Motivation Mondays: OPPOSITES

25/01/2016

“Our mind is capable of passing beyond the dividing line we have drawn for it. Beyond the pairs of opposites of which the world consists, other, new insights begin.” Hermann Hesse

Motivation Mondays: OPPOSITES - There are Opposites in all things - Yin and Yang

Motivation Mondays: OPPOSITES – There are Opposites in all things – Yin and Yang

Light is meaningful only in relation to darkness, and truth presupposes error. It is these mingled opposites which people our life, which make it pungent, intoxicating. We only exist in terms of this conflict, in the zone where black and white clash. Louis Aragon
The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. Niels Bohr

What does the term OPPOSITE mean to you? What comes to mind when you think of the flip side of what is in front of you? Yin and Yang? The duality that exists in nature and our lives? In case you are wondering about the word, today is OPPOSITE Day and it’s a great opportunity to look at your goals, dreams and current journey and, perhaps, consider the opposite, alternate approach to achieving your goals. Some of us go through life with rigid ideas of how to accomplish our tasks, and we forget that life is neither linear nor one dimensional. For every perspective we hold, there is an opposite viewpoint that might help us reach a point of clarity and success. Imagine if we lived in a world that lacked opposites or contrasts? How would we learn to appreciate Spring, if we didn’t go through the challenges of a Winter snowstorm? How would we appreciate the beauty of daylight, if we never experienced the dark depths of nighttime?

Opposites give us food for thought: By the same token, part of the complexities we see in our surroundings are shaped by that tug of opposites that force us to think and make choices. Without the duality of opposites, we would not be fully alive or challenged because of all the sameness that would be our lot.  Hence, we experience the duality of life during up and down times that shape our personal narratives. Each of us will go through tough and easy seasons during our lifetime, and we will have opportunities to prove our metier by weathering the storms of life and reaching, with gratitude, for the rewards that come when our efforts and patience bear fruit. Our attitude and willingness to shift from our rigid positions will help our growth because there is no growth without movement. A river can only expand its banks by flowing against the tides and gaining fresh access to new tributaries or streams. We have the capacity to look at both sides of an issue and find compassionate solutions to rigidity. Stay alert to the opposites around you, there is much wisdom and creative expression to gain from them.

He who creates a poison, also has the cure.
He who creates a virus, also has the antidote.
He who creates chaos, also has the ability to create peace.
He who sparks hate, also has the ability to transform it to love.
He who creates misery, also has the ability to destroy it with kindness.
He who creates sadness, also has the ability to to covert it to happiness.
He who creates darkness, can also be awakened to produce illumination.
He who spreads fear, can also be shaken to spread comfort.
Any problems created by the left hand of man,
Can also be solved with the right,
For he who manifests anything,
Also has the ability to
Destroy it.

The details for Motivation Mondays are below. Join in! The themes for December 2015 and January 2016 are:

12/07  – GIVING SEASON –
12/14 – AWARENESS –
12/21 –  HOLIDAY SPIRIT –
12/28 – THE JOURNEY –

01/04 – ANEW –
01/11 – POSSESSIONS –
01/18 – MLK DAY –
01/25 – Opposite Day, Yin and Yang –

Are You Looking for Ways to Stay Creative in 2016?

PostaDayPostaWeekCollage1
– Join the Daily Post Post-a-day or Post-a-week Challenge.

BlogHerWritingLabCollage1

— Join the BlogHer Writing Lab

“All colors are the friends of their neighbors and the lovers of their opposites.” Marc Chagall

You couldn’t have strength without weakness, you couldn’t have light without dark, you couldn’t have love without loss. Jodi Picoult, The Tenth Circle
Opposites attract, and I think temperament is so fundamental that you end up craving someone of the opposite temperament to complete you. Susan Cain
The opposite of love is not hate, it’s indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it’s indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it’s indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it’s indifference. Elie Wiesel

Like the beautiful Yin and Yang symbols above, we can learn a lot from studying and observing the duality that exists in us and around us. Have you ever held a conviction that was tested and abandoned or changed? What made you switch your point of view? Why did you hold the initial conviction with such alacrity? We can avoid becoming jaded or indifferent if we take the time to consider the value in considering opposites. If we spend time observing nature and all around her/us, we will begin to see the beauty in opposites; day and night, birth and death, new and old and all the permutations in-between.

Be present and reflective: Frankly, our ability to appreciate the value of opposites can contribute to our understanding of logic. So, for today and the coming month, make a commitment to consider the opposite viewpoint when you need to solve a problem and even as you make new goals. What are you currently doing that isn’t working and needs to be flipped on its head? Creative resolutions can come when we step away from our true and tried and take a new approach to our problems…. Consider the opposite and look at your world with new eyes.

A Story: The Wise Frog
A wise Zen frog was explaining to the younger frogs the balance of nature: “Do you see how that fly eats a gnat? And now (with a bite) I eat the fly. It is all part of the great scheme of things.”
“Isn’t it bad to kill in order to live?” asked the thoughtful frog.
“It depends . . .” answered the wise frog just as a snake swallowed the Zen frog in one chomp before the
frog finished his sentence.
“Depends on what?” shouted the students.
“Depends on whether you’re looking at things from the inside or outside,” came the muffled response from inside the snake.
Source: Zen Antics All stories via Goodweb.cn

Positive Motivation Tip: Stay open to the opposites around you. There are great insights and lessons to learn from them.

Motivation Mondays is open to anyone who wishes to share a motivational quote, photo, personal challenge or a post that encourages others to start the week on an upbeat note.
Basic Instructions: Each week, I will have a motivation word to help us create a response. (See listed words for the months above/below)
Email address: You may email or share your post as a comment and I will add it to the round-up of related posts. email it to: contact(@)mirthandmotivation(.)com
Category tag: – Share your post using Motivation Mondays
Twitter hashtag: – Use this on Twitter #MotvnM
Dedicated Page: There is a dedicated page for Motivation Mondays. It has the same instructions and will include other helpful tools and a link to the round-up
Facebook Page: MotivationOnMondays Join our page and add your post and/or any motivational piece you think will be helpful to others.
Facebook Community: We have a Facebook community forum to compliment the page. It serves as another way to share uplifting posts and thoughts. Please join in and add your voice.

Badge: – I created a fun badge using PicMonkey’s free photo editing tools. You can create your own, use WordPress’ integrated tool on your blog or you are welcome to use mine. (see dedicated page)
Tag: – Motivation Mondays
Hashtag: – #MotvnM

Related Posts

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: Stories via Zen Stories on Goodweb.cn   Quotes via  All Photos: From my Personal Collection,  and/or Yin and Yang Opposites via Wikipedia

1. Masshole Mommy permalink
    25/01/2016 3:00 pm

They say opposites attract. Definitely the case in my husband’s and my situation.

2. 25/01/2016 3:04 pm

Ha! I love the frog story. It really does depend….

3. thecraftysideofsarcasm permalink
    25/01/2016 3:52 pm

I didn’t know today was opposite day. It’s still snowy and slushy here so I’ve napped all day, which is very unlike me. I hope you’ve had a great Monday!

4. The Thought Card permalink
    25/01/2016 3:55 pm

Being flexible is one of my big takeaways. Something I need to pay more attention to in the coming year.

5. jmanandmillerbug permalink
    25/01/2016 4:11 pm

These are all good points it is always good to see what you have learned from the bad and also see where you’ve come. I think opposites can sometimes be a good thing.

6. Michelle Solee (@michisolee) permalink
    25/01/2016 4:56 pm

Opposites are not bad, it is just the way how we see things.

7. Liz Mays permalink
    25/01/2016 5:15 pm

This is really interesting to think about. I’ve seen the Yin Yang so many times and have never really reflected on it.

8. travel blogger permalink
    25/01/2016 5:16 pm

You always have such great insight. If I am not getting results from my approach I often stop and remind myself there are other ways to go about accomplishing what I want. It is just sometimes trying to think beyond the rut I am stuck in is difficult.

9. laci permalink
    25/01/2016 5:22 pm

Opposites attract ! Love it ! Laci

10. tara pittman permalink
    25/01/2016 5:39 pm

I think of opposites attract. This is good in a relationship for excitement.

11. The Binder Ladies (@thebinderladies) permalink
    25/01/2016 6:22 pm

I love the yin and yang…balance is something everyone needs in their life.

12. 25/01/2016 7:31 pm

Opposite means balance….life is a balance of things or it would be life most boring

13. 25/01/2016 8:39 pm

To answer your question “what does the term opposite means to me?” Opposite is anything that’s not the same but different. Not necessary a good or bad thing. Just different.

14. Beth@FrugalFroggie permalink
    25/01/2016 9:03 pm

I was working with my son over the weekend on opposites. He was having a hard time figuring it out.

15. Fashion Travels (@tauyanm) permalink
    25/01/2016 9:41 pm

this made me think hard today hahaha made me think about my life before and now

16. Esme Sy permalink
    25/01/2016 9:48 pm

I had no idea there is an Opposite Day. You are right about all this. If there is no opposite there won’t be balance. And sometimes, choosing the opposite will lead you to the right direction.

17. 25/01/2016 10:49 pm

Very thought provoking!

• 26/01/2016 10:00 am

Always grateful; for your feedback. Using my journal for daily reflections… so beautiful! You need to make more and sell them. ❤

Liked by 1 person

• 26/01/2016 12:26 pm

My friend and I do make and sell them, as well as leather ones, pretty boxes and cards like the one I sent with my haiku. So glad you like it sweetheart and that you found a use for it x 🙂 x

• 26/01/2016 1:29 pm

Sure do… Do you guys have a website or Etsy store? Do share! TY! ❤

18. Ryan Escat permalink
    25/01/2016 10:52 pm

i love the story. a new monday was a productive day.

19. Ana De-Jesus permalink
    26/01/2016 12:22 am

I didn’t know that yesterday was opposite day! The more you know!

20. RonRon permalink
    26/01/2016 12:35 am

The frog story makes a lot of sense. Awesome post once again.

21. rochkirstin permalink
    26/01/2016 2:33 am

Wow, so deep! I think opposites are important — often we hear questions like why do evil exist, why is there darkness, or why do we feel sadness? It is through these and their presence that we can only experience the good, light, and happiness.

22. Claire Algarme permalink
    26/01/2016 3:36 am

Opposites are needed to strike a balance and sets a certain perspective. A high cannot be high if there is nothing beneath it. Great theme.

23. Rosey permalink
    26/01/2016 3:50 am

There is a lot of duality all around us. Keeps us in healthy balance when we practice it in life, definitely. 🙂

24. Erica Brooks permalink
    26/01/2016 7:24 am

Another awesome quote. “Our mind is capable of passing beyond the dividing line we have drawn for it.”. I totally agree.

25. sabridalshop permalink
    26/01/2016 7:24 am

26. Maddie permalink
    26/01/2016 7:34 am

No, today’s not opposite day. :p I think opposites can be good.

27. Crizzy Kiss (@CrizzyKiss) permalink
    26/01/2016 8:30 am

I’m always with the opposite people. I easily get bored hanging out with the same people each time. Plus, I always learn something from the opposites and give a different perspective 😉

28. upliftingfam permalink
    26/01/2016 9:04 am

When I look at things, I usually already have my mind made up. However, sometimes it’s good to consider what the other option is so that I can talk to my kids about negative situations or unhealthy choices. Thank you for sharing.

29. Andrea permalink
    26/01/2016 9:37 am

opposites to me are just a way of looking at where i am – and choosing to go in a totally different direction in my life…

30. RLDeals) permalink
    26/01/2016 9:56 am

Love the wise frog story! Definitely shows there are two ways to think about things.

31. Vipin Behari Goyal permalink
    26/01/2016 10:26 am

Two opposites are complimentary to each other. Duality is superficial. I like this theory.

32. Coralie permalink
    26/01/2016 10:28 am

I am working so hard on balance this year. Spending time with my family is way important to me and I am making work take the second lane – while still important – it is not MORE important.

33. michelle permalink
    26/01/2016 11:27 am

i really enjoyed reading this and will make a more conscious effort to consider the opposite view points

34. Melissa Bernardo permalink
    26/01/2016 1:02 pm

I love reading your posts! This one was wonderful. Thank you for sharing 🙂

35. April G permalink
    26/01/2016 1:34 pm

Opposites are necessary. Without good, there is no bad and vice versa. Thought provoking.

36. Carol Cassara (@ccassara) permalink
    26/01/2016 2:13 pm

I love your thoughtful discussion of duality. It’s sure timely and it was definitely food for thought this election season.

37. patricemfoster permalink
    26/01/2016 3:19 pm

Opposite attract I believe this to be true. The frog story tells us it all about how we look at things so true. Great post!

38. Anamika Ojha permalink
    26/01/2016 4:00 pm

Opposites do attract and I loved your frog story. Thanks for sharing this post with us.

39. travel blogger permalink
    26/01/2016 6:35 pm

I think opposites are what allow for balance in our lives. We have to have opposites in order to create a sense of harmony.

40. Myrah Duque permalink
    26/01/2016 7:12 pm

Balancing life and work is top priority this year!

41. Kristina permalink
    26/01/2016 7:13 pm

Love this! I love the yin and yang symbols and the meaning of balance, opposites. Love reading your posts.

42. Christine - The Choosy Mommy permalink
    26/01/2016 8:26 pm

My husband and I are most certainly opposite when it comes to some things but not all. My brother and I are COMPLETE opposites though and I find it interesting that our same parents raised such different people. Goes to show that not everyone is the same!

43. PJ Zafra permalink
    26/01/2016 8:26 pm

Great post here! I love the thought process that you’ve shared here. I believe opposites give variety in life. We all need a balance of both in order to experience a variety which then creates excitement. Thanks for sharing. Loved this post. Keep it up!

44. Kai | Lilpink permalink
    26/01/2016 8:34 pm

i love the story about the wise frog. in the end, he got eaten by a snake. lol. i wonder if the snake is wise, too!

45. yvonnembertoldo permalink
    26/01/2016 8:45 pm

I’ve come to realize that I’ve never actually considered nor give emphasis on the opposites that surrounds me. Little did I know that it can actually help me as well once I give importance to the opposites as well. That’s nice to know. Thanks 🙂

46. Girl, Unspotted permalink
    27/01/2016 6:13 am

My husband and I are living proof that opposite attracts. It’s a great balance in our marriage indeed!

47. Julie Syl Kalungi (@Syl_julekalungi) permalink
    27/01/2016 6:54 am

Highly insightful Post Eliza. The day the message sank in my mind that “He who created the weapon also created me and Then he says ” No weapon formed against me shall prosper” I begun to enjoy my life with peace of mind that I am safe on this planet under his wings. Yin and Yang, opposites attract..yet darkness cannot survive where there is light. Not that it wont lurk on the sidelines waiting for a moment to steal the light lol. How we handle out light which comes from within keeps the dark away!

48. Miss Millennia Mag (@MissMillMag) permalink
    27/01/2016 7:25 am

These all are good points and I love the frog story!!

49. abccreativelearning permalink
    27/01/2016 7:53 am

Balance is the most important thing to keep in mind in life. We need to have two sides of things to keep life in balance. Too much of a good thing is not good and too much of a bad is not good as well.

50. Amber permalink
    27/01/2016 10:19 am

I have to be a geek for a second a relate it back to Star Wars and the force. I always think about the light and the dark side and how their has to be both to bring balance to the universe.

51. Healthier Steps permalink
    27/01/2016 10:32 am

That’s why my husband and I have a great marriage!

52. Eileen xo permalink
    27/01/2016 11:21 am

I believe taking a look at the perspective from someone of exact opposite feelings and beliefs is important to consider. We need to broaden our perspectives

53. Chubskulit Rose permalink
    27/01/2016 1:10 pm

Hubby and I are the total opposites and yet we get along so well.

54. Carmela Pop permalink
    27/01/2016 1:22 pm

I liked a lot the frog story! Thanks for sharing!!

55. maerose007 permalink
    27/01/2016 2:02 pm

Once again, an interesting post from you! I love the concept of the yin and the yang. Now that i think about it, my boyfriend and I are not exactly complementing each other. From the choice of career, to the way of doing things and thinking. We are opposite, yet we enjoy our differences. 😉 I might just print or paint a yinyang and give it to him, so we will always remember to compromise. Great reminder! Thanks!

56. Anosa permalink
    27/01/2016 2:12 pm

Opposites attract they say! It let’s you see the good in the bad. Interesting post

57. phyliciamarie permalink
    27/01/2016 4:45 pm

You couldn’t have said it better. Just like when people say, put yourself in others shoes and see how you feel, thinking about opposites gives us a better understanding of any situation. Which makes it a better learning experience.

58. thedealmatchmaker permalink
    27/01/2016 5:24 pm

Opposites / Differences are not always bad. We all need a balance in life

59. Claudette Esterine permalink
    27/01/2016 7:01 pm

I have come to appreciate the word contrasts rather than opposites. The latter suggests one aspect is not inherent in the other aspect = the Yin is in the Yang and vice versa.

60. Julie (xfallenmoon) permalink
    27/01/2016 8:01 pm

Ok wow. I think I’m going to save this post and come back to it later. So many things I want to read in the linked Motivation Monday Posts!!! Thanks for linking to all of them.

61. PopShopAmerica (@PopShopAmerica) permalink
    27/01/2016 8:28 pm

I love the frog story too. This is a great topic and the yin yang is such a great symbol for opposites.

62. Jeypi Kyu permalink
    27/01/2016 8:48 pm

wow so there is an opposite day. this post makes me realize alot about balancing life. opposites really attract each other. without light there won’t be darkness. it’s just the way it is. 🙂

63. Jonathan W Key permalink
    28/01/2016 10:54 am

Opposites are an interesting concept. It’s important to stop and reflect on these things. Thanks for the great post Eliz!

64. Debbie Denny permalink
    28/01/2016 4:02 pm

Oh I love the story. Duality is all around us

65. Camesha | Mama Motivator permalink
    28/01/2016 8:28 pm

I love the poem. It’s powerful – mostly because of the truth of the words. It really give you something to think about.

66. Jennifer Dawn permalink
    28/01/2016 9:19 pm

I’ve always looked at it as opposites complementing each other. One may have what the other lacks or is weak in.

67. Lisa Rios permalink
    29/01/2016 4:41 am

Such an interesting read & the frog story was quiet amazing. I think it is good we have something opposite to inspire our-self as you could learn something out of it. There is nothing to lose for sure. Thanks for motivating.

68. Scott permalink
    29/01/2016 5:56 am

My girls usually remind me about opposite day since they talk about it at school. Looks like they are getting too old for it now, since they forgot it also!

69. Shannon Peterson permalink
    29/01/2016 10:27 am

My husband and I are very much opposites, and I think we balance each other out very well!

70. Nicole Haas Etolen permalink
    29/01/2016 3:30 pm

This is a great insight! Opposites are good because you’ll have greater appreciation of the variety of life.

71. LifeAsAConvert permalink
    29/01/2016 5:25 pm

Oh wow! I don’t know if I could keep up with a post a day on my blog. I struggle sometimes to keep up on youtube lol

72. sacha permalink
    30/01/2016 3:13 pm

Powerful post! will be checking out more of “IN THE HANDS OF MAN BY Suzy Kassem, Rise Up and Salute the Sun: The Writings of Suzy Kassem” I’m in love with the first one:
    “He who creates poison, has the cure,” and the last one
    “For he who manifests anything,
    Also has the ability to Destroy it.” so powerful, amazing. Thanks for sharing

73. Teresa Martinez permalink
    31/01/2016 11:00 am

This post certainly gave me something to think about in relation to life perspective.

74. nilyncartagena permalink
    07/02/2016 6:40 am

my husband and I are not too opposite but I still believe that opposites do attract, I know a lot of couples who do. As for me and my husband, we are have many things in common but we do have opposites as well. 🙂

75. Marissa Bulatao (@MommyUnwired) permalink
    13/02/2016 3:57 am

I think that aside from being opposites, they create balance. So we really need those blacks and whites together

1. Motivation Mondays: EARTH DAY | Mirth and Motivation
  2. Motivation Mondays: Serendipity | Mirth and Motivation
  3. Motivation Mondays: RELAXATION | Mirth and Motivation
  4. Motivation Mondays: PREPARED | Mirth and Motivation
  5. Motivation Mondays: THANKSGIVING | Mirth and Motivation
  6. Motivation Mondays: Happy Valentine’s Day | Mirth and Motivation
  7. Motivation Mondays: Reflections On Easter & Passover | Mirth and Motivation
  8. Motivation Mondays: Earth Day for Environmental & Climate Literacy | Mirth and Motivation
  9. Motivation Mondays: BREATHE | Mirth and Motivation