“Pets are humanizing. They remind us we have an obligation and responsibility to preserve and nurture and care for all life.” James Cromwell
Until one has loved an animal a part of one’s soul remains unawakened. Anatole France
Animals are such agreeable friends – they ask no questions; they pass no criticisms. George Eliot
Way down deep, we’re all motivated by the same urges. Cats have the courage to live by them. Jim Davis
When we adopt a dog or any pet, we know it is going to end with us having to say goodbye, but we still do it. And we do it for a very good reason: They bring so much joy and optimism and happiness. They attack every moment of every day with that attitude. Bruce Cameron
FIRST PETS: Do you remember the first pet you ever had? My earliest memory of a pet in my family was of our Jack Russell Terrier, JB. He was a mix of white and brown spots and had the energy of a workhorse. He loved chasing birds, chickens, and anything small that moved, including toys. We learned many of the lessons I’ve included in this post with/from him, because he had a great zest for life and was a very social, happy and active dog. Because JB enjoyed playing, we often had races with him on the street. He would win. In the rare event, when it seemed like he was losing ground, he’d get a bit aggressive and whimper. He was a delightful dog with many great qualities; He was courageous, curious, and motivated. He wasn’t afraid to go after what he wanted and chased little critters with great joy and an optimistic spirit.
JB taught us to be humane and responsible as we had to make sure he was fed and cared for and that is often a tall order for most kids. When we called his name, he would come close, listen intently and patiently, Then,he would simply follow our instructions. We loved him dearly and he loved us back. It didn’t matter what the game was, he was ready and able to join in without any qualms or complaints. Unfortunately, JB’s life came to a tragic end when he chased a ball into the street and got run over by a car. We mourned his loss and, for a number of years, no other pet entered our household. We could have claimed the chickens in the coop behind our family home as an easy pet replacement but they were not. They were strictly part of the family food chain, as were all the other farm animals. Over time, another dog or pair of dogs took center stage in our home. They were attack dogs and, by then, I had left home for boarding school.
Sunday was National Dog Day so it is apropos that we talk about this very important subject. I also happen to live in the 2nd largest dog loving state, NY. A lot of people have pets here so there is always access to helpful information for new owners. As much as we believe we teach our pets ways to interact, our pets can teach us qualities that we all need in order to function well in society. They bring a caring sensibility to the relationship they build with new owners and, if reciprocity is our strongest suit, it can make for a long lasting, stress reducing union.
READ: 11 Important Life Lessons Pets Teach Us by Miriam Roelink, MS
So, You Want a Pet Guinea Pig?
“Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to.” Alfred A. Montapert
An animal’s eyes have the power to speak a great language. Martin Buber
No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does. Christopher Morley
I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul. Jean Cocteau
There’s a saying. If you want someone to love you forever, buy a dog, feed it and keep it around. Dick Dale
If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans. James Herriot
Love And More: One quality we often hear when people talk about their favorite pets is unconditional love. Our pets love us implicitly and show their devotion in so many ways. Whenever I leave home, our cat Tangy, makes sure to sit by the window at a certain time when he anticipates my arrival or the arrival of another family member. For some reason, he seems to know exactly when that will be because I’ve observed him hit that perch just around the time another family member comes home. Our pets are not only devoted, they show their love in unspoken ways and can communicate with us by telepathy… Yeah, some of you might think that is crazy but pet owners who have such a connection with their pets understand this. Also, one of my best friends told me how her family cat could sense when someone was feeling down or ill, and she would cuddle up to show and give support. Our cat does that too and it never ceases to amaze me how consistent the pattern is.
Our pets depend on us for their sustenance so, the gratitude comes with knowing we’re there to provide food and shelter for them. Pets don’t take that for granted;especially pets that come from shelters. Our cat came from a shelter and he’s very protective of his home, his human family and his space. He can also show affection in the funniest ways. For instance, he’d climb into the laundry basket just as you are getting ready to pick it up. He’d casually roll on his back, stick his paws in the air and meow… Hahaha, a cat’s life. When we have pets in our households, we learn so many lessons from them. Even though the lessons might seem so small, if we think about the interactions we have, and the open and loving way our pets show their trust and respond to us, we could all learn about letting old stuff go. Be open to new experiences and forgive the past. Yes, our pets are very focused on the predictability of the present moment/
❤Power of unspoken
READ: 10 Scientific Benefits of Being a Dog Owner
10 Scientific Benefits of Being a Cat Owner
The details for Motivation Mondays are below. Join in! The themes for JULY 2018/AUG 2018 are:
07/01 – 04, Independence Day
07/08 – 11 World Population Day, 14 Bastille Day
07/15 – 15 National Ice cream Day, 18 Nelson Mandela Day
07/22 – 22 Parents Day,
07/29 – 30 International Day of Friendship, Day against Trafficking
08/01 – Girlfriend Day
08/06 – Friendship Day, World Indigenous People Day,
08/13 – International Youth Day
08/20 – World Humanitarian Day, MTV Music Awards
08/27 – National Dog Day
Are You Looking for Ways to Stay Creative in 2018?
– Join the Daily Post Post-a-day or Post-a-week Challenge.
— Join the BlogHer Writing Lab
“Animals are sentient, intelligent, perceptive, funny and entertaining. We owe them a duty of care as we do to children.” Michael Morpurgo
I wish people would realize that animals are totally dependent on us, helpless, like children, a trust that is put upon us. James Herriot
There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. Albert Schweitzer
Pets have more love and compassion in them than most humans. Robert Wagner
He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. Immanuel Kant
Our Pet’s Innate Intelligence: When I started thinking of a list of lessons learned from being a pet owner, I had about 10 points. However, as I reflected on the topic and revisited stories and incidents involving pets, I was struck by how smart our pets are in showing us how to love them back and care for their well-being. They patiently wait for us to sense their needs and find ways to express them without words. Because our pets depend on us to care for them, they spend a lot of time reassuring us that friendship and vulnerability are important qualities to have. We share our trust with them and, by the same token, they are perceptive enough to know our range of emotional struggles. They know when we are hurting, so the qualities of compassion, kindness and friendship are high on their list because they feel those emotions very strongly and intuit the same in us as their owners… Come back soon for more observations on what led to me to pick 20 Pets Lessons.
Any Zen Antics stories via
Positive Motivation Tip: Cherish your pets and relationships. They are gifts that keeps on giving.
Motivation Mondays is open to anyone who wishes to share a motivational quote, photo, personal challenge or a post that encourages others to start the week on an upbeat note.
Basic Instructions: Each week, I will have a motivation word to help us create a response. (See listed words for the months above/below)
Email address: You may email or share your post as a comment and I will add it to the round-up of related posts. email it to: contact(@)mirthandmotivation(.)com
Category tag: – Share your post using Motivation Mondays
Twitter hashtag: – Use this on Twitter #MotvnM
Dedicated Page: There is a dedicated page for Motivation Mondays. It has the same instructions and will include other helpful tools and a link to the round-up
Facebook Page: MotivationOnMondays Join our page and add your post and/or any motivational piece you think will be helpful to others.
Facebook Community: We have a Facebook community forum to compliment the page. It serves as another way to share uplifting posts and thoughts. Please join in and add your voice.
Badge: – I created a fun badge using PicMonkey’s free photo editing tools. You can create your own, use WordPress’ integrated tool on your blog or you are welcome to use mine. (see dedicated page)
Tag: – Motivation Mondays
Hashtag: – #MotvnM
- Motivation Mondays: Valuable Time of Maturity (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: Fountain of Youth (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: LIFE RULES (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: International Friendship Day(mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: DECISIONS (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: Mandela Day #ActionAgainstPoverty (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: PLANNING #WORLDPOPULATIONDAY (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: Optimism. Life. Independence Day (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: Grow & Blossom (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: Wonderfully Made (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: Honoring Father’s Day (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: Love & Laughter (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: Observing Memorial Day (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: VALUE YOURSELF (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: LIFE CHOICES (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: Why Mother’s Day Matters (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: CLOSED DOORS (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: A Passion For BOOKS (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: VOLUNTEER – #NationalVolunteerWeek (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: PERFECT CONDITIONS (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: BEING HAPPY (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: REBIRTH (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: International Day of Happiness & Global Goals(mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: St. Patrick’s Day Traditions, Toasts & Tales (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: International Women’s Day #TimeisNow (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: HEART & HISTORY MATTER (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: BLACK PANTHER REVIEW (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: Beyond Valentine’s Day (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: Heart of Transitions (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: Disrupt Your Paradigms (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: Walk In the Light #MLKDay(mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: Stumbling Blocks (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: Happy New Year (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: Suicide Prevention Awareness Month (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: BREATHE (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: REST (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: World Health Day – Depression #LetsTalk (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: Why Does #MLKDAY Matter? (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: World Mental Health Day (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: RELAXATION (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: Matters Of The Heart (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: PAIN #mondaymotivation (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: I Have A Dream #MLKDay (mirthandmotivation)
- Motivation Mondays: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s Most Inspired Quotes(mirthandmotivation)
They remind us to be humane and responsible