Motivation Mondays: Self-Care

13/05/2019
Spread the love
  • 673

“Women in particular need to keep an eye on their physical and mental health, because if we’re scurrying to and from appointments and errands, we don’t have a lot of time to take care of ourselves. We need to do a better job of putting ourselves higher on our own ‘to do’ list.” Michelle Obama

Motivation Mondays: Self-Care #MentalHealthAwareness

Motivation Mondays: Self-Care #MentalHealthAwareness

There isn’t anybody out there who doesn’t have a mental health issue, whether it’s depression, anxiety, or how to cope with relationships. Having OCD is not an embarrassment anymore – for me. Just know that there is help and your life could be better if you go out and seek the help. Howie Mandel

This is mental health awareness month, and self-care is an important facet of maintaining our health on all levels. It begins with our thoughts, our actions, and our emotional state. If we take time to nurture our bodies and our minds, we will be giving ourselves a much needed boost.
Mental health is a powerful driver of our development, sense of security and well-being. When we feel unsure or unstable, the impact flows into all areas of our lives. It affects our relationships with our friends and family, it affects our interactions with our children, and it impinges on our workplace as well as on our sense of self.
The challenge many face, has to do with the stigma and shame that still come with publicly owning our mental health story/struggle. In many parts of the world, it remains a taboo subject. This is why we must keep speaking up and out.
If we value our mind, body and spirit, we must continue to speak up and remind each other to begin with self-care.

“Self-esteem is as important to our well-being as legs are to a table. It is essential for physical and mental health and for happiness.” Louise Hart

Motivation Mondays: Self-Care #MentalHealthAwareness

Motivation Mondays: Self-Care #MentalHealthAwareness

Self-care is a conscious decision we must take to make our lives easier and whole. It is grounded in our self-esteem or our perception of same. Our self-esteem is inextricably tied to our mental health, and when we are unable to care for ourselves, we see the impact; it flows into everything and disrupts our efforts at self-care. Don’t give up. Fight it.
When we set aside ME Time for rest, exercise, check ups and self nurturing activities, we are performing actions that can help extend our lives and support our mental and personal health care needs.
However, we must take action. We must be both proactive and protective about our mental health concerns, issues and needs. The more we treat ourselves with care and consideration, the more likely we will be able to create balance and feelings of wellness in our lives. The more we focus on actions and thoughts that nourish our self-esteem, the greater the positive impact will be on our lives.

The details for Motivation Mondays are below. Join in! The themes for MAR – APR 2019 are:

APR

04/01   –  01 April Fool’s Day, 02 Autism Awareness, Equal Pay Day
04/07  –   07 World Health Day, 10 National Siblings Day
04/14 –   14 Palm Sunday, 15 Tax Day, 18 Holy Thursday, 19 Good Friday
04/21   –  21 Easter Sunday/ Start of Passover22 Earth Day, 23 World Book Day
04/28 –    29 Remembrance Day, 30 Jazz Day

MAY

05/01   –  01 MAY Day, Holocaust Remembrance, National Mental Health Awareness month
05/05  –   05 Cinco de Mayo, 06, Ramadan starts, 07 National Teacher Day
05/12 –   12 Mother’s Day, 18 Armed Forces Day
05/19   –  19 Mental Health Awareness month
05/26 –    27 Memorial Day, 30 World MS Day

Are You Looking for Ways to Stay Creative in 2019?

More Below

“The problem with the stigma around mental health is really about the stories that we tell ourselves as a society. What is normal? That’s just a story that we tell ourselves.” Matthew Quick

Motivation Mondays: Self-Care #MentalHealthAwareness

Motivation Mondays: Self-Care #MentalHealthAwareness

Mental health is an area where people are embarrassed. They don’t want to talk about it because somehow they feel they’re a failure as a parent or, you know, they’re embarrassed for their child or they want to protect their child, lots of very good reasons, but mental health, I feel, is something that you have to talk about. Anna Wintour

When we talk about self-care, we must remember to talk about mental health as a critical component of self-care. It is not enough to go to a spa and enjoy the R&R they offer, we must also ensure that all areas of our lives are in check. We must do the same for our loved ones. By becoming an advocate for our own well-being, we will become emboldened to advocate for our children and others in need of mental health care.
If I’m stressed out, anxious about issues in my life, and struggling with unresolved matters, seeking professional guidance should be an important part of the healing process. If I seek the appropriate guidance to help me deal with my stress, I will stand a much better chance of gaining control over my life.
It is NOT a sign of weakness to ask for help. Those who do seek help are able to learn long term coping strategies and then go on to live productive lives. So, during this season of change and mental health awareness be vigilant about your needs and get all the help you can. Self-care is your birth right and it can save your life.

Any Zen Antics stories via

Positive Motivation Tip:  Self-Care begins with us. Become an advocate for your own well-being.

Motivation Mondays is open to anyone who wishes to share a motivational quote, photo, personal challenge or a post that encourages others to start the week on an upbeat note.
Basic Instructions: Each week, I will have a motivation word to help us create a response. (See listed words for the months above/below)
Email address: You may email or share your post as a comment and I will add it to the round-up of related posts. email it to: contact(@)mirthandmotivation(.)com
Category tag: – Share your post using Motivation Mondays
Twitter hashtag: – Use this on Twitter #MotvnM
Dedicated Page: There is a dedicated page for Motivation Mondays. It has the same instructions and will include other helpful tools and a link to the round-up
Facebook Page: MotivationOnMondays Join our page and add your post and/or any motivational piece you think will be helpful to others.
Facebook Community: We have a Facebook community forum to compliment the page. It serves as another way to share uplifting posts and thoughts. Please join in and add your voice.

Badge: – I created a fun badge using PicMonkey’s free photo editing tools. You can create your own, use WordPress’ integrated tool on your blog or you are welcome to use mine. (see dedicated page)
Tag: – Motivation Mondays
Hashtag: – #MotvnM

Related Posts

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos:  via Pixabay, AND/OR  via  Wikipedia

1. Eliz@MirthandMotivation permalink*
    15/05/2019 9:16 am

Thank your dear reader for making your way here! Please pause and think about what you can add to keep this conversation on a high level. You are here… make it matter. Please don’t thank me for sharing. Let me do the thanking. Don’t tell me great post either… that’s what all the lazy thinking spammers say, and your comment will end up in my spam box. Think about the post you see and respond to its content. I will always do the same for you… Let’s respect our blog visits with each other. Stay encouraged and Thank You! <3 🙂

2. Emily Fata permalink
    31/08/2019 5:33 am

So often we forget to incorporate self-care into our daily routine. Doing so is so critical to both our mental and physical well-being, and should always be taken into account!

3. Steph Social permalink
    31/08/2019 2:41 pm

I am a firm believer in self care and all it’s benefits! I usually take one afternoon a week for self care because I work all damn hard!

4. Jeannette (Jay Joy) permalink
    01/09/2019 12:38 am

Many of us really don’t put ourselves as priority on our to-do list. I know I don’t but thank you for this reminder!

5. TweenselMom (@TweenselMom) permalink
    01/09/2019 2:18 am

self care is sooo easy to forget. we always think that we need to take care of matters around us first than ourselves, when we can’t function properly without ourselves being well first

6. Lyosha Varezhkina permalink
    01/09/2019 10:39 am

Great motivation Monday post! It is deep and thoughtful and totally give me a lot to think about

7. Amy Dong permalink
    01/09/2019 12:41 pm

This can’t be more true! As a busy working mom, taking care of my own wellness is essential.

8. amayszingblogs permalink
    01/09/2019 5:39 pm

Self-care is important nowadays for our lives Caring for yourself is an act of survival.

9. sincerelymissj permalink
    02/09/2019 4:29 am

Self-care is so important and needs to be emphasized more. Mental and health are super important.

10. Joanna permalink
    02/09/2019 5:16 am

Is is so true what Michelle Obama says. Women have so much more things to do than men, they have to take care of the house, the children, have a career as well. It is hard to maintain a balanced relationship and find time for self care as well.

11. Crickette, The Things I Have to Say permalink
    02/09/2019 5:56 am

We should never underestimate the power of self-care. A lot of people take it for granted.

12. Samar permalink
    02/09/2019 7:01 am

Completely agreed.

We always seem to ignore self-care.

Thanks for the wonderful post to remind us, what is important.

13. Kenneth permalink
    02/09/2019 7:28 am

Loving yourself is really essential and self-care is needed for you to love others unconditionally too. Great article

14. Crystal Gempko permalink
    02/09/2019 9:04 am

I just posted an article myself on the importance of self-care! This is so important to healthy living!

15. teamryce road3ps permalink
    02/09/2019 10:01 am

thank you for the motivation, especially when it’s Monday it really felt a bit lazy to stand up coming from the weekend. But reading this sure helps me get motivated. thanks dear for sharing.

16. Jasmine M permalink
    02/09/2019 10:40 am

I think that a lot of times we don’t take time out to take care of ourselves. We just feel like we can do everything and sometimes we feel like we don’t need to ask for help when we can. I completely agree that it is okay to reach out for help, especially when life gets overwhelming. It is important to take time out to do something for ourselves and to manage our mental, physical, and emotional health.

17. kidneyfornikki permalink
    02/09/2019 11:14 am

I understand the importance of self-care but it is so easy to lose myself in all the things that I need to do around the house and all the people I need to care for. I am getting better at just taking time for myself and expecting more from the other people in my home. We are also having the aide for my father come more often to help out.

18. Olya AMANOVA permalink
    02/09/2019 2:34 pm

I need to get back to my self-care routine. When kids are small you tend to forget things like that. We should always try our best to find time for ourselves, recharge our inner batteries.

19. Sushmita R Malakar permalink
    02/09/2019 4:56 pm

I love your blog. It is always so motivating! 🙂
    Thanks for sharing.

20. Marjie Mare permalink
    02/09/2019 5:15 pm

I work with a group of amazing women myself included. We are very dedicated and care for everyone and tend to place ourselves last. Thanks for sharing your inspirational post. We must care for our physical and mental well being.

21. StressedMum (@stressedmum01) permalink
    03/09/2019 12:18 am

This is very true and something my Mum made me realise recently, I was making myself ill doing everything for others and not looking after myself properly

22. Norma permalink
    03/09/2019 3:16 am

That is so true! We need to set aside some me time to recharge from all the errands, appointments, and commitments. Taking some time to self-care is important for our physical and mental health.

23. Razena permalink
    03/09/2019 5:27 am

It took me a long time to embrace the concept of self-care because I always felt guilty about spending time or resources on myself when there were others who needed my assistance. I knew I had to change my focus when I felt the first glimmer of resentment towards my family obligations and how much they felt like a weight on my shoulders.

24. Kristine Nicole Alessandra permalink
    03/09/2019 12:11 pm

For me, self care is close to being non-existent. I know I should take better care of myself and by not doing so, it has given me all sorts of illness. However, my current situation is akin to “caring for the needs of others at the expense of my own well-being.”

25. Travel with Karla permalink
    03/09/2019 12:46 pm

This is well-written. Even though we are all busy with family, career, and other stuff, we must really make time for ourselves too. This post makes me wanna take a day off and have a massage!

26. Njkinny permalink
    03/09/2019 4:57 pm

Self care is often times the most neglected aspect of a woman’s life and I am also guilty of it. Feeling so energised and motivated to do better with my time and thus, take better care of myself. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

27. itsasweetsweetworld permalink
    03/09/2019 9:18 pm

With our hectic lifestyle, it is very important to take time out for self-care.

28. Dalene Ekirapa permalink
    04/09/2019 1:14 am

A topic just in time! I’ll have to agree with you that indeed, self care is a conscious decision that we just have to make. And I feel like moms should try and have more time for themselves. They juggle between lots of work and forget about taking care of themselves. That’s why I love treating my mom out so that she can get time to unwind and embrace herself more.

29. Dana Peller (@Pellerini) permalink
    05/09/2019 12:03 pm

I’ve met moms who’ve felt guilty because they take time for themselves. There’s nothing wrong with making time for you. It’s actually a blessing when you can 🙂

30. Sushmita Malakar (@sushmitamalakar) permalink
    06/09/2019 7:02 pm

I am a regular reader of your blog. In fact, your words are my daily dose of positivity. I have felt weak and asked for help. I suffer from anxiety disorder and I have seen the worst of myself because of them. But I have learned that I have to fight my own battle and I can only do it if I remain positive. 🙂

31. forkwardthinkingfoodinista permalink
    08/09/2019 8:34 am

Self care is super important for sure. sometimes it is about finding the time to give some me time xx

1. Motivation Mondays: Remember & Honor #MemorialDay | Mirth and Motivation
  2. Motivation Mondays: The Golden Rule | Mirth and Motivation
  3. Motivation Mondays: Power of STORYTELLING | Mirth and Motivation

Your Comment is Appreciated!