Weekly Photo Challenge: A NEW DAY…

03/01/2015

“With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.” Eleanor Roosevelt

Weekly Photo Challenge: NEW - New Year's Day walk on the Old Aqueduct

Weekly Photo Challenge: NEW – New Year’s Day walk on the Old Aqueduct

Weekly Photo Challenge: NEW - New Year's Day walk on the Old Aqueduct

Weekly Photo Challenge: NEW – New Year’s Day walk on the Old Aqueduct

Old friends pass away, new friends appear. It is just like the days. An old day passes, a new day arrives. The important thing is to make it meaningful: a meaningful friend – or a meaningful day. Dalai Lama

Welcome to 2015. Happy New Year!  I started the first day of the year on a quiet note. The weather was not so cold, and the early morning sun made it the perfect day to take a walk on the Old Croton Aqueduct.  My children joined me, and we walked from one village into another, ending at a third village. There were few people out; the usual parade of people and pets were absent and it was serene. As we walked by one of the trees, my eyes caught a note stuck on it. The note on the tree read: No Motorized Vehicles Beyond This Point. No noise, no din of any sort. Perfect. The quiet gave me time to think about last year and this year. So much happened in 2014 and I pray for peace and purpose for all. I’m grateful for the new year and the good things it will bring and, as the highly regarded Filipino writer F. Sionil José once said, When I wake up every morning, I thank God for the new day.

MORE BELOW!

I have always been delighted at the prospect of a new day, a fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a bit of magic waiting somewhere behind the morning. J. B. Priestley

Weekly Photo Challenge: NEW - New Year's Day walk on the Old Aqueduct

Weekly Photo Challenge: NEW – New Year’s Day walk on the Old Aqueduct

We live between the act of awakening and the act of surrender. Each morning, we awaken to the light and the invitation to a new day in the world of time; each night, we surrender to the dark to be taken to play in the world of dreams where time is no more. John O’Donohue

As we crossed the road above, it separates one village from another, all I could think of was follow the yellow brick road with joy and expectation. We can adopt new ways of viewing the world around us, by staying alert to the wonderful miracles awaiting us at every turn in the road. I had a terrific, reflective beginning to 2015 and I hope you did too. May this year empower and enrich us all.

My fellow bloggers were equally creative with their selections. Check out how others interpreted the theme below.

This post was inspired by a prompt from WP Daily Post: Weekly Photo Challenge: NEW Use your photo this week to show us something new-to-you for 2015. It could be a photo that tells us something about your dreams: a place you hope to travel…. Or keep things lower-key, with an image of a favorite gift you received, an inspiring book you just started reading, your new puppy, or the hiking trail you hope to master. New year. New opportunities. New adventures. Let’s inspire one another — show us what’s new.

Positive Motivation Tip: We each New day, see the world around you with new eyes… Happy 2015

More Weekly Photo Challenge Posts

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos from my personal collection.

1. 04/01/2015 8:49 am

A new day sounds great to me. Happy 2015 to you.

2. 04/01/2015 1:54 pm

Hopefully, a serene walk on New Years will pave the way for many more throughout the year. Happy 2015. Enjoy!

3. Lisa Aliperti permalink
    04/01/2015 2:55 pm

Photo challenges are always fun!

4. 04/01/2015 3:01 pm

Gorgeous photos! What a neat challenge. I love all the quotes you used with the photos too. Very beautiful and fitting! Happy 2015!

5. Ben Butler permalink
    04/01/2015 3:35 pm

These are gorgeous pictures. Autumn is the most beautiful time of year.

6. Masshole Mommy permalink
    04/01/2015 4:05 pm

I think each new day is a beginning. If you chose to wake up happy, you will be and so on.

7. bonniegowen permalink
    04/01/2015 4:35 pm

Happy New Year to you as well. =) I’ve had a reflective beginning as well and hope to reach my goals this year.

8. 04/01/2015 4:55 pm

A walk with nature always gives us time to reflect and make new plans, especially because we are at the beginning of a new year and have a fresh start to get things right.
    Peace to all.

• 27/01/2015 10:06 am

Peace to you too dear Barb! It’s been busy with my kids back for the holidays and I’ve been all systems go. Hopefully the coming weeks will be less hectic and I can catch up on my visit.s You live in a stunning area so I’m looking forward to seeing your shots. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

9. 04/01/2015 6:27 pm

Village hopping! That is a fun way to start out the year. 🙂 We had mild weather last week, yesterday we got ice, and today a boat load of snow. It finally looks like winter out there. 😉

10. 04/01/2015 7:59 pm

Happy New Year! It’s true, every day is a new day. I love the quotes you’ve chosen. It’s a great reminder that every day holds new opportunities!

11. 05/01/2015 12:08 am

Isn’t it so nice to have time to sit back and reflect on the previous days/year? Your pictures from your walk look so nice, you have inspired met to get outside on a walk today!

12. 05/01/2015 2:53 am

High Five! me and my kids are actually doing a walking at the park in our place spending the day with restaurant and at the park during New Year. It’s always relaxing when you see a nature around you.

13. 05/01/2015 3:07 am

I love that quote from the Dalai Lama, so true. I’m glad you’ve had such an empowering start to the new year.

14. Mai T. permalink
    05/01/2015 3:13 am

Such serenity! Wonderful.

15. Vesper Meikle permalink
    05/01/2015 8:10 am

a walk with no snow visible – is that normal for January

16. Fi Ní Neachtáin permalink
    05/01/2015 10:41 am

Those pictures are lovely. It’s nice to see the mix of autumn coloured leaves with the bare trees of winter.

17. 05/01/2015 10:48 am

Looking at your photos makes me feel like I was walking with you too. 🙂 They’re lovely photos. I love what the Filipino writer F. Sionil José said. I do that too. Happy 2015!

18. 05/01/2015 2:35 pm

Beautiful photos! I need to stop being a lazy bum and get out and take pictures of nature. Maybe that can be a 2015 goal for me lol! <333

19. 05/01/2015 5:41 pm

Love the first photo. It just looks like it’s ready for someone full of contemplation to walk down it.

20. The Trophy WifeStyle permalink
    05/01/2015 8:57 pm

Great read as usual!!!!! Hope you had a great holiday & hoping your 2015 totally rocks! Cannot wait to read more 🙂

21. May De Jesus-Palacpac permalink
    05/01/2015 9:28 pm

What a perfectly serene picture! I would love to walk through with my kids as well. The mention of yellow brick road reminds me of The Wizard of Oz. 🙂

22. 07/01/2015 8:28 am

Those are pretty pictures! Happy New Year to you and your Family 🙂

23. 07/01/2015 4:20 pm

Love this! The idea of starting everyday and appreciating it’s newness, a chance to start over. Sometimes the idea of letting go of something thats weighing you down is so important, nothing like a New Year for a fresh start!

24. Peachy A. permalink
    08/01/2015 2:57 pm

Your photos are amazing. I would have loved to walk around a neighborhood with lots of trees!

25. luckyseventen permalink
    10/01/2015 8:47 am

Looks like a very peaceful place! I look forward to seeing the rest of your photos.

26. Ben Butler permalink
    15/01/2015 4:19 pm

Gorgeous photos. I really love the road surrounded by trees.

27. Tanya Coffman permalink
    15/01/2015 4:20 pm

Each day I appreciate the marvels of nature we are given. I’m so glad you got to enjoy some quiet time and reflect on your year past – and year to come ❤

28/01/2015 3:49 pm

As Scarlett O’Hara said at the end of Gone with the Wind: “Tomorrow is another day!” We have to face each day with renewed positivity. – Fred

29. 28/01/2015 8:42 pm

2015 had started off with a very confusing note for me, I had a lot of emotional challenges and I couldn’t get anything done. Looking at your nature photos calmed me down. Thanks alot!

30. 28/01/2015 10:17 pm

The photos are so beautiful Eliz, it reminds me of the song “Long and winding road…” for some strange reasons.

31. 29/01/2015 1:08 am

I love your place, the view is so relaxing! Though the trees looks creepy but who cares I just love it!

32. 29/01/2015 2:55 am

It is a welcome respite reminiscing ‘yesterdays’ glorious moments. Yes I agree, a new day brings hope. It is written in the Bible that ‘new morning,brings new blessings’.

33. papaleng007 permalink
    29/01/2015 2:56 am

34. sinyee0504 permalink
    29/01/2015 4:04 am

Photos are beautiful. I love to see photos with trees aside. Thanks for sharing

35. sriches permalink
    29/01/2015 4:16 am

Stunning pictures! Love taking pictures of long lanes when I take the dog out for a walk – especially at this time of year when we have snow, but the sun is still shining through – beautiful! Sim @ simslife.co.uk x

36. tumandok permalink
    29/01/2015 5:51 am

A new day, a new beginning purports a new hope, a new challenge to pursue the unrealized journey. Sounds compliccated, doesn’t it? – Gil Camporazo.

37. John permalink
    29/01/2015 7:15 am

You’ve got great photos. Remind me of the day I took photos of my neighborhood a few years back..

38. 29/01/2015 8:03 am

Still a great start of year for me! We all have our way and time of awakening! And we can always take on life’s adventure, that we need to be awakened every time. 🙂 Pictures are refreshing. Great pics Elizabeth! And great year ahead to all of us! 😀

39. franckxethee permalink
    29/01/2015 8:35 am

I like the view in the photos and the concept in the photo. There’s a huge contrast between the left and right side of the photo which makes it even better.

40. 29/01/2015 6:34 pm

Lovely photo with lovely quote… It looks like a great new journey for a new day!

41. 29/01/2015 9:27 pm

Everyday is a New Day! Let the bygones be bygones. Well sometimes we make mistakes because we are human, we are not perfect. Learn from our mistakes and move on make every new day a better day.

42. Mia Foo permalink
    29/01/2015 10:16 pm

Nice photos! And I wonder if it’s the normal practice for the villagers to sweep all the fallen leaves to just one side of the road, or did it really so happened that the leaves only fell from trees on that side of the road?

43. Jason Panuelos permalink
    30/01/2015 5:09 am

What lovely photos! I love how they capture what you’re trying to say. Have a great 2015!

44. hannah gee permalink
    30/01/2015 5:59 am

How wonderful, I love the idea of this challenge. I look forward to seeing more.

45. Vanessa Ally permalink
    30/01/2015 9:10 am

I love this week’s idea to take a photo showing something new to us for 2015. I am on a new venture of opening a clothing store in the city center, would like to take a pic of my shop as a part of that challenge.

46. Von Avancena permalink
    30/01/2015 11:19 pm

its beautiful! it looks so serene and it can really lift up any weary soul looking at it!

Kindly leave a meaningful comment. "Thanks for sharing" is NOT meaningful. Thank You!