10 Lucky Foods For The New Year: Food Files
“Hope smiles from the threshold of the year to come, whispering, ‘It will be happier.'” Alfred Lord Tennyson
1. Black eyed beans and/or Lentils for prosperity
2. Buttered bread for nourishment (Ireland)
3. 12 Grapes/Raisins before midnight (New Year’s Eve) for great fortune (Spain)
4. Greens like Spinach, Kale, Collards remind us of green money and health and drive away evil spirits
HAPPY LUCKY NEW YEAR! Are you ready to ride into the New Year with all the luck you can muster? Can you believe we are at the end of another glorious year? When did all the time fly? If you live in some parts of the world, 2016 is almost here and you will soon be celebrating the fact that you have been blessed with another year to make a definitive and positive impact on the world. If you live in my part of the world, in EST or PST, you still have time to reflect on the ending year, make plans, and celebrate the new one.
One tradition that my family and others around the world honor, at the beginning of a new year, is to celebrate the occasion with good food, great company, and love and laughter. We eat specific foods that are believed to bring health, happiness, prosperity and more into our lives. Above and below, I’ve added a note with each of the highlighted 10 Lucky Foods so you’ll know what eating them can bring into your home in the New Year. Make sure to cook those beans or lentils well, and enjoy the grapes, desserts and all the rest for some vim and vigor in the new year. On December 31st, eat 12 grapes to cleanse the palate and wave goodbye to 2015. Hello 2016!
“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” Joseph Campbell & E. M. Forster
5. Round Foods – desserts, citrus fruits, wave off the old and welcome the new into our sunny lives
6. Whole Fish on New Year’s Day is a sign of great prosperity. Fish is a prosperous symbol in Asia
7. Chocolate is always great as a digestive and a luxury treat signifying a year of pampering.
Did you know round foods (aka desserts) are 1 of the 10 lucky foods? How could we ever start a new season in our lives without a bit of chocolate? Or a nicely baked pie? Come back soon for my Pecan Pie recipe to help you celebrate with a delightful dessert that your friends and family would love. All the 10 lucky foods will give you the extra edge and joy at your New Year’s party celebration. So share the goodwill and good food.
The New Year is the perfect time to give yourself a sweet treat and then throw yourself into your exercise routine; like it or not, we all need some exercise to stay healthy. Please don’t tell us not to have any dessert because the secret to a healthy, happy, and balanced life is to enjoy everything in moderation. In addition to enjoying our food, let’s plan to do things that will be Eco-friendly, reduce our carbon footprint, and lift us and others up. Go do it! Here’s to a phenomenal and very LUCKY 2016!
“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.” Marcus Aurelius
8. Pork as a way to stay focused in moving forward with our goals and desires.
9. Long Noodles offers longevity and eating an unbroken long noodle is extra luck. (Asia)
10. Cornbread – the sweet, sunny, yellow, satisfying food augurs prosperity on all fronts.
Are you ready to leap into 2016? Well, have no fear about what to eat or not eat… For those of us who don’t eat meat, don’t be disheartened! You can substitute another protein and/or eat more of the other 9 foods and still have a phenomenal year. Keep in mind that food is for nourishment first and then, we focus on all the great blessings it will bring into our lives. So eat with a joyful heart and hold empowering affirmations in your mind… Don’t forget that no matter what we wish for, if we don’t move our feet, we limit our chances. Enjoy the sustenance these healthy foods offer and have a Happy New Year! Have a Healthy, Happy, and Prosperous New Year!
Positive Motivation Tip: Celebrate the New Year with good food and company and keep the spirit of goodwill throughout 2016
PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos black-eyed beans, butter bread, grapes, Kale, Ornamental kale, Pork, Long life noodles, Cornbread, Chilli w/ Cornbread, Round citrus fruits, round desserts, round cake, whole fish, chocolate, chocolates, via Wikipedia.
- Food Files: All Things Food Related! (mirthandmotivation.com)
- Welcome 2014: Happy New Year! (mirthandmotivation.com)
- Welcome 2013: Tips For A Happy Healthy Year! (mirthandmotivation.com)
- Welcome 2012: Tips For An Abundant & Healthy Year! (mirthandmotivation.com)
- Welcome 2011: We have 365 Days to Make a Difference… (mirthandmotivation.com)
- 5 Essential Tips for a Phenomenal 2010 (mirthandmotivation.com)
- HAPPY NEW YEAR: Skip the resolutions and take action in 2009! (mirthandmotivation.com)
- New Year’s Resolution: 3 Easy Tips to Be Financially Fit in 2014 (huffingtonpost.com)
- 10 Good Luck Foods for The New Year (womansday.com)
- 7 Lucky New Year’s Foods (readersdigest.com)
- 9 Foods To Eat On New Year’s For Good Luck In 2016 ( Yahoo Food)
- New Year’s Eve Traditions: 5 Lucky Foods To Eat To Bring You Good Fortune Next Year! (latintimes.com)
- Get Lucky: Traditional foods for the New Year (decaturdaily.com)
- End 2015 in good taste, begin 2016 with lucky foods (post-gazette.com)
- Lucky Foods for the New Year (epicurious.com)
- New Year’s Good Luck Food Recipes (allrecipes.com)
- 10 Good Luck Foods (food.com)
- 10 Foods That Will Bring You Luck In The New Year (bonappetit.com)
- Lucky Foods for the New Year (marthastewart.com)
- Lucky New Year’s Meal (southernliving.com)