Weekly Photo Challenge: SYMBOL

10/07/2015

“All theory, dear friend, is gray, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Weekly Photo Challenge: SYMBOL - TREES

Weekly Photo Challenge: SYMBOL – TREES

Weekly Photo Challenge: SYMBOL - TREE

Weekly Photo Challenge: SYMBOL – TREES I saw this one today on my walk…

Consider a tree for a moment. As beautiful as trees are to look at, we don’t see what goes on underground – as they grow roots. Trees must develop deep roots in order to grow strong and produce their beauty. But we don’t see the roots. We just see and enjoy the beauty. In much the same way, what goes on inside of us is like the roots of a tree. Joyce Meyer

Do you have trees around you? Today, I was taking my morning walk and this gorgeous tree danced before my eyes. I reached for my smart-phone and took a few shots and continued my routine. When I later saw the photo challenge, I was pleased because I knew this would be a perfect symbol to share. I went back out and took a few more shots of trees in my yard; I included a tree stump from a tree that had to be felled to prevent it from falling on the electrical wires.

I live in an area with a ton of trees. We love that they offer shade from the heat in the summer, home for a variety of lifeforms from squirrels to birds and bugs, and that they remind us of the magnificence and steadiness of nature. Our trees are hundreds of years old and when I approach the ones in my yard, I can feel the power of their presence and their long history standing before me. Over the years, we’ve lost a few trees; a big branch fell on my car, the heavy snowstorms knocked some down, and the thundering rainstorms claimed a bunch around town but, they remain an awe-inspiring presence. What do you think of them?

“A man doesn’t plant a tree for himself. He plants it for posterity.” Alexander Smith

Weekly Photo Challenge: SYMBOL - TREES

Weekly Photo Challenge: SYMBOL – TREES

Weekly Photo Challenge: SYMBOL - TREES

Weekly Photo Challenge: SYMBOL – TREES

The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing that stands in the way. Some see nature all ridicule and deformity… and some scarce see nature at all. But to the eyes of the man of imagination, nature is imagination itself. William Blake

Trees do more than give us shade, they teach us a lot about life.  As I mentioned above, when I read the challenge for today, the first thought that sprung to mind was of our local trees, and so I took a few with my phone camera… They are not the best shots of our trees but I was thinking about their symbolic meaning than about the quality of my pixels. So I hope you will look beyond what is shown and consider the deeper meaning. Often, people talk about the symbolism around trees, and the notion of the tree of life and what it represents comes to the fore:
Wisdom
Protection
Beauty
Redemption
Abundance
Strength
God’s Grace
That makes perfect sense because I see that in every tree that crosses my path on my walks on the aqueduct, in my neighborhood, and in my yard. What about you?

Weekly Photo Challenge: SYMBOL - TREES

Weekly Photo Challenge: SYMBOL – TREES

Never say there is nothing beautiful in the world anymore. There is always something to make you wonder in the shape of a tree, the trembling of a leaf. Albert Schweitzer

Let’s celebrate nature and its infinite wisdom that grows in all of its flora and fauna. I’d love to invite you explore the trees in your neighborhood and say a big “Hello!” to the world of trees and nature!

My fellow bloggers were equally creative with their selections. Check out how others interpreted the theme below.

This post was inspired by a prompt from WP Daily Post: Weekly Photo Challenge: SYMBOL  For this week’s photo challenge, share a symbol with us. In my image, the engagement ring symbolizes an intended commitment of two people to one another. Your subject does not have to be as literal of an interpretation; you can choose something that is uniquely symbolic and relevant to you, and share the story behind it.

Positive Motivation Tip: Trees do more than give us shade, they teach us a lot about life. Honor the trees around you and all they provide…

More Weekly Photo Challenge Posts

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos from my Personal Collection.

1. spiritofdragonflies permalink
    10/07/2015 2:23 pm

Trees are my favorite thing when I want to find peace, playfulness, love, strength, security and energy. Love your photos of the tree and what they mean to you.

2. lagiraffa permalink
    10/07/2015 2:39 pm

I love trees and the one you see on your way is perfect for the challenge! Great!

3. Patrice M Foster permalink
    10/07/2015 3:02 pm

motivating and peaceful as always weekly photo Challenge Trees I love to sit under a tree daily and meditate being one with nature.

4. Christy Maurer permalink
    10/07/2015 3:47 pm

I love looking at nature. Trees really are a gift from God. Think of a world without trees! It would be awful!

5. Marie Shaff permalink
    10/07/2015 3:59 pm

These are beautiful.photos, and they remind me to think more about the things around me.

6. A Maine Mama permalink
    10/07/2015 4:15 pm

Is there anything more beautiful than trees in springtime … various levels of blossom and regrowth … gaining strength and life through seasonal sun and rain. Love that you chose Joyce Meyer. She is an amazing woman!

7. Masshole Mommy permalink
    10/07/2015 5:46 pm

I think my kids are a symbol. They are a symbol of love and joy in my life.!

8. loisaltermark permalink
    10/07/2015 5:54 pm

What gorgeous photos. I think trees are amazing. So awe-inspiring.

9. shoma abhyankar permalink
    10/07/2015 6:51 pm

I love having trees around….. It seems so peaceful…. And majestic. Thanks for sharing… Beautifully expressed

10. LaQuinda Brewington (SisterLadyGirl.com) permalink
    10/07/2015 8:04 pm

Very thought provoking and beautiful. Had me thinking about trees in a whole new way.

11. Jessica Beal Harlow permalink
    10/07/2015 8:28 pm

I love trees and completely appreciate that I live in the most wooded state in the US, Maine. Our fall foliage is absolutely amazing and I can even find the beauty in those sometimes messy Pine trees and completely naked winter trees!

12. toughlove100 permalink
    10/07/2015 8:31 pm

That tree does look like it is dancing. Great post. Take time to pay attention to the world around us.

13. Beth@FrugalFroggie permalink
    10/07/2015 8:48 pm

Such great photos. I have kicked around the idea of taking a photography class.

14. Heather permalink
    10/07/2015 8:55 pm

I love trees. We’ve got two in my back yard and provide lots of shade for my kiddos, and I do agree on all the things trees symbolize.

15. Jillian Fisher permalink
    10/07/2015 8:59 pm

I love purple trees! They look so beautiful!

16. Curtis Joseph permalink
    10/07/2015 9:03 pm

I love the pictures a lot, the tree looks so beautiful.

17. asbestrecipes permalink
    10/07/2015 9:20 pm

Love trees and what they represent your pictures are outstanding as always =)

18. Shann Eva (@Shanneva) permalink
    10/07/2015 9:29 pm

Beautiful. I love trees. Great pictures!

19. upliftingfam permalink
    10/07/2015 9:45 pm

We have a tree in the middle of our yard. I’m hoping one day that it will be a big beautiful tree. I remember 7 years ago when we first moved into our house, that poor tree was just a small twig. The wind would cause it to sway and bend. However, it was resilient and is flourishing. It reminds me of how our own children grow up.

20. theconservativemommy (@theconsmommy) permalink
    10/07/2015 10:08 pm

It is crazy to think about how old trees are and all of their history. Great photos!

21. Michelle hwee permalink
    10/07/2015 10:38 pm

Trees are definitely quite symbolic. Love your post as always. Looking forward to the next one.

22. 10/07/2015 11:05 pm

Great pics. I love taking tree pics…they are so easy to capture…and they dont move around like kids lol.

23. 11/07/2015 3:02 am

You chose a great symbol of strength and perseverance.

24. Maria Lianos-Carbone (@amotherworld) permalink
    11/07/2015 4:08 am

I love your perspective. I need to spend some time sitting under a big old tree, close my eyes and feel at one with nature. Thanks for the reminder.

25. toughcookiemommy permalink
    11/07/2015 4:38 am

Observing nature can be so calming and inspirational. Sometimes we just need to stop and literally smell the proverbial roses.

26. 11/07/2015 5:03 am

Yep, I’ve been moved to tears by trees!

27. Rebel Sweetheart permalink
    11/07/2015 6:12 am

These are stunning photos of trees! Glad to be living in a place where trees are thriving! 🙂

28. Jeanine permalink
    11/07/2015 6:59 am

What gorgeous photos! I never really look at trees, but in these photos you can see the beautiful differences and how lovely they truly are. Now I’ll be checking out trees all the time! I absolutely love all your quotes you quote!

29. laurenpaintsflorida permalink
    11/07/2015 7:17 am

Such beautiful photos! I love taking pictures of trees, especially old, well established trees… There’s something so majestic about not knowing its story but knowing it survived so much and still stands so tall.

30. Sabrina @ Dinner, then Dessert permalink
    11/07/2015 7:45 am

Trees are so commonplace that people might forget any random tree is probably older than they are! Trees can be so majestic!

31. harrietb (@harrietb) permalink
    11/07/2015 8:23 am

I really like how pretty those trees are and how they fit in with your post

32. Carly Brydon Anderson permalink
    11/07/2015 9:41 am

Trees are so beautiful. And they are definitely a symbol of all of the things you listed!

33. Jaime Nicole permalink
    11/07/2015 5:26 pm

Such a beautiful tree. I love the color splash that it brings to the frame. It looks like it was put there just for your inspiration. Very lovely photo.

34. martinkadelux permalink
    11/07/2015 5:59 pm

“Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago.” Warren Buffett–> makes me think of my Dad. He wanted a bench to be placed near his final resting place so that there would be a place for people to sit and remember, and grieve, and laugh. He didn’t mind if it had his name, or anything. He just wanted it to be there because someone put it there for someone else who might need it.

35. Beth Williams (@TranslateTravel) permalink
    11/07/2015 7:13 pm

Always important to stop and appreciate nature!

36. The *New* Classy (@TheNewClassy) permalink
    11/07/2015 8:35 pm

Those trees are really gorgeous. I need to take some pictures of the trees in my yard and share them, too.

37. R U S S permalink
    12/07/2015 1:00 am

This is going to sound weird – we don’t have much trees at home. My Mom had them removed when my brother and I were kids because we were both allergic to plants ( so odd, I know ). Plus I work in the city so I see skyscrapers instead of trees. And, because of this, I am very fond of taking nature views and tree shots whenever I am out of town or on a trip. I find trees beautiful and have had fun taking a lot of nice photos when I was in Brunei and in Malaysia.

I’m glad that my skin doesn’t react so much now compared to when I was a kid.

38. Miranda (Myrabev) permalink
    12/07/2015 2:38 am

Loving all the quotes used in this post, when we see a tree all we see is its beauty or lack thereof but never what is underneath it and how deep the roots go

39. Louise ღ (@louisechelle) permalink
    12/07/2015 4:29 am

We often look at trees as an enormous plant that brings us or our cars shade. Though we have been informed at how they make our world flood free, we never really think of the person who have planted it. So for me, a tree is more than just a plant. It symbolizes solicitude.

40. Rosey permalink
    12/07/2015 4:45 am

I have a ‘thing’ for trees that gets more and more appreciative as I get older. There’s so many of them, and they really are amazing. Nature is amazing.

41. Stephanie Pass permalink
    12/07/2015 6:31 am

What a gorgeous tree! I love the purple color. We have a tree in our backyard. We planted it 3 years ago. It’s an apricot tree, and this year it finally produced fruit. I was so excited!

42. Mia Foo permalink
    12/07/2015 8:45 am

i’m Singaporean and Singapore is well known as a garden city. everywhere we go are filled with trees and other greenery. 🙂

43. PrayerFull Mum permalink
    12/07/2015 9:21 am

What an interesting way that you captured the theme “symbol” and used a tree to symbolise beauty and growth! I really enjoy reading every single motivational post of yours.

44. The Trophy WifeStyle permalink
    12/07/2015 9:47 am

Some trees are thousands of years old! The wisdom they have can teach us so much about life 🙂

45. klg1982 permalink
    12/07/2015 11:35 am

It’s such a beautiful time to be outside! I don’t know why, but this post reminded me of the giving tree.

46. krystal permalink
    12/07/2015 12:30 pm

I love those photos of trees! I like enjoying the summer air and being outdoors!

47. LifeAsAConvert permalink
    12/07/2015 12:50 pm

Love these images of trees, especially the on in the middle of the top collage.

48. I Love Paars by: Lee permalink
    12/07/2015 3:44 pm

Man plants a tree for prosperity. I think its best to describe for my kid. Now i am investing much money for her education so she can finish her studies and be successful in the future.

49. Fred Hawson permalink
    12/07/2015 4:05 pm

Purple leaves in the spring/summer? What kind of tree is it? It is a symbol of individuality for me, how it stands out among the other trees behind it.

50. Nicol Wong permalink
    12/07/2015 4:35 pm

who knew a tree would symbolize that many! i always find it fascinating what things symbolize

51. Lois Jones permalink
    12/07/2015 5:49 pm

Interesting that you chose trees as a symbol. I can completely see that and just love trees too. I especially love old trees and think about all that has happened around them over time.

52. M from The Stay-at-Home Life permalink
    12/07/2015 6:08 pm

Beautiful photos of nature and trees!

53. Ling Tan permalink
    12/07/2015 8:48 pm

Lovely images, as always. The original Chinese proverb does,”the ancestors plant the trees, the descendants enjoy the shades”. Warren Buffett certainly must have heard of it!

54. Pooja Kawatra Gupta permalink
    12/07/2015 9:27 pm

Sitting in an old shady tree gives you the feeling and care like parents do for their kids to protect them everything. Beautiful feeling and always encourage my kids to plant more.

55. Franc Ramon permalink
    13/07/2015 12:27 am

I think trees can be great symbols. It’s among our life companion that stays through time and give us shelter and protection too.

56. Papaleng Pagulong permalink
    13/07/2015 8:25 am

Trees not only give us shades but also gorgeous blooms that is great to enjoy. We do have a Narra tree planted just outside our yard.

57. Fatemah Sajwani permalink
    13/07/2015 8:26 am

I totally imagine your love for trees. My city is famous for its greenery around the wold and is known as the 2nd most beautiful capital around the world because of its scenic beauty.

58. 13/07/2015 8:46 am

Interesting and informative, Elizabeth. There’s always something to learn here. 🙂

59. 13/07/2015 10:24 am

YOu caught that tree at the perfect colors! Great photos

60. kleebanks permalink
    13/07/2015 4:55 pm

I love trees, too, and your photos are wonderful. We’re surrounded by trees here and they’re especially gorgeous in the fall! They even have a different kind of beauty in the winter, covered with fresh fallen snow.

61. 13/07/2015 7:11 pm

A wonderful, thoughtful post!

62. Karen permalink
    14/07/2015 1:48 am

This reminds me of a movie that also tackles about a tree with symbol, but I can’t remember the movie title. It’s a scary flick

63. Fernando permalink
    14/07/2015 3:47 am

More symbols are truly incorporated with our lives and it needs our inner self to participate within our souls. Some of them do really gives luck. Fernando Lachica

64. Hui Zi permalink
    14/07/2015 4:50 am

Love the weekly photo challenge posts 🙂 Singapore’s Botanical Garden has just been announced by UNESCO to be a heritage site! I ought to pop by to take some photos before the tourists start flooding the place, haha.

65. Tiffany Yong permalink
    14/07/2015 10:42 am

Love the images of your trees. I have a friend who is crazy about trees, almost a tree-hugger. While I love hem, I don’t go gaga over them, maybe just at peace and at ease.

66. Sunshine Kelly permalink
    14/07/2015 6:09 pm

Trees is the nature created by God to provide us oxygen, shades, fruits, foods and many things. It the symbol of life, if we nurture and take care for it, it will continue to grow.

67. Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen permalink
    21/07/2015 5:36 am

I seldom see trees here in the city that’s why I love going to provinces. Great collection of photos of trees.

68. thequietgrove permalink
    06/08/2015 5:21 pm

Gorgeous pictures and thought about trees.

1. Photo Challenge; Symbol | tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
  2. Old Volcano | litadoolan

Kindly leave a meaningful comment. "Thanks for sharing" is NOT meaningful. Thank You!