Photo Challenge: ORDER

07/06/2017

“Happiness is not a matter of intensity but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.” Thomas Merton

Photo Challenge: ORDER

Photo Challenge: ORDER

Photo Challenge: ORDER - Prepped Veggies all in a row

Photo Challenge: ORDER – Prepped Veggies all in a row

There is order all around us; even in the littlest of things, the lines on a leaf, the striations in wood, the casual way we set our table or the prep work we do in the kitchen as we get ready to prepare a dish. All of life has a certain symmetry or order that pleases the eyes and stops us from imagining we have gone mad. Even in those moments where chaos reigns, we see signs of order and it pulls our eyes in. For this week’s exercise on ORDER, I was drawn to the vegetables I had on my kitchen counter. Like many cooks, prep work is fundamental to the process and I love to lay my ingredients out in an orderly manner so I can reach for them as needed. In this case, I was getting ready to make a vegetable soup and, as I washed and cleaned my ingredients, I was struck by the way they lay beautifully in the bowl and later on the tray. So, I grabbed my camera and took some shots. Later when I saw the challenge was on ORDER, I took some more photos… That’s life right?

“Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today, to get through this thing called life…” Prince

Remembering Prince ; a brilliant, extraordinary, musical genius

Remembering Prince ; a brilliant, extraordinary, musical genius

On an important and wistful note, today would have been Prince Rogers Nelson‘s 59th birthday. He left us too soon. May his music live as a legacy to his brilliance and extraordinary genius… I miss him. Recently, I read a few books written by those who knew him up close. I also read some articles that took my breath away. I would recommend the following.

READ: The Most Beautiful: My Life with Prince by Mayte Garcia
The Day It Snowed In April: A Memoir by Devin Devasquez
Exclusive: Never-Before-Seen Pictures of Prince, on His Birthday
More below!

“In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order.” Carl Jung

Photo Challenge: ORDER - Prepped Veggies all in a row

Photo Challenge: ORDER – Prepped Veggies all in a row

Photo Challenge: ORDER

Photo Challenge: ORDER

In all of life, there is an order that we sometimes take for granted. It only becomes apparent to us when chaos reigns or when some form of dissonance assaults our senses. When we take time to appreciate the beauty and symmetry of all around us, we can begin to understand that there is a dynamic and keen intelligence humming everywhere. As for the somewhat prepped vegetables that caught my eye in my kitchen today, I’ll introduce them to you. From the bottom up we have romaine lettuce, baby sum choy, radish, scallions, San Marzano tomatoes, Swiss chard, baby portobello mushrooms, and Napa/Chinese cabbage. The rows of Lemon Cake were shot at my local Sam’s Club. They are divine… I didn’t buy one this time.  Perhaps you have a veggie recipe or two to share?

This post was inspired by a prompt from WP Daily Post: ORDER – Rows, stacks, columns: this week, share an image that sends chaos packing (neatly). This week, share your take on order, whether literal, figurative, or anything in between (and sure — showing it next to a healthy dose of messiness is fine, too). From library stacks to sock drawers and from ancient temples to modern train stations, let your inner disciplinarian take over. I look forward to seeing your photos!

Positive Motivation Tip:  Appreciate the order around you…

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos from my personal collection

1. Shannon Graham permalink
    07/06/2017 5:08 pm

I had to giggle at some of the store photos of things in bulk put in order. I used to love looking at all the things stacked in a row when I was younger.

2. Andrea permalink
    07/06/2017 5:14 pm

all the veggies look great, the radishes look amazing and the cake YUM. the way everything is organize is pretty neat.

• 08/06/2017 12:38 am

I love to see things neatly stacked in a row and that is why I enjoy walking the aisles of huge supermarkets… It’s fascinating. 🙂

3. Tiffany Meiter permalink
    07/06/2017 5:40 pm

That’s so cool. You never really think about things like that in the day to day motions.

4. Claudia Krusch permalink
    07/06/2017 6:10 pm

These photos are so pleasing to my eyes. This is a photo challenge I know I will have fun doing.

5. Sondra Barker permalink
    07/06/2017 6:45 pm

Order is always important to keep a happy and healthy life. I love how you compared it to veggies!

6. Jenny Temcio permalink
    07/06/2017 7:32 pm

My youngest son and I take “order” literally in our lives. We have a strong need to have things be even and symmetrical whether it is changing the order of the eggs in the carton as they are used, or rearranging decor.

7. 조이 Czjai (@RebelSweetHrt) permalink
    08/06/2017 1:05 am

Those veggies look so fresh and yummy, I’m actually thinking of dishes to cook with them as I write. The cakes on the side look very tempting, too. 🙂

• 08/06/2017 1:12 am

Yes, they are fresh and colorful too. The Lemon cake was at my local Sam’s Club. I took the photo but didn’t buy one… too tempting. 🙂

8. Carol Cassara permalink
    08/06/2017 1:14 am

I like the photos! They’re perfect for the challenge. Order is present despite it being overshadowed by chaos. We see order in how people stand together as well.

9. Divyanka permalink
    08/06/2017 1:29 am

Order is like the rule of nature. It’s very astonishing to see that everything in nature follows some order and each order has its own importance and reason.

1. Weekly Photo Challenge: Order | Ruined for Life: Phoenix Edition
  2. Weekly Photo Challenge: Order | No Fixed Plans
  3. Weekly Photo Challenge: Order | Jinan Daily Photo: The Sequel
  4. Order in shopping | What's (in) the picture?
  5. Weekly Photo Challenge: Transient | No Fixed Plans