
  44. Motivation Mondays: SMILE #mondaymotivation | Mirth and Motivation
  45. Motivation Mondays: Happy Thanksgiving #mondaymotivation | Mirth and Motivation
  46. Motivation Mondays: HOLIDAY SPIRIT #mondaymotivation | Mirth and Motivation
  47. Motivation Mondays: International Women’s Day #IWD2016 | Mirth and Motivation
  48. Motivation Mondays: EARTH DAY | Mirth and Motivation
  49. Motivation Mondays: Serendipity | Mirth and Motivation
  50. Motivation Mondays: Matters Of The Heart | Mirth and Motivation
  51. Motivation Mondays: RELAXATION | Mirth and Motivation
  52. Motivation Mondays: PREPARED | Mirth and Motivation
  53. Motivation Mondays: AWE | Mirth and Motivation
  54. Motivation Mondays: Happy Valentine’s Day | Mirth and Motivation
  55. Motivation Mondays: Honoring Presidents’ Day | Mirth and Motivation
  56. Motivation Mondays: Reflections On Easter & Passover | Mirth and Motivation
  57. Motivation Mondays: Earth Day for Environmental & Climate Literacy | Mirth and Motivation
  58. Motivation Mondays: BREATHE | Mirth and Motivation