20 TIPS: How To Stay Motivated & Mirthful

08/07/2015

“Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated.” Lou Holtz

20 TIPS: How To Stay Motivated And Mirthful

20 TIPS: How To Stay Motivated And Mirthful

1. Don’t Take Yourself too Seriously: Laugh at Your mistakes, failures and yourself often.
2. Be Kind to Yourself: If you eat that box of chocolates, celebrate it and then start your detox tomorrow
3. Express Gratitude for All You Have: Avoid complacency at all costs, as it is the enemy of motivation.
4. Surround Yourself with Laughter and Positive People: Add your brand of humor to your conversations
5. Don’t Compare Yourself to Others: Focus on your own game. That gorgeous guy/girl has issues they battle with too.
6. Believe in Yourself: It’s great to just be YOU! Look in the mirror; you are your competition, your cheerleader and your critic. Pick one C every day and conquer it.
7. Acknowledge Your Attributes: If you don’t rejoice over your fabulous baking skills or your great Zumba moves, who will? Dance away!

I think we all take ourselves too seriously on the road to success, and we need to be reminded to live a little and learn to laugh. I hope the 20 tips and accompanying stories above and below will add some mirth to your day… if not, you’re on your own!

A Story: Meaning of Happiness
An Englishman, a Frenchman, and a Russian were once discussing the meaning of true happiness.
The Englishman said, “True happiness, my friends, is rising early on a frosty autumn morning, getting on top of a good horse, and galloping off behind the hounds in pursuit of the fox. A hard ride over fields and fences and rivulets until the fox is brought down. A ride back with the ears and the tail and then sitting before a roaring fire with a glass of good port. Ah, that is true happiness.”
The Frenchman said, “That is not true happiness. That is merely animal pleasure. True happiness is meeting with the love of your life, having an intimate meal in a top-notch restaurant with champagne, and then retiring to a wonderful hotel room, where you can make frantic and impassioned love all night long. Ah, that is true happiness.”
The Russian said, “That is not true happiness. That is merely a good time. True happiness comes when you are sitting in your apartment after a hard day at the factory, your little Ivan on your knee, and reading your copy of ‘Pravda’. There comes a knock at the door. Three men in ill-fitting brown suits come storming in and say, ‘Stepan Stepanovich?’ and you say, ‘He lives in the room upstairs.’ Ah, that is true happiness.” via Happiness Humor

“When we are motivated by goals that have deep meaning, by dreams that need completion, by pure love that needs expressing, then we truly live.” Greg Anderson

20 TIPS: How To Stay Motivated And Mirthful

20 TIPS: How To Stay Motivated And Mirthful

8. Recognize Your Progress: Visualize achieving all your small goals and take one step at a time to achieve your big goals.
9. Set Realistic SMART Goals: Forgive yourself when you drop the ball: Create a vision-board and reward yourself when you achieve any of the visuals on it. Is it the car? Drive it. Is it skydiving on your bucket list? Go do it!
10. Think and Act Positively: If you feel down, pause and reflect on what is bothering you… Then seek out those funny friends to cheer you up.
11. Move Your Body: The endorphin rush we experience in exercise can do wonders for our mind, body and spirit.
12. Volunteer: Helping others will do wonders for your mood and make you feel so much better.
13. Enjoy the Occasional Indulgence: Eat good food and allow yourself some treats. Enjoy every bit of your indulgence with no pangs of guilt or regrets.
14. Do Things that Add to Your Mirth/Joy: Watch funny movies, read hilarious books and yes, entertain your family, friends, and the odd stranger with an occasional joke.

Imagine life without humor. What would that look like to you? Take the time to surround yourself with people, places, things that cheer you up. Life isn’t boring until we stop seeing how creative we can get to make the best of what we do have. Enjoy the story below.

A Story: The Dead Cat
A cat died and went to Heaven. God met her at the gates and said, “You have been a good cat all these years. Anything you want is yours for the asking.”
The cat thought for a minute and then said, “All my life I lived on a farm and slept on hard wooden floors. I would like a real fluffy pillow to sleep on.”
God said, “Say no more.” Instantly the cat had a huge fluffy pillow.
A few days later, six mice were killed in an accident and they all went to Heaven together. God met the mice at the gates with the same offer that He made to the cat.
The mice said, “Well, we have had to run all of our lives: from cats, dogs, and even people with brooms! If we could just have some little roller skates, we would not have to run again.”
God answered, “It is done.” All the mice had beautiful little roller skates.
About a week later, God decided to check on the cat. He found her sound asleep on her fluffy pillow. God gently awakened the cat and asked, “Is everything okay? How have you been doing? Are you happy?”
The cat replied, “Oh, it is WONDERFUL. I have never been so happy in my life. The pillow is so fluffy, and those little ‘Meals on Wheels’ you have been sending over are delicious!”

More below!
“I’m not motivated to entertain people through Twitter, so just by having Twitter and not saying anything, I make people mad.” Louis C. K.

20 TIPS: How To Stay Motivated And Mirthful

20 TIPS: How To Stay Motivated And Mirthful

15. Stay Focused and Strong about your Beliefs: They are your beliefs and who cares if we don’t like them. As long as they don’t include hurting others, you are good to go.
16. Press the “Worry Pause button” for a while: Put WORRY in a basket and send it on a long road trip. Why worry so much? Nothing changes when we worry. Do something about it by taking action to address the cause of your worries.
17. Love the Life You Have: Work to change the things that give you grief and laugh as often as you can… Stop sweating the small stuff… It’s only stuff.
18. Learn to Laugh: If you don’t learn to laugh, tears will be your companion.
19. Be Happy: Mirth means joy/happiness. Unless we make the effort to be mirthful and seek ways to enjoy life, it will always be out of reach – it’s a  choice!
20. Work, Play and Love Hard: Passion is temporary but, it sure gets the adrenaline going and who knows where it might lead you … down the yellow brick road?

Of course, we all experience challenges in our lives, and we can choose to pick up the pieces, find the light and humor in it, or stay miserable. It is a choice. Whether we laugh or cry, one thing is certain, humor is better for our soul. So, laugh a little more. Ha!

A Story: The Family Fortune
Dan was a single guy living at home with his father and working in the family business.
When he found out he was going to inherit a fortune when his sickly father died, he decided he needed to find a wife with whom to share his fortune.
One evening, at an investment meeting, he spotted the most beautiful woman he had ever seen.
Her natural beauty took his breath away. “I may look like just an ordinary guy,” he said to her, “But in just a few years my father will die and I will inherit $200 million.” Impressed, the woman asked for his business card and three days later, she became his stepmother.

Positive Motivation Tip: Find occasions to muster up funny moments  in your life.  Make time  to laugh … even if you don’t have any reason to do so… just laugh!

PHOTO CREDITS:  All Photos All Photos laughLOLCat, Rire, and Smiling man, via Wikipedia. Amazing Laughing Man by mused™ via Flickr

1. Robin Masshole mommy permalink
    08/07/2015 2:48 pm

It’s so important to be grateful and thankful for everything we have. Never take anything for granted.

2. Boho Chic permalink
    08/07/2015 2:56 pm

When I need motivation, I come to your website because you are the most motivating person I know. Thanks for the great tips on how to stay motivated. I needed this post today as I’m not feeling very motivated this week.

3. Patrice M Foster permalink
    08/07/2015 3:13 pm

Love this made me laugh feel motivated and thanks for great tips.

4. Tisha Berg permalink
    08/07/2015 4:22 pm

Great motivation and inspirational words for the day Elizabeth. Those stories made me smile! But The Family Fortune was my favorite – made me chuckle out loud 🙂 I think I’ll have to share that one, if you don’t mind.

5. asbestrecipes permalink
    08/07/2015 5:30 pm

Staying happy is a myth we can be happy ery now and then but not all of the time life is about balance good days, bad days, unevenful days in my opinion.

• 09/07/2015 5:44 am

Adriana, it’s a choice we make and a belief system you have. I know people who choose to stay miserable even when their life is fine and vise versa. Be happy … stay happy… same difference. We can make joy, mirth, happiness part of our daily lives and look for the light in tough situations. Try it! 🙂

6. Liz Mays permalink
    08/07/2015 5:44 pm

I love the cat story with the meals on wheels. That made me giggle!

7. loisaltermark permalink
    08/07/2015 5:56 pm

What an empowering post! Humor definitely makes everything easier!

8. mythirtyspot permalink
    08/07/2015 8:27 pm

Love your posts. They are always so motivating and inspiring. Love the cat poem, it made my night. – Erin Kennedy

9. Shann Eva permalink
    08/07/2015 8:48 pm

Great tips! It is always so important to laugh and have fun. Nice post.

10. Gilliannong.com permalink
    08/07/2015 9:04 pm

Hmm.. motivation is something i lack at times.. Great tips though, it would come in handy

11. Susan Quackenbush permalink
    08/07/2015 9:42 pm

This is a lesson my son has been trying to teach me for many years. I definitely need to learn to stay on track and still enjoy life! Thank you for sharing this wonderful information with us! 🙂

12. 08/07/2015 10:32 pm

Really fun stories, you hit the nail on the head!

13. 08/07/2015 11:33 pm

20 tips to add myrth to our day. I think all these tips are great, Elizabeth. Thank you for bringing so many positive thoughts to my day! 🙂

14. Pat Fenner permalink
    09/07/2015 4:43 am

LOTS to chew on, here! Bookmarked this for when I’ll need the reminder in the future…and I’m sure I will 😉
    Thanks for sharing this!

15. EverythingMomandBaby (@MamaAsh77) permalink
    09/07/2015 5:20 am

I’m hoping I’ll be motivated to shed the last 50 pounds! I love your posts.

16. Nova permalink
    09/07/2015 5:41 am

This is a great article to read, sometimes we don’t take our life too seriously, we have life to live and enjoy it and not to waste anything that would make us down for good. there might be ups and downs but that’s just part of it.

17. Rosey permalink
    09/07/2015 6:28 am

Oh my goodness on that last one. I laughed but still, oy! Wishing you a wonderful, motivated, productive day. 🙂

18. Scott permalink
    09/07/2015 6:43 am

I definitely agree about the volunteer part. I volunteer at a local blood bank once a week and always feel great about it when I leave the building.

19. toughlove100 permalink
    09/07/2015 7:02 am

Keeping positive people around me is a big one. My sister has been a Debbie Downer lately and it is hard to keep a positive attitude when around her.

20. fabmomblog permalink
    09/07/2015 7:11 am

This post made me laugh a bit. I always enjoy your posts.

21. Rebel Sweetheart permalink
    09/07/2015 7:18 am

Great tips! I love surrounding myself with fun, positive people. 🙂

22. Esme Sy permalink
    09/07/2015 7:37 am

I love all your motivational tips. I really need to follow some of them, especially number 1. People around me say that I need to loosen up.

23. The Trophy WifeStyle permalink
    09/07/2015 7:47 am

Omg yes! Love this. I’m all about laughing at myself! If you can’t laugh at yourself then you will never survive in life. You have to learn to not take things so seriously and to just go with it!

24. 09/07/2015 9:46 am

Reblogged this on A.R. Román and commented:
    “If you don’t rejoice over your fabulous baking skills or your great Zumba moves, who will? Dance away!”

25. betchai permalink
    09/07/2015 10:26 am

laughing here, so love your post, and cracked most especially at number 2 since it is so me, 🙂 my weakness is chocolates ( and I mean the sweet ones, not the dark one), and if I finish a box, I don’t feel guilty, I would just hike or run away, same thing when I finish a box of donut, I can’t blame myself for finishing a box of donut when it already happened, I will just burn the sugar away by hiking, or swimming, or whatever, then, I get to enjoy more. But of course, I try my best not to finish a box of chocolates or donuts often 🙂 Anyway, love all the 20 thoughts.

26. Carly Brydon Anderson permalink
    09/07/2015 10:42 am

I love that first photo – it makes me smile! And your posts are always so motivational – love them!

27. sicorra permalink
    09/07/2015 12:46 pm

Elizabeth, These stories are hilarious. Love the cat one, and the stepmother one. So funny!!

28. Nicole @ Fitful Focus permalink
    09/07/2015 12:54 pm

What great tips and such fun stories! It is so important to stay happy and to find a drive in life.

29. Kathryn @ Dancing to Running permalink
    09/07/2015 1:12 pm

Its so important to stay true to yourself and your beliefs. Never change just to please somebody else.

09/07/2015 2:10 pm

I would really like to keep a smile on my face the whole day if I could. Smiling makes me feel very positive and keeps away negative thoughts. Smiling and laughing are really the best medicine. – Fred

31. amanda permalink
    09/07/2015 2:38 pm

You are so right in linking together positive thoughts and feelings along with motivation. For if you aren’t getting joy or happiness out of something, you are not motivated to continue on.

32. Jeanine permalink
    09/07/2015 3:13 pm

I definitely need this. I am having such a hard time staying motivated lately, it’s awful. This is great!

33. Sharon Ulery Ruggieri permalink
    09/07/2015 3:52 pm

Meal on wheels with the mice, LOL! I try really, and I mean REALLY hard to keep laughter in my life

34. cassi9879b permalink
    09/07/2015 4:16 pm

I liked the dead cat story the best. I snorted at it!

35. Pam permalink
    09/07/2015 4:18 pm

I loved this post. I especially loved the story about the family fortune. Now that is one smart woman. 😉

36. April permalink
    09/07/2015 5:18 pm

Great sentiments. I am starting to actively remind myself of all the good I have in my life.

37. SweetMemoirs Page permalink
    09/07/2015 6:13 pm

My daily motivation is this: Work Hard, Play Harder. I always look forward to play harder. 😀

38. MamaRUNSforcupcakes permalink
    09/07/2015 6:32 pm

Wow, what a cool post!! Thank you!

39. carmyy permalink
    09/07/2015 7:01 pm

smart goals are the best. so many people fail when extremely lofty goals are made…

40. Michelle F. permalink
    09/07/2015 7:16 pm

Those are some great tips. I love to surround myself with positive people.

41. Krystal's Kitsch permalink
    09/07/2015 9:21 pm

I am trying to set more goals and be more intentional with my time. Smart and measurable goals are great.

42. tonygreene113 permalink
    09/07/2015 9:28 pm

The cat story is a really fun and exciting read. Keeping the blahs away especially if things are always looking dim, is a constant struggle.

43. tonygreene113 permalink
    09/07/2015 9:29 pm

Keeping the blahs away is a constant struggle these days. Thanks for the cat story.

44. Heather permalink
    09/07/2015 9:54 pm

I’m not sure I understand that happiness story, I guess maybe its just that happiness is different for everyone? But as far as what I know I need to do to remain happy is not set unrealistic goals. I have a big problem with over scheduling myself and not saying no.

45. Ling Tan permalink
    10/07/2015 12:55 am

Oh thanks for the list of quotes! Even the best of us gets worn down sometimes… important to shake it off, and move on, always.

46. Pooja Kawatra Gupta permalink
    10/07/2015 1:47 am

Your sweet little stories not only motivates but always brings smile on my face as every topic has something for us to relate in our day to day life. I feel if i am positive from inside i feel motivated to do a lot.

47. Stephanie Pass permalink
    10/07/2015 1:56 am

Lol, I loved the family fortune story. So funny!

48. Jason Young permalink
    10/07/2015 2:02 am

all great. #3 is my favorite.

49. R U S S permalink
    10/07/2015 3:48 am

One very important thing in staying motivated is that we shouldn’t be too hard on ourselves and that would mean to not worry all the time. It will help keep us focused and not get jaded by things that we shouldnt be worrying about.

50. jillconyers permalink
    10/07/2015 3:54 am

So many great concepts! You’ve covered motivation and mindfulness well.

51. Lisa Rios permalink
    10/07/2015 3:59 am

Really a very inspirational and motivational post with some wonderful pictures like you always do. I agree that it is so important to stay true to yourself and to your beliefs. Thanks for the great tips as well.

52. JessicaACassidy (@wifetoalineman) permalink
    10/07/2015 4:52 am

I LOVED the sticking out of the tongue, that cracks me up. Your post always put a smile on my face and hope that I am motivated to work out. I missed doing it so badly but my right arm is in pain.

53. sriches permalink
    10/07/2015 5:03 am

Such great tips and they are so very true. The main one for me is ‘believe in yourself’ – you can do anything you put your mind to, you really can and when you are on track, you do just go for it!x

54. Rachel @RunningRachel permalink
    10/07/2015 5:11 am

Great tips. I think being positive is the most effective! 🙂

55. JessicaACassidy (@wifetoalineman) permalink
    10/07/2015 5:49 am

Purrfect the cat is so adorable. He can motivate me more to enjoy life and have fun.

56. Beth@FrugalFroggie permalink
    10/07/2015 5:53 am

I am the first one to laugh at myself. I love having a great sense of humor. Helps my mental well-being.

57. Sunshine Kelly permalink
    10/07/2015 8:01 am

Thanks for the motivational tips. It constantly reminds me to look at the brighter side of life whenever we face challenges.

58. 3sonshaveie permalink
    10/07/2015 8:05 am

OMG! Th photo is adorable. Thanks for the message

59. Papaleng Pagulong permalink
    10/07/2015 8:33 am

Great tips to ponder about. Summing up I guess being motivated is knowing your attributes and believing in yourself.

60. Chubskulit Rose permalink
    10/07/2015 8:55 am

The kitty’s picture maes me smil o hank you so much for sharing!

61. 10/07/2015 9:26 am

I always try to stay positive and keep positive people around me. Thanks for the tips.

62. MyStarlightBlessings (@mystarlight22) permalink
    10/07/2015 9:40 am

Such an uplifting post! Happiness starts with loving yourself and not being too hard on yourself. The people you surround yourself with are a huge impact too. Of coarse humor definitely helps 🙂

63. Louise ღ (@louisechelle) permalink
    10/07/2015 9:41 am

Being motivated really affects the way we live every day or the way we look at life and the tips you have given above are basically everything a person should remember at times he or she is loosing it.

64. Papaleng Pagulong permalink
    10/07/2015 10:19 am

The story about the 3 Men is something to reflect on.

65. Nicol Wong (@yuk_lui) permalink
    10/07/2015 10:27 am

amen to the don’t take yourself seriously! it makes things a lot more enjoyable

66. Jamie permalink
    10/07/2015 12:18 pm

Laughing at myself has been a HUGE win for me. If I can either laugh or cry, I try to choose laughter. 🙂

67. Shannon P permalink
    10/07/2015 12:24 pm

The not comparing myself to other moms is SO hard but makes my life so much less stressful when I dont!

68. Artney @ My Pretty Brown permalink
    10/07/2015 1:01 pm

Such a great list! I need to pin it to my wall!

69. Mrs. Jilly Fisher permalink
    10/07/2015 1:14 pm

These are all amazing tips. I especially try to surround myself with positive people. I can’t believe how much my life has changed since I got rid of toxic people in my life.

70. Boho Chic (@TotallyTerris) permalink
    10/07/2015 1:23 pm

Thanks so much for your useful tips. “1. Don’t Take Yourself too Seriously: Laugh at Your mistakes, failures and yourself often.” sounds like me, I’m always making mistakes and I just laugh about it because I’m such a goof off :).

71. martinkadelux permalink
    10/07/2015 1:44 pm

I just printed this out! Thank you!

1. Don’t Take Yourself too Seriously
    2. Be Kind to Yourself
    3. Express Gratitude for All You Have
    4. Surround Yourself with Laughter and Positive People
    5. Don’t Compare Yourself to Others
    6. Believe in Yourself
    7. Acknowledge Your Attributes

72. Jeska permalink
    10/07/2015 3:13 pm

“Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated.” Lou Holtz I don’t think there could be a more perfect quote for this!

73. Teresa Martinez permalink
    10/07/2015 9:34 pm

Once we lose our motivation for anything, the capability to get things done becomes a big problem.

74. Khushboo permalink
    10/07/2015 10:34 pm

Loved all your wonderful tips Elizabeth! I am definitely going to make an attempt to follow as many as I can 🙂

75. Lexie Lane permalink
    11/07/2015 12:56 am

These are all motivational and great ways to think positive. Love the Louis C.K. quote. He’s great!

76. Yona Williams permalink
    11/07/2015 5:16 am

Great tips for how to stay happy – I truly believe that happiness is like a fountain of youth.

77. Sabrina @ Dinner, then Dessert permalink
    11/07/2015 7:48 am

For motivation I think of my kids! They drive me to push through all of my obstacles!

78. shonda permalink
    11/07/2015 3:36 pm

Thanks for the reminder to simply like yourself and show some gratitude. Be positive and spread it to others.

79. ronleyba (@ronley_ph) permalink
    11/07/2015 6:23 pm

Best tips ever! Need them today! Thank you for this!

80. Jason Panuelos permalink
    11/07/2015 6:49 pm

I couldn’t agree with this more! We need to always have motivation to be able to make the most out of everything! 😀

81. MrsTee permalink
    11/07/2015 8:07 pm

Great Tips! I definitely try not to take myself to seriously. I find learning how to laugh at myself can often take away the stress and pressure or a situation.

82. The *New* Classy (@TheNewClassy) permalink
    11/07/2015 8:35 pm

Surrounding yourself with positive people is so important. I have been working hard to distance myself from the negative people in my life the past few years.

83. I Love Paars by: Lee permalink
    12/07/2015 2:53 am

Being positive is not that easy if ypou have tons of problems. Its easy said than done. I try to be optimistic as much as possible so I can be abnle to think logically

84. Agata @ BarkTime (@AgataPokutycka) permalink
    12/07/2015 4:44 am

I think being kind to yourself is a key!
    Great selection of tips; thank you

85. Sojourner Williams permalink
    12/07/2015 2:17 pm

Wonderful tips to live by. I try to always be grateful and to surround myself with positive and happy people.

86. Nova permalink
    12/07/2015 5:47 pm

This is a good way to remind us that life is too short, we should make the most of it and laugh at our mistakes,

87. kleebanks permalink
    12/07/2015 5:52 pm

Thanks so much for this list! I needed to read it – especially #8, #9, and #16!

88. verybusymama permalink
    13/07/2015 8:55 am

Being kind to yourself is SO important…that’s where many of us trip up.

89. gettingfitfab permalink
    13/07/2015 9:47 am

I always try and remind myself to be grateful for all the things I have because even though I may not have everything I have a lot more things than other people. ♥

90. Crystal From Tidbits of Experience permalink
    14/07/2015 6:18 pm

I love and admire all of these tips. If you follow them then you are sure to live a long and happy life.

91. Lainybelle permalink
    14/07/2015 9:27 pm

I always count my blessings each day, may it be big and small. The lease of life is more than enough manifestation to be grateful. Every waking hour is a gift that we should not all take for granted.

It’s a good reminder to be kind to oneself and also by learning to forgive ourselves. We can’t extend all these virtues to our fellowmen if we don’t know how to love ourselves.

Thank you for this inspiring post. Cheers!

92. Mommy Peach permalink
    16/07/2015 5:46 pm

LOL at The Family Fortune story. It’s really hard to motivate yourself but you have to do it if you want things to get done.

93. Mireille Roc (@ChefMireille) permalink
    19/07/2015 10:27 am

these are some greaat tips as I struggle with many of them

94. ktmommyscene permalink
    02/11/2017 3:57 pm

It’s good to set goals for yourself and practice contentment. Enjoy what you have, make memories, serve your friends and family.