Motivation Mondays: MODERATION

05/06/2017

“In things a moderation keep; Kings ought to shear, not skin, their sheep.” Robert Herrick

Motivation Mondays: MODERATION - When does it matter?

Motivation Mondays: MODERATION – When does it matter?

Motivation Mondays: MODERATION - When does it matter?

Motivation Mondays: MODERATION – When does it matter?

Never go to excess, but let moderation be your guide. Marcus Tullius Cicero
Be moderate in everything, including moderation. Horace Porter
Throw moderation to the winds, and the greatest pleasures bring the greatest pains. Democritus

MODERATION: Why does it matter? Recently, I was having a heart to heart chat with my loved ones and they were quite direct about the amount of time I spend on the internet. Between the groups I manage, the groups I participate in, the sponsored work and the many social media sites I use to promote my blog, I can definitely understand their concern. Even with the various services that help the process along, it can add up to long hours spent online doing endless chores that don’t add up in concrete ways. So being mindful about how we spend our time helps us gauge when we are veering off track. In the blogging world, there are endless ways to spend time, waste time, and kill our time on monotonous activities. Without the help of a Virtual Assistant or supreme control over when we engage with others, it can quickly become a stressful and overwhelming experience. We don’t have to join every group or participate in every campaign because, sooner or later, we will get caught in the hamster wheel of never finishing tasks or being satisfied with the outcomes.

How do we create balance when we have goals that we are determined to achieve?  Prioritize! Pare down. Cut back. Say goodbye to minutiae and hello to more quality time spent with your loved ones and being truly creative. We often talk about throwing caution to the wind when we aim for success but then, in the next breath, we warn against indulging our passions or senses excessively. Sometimes, these conflicting messages make it hard to determine which actions bring success; excess or moderation? To stay the course, we need to be clear about our own limitations and draw a line in the sand.  It is imperative to take time out for self and damn the consequences. Unfortunately, there are those who think we should be working like factory conveyor belts. When you fall off, a very human quality, they toss you like dirty laundry. That said, the onus is on us to get up and count our blessings and move forward with wisdom and clarity about where we want to spend our time. Where are you TRULY supported? Which path fits your personality? Which path will produce the best results and quality of life for you?

Most accomplished artists rarely develop their craft with temperance in mind; they obsess about their work, create, practice or rehearse endlessly, go over their work again and again, until they can express it in their sleep. Can you imagine Picasso, Monet or Cézanne painting moderately? Yet, there is some wisdom in paying attention to how and where we spend our time.  If we spend our time laboring over tasks with few productive outcomes then we need to take a closer look and prioritize. We live in an age of smartphones and smart access to tons of things so, being mindful about not running our engines 24/7 is imperative. I think moderation, as Democritus references in his quote above, tends to come into play over things that are harmful for us; drugs, alcohol, smoking, unsafe sex, and perhaps excess food. In those things, balance is key… even abstinence.  In seeking moderation, we need to clarify our expectations and choose wisely.

A STORY: The Little Glutton by Pedro Pablo Sacristán
Once upon a time there was a little glutton who only ate sweets and candy. One day, in an antique shop he found an old magnifying glass. He liked it very much, and his parents bought it for him. He was so happy with his magnifying glass! As soon as he could, he used it to look at a little ant. It was great! The ant looked so big. But then a strange thing happened. When he took the magnifying glass away, the ant stayed the same size it had appeared through the glass. Very surprised, the boy kept experimenting, and he found that anything he looked at through the magnifying glass would get bigger, and stay that way.

Suddenly, he realized how he could best use this special ability, and he ran home. At home he took all the candies and sweets, and he made them gigantic with his magnifying glass. Then he completely stuffed himself with them, until he could eat nothing more. However, the next morning he woke up totally swollen, a bit purple, and with a huge bellyache. When the doctor came to see him, he said it was the worst case of upset tummy he had ever seen. Night and day, the little glutton suffered so much that for a long time he didn’t want to hear mention of large amounts of food. His parents were happy about this. Thanks to their son’s latest gluttony their pantry was full of the food he could not eat. What’s more, he gave up being a glutton who only ever ate sweets and candy. He wanted nothing to do with them.

And so it was that the little glutton learned that even with the best things in life, if you have too many of them, you will end up feeling ill. He decided to keep the magnifying glass in a box until he found something that would really be worth making bigger. How about you? What would you use the magnifying glass for?

“If one oversteps the bounds of moderation, the greatest pleasures cease to please.” Epictetus

Motivation Mondays: MODERATION - When does it matter?

Motivation Mondays: MODERATION – When does it matter?

Motivation Mondays: MODERATION - When does it matter?

Motivation Mondays: MODERATION – When does it matter?

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. Mark Twain
Temperance is moderation in the things that are good and total abstinence from the things that are foul. Frances E. Willard
Excess on occasion is exhilarating. It prevents moderation from acquiring the deadening effect of a habit. W. Somerset Maugham

When does Moderation Matter?  Clearly, we don’t seem to think about moderation when it comes to creating talent or becoming the best at a skill but, it is an important quality when we consider excesses that can harm us or distract us from our goals. The story above teaches a lesson about excessive behavior; in this case with food, but we might react differently if the boy practiced the piano 12 hours a day or wrote great stories, crafted over hours and hours of laborious effort,  with publishers bidding like crazy for his works. A life in moderation might be a bit challenging, perhaps, if one feels compelled to make a unique contribution to the world. However, such contributions demand tremendous effort and we must be clear about its value/impact before moderation is thrown to the wind. Once we address the obvious issues on what we will/will not moderate or indulge in, we must decide to live life fully or perish.

The details for Motivation Mondays are below. Join in! The themes for April/May 2017 are:

MAY

05/01  – May Day, World Lyme Day, 02 National Teacher Day, 03 World Press Freedom, 04 National Day of Prayer,
05 Cinco De Mayo, 06 Kentucky Derby
05/14 –  14 Mothers Day, 20 Armed Forces Day
05/21 –  22 International Biological Diversity, 24 National Brother Day, 25 Ascension, 27 Ramadan starts
05/28 – 29 Memorial Day, 31 World No Tobacco Day

JUNE

06/05  –  World Environment Day,  08 National Best Friend Day,  08 World Oceans Day
06/11 –  11  Trinity Sunday, 14 Flag Day
06/18 –  18 Father’s Day,  19 Juneteeth,  20 World Refugee Day,  21 Summer Solstice/International Yoga Day, 23 Intn’l  Widow’s Day, 24 Ramadan Ends
06/25 – 25  Eid al Fitr,  26 Against Drug Abuse Day,

Are You Looking for Ways to Stay Creative in 2017?

post-a-week-2017-md
– Join the Daily Post Post-a-day or Post-a-week Challenge.

BHWritingLab_052016_post_PROMPT1A

— Join the BlogHer Writing Lab

“The heart is great which shows moderation in the midst of prosperity.” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Motivation Mondays: MODERATION - When does it matter?

Motivation Mondays: MODERATION – When does it matter?

Motivation Mondays: MODERATION - When does it matter?

Motivation Mondays: MODERATION – When does it matter?

Saints have no moderation, nor do poets, just exuberance. Anne Sexton
Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. Oscar Wilde
Moderation is the inseparable companion of wisdom, but with it genius has not even a nodding acquaintance. Charles Caleb Colton

What more can we add to this discussion on moderation? I believe that anything we do in excess can have counterproductive outcomes. Yet, while I understand, like Cicero, that “Never go to excess, but let moderation be your guide,” there are times in our lives when we must take a leap of faith and do the thing we must, even if it means working excessively for a concentrated period of time to complete a manuscript, prepare for a show, rehearse for that dance, and practice for an upcoming recital. The human spirit seems to shine brightly when it steps out of its comfort zone of moderation to tackle a dream or a goal with courage and zeal. In those things, a life of moderation does not necessarily apply. But having a timeline for completing the goal and taking  time to unwind is equally important. All work and no play is the road to a heart attack!  What do you think? What are your thoughts? Do you believe in moderation in some things? all things? Have you ever done something to excess? How did it make you feel? Do share!

Zen Stories from Users.rider.edu

Have a Happy, Healthy 2017!

Positive Motivation Tip: Make moderation a vital part of your decision making… when it matters

Motivation Mondays is open to anyone who wishes to share a motivational quote, photo, personal challenge or a post that encourages others to start the week on an upbeat note.
Basic Instructions: Each week, I will have a motivation word to help us create a response. (See listed words for the months above/below)
Email address: You may email or share your post as a comment and I will add it to the round-up of related posts. email it to: contact(@)mirthandmotivation(.)com
Category tag: – Share your post using Motivation Mondays
Twitter hashtag: – Use this on Twitter #MotvnM
Dedicated Page: There is a dedicated page for Motivation Mondays. It has the same instructions and will include other helpful tools and a link to the round-up
Facebook Page: MotivationOnMondays Join our page and add your post and/or any motivational piece you think will be helpful to others.
Facebook Community: We have a Facebook community forum to compliment the page. It serves as another way to share uplifting posts and thoughts. Please join in and add your voice.

Badge: – I created a fun badge using PicMonkey’s free photo editing tools. You can create your own, use WordPress’ integrated tool on your blog or you are welcome to use mine. (see dedicated page)
Tag: – Motivation Mondays
Hashtag: – #MotvnM
Related Posts

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos via TEMPERANCE, Gluttony, Wikipedia  and/or MODERATION , TEMPERANCE, EXCESS, via Pixabay

1. Amanda Love permalink
    05/06/2017 9:43 pm

Everything should definitely be in moderation. Anything in excess can hurt you in the long run. It’s tough because we don’t always realize that we’re doing something too much but once we do, we should learn how to cut back.

• 06/06/2017 3:17 pm

I’m with you on that point! As I said in my post, it is imperative to take time out for self and damn the consequences. Unfortunately, there are those who think we should be working like factory conveyor belts. When you fall off, a very human quality, they toss you like dirty laundry. That said, the onus is on us to get up and count our blessings and move forward with wisdom and clarity about where we want to spend our time. 🙂

2. Nay @ beautyaddictmama permalink
    05/06/2017 9:48 pm

This is so true. I’m a real ‘binge’ person. I go all out on an activity until it’s done. Moderation would probably help me to feel more rested.

3. Robin Rue permalink
    06/06/2017 2:39 am

Moderation is a word I need help with. I am one of those people that goes all in and then ends up getting overwhelmed.

4. Samantha permalink
    06/06/2017 2:51 am

What a wonderful reminder! I can absolutely relate and agree that it can feel conflicting at times. It can be difficult to focus on moderation in a world where excess is envied.

5. Kait permalink
    06/06/2017 3:01 am

This is a huge deal in my house. Ever since I stopped working in an office and started working from home, I find it difficult to tear myself away from my computer and phone. I feel like I work three times as hard and make less money than when I was at work all day. I understand that I have to put my time in to get ahead, but sometimes I feel like it isn’t worth it to be distracted all day. I want to spend more quality time with my son and doing the things I truly love so I end up staying up at all hours of the night to finish work then I am just exhausted. Moderation and better time management are both things that I am working on this year.

6. kelly reci permalink
    06/06/2017 3:53 am

The temperance man picture and sayings looks like a lot of story behind! very interesting.

7. 06/06/2017 4:25 am

Great motivation. I am so happy to come across your blog. I love how you have categorised all your motivations. I am saving you to my favs and I will be back!!

8. Cindy Magee permalink
    06/06/2017 4:51 am

All through growing up my dad would say “Moderation is the key.” I think that there are times that we have to pour our heart and soul into a project but still make sure it isn’t taking over our lives. Then it can become an idol and that’s a dangerous place to be!

• 06/06/2017 2:20 pm

Well said. I didn’t even touch on the subject of fanatic behavior which is a close sibling of excess… Anything that becomes too much is … too much poison. 😉

9. 조이 Czjai (@RebelSweetHrt) permalink
    06/06/2017 4:59 am

Back in high school, our Science teacher would often tell us, “One is enough, two is too much, three is a poison.” Her quote stuck with us all throughout our high school life and even after we graduated. 🙂

10. GiGi Eats Celebrities permalink
    06/06/2017 6:16 am

I definitely struggle with moderation. I am an all or nothing kind of person. Been like that my whole life. It’s gotten better as I have gotten older, but I am also still very stuck in my ways! My husband helps me every day when it comes to this.

• 06/06/2017 2:17 pm

I can relate Gigi. If I love something, you can’t stop me but we do need to take time out for rejuvenation and mental rest. Our creativity is heightened when we step away for some time to refresh…

Liked by 2 people

11. Jackie permalink
    06/06/2017 6:26 am

Such a great article. It is so hard to have everything in moderation. I think we don’t cosider it much anymore and this was helpful in seeing that. Great pictures too.

12. Jay Colby permalink
    06/06/2017 7:52 am

Great post! Moderation is always vital in every aspect of our lives.

13. Kristine Nicole Alessandra permalink
    06/06/2017 9:34 am

It is funny. The word “moderation” for me has been so overused. Even my doctor tells me, “You can eat everything in moderation.” Too little or too much will be detrimental to my health. I know that because I have experienced both extremes of blood sugar fluctuations. It felt like I was going to die.

14. Jenny Temcio permalink
    06/06/2017 9:56 am

This post inspired me to take a look at some big areas in my life and evaluate whether my efforts are actually making a difference or if I need to focus on fewer goals and do them with passion. Moderation is a value to keep in mind when I am using excess time and energy put into actions that don’t have the desired outcome.

• 06/06/2017 1:17 pm

Jenny, you speak for me too. Having the conversation with my family made me stop and give more thought to my online time. I enjoy it yes, but quite a bit of it is unproductive.

15. thehouseturnedhome permalink
    06/06/2017 10:28 am

The quote by Robert Herrick had me thinking for sure! It is important to prioritize our time,especially when family needs our love and attention once in a while.

16. Corinne & Kirsty 🌸 (@corinnekirsty) permalink
    06/06/2017 10:41 am

Such great pictures as always, and so inspiring! Moderation does matter indeed. Coz the good things are good coz they are scarce and too much of something makes it boring and dangerous! xx corinne

17. Ayushi permalink
    06/06/2017 10:47 am

Thanks a lot for giving us something good to read again.

18. Dawn McAlexander permalink
    06/06/2017 11:18 am

I know several people that need to learn the meaning of moderation. That is a huge problem in this country. Too many people don’t know when to say when.

19. 06/06/2017 12:23 pm

Hello my dear one, thank you for your kind thoughts, I’m slowly emerging.

• 06/06/2017 1:14 pm

So good to hear that as I have been quite worried for you. I sent you an email from my gmail account but not sure you got it because it’s not the one you already have… Do take care of yourself and please let’s stay connected. I’ve been rethinking my time online especially after a friend passed away from Pancreatic Cancer and it gave lots of us some pause. In her final days, what truly stood before her as the most cherished memories of love and care was her family, her fiance, and her friends. We all need to remember that. ❤

20. Drake Conan VA permalink
    06/06/2017 2:02 pm

What a lovely post and sometimes my sister uses moderation as an advice word: Moderation in eating and sleeping

21. Beth Davidson permalink
    06/06/2017 2:24 pm

I certainly think moderation is key in a lot of places, like diet. But, we can’t always be moderate in work, or even play. If you get just one chance to see a place you’ve always wanted to see, for example, are you really going to leisurely see it and spend a lot of time resting up in your hotel, or are you going to see everything you can? I know I’d be on the go.

22. Jessica@HappilyHughes permalink
    06/06/2017 3:00 pm

I think moderation really is a key to a happy and healthy life. All things in moderation serves a person well. You may enjoy certain things that are not exactly healthy but allowing yourself some in moderation will still allow you to live a healthy life.

23. Chei Pangan permalink
    07/06/2017 10:18 pm

In everything we do, we should be moderate. Think which comes first of first. Plan. And do. There’s no need to have an excession in everything.

24. EG III permalink
    12/06/2017 6:57 pm

Moderation is such a key component in regulating a schedule. I actually dedicated the past month to incorporating moderation into my schedule and I saw my productivity almost double.

1. Motivation Mondays: Father’s Day Matters | Mirth and Motivation