Happy New Year: 10 Good Luck Foods to Eat

31/12/2014

“Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happy New Year: 10 Good Luck Foods to Eat

Happy New Year: 10 Good Luck Foods to Eat

• Black eyed beans and/or Lentils for prosperity
• Buttered bread for nourishment (Ireland)
• 12 Grapes/Raisins before midnight (New Year’s Eve) for great fortune (Spain)
• Greens like Spinach, Kale, Collards remind us of green money and health and drive away evil spirits

HAPPY NEW YEAR! If you live in some parts of the world, 2015 is already here and you are enjoying the fact that you have been blessed with another year to make a positive impact on those around you. If you live in my part of the world, in EST or PST, you still have time to reflect on the ending year and make plans for the new one. One tradition that many honor at the beginning of a new year is to celebrate the occasion with good food, great company, and love and laughter. We eat specific foods that are believed to bring health, happiness, prosperity and more into our lives. In the block quotes above and below, I’ve added a short note of what each food is proposed to bring into your home in the New Year. Make sure to cook those beans or lentils well, and add some kale to make a delicious Veggie Chilli, even Emeril’s veggie chilli. Enjoy it with buttered bread on the side. If it’s still December 31st, 2014, eat 12 grapes to cleanse the palate and wave goodbye to 2014. Hello 2015!

“Hope smiles from the threshold of the year to come, whispering, ‘It will be happier.'” Alfred Lord Tennyson

Happy New Year: 10 Good Luck Foods to Eat

Happy New Year: 10 Good Luck Foods to Eat

• Pork as a way to stay focused in moving forward with our goals and desires.
• Long Noodles offers longevity and eating an unbroken long noodle is extra luck. (Asia)
• Cornbread – the sweet, sunny, yellow, satisfying food augurs prosperity on all fronts.

For people like me who don’t eat meat, don’t be disheartened! You can eat more of the other 9 foods and still have a phenomenal year. Keep in mind that food is for nourishment first and then, we focus on all the great blessings it will bring into our lives. So eat with a joyful heart and hold empowering affirmations in your mind… Don’t forget that no matter what we wish for, if we don’t move our feet,  we limit our chances. Enjoy the sustenance these healthy foods offer and have a Happy New Year!

MORE BELOW!

“Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right.” Oprah Winfrey

Happy New Year: 10 Good Luck Foods to Eat

Happy New Year: 10 Good Luck Foods to Eat

• Round Foods – desserts, citrus fruits, wave off the old and welcome the new into our sunny lives
• Whole Fish on New Year’s Day is a sign of great prosperity. Fish is a prosperous symbol in Asia
• Chocolate is always great as a digestive and a luxury treat signifying a year of pampering.

How could we ever start a new season in our lives without a bit of chocolate? The New Year is the perfect time to give yourself a sweet treat and then throw yourself into your exercise routine; planned or not. Please don’t tell us not to have any because the secret to a healthy, happy, and balanced life is to enjoy everything in moderation. Excess = Waste. We want to do things in 2015 that are Eco-friendly, reduce our carbon footprint, and lift us and others up. Go do it! Have a Healthy Happy and Prosperous New Year!

Positive Motivation Tip: Celebrate the New Year with good food and company and keep the spirit of goodwill throughout 2015

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos black-eyed beans, butter breadgrapesKale, Ornamental kale, Pork, Long life noodles, Cornbread, Chilli w/ Cornbread, Round citrus fruits, round desserts, round cakewhole fish, chocolate, chocolates, via Wikipedia

Ask. Believe. Receive.©

1. 31/12/2014 12:36 pm

Now all of these I’d certainly enjoy! 😄

2. 31/12/2014 12:48 pm

Happy New Year Elizabeth! I hope 2015 is a great year!!
    xob

3. 31/12/2014 1:59 pm

I wish I’d read this earlier, but I did manage to get a few of these in today, so I’m all set for an amazing year. Happy New Year!

4. 31/12/2014 2:56 pm

Ahh, a foodie New Year post! Great, thanks. Happy New Year to you. See you in 2015.

5. 31/12/2014 6:33 pm

You are such a gift to us over and over again!

6. 31/12/2014 7:52 pm

thank you! I actually had pork tonight along with chocolate so I’m well on my way 🙂 I always love reading your inspirational posts and so glad I found this one tonight. happy new year to you!!

7. 31/12/2014 9:07 pm

Happy New Year, Elizabeth. This is the first time I’ve learned of lentils for prosperity and buttered bread for abundance. I will suggest those next year. Hey, I’d like to add some stuff to this list 🙂

We have quite a lot of good luck food that we put on the table to welcome the New Year. For as long as I can remember, it has always been a New Year tradition in the family to have 13 kinds of round fruit. These are believed to bring prosperity and abundance, which I think stems from Chinese culture. My grandmother makes it complicated, she prefers those without seeds because she feels that seeds symbolize difficulties.

You won’t find any chicken dish on the dining table in our home during New Year. There’s a Filipino phrase, “isang kahig – isang tuka” > living from hand to mouth and they say there’s a semblance to how chickens feed or something. It’s not considered good luck in our home. Lol.

You’ll usually find a lot of sweets on our dining table, especially the sticky ones. These symbolize abundance, harmonious and happy relationships, and most of all keeping the family together. I think this is another Chinese belief but my family’s been doing it for years.

8. papaleng007 permalink
    01/01/2015 12:49 am

I am not into these good luck stuffs but those foods you mentioned are just too healthy to try. Happy New Year.

9. Skinny b permalink
    01/01/2015 3:05 am

Keeping the spirit of goodwill and positivity goes a long way. I am hoping for a great year for everyone. Eat to that!! Cheers

10. Alissa permalink
    01/01/2015 3:21 am

yummy in my tummy! Happy New Year first of all! In our country, The Philippines, we always have 13 round fruits in our table as good luck

11. franckxethee permalink
    01/01/2015 4:38 am

We have the tradition of having 12 rounded fruits for good luck and we never missed on that tradition. It really helps that we take see this foods with an accompanying positive traits to power up 2015. Happy New Year.

12. 01/01/2015 7:07 am

We showered in the new year with a lovely dinner with our extended family on the eve and continued on to a scrumptious breakfast. While there are no particular food traditions in my part of the world, we definitely incorporated a little of everything. Lots of greens and coloured veggies, an assortment of meats and fish as well as something sweet to end the day. Good food, great company and laughter is definitely a wonderful way to welcome brand new beginnings.

13. 01/01/2015 7:21 am

So many things to eat, how will I ever keep my weight loss goals for the New Year! Ha ha! Happy New Year

14. 01/01/2015 8:41 am

I think the best part of the post was the quotes 🙂 As I was going through the post I was just looking out when the next quote would appear 🙂 One way to start new year would be to have those quotes on mind 🙂 Thanq for them 🙂 In the food items, chocolates and the fish will always be there in my appetite :p

15. 01/01/2015 8:51 am

Thank you for helping with my guilt about chocolate!

16. katrinagehman permalink
    01/01/2015 9:21 am

of course i’m drawn to the cake. everything looks so good.

17. 01/01/2015 9:23 am

This is a lovely list of lucky foods! Thanks so much!

18. 01/01/2015 3:20 pm

Oh wow, I’m amazed that plenty of cultures probably have their own versions of what’s the best food to eat for New Years!

Coming from the Philippines and I believe it’s a Chinese tradition handed down to us, we believe anything round is a sign of good luck. Most of the food we serve during New Year is round or circular in shape. Round is also the shape of coins which signify wealth and prosperity.

19. 01/01/2015 3:52 pm

love the symbols of foods with their meanings…may we all have a bite of each!

20. Nanda Reis permalink
    01/01/2015 6:04 pm

In my country all my family eats a plate full of lentil soup on new years eve! Since I moved I haven’t done it but I sure miss it =)
    Happy new Year!

• 02/01/2015 8:35 am

Happy New Year! Why did you add the wrong website address? I found you in my spambox.
      Please be careful next time or you will be blocked. TY! 🙂

01/01/2015 6:19 pm

A blessed and happy New Year to you and your family. Interesting to see that round fruits are a new year tradition the world over. I thought it would just be here in my neck of the woods. – Fred

22. 01/01/2015 9:14 pm

My parents believe this and until now we are doing this tradition about noodles, having 12 different round fruits, and many more. You are correct that anything in excess is not good! Have a great and prosperous new year to all of us!

23. 02/01/2015 6:23 am

Every new year, we prepare certain foods for beliefs like for noodles (longer life), round fruits (to attract luck or money) and this certain dish I forgot what it’s called but it means a prosperous new year.

Honestly, we don’t believe on those but as my grandma says, “There’s no harm in trying.” So we just go along with the tradition.

24. 02/01/2015 7:22 am

My mom would definitely love this article! I would definitely share this with her 🙂

25. Nicol Wong (@yuk_lui) permalink
    02/01/2015 8:21 am

this is interesting! never thought there are good luck foods

26. Vanessa permalink
    02/01/2015 11:58 am

Wow, I didn’t know Black eyed beans and Lentils are among the lucky food to eat for prosperity! But I definitely indulged myself eating chocolate and all kinds of desserts.

27. Emman permalink
    03/01/2015 2:49 am

Never thought they were for goodluck. But I ate more than 12 grapes before new year. I think half a kilo. LOL Thanks for this list. Now I know the good luck food to prepare next year.

28. Lisa Rios permalink
    03/01/2015 4:06 am

Wishing you a very Happy New Year. Thanks a ton for posting an yummy & delicious post to portrait those 10 good luck foods to eat. Chocolate will always be my favorite & Cakes would be the second most liked food 🙂

29. Vishruti permalink
    03/01/2015 7:33 am

What an interesting read ! Never knew about these things.
    Being a vegetarian, I already eat a lot of Black Eyed Beans 🙂

30. 03/01/2015 9:42 am

Hey those are some interesting good luck foods that you have listed out. We eat Lentils at new year’s too 🙂

31. Anne Marie Carter permalink
    04/01/2015 4:28 pm

I’m glad to see that I ate most of these foods that were listed.

32. Megan Scharlau permalink
    05/01/2015 6:01 am

I was talking to my mother about new years food this year because she was suggesting we eat pickled herring for good luck. Then she remembered that she hated the taste and decided against it.

33. Masshole Mommy permalink
    06/01/2015 2:42 pm

I should eat one of everything and then I will have an awesome year! Happy New Year to you!

34. Ben Butler permalink
    06/01/2015 3:13 pm

I never knew there were so many good luck foods. I must be super lucky, because I love most of these!

35. 06/01/2015 3:38 pm

Wonderful happy new year to you! Very interesting I had no idea there was good luck foods!!

36. Terri's Little Haven (@terrishutterbug) permalink
    06/01/2015 4:09 pm

What a fun post, I never knew there were so many good luck foods to eat. Here in GA we always have blackeye peas for good luck and greens for money. I always cook a pork loin and rice to go with it and we all look forward to eating it for the luck and $ lol.

37. The Trophy WifeStyle permalink
    06/01/2015 7:49 pm

Awwwww love itttttt!!! Hope you have a great 2015 Elisabeth 🙂

38. Ann Bacciaglia permalink
    06/01/2015 7:52 pm

Happy New Year to you and your family. These look like great treats to eat.

39. 06/01/2015 10:02 pm

I am happy to eat of them thank you very much and then check out the luck they carry later.

40. 07/01/2015 2:14 am

I never knew any of this! I eat most of those foods though – I just need to wait for my luck to change!

41. 07/01/2015 6:37 am

We always have round foods. It’s one of our New Year traditions. We had round chocolates and round fruits last year. 🙂

42. klg1982 permalink
    07/01/2015 8:13 am

I think that chocolate is calling my name! love this article

43. yumeating permalink
    07/01/2015 8:48 am

Cornbread. I can always go for a good cornbread. Especially when its pair with beans & rice, gumbo or a good chili. I know a lot of people eat black-eyed peas but I could never get myself to enjoy them.

44. 07/01/2015 9:13 am

I could use some good luck. I’m going to stock up! 🙂 Happy New Year to you!

45. 07/01/2015 9:56 am

Happy New Year! I love Blackeye peas and I cook them all year round as well. I hope 2015 is magical for you and your family.

46. Songbirds & Buttons (@KendallRayburn) permalink
    07/01/2015 12:53 pm

Love to see lists like this! Great selections!

47. 07/01/2015 4:07 pm

My aunt always made all the cabbage, black eyed peas and sausage for New Year’s Day dinner. Growing up though, my own mom never did any of those things so as I saw my aunt doing that when I was teenager, I thought it was kinda cool. Now that I’m older and have my own family, we don’t cook those things. This year we did have beans and cornbread though…with ham. Not for goodluck, just because it sounded good. HAHA!

48. 07/01/2015 6:26 pm

Happy New Year! =) I’ve never done anything like this before or even heard of this before. Thanks for sharing.

49. Melanie (@melaniemiddle1) permalink
    07/01/2015 7:37 pm

Such a fascinating post. Never knew there were foods associated with luck. Happy New Year!

50. 07/01/2015 8:44 pm

Being from an asian family, I was aware of most of the ‘good luck’ foods, but… I’ve never heard of cornbread! I could see it making sense though.. Regardless, I’m a huge fan of cornbread (especially with honey butter), so I’d be happy to add it to the list of ‘eat for good luck’ foods. :9 Happy New Year!

xo,
    lauriel

51. Michelle Hwee permalink
    07/01/2015 9:16 pm

How cool to read of this! i knew about the grapes but not the others. Thanks for sharing!

52. 07/01/2015 9:19 pm

Well then I should have tons of good luck with all the chocolate i like to eat, haha. This is a really cool post.

53. 08/01/2015 2:09 pm

Every year when I was younger my mom would make every single one and we would have to eat them on New Years day. I hated some of it but I love that it was something that we did every year and I will probably do it with my kids.

54. 08/01/2015 2:28 pm

Wow! All that food looks amazing. I love blackeyed peas, but I’ve never eaten them for New Year’s.

55. 08/01/2015 8:32 pm

This was a cool post – I learned a lot and it was very interesting. I will have to remember the Spanish tradition of eating 12 Grapes before midnight on New Year’s Eve for great fortune – I want to do that one.

56. 09/01/2015 5:48 pm

I have learned so much in this post. I knew about black eyed peas but I didn’t know about the other foods.

57. Spinks permalink
    14/01/2015 3:27 pm

I’m always amazed at the various traditions held by people around the country. Thanks for this great post.

58. Dinner, then Dessert permalink
    30/05/2015 1:26 am

What a fun list, you can never have too much luck! Plus I LOVE black eyed peas!

59. Kristen Wilson (@k10wilson) permalink
    07/02/2016 11:13 am

Who wouldn’t want some extra luck! Awesome!

60. Neha permalink
    31/05/2017 7:39 am

That’s so delicious, loved it. Chocolates are so much yummy in all three different flavors. chocolates are lovely and those food with it.

61. Corinne & Kirsty 🌸 (@corinnekirsty) permalink
    04/07/2017 12:45 pm

I absolutely love noodles, although I always cook them plain and boring. I am also a sucker for chocolate and trying to cure my addiction ahah xx corinne

1. Happy New Year: 10 Good Luck Foods to Eat | Explore America with Kids