International Women’s Day: Join #Kiva.org/Dreams & #WomensLives

08/03/2015

“The story of women’s struggle for equality belongs to no single feminist nor to any one organization but to the collective efforts of all who care about human rights” Gloria Steinem

International Women’s Day: Join #Kiva.org/Dreams & #WomensLives

International Women’s Day: Join #Kiva.org/Dreams & #WomensLives

Today, March 8, millions of people worldwide will celebrate the 104th International Women’s Day.  The theme for this year is #MakeItHappen and many groups are showing their support with the hashtag #PaintItPurple. The 2015 UN Theme is Empowering Women – Empowering Humanity:Picture It!  One key UN goal, for International Women’s Day in 2015, will be to highlight the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action,  which 189 nations signed in 1995. Twenty years ago, nations gathered to support the development and empowerment of women. How far have we come and how far do we have to go?  While many gains have been made, the dream of women’s equality is still far from reality. The truth is that in 2015 inequality is still all around us. Opportunity is not equal. Education is not equal. Wealth is not equal.

But dreams followed by action is important … all dreams are created equal. And that’s where #Kiva.org/Dreams and the #WomensLives project start.

International Women’s Day: Join #Kiva.org/Dreams & #WomensLives

International Women’s Day: Join #Kiva.org/Dreams & #WomensLives

In honor of International Women’s Day – and the days that follow – Kiva has launched Kiva.org/Dreams to spotlight the power of women to create sustainable change when everyday people, like you and me, lend their support.  By visiting their website via the links above, you can back a dream by choosing a woman Kiva should lend $25 to. There is no cost to you. By choosing her, you help her to follow her dream of starting or growing her business, sending her children to school, and gaining financial independence.

Kiva.org is the world’s first and largest crowd-funding platform for social good with a mission to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty. Since 2005, more than 1.6 million people turned their dreams into reality because 1.3 million people backed their dream on Kiva. Together, more than $675 million in loans have been crowd-funded, with a 98% repayment rate.

“To be truly transformative, the post-2015 development agenda must prioritize gender equality and women’s empowerment. The world will never realize 100 per cent of its goals if 50 per cent of its people cannot realize their full potential. ” UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon

International Women’s Day: Join #Kiva.org/Dreams & #WomensLives

International Women’s Day: Join #Kiva.org/Dreams & #WomensLives

In February 2015, a media partnership between Public Radio International (PRI) and SheKnows Media, BlogHer’s parent company, led to the development of the #womenslives initiative. The goal is to bring media attention and individual effort to sharing stories about issues that impact women’s lives; these include women’s rights, health, education, wealth, our role in combating climate change and our economic development. By culling stories from a variety of sources and discussing them, we can begin to open more channels of communication between the sexes and among ourselves.

So far, we have shared and read many stories on a number of these issues and we will continue to do so into the future. We can make an impact by raising our voices and supporting causes that matter. This is where organizations like Kiva comes into play. By contributing to the success of an entrepreneurial woman who has overcome obstacles most of us cannot even truly imagine, we discover so much more about our own resiliency, possibility, and potential. Each of us has a part to play and together we can make dreams a reality for thousands of women around the world.

“If you look at Kiva.org, people with a very modest amount of money can make a huge positive impact all around the world.” Bill Clinton, Former USA President

International Women’s Day: Join #Kiva.org/Dreams & #WomensLives

International Women’s Day: Join #Kiva.org/Dreams & #WomensLives

UPDATE: Timeline of International Women’s Day (IWD)
28 February 1909 – First observed in the USA as National Women’s Day in Chicago
August 1910 – Attendees at the International Women’s Conference in Denmark propose the idea
18 March, 1911 – IWD was celebrated by over a million people in Europe; right to vote, hold public office and end gender discrimination at work were key issues.
February 1913 – Russian women observed their first International Women’s Day. In 1917, it became official in the region.
March 1914 – International Women’s Day was celebrated for the first time on Sunday, March 8, and this date has continued as the preferred/official day since.
October 1, 1949 – In the People’s Republic of China, the state council decided that March 8 would be made an official half day off holiday for women in China
1977 – International Women’s Day (marked by the UN since 1975), became a popular event when the United Nations General Assembly invited member states to proclaim March 8 as the official UN Day for women’s rights and world peace.
March 8 2010 – International Women’s Day – the ICRC (Red Cross) drew attention to the hardship displaced women endure (refugees and others at war) and has continued its call to end armed conflict.
March 8 2011 – International Women’s Day – Celebrations took place in more than 100 countries in commemoration of the 100th anniversary of International Women’s Day
March 8 1996 -2015 –  Every year, the UN adopts a special theme to focus attention on for International Women’s Day. The 2015 theme is Empowering Women – Empowering Humanity:Picture It
Sources: UN Women Watch, International Women’s Day.com, Wikipedia

Women’s empowerment means economic growth for their families, communities and the world. Without access to resources to attend school or grow a business, their dreams are far too often out of reach. This affects us all.  A case in point: if women farmers had equal access to farming assets and finance, they could increase their crop yields up to 30% and 150 million people who go hungry every day would be able to eat.  So, in honor of International Women’s Day and the power of women to create lasting change, back a dream at Kiva.org/Dreams and participate in the #WomensLives initiative.

What are your thoughts? Did you celebrate International Women’s Day?  Do share! Happy International Women’s Day !  Thank you.

For More: Women’s Lives & Issues

Positive Motivation Tip: Women become catalysts for change when we empower others to step out of their shells and embrace their strengths. We can’t do it alone, we need the support of other women and supportive men. What are you doing to empower others?   Take a stand. Empower yourself and others.

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos & Posters via Kiva.org/Dreams and  InternationalWomensDay.com

1. lifebycynthia permalink
    08/03/2015 4:01 pm

Thank you sharing such a wealth of information about International Women’s Day. I am all for women’s empowerment.

2. Brooke permalink
    08/03/2015 4:12 pm

Thank you for encouraging women to support one another, whether through organizations like Kiva or through supporting achievements. In order for gender equality to succeed, we have to look out and support each other for what we want and have accomplished.

3. LifebyCynthia (@LifebyCynthia) permalink
    08/03/2015 4:39 pm

Thank you for sharing such a wealth of information about International Women’s Day. I love the support and empowerment of women.

4. Debbie Denny permalink
    08/03/2015 5:00 pm

It is great to spotlight women. Time to stand up!

5. thedomesticbuzz permalink
    08/03/2015 8:06 pm

Kiva.org is such a great way to make a BIG impact with just a little money. I’ve used it in the past. Thanks for bringing awareness to it!

• 08/03/2015 9:35 pm

Thank you and I agree with you on this point. I’ve given in the past and it’s so satisfying to see and hear how much the funds helped the recipient. One of the best parts is that the money is paid back and you can reinvest it into another recipient’s business plan.

6. 08/03/2015 11:44 pm

Eliz, thank you for empowering women.

7. sriches permalink
    09/03/2015 10:12 am

What a great, inspiring post! Definitely very empowering and I wasn’t aware of Kiva.org beforehand – off to find out more! Sim x

8. lee ros permalink
    09/03/2015 10:44 am

thanks for sharing. international womens day reminds everyone about hender equality. womens needs to be respected and be given equal treatment in all aspects of life thru job, politics, etc.

9. ilovepaars permalink
    09/03/2015 10:46 am

thanks for sharing and for empowering women. this reminds everyone about gender equality

10. Kalliopi Sakellariou permalink
    09/03/2015 4:37 pm

Happy International Woman’s day!!I learned so many things I did not know about!!!

11. Mhar permalink
    09/03/2015 8:12 pm

Women, like men, are strong too. We are capable of doing something good for the community, for others, and the world.

Mhar Sefcik

12. 09/03/2015 9:53 pm

I can only hope that one day all women around the world will be treated fairly and with respect

13. Nanda Reis permalink
    09/03/2015 11:16 pm

There is so much history behind this amazing day that I didn’t know about it until your post Eliz! Thanks for sharing with us and providing so many details =)

14. 10/03/2015 1:21 am

This is the first time that I’ve heard of Kiva.Org, but I am visiting their site after this. I am all for girl power and women empowerment – not because I’m female, but because I believe in the untapped potentials of thousands and millions of women. We’re very passionate and driven beings .. these are very important in making a difference.

15. May De Jesus-Palacpac permalink
    10/03/2015 3:58 am

Oh I know Kiva! Our company supports the organisation’s vision. 🙂 Isn’t it amazing to know that many women are being given the opportunity to support and provide for their families doing the things they know best?

• 12/03/2015 11:58 pm

It’s fantastic. i love reading the mini bios and helping them. It’s such a wonderful feeling when they pay it back too.

Liked by 1 person

• May De Jesus-Palacpac permalink
        13/03/2015 12:59 am

I agree. You know that they’re doing well somehow with their businesses to be able to pay. I like to think of it as allowing them dignity. 🙂

• 13/03/2015 2:24 am

True and they treat it with great respect and gratitude. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

10/03/2015 7:05 am

There will be no mankind without women to perpetuate the species. You owe our very existence as a human race to women who bear our children. – Fred

17. tim juls permalink
    10/03/2015 8:19 am

This is such a powerful message, thanks for sharing this and it really encourages women to make their dreams not just in their heads but a reality! 🙂

18. Loudthinkin permalink
    10/03/2015 9:34 am

Kiva has started a very good initiative on international woman’s day. Need more such initiatives to help bring about a positive change.

19. Ben Butler permalink
    10/03/2015 3:09 pm

I think that’s so cool! There are so many women around the world who don’t have basic rights that all people should have. It doesn’t get the attention it should.

20. Lisa Bristol permalink
    10/03/2015 3:27 pm

This is such a great post. I have been seeing a lot about International Women’s Day on Facebook today. It is such an important day to Celebrate.

21. Autumn Blues permalink
    10/03/2015 4:49 pm

I have to be honest and admit that I never heard of this day before this past weekend. Always nice to bring issues to light though. Thank you for sharing.

22. Liz Mays permalink
    10/03/2015 5:30 pm

That Kiva program is really intriguing. It sounds like a great way to support others all over the world.

23. Masshole Mommy permalink
    10/03/2015 5:41 pm

I am all for girl power! I had no idea there was such a day as this, but I love seeing women support other women.

24. Heather permalink
    10/03/2015 5:42 pm

We sure have come along way over the decades and centuries, I agree it doesn’t belong to any particular person, it belongs to us all as a whole, and we still have a long way to go for equality.

25. Chubskulit Rose permalink
    10/03/2015 5:47 pm

That’s very nice that there is an International Women’s day. Glad there are organization like Kiva.org that supports this.

26. Beth Williams permalink
    10/03/2015 6:37 pm

I didn’t even know it was International Women’s Day. Whoops! Thanks for letting me know 🙂

27. Ruby Caberte permalink
    10/03/2015 7:34 pm

Thank you for sharing this wonderful information about International Women’s Day. I am also an advocate of empowering women. Kiva.org really helps a lot of people especially women entrepreneurs.

28. lisa permalink
    10/03/2015 7:40 pm

I’m a fan of Kiva. They truly do good for women.

29. christy permalink
    10/03/2015 8:04 pm

I had no clue that it was women’s day on March 8th. I know women have come a long way since the turn of the century. This is a great program and a wonderful way to support other women.

30. JamericanSpice permalink
    10/03/2015 8:49 pm

I was so busy that I didn’t get to participate in this celebration, but it’s something worthy to be part of.

Thanks for sharing this wealth of information!

31. 10/03/2015 9:22 pm

When I look at all the strong women around the world I can’t help but be inspired. Thank you for sharing this.

32. roselynn permalink
    10/03/2015 9:48 pm

I knew about Women’s Day but I didn’t know even half of this information so it was very informative. I told several people about Women’s Day and none of them even knew about it. It’s definitely something that needs to be more spread out for awareness.

33. Erinn permalink
    10/03/2015 9:51 pm

what a great campaign. Empowering women means the same thing in all cultures. It takes group effort to help empower where it’s needed most

34. Christina Aliperti permalink
    10/03/2015 9:52 pm

Kiva is a great organization. With a small amount of money you can help a woman to build her business and make her dreams come true.

35. Aisha Kristine Chong permalink
    10/03/2015 11:28 pm

thanks for letting us know about the information on the Intl Women’s Day.. its always good to know and be aware of them.

36. yvonnembertoldo permalink
    11/03/2015 1:03 am

We also celebrated International Women’s Day here in our country and I learned from the news that a group of men even show their support for women by walking for a long distance while wearing heels. :p

37. 11/03/2015 2:18 am

This year, the international women’s day is a bit more different, when Emma Watson did her #HeForShe speech, and having a celebrity with so much influence to make the speech created a lot of buzz and this is what I hope to achieve some day too!

38. franc permalink
    11/03/2015 2:26 am

I think women are more valued in the community now. Women’s day should remind us of empowering women in the society.

39. Kylie permalink
    11/03/2015 3:09 am

Men are great, women are equally great, too!~ It’s truly good to celebrate international women day!~

40. Lauren permalink
    11/03/2015 4:26 am

I love this so much! Women are amazing and I am so blessed to have amazing women in my life! Happy International Women’s Day!

41. Vanessa permalink
    11/03/2015 4:46 am

I love the 2015 UN Theme- Empowering Women, such a noble initiative, I would like to support kiva.org and help them make a difference. We should unite in global causes to make the world a better place.

42. listen2mama permalink
    11/03/2015 4:55 am

Great post on International Women’s Day. I honestly never knew all of these facts, thanks for sharing.

43. Rebel Sweetheart permalink
    11/03/2015 6:00 am

Happy International Women’s Day! Cheers to us! 🙂

44. swell conditions permalink
    11/03/2015 6:14 am

Wonderful post on Women’s Day and I’ll have to check out those project websites!

45. 11/03/2015 6:48 am

I’ve been on Kiva’s site before, and what they are doing is really cool. I love seeing the different projects that have been funded, and the progress of an artisan or whoever is being helped. I did not know they were the first to start crowdfunding…

46. Fatemah permalink
    11/03/2015 7:06 am

It is always nice to see that people are still organizing women empowerment activities especially by kiva.org. =)

47. 11/03/2015 7:29 am

It’s wonderful to know that Kiva is helping women around the world!

48. 11/03/2015 8:01 am

Great blog post, thanks for sharing such valuable information. We celebrated with a moms event this year, it was a huge success!

49. justamom8225 permalink
    11/03/2015 9:18 am

I completely forgot when the day was! I think everyday should honor women in some way or another. For that matter, any human being who makes a difference.

50. Kendall Rayburn permalink
    11/03/2015 12:42 pm

Such a wonderful post with so much good information! Thank you for sharing this with us all!

51. bonniegowen permalink
    11/03/2015 2:37 pm

Thank you so much for sharing all of this information and videos as well. It’s great that they have a International Women’s Day.

52. 11/03/2015 4:17 pm

What a wonderful way to share appreciation for women! Thank you so much for sharing this and for contributing to such a great cause!

53. 11/03/2015 4:55 pm

I love the theme for this year’s IWD, women empowerment is truly a key for the future. Take our mothers, educating our mothers would mean educating the family as well. I believe women empowerment will lead to a sustainable progressive development everywhere.

54. Virginia permalink
    11/03/2015 5:42 pm

Awesome information! Loved learning about Kiva!

55. Dhemz permalink
    11/03/2015 6:31 pm

What a great opportunity to celebrate women. I admire all the women of my life.

56. cramos13 permalink
    11/03/2015 8:49 pm

Thank you for sharing this. This is an awesome way to honor these women.

57. Jason Panuelos permalink
    11/03/2015 8:58 pm

I think everyday should be Women’s Day! A lot of people don’t understand the importance of women in our society. 😀

58. Papaleng Pagulong permalink
    11/03/2015 9:27 pm

A worthy program for women to get involved. Help each other out to fulfill one dream is a great cause that must find realization.

59. martha preston permalink
    11/03/2015 10:40 pm

I am glad you are properly celebrating woman of all colors and ages

60. 11/03/2015 11:18 pm

I’m happy to see the info. here. There are so many women too, that I can think of who are inspiring. I’m glad there is a day to celebrate.

61. Myrabev permalink
    11/03/2015 11:22 pm

Team women empowerment all the way, thanks for sharing this information and reminding it the quote by gloria.

62. 12/03/2015 3:45 am

Thanks for sharing this information. A great way to help empower our women.

63. Alyssa C permalink
    12/03/2015 6:34 am

Thank you for sharing such great information!

64. HilLesha permalink
    13/03/2015 12:30 am

This is a wonderful and inspiring post. Thank you for sharing!

65. 13/03/2015 3:27 pm

Wow so much great information! Thanks so much for sharing – I always love learning more about women and our rich history.

66. Carin Kilby Clark permalink
    13/03/2015 3:28 pm

67. 15/03/2015 4:21 pm

I’ve donated to someone on Kiva before! It was such an awesome feeling to support others.

68. Crystal permalink
    16/03/2015 4:45 am

Women rock!

69. Jhoveleen (@jhovdavid) permalink
    17/03/2015 9:15 am

Let’s support women’s organization. It is sad to know that in some countries, women still don’t receive equal rights.

Liked by 1 person

Kindly leave a meaningful comment. "Thanks for sharing" is NOT meaningful. Thank You!