“Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
• Black eyed beans and/or Lentils for prosperity
• Buttered bread for nourishment (Ireland)
• 12 Grapes/Raisins before midnight (New Year’s Eve) for great fortune (Spain)
• Greens like Spinach, Kale, Collards remind us of green money and health and drive away evil spirits
HAPPY NEW YEAR! If you live in some parts of the world, 2015 is already here and you are enjoying the fact that you have been blessed with another year to make a positive impact on those around you. If you live in my part of the world, in EST or PST, you still have time to reflect on the ending year and make plans for the new one. One tradition that many honor at the beginning of a new year is to celebrate the occasion with good food, great company, and love and laughter. We eat specific foods that are believed to bring health, happiness, prosperity and more into our lives. In the block quotes above and below, I’ve added a short note of what each food is proposed to bring into your home in the New Year. Make sure to cook those beans or lentils well, and add some kale to make a delicious Veggie Chilli, even Emeril’s veggie chilli. Enjoy it with buttered bread on the side. If it’s still December 31st, 2014, eat 12 grapes to cleanse the palate and wave goodbye to 2014. Hello 2015!
“Hope smiles from the threshold of the year to come, whispering, ‘It will be happier.'” Alfred Lord Tennyson
• Pork as a way to stay focused in moving forward with our goals and desires.
• Long Noodles offers longevity and eating an unbroken long noodle is extra luck. (Asia)
• Cornbread – the sweet, sunny, yellow, satisfying food augurs prosperity on all fronts.
For people like me who don’t eat meat, don’t be disheartened! You can eat more of the other 9 foods and still have a phenomenal year. Keep in mind that food is for nourishment first and then, we focus on all the great blessings it will bring into our lives. So eat with a joyful heart and hold empowering affirmations in your mind… Don’t forget that no matter what we wish for, if we don’t move our feet, we limit our chances. Enjoy the sustenance these healthy foods offer and have a Happy New Year!
“Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right.” Oprah Winfrey
• Round Foods – desserts, citrus fruits, wave off the old and welcome the new into our sunny lives
• Whole Fish on New Year’s Day is a sign of great prosperity. Fish is a prosperous symbol in Asia
• Chocolate is always great as a digestive and a luxury treat signifying a year of pampering.
How could we ever start a new season in our lives without a bit of chocolate? The New Year is the perfect time to give yourself a sweet treat and then throw yourself into your exercise routine; planned or not. Please don’t tell us not to have any because the secret to a healthy, happy, and balanced life is to enjoy everything in moderation. Excess = Waste. We want to do things in 2015 that are Eco-friendly, reduce our carbon footprint, and lift us and others up. Go do it! Have a Healthy Happy and Prosperous New Year!
Positive Motivation Tip: Celebrate the New Year with good food and company and keep the spirit of goodwill throughout 2015
PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos black-eyed beans, butter bread, grapes, Kale, Ornamental kale, Pork, Long life noodles, Cornbread, Chilli w/ Cornbread, Round citrus fruits, round desserts, round cake, whole fish, chocolate, chocolates, via Wikipedia
- Food Files: All Things Food Related! (mirthandmotivation.com)
- Welcome 2014: Happy New Year! (mirthandmotivation.com)
- Welcome 2013: Tips For A Happy Healthy Year! (mirthandmotivation.com)
- Welcome 2012: Tips For An Abundant & Healthy Year! (mirthandmotivation.com)
- Welcome 2011: We have 365 Days to Make a Difference… (mirthandmotivation.com)
- 5 Essential Tips for a Phenomenal 2010 (mirthandmotivation.com)
- HAPPY NEW YEAR: Skip the resolutions and take action in 2009! (mirthandmotivation.com)
- New Year’s Resolution: 3 Easy Tips to Be Financially Fit in 2014 (huffingtonpost.com)