Motivation Mondays: GROWTH

20/04/2015

“Strength and growth come only through continuous effort and struggle.” Napoleon Hill

Motivation Mondays: GROWTH - All life forms

Motivation Mondays: GROWTH – All life forms

Growth demands a temporary surrender of security. It may mean giving up familiar but limiting patterns, safe but unrewarding work, values no longer believed in, and relationships that have lost their meaning. John C. Maxwell

What does growth mean to you? Everything in life goes through a period of growth and ebb/flow. Every form of plant, mammal, animal and other life forms go through a progression of changes as they grow; to reach maturity takes effort, challenges and even failures. From the time a baby is conceived in his mother’s womb, the battle for survival begins. When we are born, we take our first gasp of air and let out a scream because we have entered unfamiliar territory. It takes a while to adjust to our new environment and, like other lifeforms depicted above, we need guidance and help from our mothers or from others that have been through the process. Our security and survival isn’t always assured but our growth demands a temporary surrender of security. The process doesn’t always work; there are times of failure but to keep growing, we must keep performing actions that support our survival.

Why focus on growth? The point here is that growth is lifelong and occurs in stages that are not always linear. Each day, we get up with hope and anticipation for what the day will bring. We perform our routines to get us going and, if all the chips fall into place, we leave our homes and head into the world to interact with other people who are also going through their version of growth. Monday is a particularly anticipatory day because it starts the school and work week for millions of people around the world. The process of rebirth and renewal is still the same. We go through continuous effort and struggle to reach each goal we set for ourselves and once accomplished, we start the process all over again to accomplish/complete other goals. When we fail to complete a task or a goal, we revert to our original steps and retrace them. All of these actions add to our body of knowledge, our experiences, and our confidence level. If something doesn’t work out, instead of abandoning hope, try a different approach, change directions and try something else or new and stay open to that form of growth.

“The key to growth is the introduction of higher dimensions of consciousness into our awareness.” Lao Tzu

Motivation Mondays: GROWTH - Blackbird stages of growth

Motivation Mondays: GROWTH – Blackbird stages of growth

Growth: Development of a nestling of five blackbirds by Romate.

People are like dirt. They can either nourish you and help you grow as a person or they can stunt your growth and make you wilt and die. Plato

What comes to mind when you look at the blackbirds in the collage above? If nothing else, I hope it reminds you that the cliche – growing pains – has validity for all of life. From the time the blackbirds peck through their egg shells and begin to grow, there are countless opportunities for failure and danger. Because they are unable to fly from the nest, they remain dependent on their mother to fly around and find warms and other food to feed them daily. The baby blackbirds must also fight for space in the nest and learn to cooperate with each other. If a predator finds the nest, they won’t be able to fight it off and so their situation will remain tenuous until they are strong and bold enough to take that first flight to freedom. Even after they learn to fly, other challenges await them because the natural progression of life and growth includes struggle, danger and failure.

What about human growth? The same explanation, as above, can be said of human growth. Growing pains are part of our life experiences and they happen to all of us. We must first learn to walk before we can run and fly the proverbial coop. If we miss a few steps along the way, we find that gaps will appear in our learning curve, and we must go back and repeat the process till we truly imbibe the lessons deep inside of our being. Of course, we don’t walk around every day thinking about the gaps, misses, and failures in our lives because they are part of our natural progression through life; they fit seamlessly into the daily travails of living in the world. When we fail at a task, instead of beating ourselves up, we should contemplate what lessons are being taught and how we can improve our lot. Some people don’t take leaps of faith because they are afraid to fail or think failure will make them less valuable in the eyes of XYZ. On the contrary, it takes great courage and strength of character to stay true to who we are and to face our successes and failures with the same degree of introspection and gratitude. Where are you in your growth?

The details for Motivation Mondays are below. Join in! The themes for April and May are:
04/06 – PERFECTION
04/13 – MISTAKES
04/20 – GROWTH
04/27 – MINDFULNESS

05/30 – APPRECIATION
05/13 – COMFORT
05/20 – FITNESS
05/27 – SERVICE

MORE BELOW!

“Without continual growth and progress, such words as improvement, achievement, and success have no meaning.” Benjamin Franklin

Motivation Mondays: GROWTH - Butterfly stages of growth

Motivation Mondays: GROWTH – Butterfly stages of growth

Ever since I was a child I have had this instinctive urge for expansion and growth. To me, the function and duty of a quality human being is the sincere and honest development of one’s potential. Bruce Lee

What areas of your life need more growth?  We all know people who are stuck in a rot. We know folks who seem to no longer grow because they have allowed fear, limited thinking and negativity to get in the way of their growth. Sitting on our laurels is the road to stagnation. We must always be testing the limits of our skills and strength, and find ways to broaden our minds and world view. If we keep doing the same thing day in and day out, we will soon become like a factory machine that produces the same stuff over and over again.

What are you doing about it? Push yourself a little. Fail at something. Try a new way of viewing your work and see how much more you will open the door to new experiences and growth. A life spent playing it safe is a limited life and growth doesn’t dwell there. Now go do something new and different today. It can be something small or even learning a new skill or trying your hand at a new approach to old tasks… nothing dangerous, just different.

For More: Women’s Lives & Issues

Positive Motivation Tip:  Every day is an opportunity to take a courageous step and grow… Let go of your stereotypes, recriminations, and limitations, and  just blossom.

Motivation Mondays is open to anyone who wishes to share a motivational quote, photo, personal challenge or a post that encourages others to start the week on an upbeat note.
Basic Instructions: Each week, I will have a motivation word to help us create a response. (See listed words for end of November and all of December below)
Email address: You may email or share your post as a comment and I will add it to the round-up of related posts. email it to: contact(@)mirthandmotivation(.)com
Category tag: – Share your post using Motivation Mondays
Twitter hashtag: – Use this on Twitter #MotvnM
Dedicated Page: There is a dedicated page for Motivation Mondays. It has the same instructions and will include other helpful tools and a link to the round-up
Facebook Page: MotivationOnMondays Join our page and add your post and/or any motivational piece you think will be helpful to others.
Facebook Community: We have a Facebook community forum to compliment the page. It serves as another way to share uplifting posts and thoughts. Please join in and add your voice.

Badge: – I created a fun badge using PicMonkey’s free photo editing tools. You can create your own, use WordPress’ integrated tool on your blog or you are welcome to use mine. (see dedicated page)
Tag: – Motivation Mondays
Hashtag: – #MotvnM

Related Posts

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos: 00 days old” by RomateOwn work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons.” target=”_blank”>Hatching blackbirds by Romate,  Butterfly, via Wikipedia

1. Jamie permalink
    20/04/2015 5:32 pm

I have really been more motivated to grow as a person the last few years! I guess as I get older I realize how important it is!

2. upliftingfam permalink
    20/04/2015 7:22 pm

I know that I personally try to continue to grow as a person. There are so many things to learn that you should never give up on learning new things or growing.

I love watching babies grow up and learn new things. 🙂

3. Jillian Fisher permalink
    20/04/2015 8:15 pm

I feel like I just had my son yesterday and he turns 3 next month. 😦 Love the pictures.

4. Timber permalink
    20/04/2015 8:24 pm

I may have to make Motivation Monday a routine.

5. Michelle hwee permalink
    20/04/2015 8:44 pm

What a great post about growth. I definitely agree that we can all grow, we have room for growth, we just have to push our boundaries a bit and go for it! 🙂

6. Beth@FrugalFroggie permalink
    20/04/2015 9:07 pm

Failure is a chance to learn. So I don’t have any regrets.

7. Lois Jones permalink
    20/04/2015 9:15 pm

You had some very good points on growth and as always, I love your photos! Just lovely!

8. Liz Mays permalink
    20/04/2015 9:39 pm

I’m definitely not good at pushing myself all the time. I do that in waves, but you’re right. When I push myself, I definitely grow.

9. M from The Stay-at-Home Life permalink
    20/04/2015 10:14 pm

It’s so important to continue growing throughout life.

10. 21/04/2015 12:08 am

Have I spotted your and babe?

11. Megan Elford permalink
    21/04/2015 3:08 am

I know I’ve seen how I’ve grown over the past year, but it hasn’t been intentional. I’d like to be able to make goals for my own personal growth and begin to work toward them in a purposeful way. Thank you for the nudge!

12. 21/04/2015 3:35 am

Failures and mishaps do seem part of the natural progression, and thank goodness. Could you imagine if the stuck out so much we dwelled on them? oy! You’re right though, if you don’t learn the lesson, there’s a gap that has to be filled. Best to learn it the first time so you can keep growing more, faster (easier said than done, I know). :)) Love those butterfly pics!

13. Denise permalink
    21/04/2015 6:09 am

Great motivation!

14. Rachée Fagg (@sayitrahshay) permalink
    21/04/2015 6:36 am

I have joined a weight loss program and realize that my decisions and choices are my own. It feel like growth; I struggle with some of my choices but it doesn’t feel like I am stuck, as it would have in the past.

15. Simple Mama (@simplemama2013) permalink
    21/04/2015 6:55 am

I am so fascinated by watching living beings go through the growth stages! You are completely right that we have to go have great strength and courage in order to get through the successes and failures in life.

16. Jessica Beal Harlow permalink
    21/04/2015 8:05 am

Growth can make us vulnerable for a bit, but there is always the end result of a wiser, stronger stability after each growth spurt!

17. rsrote permalink
    21/04/2015 8:07 am

beauitful photos and I love the thought about people being like dirt!

18. Christina Boyer permalink
    21/04/2015 8:07 am

I needed to read this today. I feel like I’ve been stuck. I need some motivation this morning! It’s been one of those weeks and it’s only Tuesday!

19. Holly @ Woman Tribune permalink
    21/04/2015 8:09 am

There is no growth without struggle, which is always a tough concept for me because struggle is tough, so it’s always wise to remember that when you’re struggling, you’re growing. You have no other choice.

20. cramos13 permalink
    21/04/2015 8:12 am

I love the quotes you shared…truly made my morning motivating :).

21. Rebel Sweetheart permalink
    21/04/2015 8:56 am

Love that Lao Tzu quote! 🙂

22. 3sonshavei permalink
    21/04/2015 9:31 am

Growth never stops. We all grow and then enter a new phase and grow some more. Thanks for the reminder when it’s time to change

23. JessicaACassidy (@wifetoalineman) permalink
    21/04/2015 11:15 am

I really like your pictures. You capture each shots beautifully.

24. 21/04/2015 11:24 am

What a great post! And a great idea. I definitely need motivation, like every day. I love the pictures in this post. It is amazing to see the animal kingdom grow.

25. Andrea @ Honestly Andrea permalink
    21/04/2015 12:55 pm

Growth is so important to be a healthy person. There are several areas of my life that I need to focus on and this post is a great reminder for me. Thanks for sharing!

26. vegetarianmamma permalink
    21/04/2015 4:11 pm

I love the pictures of the bird growth. Its amazing to see something so tiny develop into something so graceful! I love your themes!

27. Shabby Chic Boho (@terrishutterbug) permalink
    21/04/2015 4:36 pm

There are a few areas in my life that need growth and sometimes I feel like I just need a little push in the right direction. Growth is important to everything that lives and breathes. Thanks for your thoughts and the beautiful photos.

28. Debbie Denny permalink
    21/04/2015 6:01 pm

Very good post. Love the points you made

29. 21/04/2015 6:14 pm

I feel like i grow as a person everyday.. there are so many variables that take place that get us where we need to go.

30. 21/04/2015 7:01 pm

I learn so much from the quotes that you share. I think I need to take a few moments to just breathe it all in and remember what’s important in life- grow my spirit!

31. bri permalink
    21/04/2015 9:01 pm

I need to focus more on the process of growth instead of trying to jump to the end result of growth.

32. lisa permalink
    21/04/2015 9:12 pm

I believe that we learn and grow each and every day.

33. ceemee permalink
    22/04/2015 12:47 am

I believe that everyone needs to grow, even those who are well-advanced in age. For to stop growing is to stop living.

34. Fi Ní Neachtáin permalink
    22/04/2015 1:59 am

Seeing things grow in front of your own eyes is such an amazing thing. I did a Project365 last year where I took a picture of my son everyday for a year, it was amazing to see how much he grew in that time 🙂

35. theresa permalink
    22/04/2015 2:33 am

I actually want the people around me to grow. Last time I talked to friends who said bad words to me since I can’t fix my decision in joining them for a vacation. I got my scheduled tied up at work. I’m actually trying to explain but they brush me off. I gave no judgment to what they said but I was hurt. I tried explaining my situation to them but they won’t talk to me.

36. Lee permalink
    22/04/2015 5:21 am

Growth is important and sometimes it happens without us even being aware of it. We just realize one day, Wow, I have changed and for the better!

37. yolomoments12 permalink
    22/04/2015 8:09 am

Strength and growth come only through continuous effort and struggle.

— > This quote doe ! ❤

38. Dhemz permalink
    22/04/2015 9:10 am

oh, the evolution of living things…great motivation post!

39. Ourfamilyworld (@OurFamilyWorld) permalink
    22/04/2015 12:52 pm

This is so inspiring. I am always pushing myself harder in order to grow. I love your butterfly pictures: so relaxing

40. maggiesblog2 permalink
    22/04/2015 4:07 pm

I think that I am always evolving and changing as a person and that is an important part of personal growth.

41. Michelle Solee (@michisolee) permalink
    22/04/2015 6:25 pm

I agree that we need to push ourselves to strive for more and we need to do something in order to grow.

42. Yona Williams permalink
    22/04/2015 7:24 pm

Love seeing all of the photos – the colors in the ones with the butterflies and caterpillars are very striking.

43. April Smith Decheine permalink
    23/04/2015 8:59 am

I love this, I love looking at the way things grow. Especially the chickens, they are so cute watching grow up.

44. Qoftwignberry (@Qoftwignberry) permalink
    23/04/2015 3:04 pm

You included some gorgeous photos to demonstrate growth. I feel like we can have growth in any and all things.

Amanda

45. 23/04/2015 3:39 pm

At the present time I am in a stand still and regroup time of my life. I am slowly learning to deal with my new reality (partly retired). Eventually it will all come together for me.

46. 23/04/2015 7:05 pm

What a great post. I’m wanting for my blog to grow after being burnt out for two years. I’m finally back in the swing of things. I definitely needed to read your post. Thank you!

47. The Trophy WifeStyle permalink
    23/04/2015 8:12 pm

ahhhhh growth!!! Growth is so important in life! You have to learn from anything and everything to grow into a better person 🙂

48. 23/04/2015 10:55 pm

Strength and growth are two things that a person should want. For the areas in our lives that need growth, we need to not want to be stuck in the same place. Growth happens when we step out of our comfort zone and when we decide that we want to move from Point A to Point B. And, that’s when strength comes in. Once you have decided that you want growth, one must have the strength and the courage to make this growth happen.

49. franckxethee permalink
    24/04/2015 2:30 am

I think we grow better with each experience. The key is to be able to learn from each and live past it.

50. Crystal (The Imperfect Mom) permalink
    24/04/2015 5:37 am

Focusing on what is being taught is super important! We should focus on what’s learned not the failure itself!

51. Chubskulit Rose permalink
    24/04/2015 7:36 am

The worm is very beautiful but they give me the creeps every time I see one in my garden.

52. Chubskulit Rose permalink
    24/04/2015 10:44 am

It’s okay to make mistakes because it is our mistakes where we learn great lessons.

53. livingoffloveandcoffee permalink
    24/04/2015 10:54 am

What a beautiful explanation of growth. I’ve been growing lately so much in my business and it’s a beautiful process that takes work.

54. Ourfamilyworld (@OurFamilyWorld) permalink
    24/04/2015 12:08 pm

This is a great post about growth. The chicken are a good example to illustrate it

55. keiannarae permalink
    24/04/2015 12:35 pm

Beautiful photos. I shared them with my 3-year-old. He loved pointing at the butterfiles and chickens. Thank you!

56. nilyncartagena permalink
    24/04/2015 3:29 pm

Watching my baby grow is the most amazing that happened to me! When it comes to growth, I’d like to grow spiritually.

57. fred permalink
    24/04/2015 4:01 pm

We grow or else we are not alive! I admire your patience in capturing the growth of the birds in that nest. – Fred

58. Mommy Maye permalink
    24/04/2015 6:21 pm

I believe that we grow most when we experience struggles and difficulties in life. That’s my motivation whenever I am going through something. I just keep the faith and believe that everything will pass and after that I am a better me.

59. mayen permalink
    24/04/2015 8:28 pm

I like to continue growing as a person. I also try to find way to improve some of my skills. This is really inspiring.

60. Mia Foo permalink
    24/04/2015 9:25 pm

i believe that growth = learning and thus is a lifelong process, we shouldn’t stop seeking growth until the day we cease to exist.

61. lovemindanao permalink
    24/04/2015 10:52 pm

growth is a characteristic of life and all life forms experience this. It’s just sometimes it is being confined in the physical context and the psychological growth in human is stunted due to some environmental factors. true that in mistakes we learn and this learning is a part of the growing process.

62. Anne V permalink
    25/04/2015 12:19 am

Growth, what a wonderful subject to ponder upon on a Monday. I see it everyday, being a mom of 3. I wished my kids would stop growing so fast, I can’t keep up anymore haha. But it’s a beautiful thing to witness on a daily basis especially in kids.

63. Peachy A. permalink
    25/04/2015 5:03 am

For me, in order to grow, you need to change for the better.

64. hannizenvato permalink
    25/04/2015 6:49 am

Growth, learning and pushing your limits is so important. It’s a whole new world when you open your eyes to new things

65. Pooja Kawatra Gupta permalink
    25/04/2015 7:59 am

This is probably the best way to see the things even if you fail treat it as a stepping stone to grow and motivate yourself to do best !! Growth stage of butterfly/blackbird shows how important and beautiful each stage is in our life.

66. MapleMouseMama permalink
    25/04/2015 8:19 am

One thing I find is that by writing I have found personal growth, and new found strength. It is wonderful to reflect on the changes that can come about when you let yourself grow.

67. Raquel permalink
    25/04/2015 9:05 am

Love your motivation for this week. The events of my past have taught me to be a better person.

68. Dawn McAlexander Crawford permalink
    25/04/2015 9:39 am

These pictures are precious! How neat to see how the birds grew.

69. Tiffany Yong permalink
    25/04/2015 10:16 am

I like your quote from Plato, it has similar meaning as “What doesn’t kill you make you stronger”…. which reminds me, always to grow and not decline. No matter how slow… that’s growth…

70. Nicol Wong (@yuk_lui) permalink
    25/04/2015 2:31 pm

growth is always beautiful to see. i was looking at some old family photos and saw how year by year, things have grown and blossomed

71. Papaleng Pagulong permalink
    25/04/2015 11:05 pm

Looking at the collage reminded me that life is a cycle — that one has to go to joy and pains to really appreciate it.

72. sriches permalink
    26/04/2015 3:58 am

What a fantastic post and lovely relevant images. We have several similar images of baby blackbirds hatching – a wonderful thing to see and be part of!

73. Raymond Vasquez permalink
    26/04/2015 4:54 am

Very true. I am venturing for another growth personally. I will be writing a book. I’ve found a great mentor. This was no accident you wrote this, and I was able to read this. It means that the universe is conspiring for me to be pushed and do it! I’ve just talked to my mentor last night, and he was pushing I finish one topic. Now I’m more than moved to do it. Great inspiring quotes and lines you have here as always El. 🙂

74. sikat101 permalink
    26/04/2015 7:52 pm

I think personal growth is when you improve yourself for the better. It is not about being perfect but it is in knowing out limitations but still continuing to push to get better. -katrina centeno

75. Pal Raine permalink
    26/04/2015 11:01 pm

Both photos are interesting to me. The cycle of life..to grow, to experience pain and become independent, and to successfully get out from the shell and be somebody.

76. Nathan permalink
    26/04/2015 11:27 pm

The growth comes from within 🙂 Such amazing post!

77. MariaWent2Town permalink
    27/04/2015 12:00 am

Growth is not limited to physical growth. I agree that everyone experiences the growing pains 🙂

78. Mommy Anna permalink
    27/04/2015 2:30 am

I love your post 🙂 we need all to grow to know the exact meaning of life and learn in our mistakes

79. franckxethee permalink
    27/04/2015 5:14 am

There are also so many aspect we can measure growth from physical, intellectual, emotional, etc. We get to be better when we grow as a whole and not just on one aspect.

80. sikat101 permalink
    27/04/2015 5:41 am

I have read this post before but it is only now that I really looked at the photos. Those are beautiful butterflies. -katrina centeno

81. amiehu permalink
    27/04/2015 6:44 am

I think growth comes when we keep an open mind to learning and experiencing new things, always have a positive mindset when it comes to bad experiences too. Learning is a neverending process even after we graduate from school, that’s how we all grow.

82. Summer permalink
    27/04/2015 3:07 pm

Yes. We change to grow. We must grow. I hope though that while other grow they would still realize and remember the simple things that made them happy and things that really matters.

83. Allan permalink
    27/04/2015 9:58 pm

I believe that everyone needs to be out of their comfort zone in order to grow.

84. Dominique Goh permalink
    27/04/2015 10:54 pm

Motivation is something that is constantly needed. Growth occurs always. We just have to embrace the changes we go through.

85. Raquel permalink
    28/04/2015 5:12 am

As with change, growth should also be constant in our lives. To do so, I always read, try to explore new things, and keep an open mind to different topics.

86. Aby permalink
    28/04/2015 6:29 am

Everyone should have save a space to grow as a person physically, spiritually and mentally.

87. Analyn permalink
    28/04/2015 10:46 pm

Thank you for this. I actually need more motivation right now as I face a new journey in my life.

88. Crazed parent permalink
    29/04/2015 5:23 am

Physical growth is just one mark but what i think is that most importantly the growth of a human as in person matters most , his contribution towards society matter most apart from spiritual growth which is for self.

89. Melgie permalink
    29/04/2015 12:36 pm

We made mistakes, we learn and grow. It help us to be better person, smarter and stronger. Thanks for the motivation.:)

90. leybainpublic permalink
    30/04/2015 6:11 pm

Great inspirational blog post once more. Growth for me is not about the age, but how wise we get. 🙂

91. Peachy permalink
    01/05/2015 4:06 pm

Growth is not just experienced physically. For me, Growth is also experienced mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.

92. Peachy A. permalink
    01/05/2015 4:06 pm

1. Motivation Mondays: MINDFULNESS | Mirth and Motivation
  2. Motivation Mondays: APPRECIATION | Mirth and Motivation
  3. Motivation Mondays: HAPPINESS | Mirth and Motivation
  4. Motivation Mondays: What’s A Wellness, Fitness & Healthy LifeStyle? | Mirth and Motivation
  5. Motivation Mondays: Honoring SERVICE | Mirth and Motivation
  18. Motivation Mondays: PURPOSE | Mirth and Motivation
  19. Motivation Mondays: FAILURE | Mirth and Motivation
  20. Motivation Mondays: HOPE | Mirth and Motivation
  21. Motivation Mondays: Labor & Literacy | Mirth and Motivation
  22. Motivation Mondays: Positive Thinking | Mirth and Motivation
  23. Motivation Mondays: Partnerships For Peace | Mirth and Motivation
  24. Motivation Mondays: Good Neighbors & Goodwill #GoodNeighborDay | Mirth and Motivation
  25. Motivation Mondays: SMILE #mondaymotivation | Mirth and Motivation
  26. Motivation Mondays: HOLIDAY SPIRIT #mondaymotivation | Mirth and Motivation
  27. Motivation Mondays: International Women’s Day #IWD2016 | Mirth and Motivation
  28. Motivation Mondays: EARTH DAY | Mirth and Motivation
  29. Motivation Mondays: Matters Of The Heart | Mirth and Motivation
  30. Motivation Mondays: RELAXATION | Mirth and Motivation
  31. Motivation Mondays: PREPARED | Mirth and Motivation
  32. Motivation Mondays: PREPARED | Mirth and Motivation
  33. Motivation Mondays: AWE | Mirth and Motivation
  34. Motivation Mondays: Happy Valentine’s Day | Mirth and Motivation
  35. Motivation Mondays: Honoring Presidents’ Day | Mirth and Motivation
  36. Motivation Mondays: Reflections On Easter & Passover | Mirth and Motivation
  37. Motivation Mondays: Earth Day for Environmental & Climate Literacy | Mirth and Motivation
  38. Motivation Mondays: BREATHE | Mirth and Motivation