Happy Father’s Day & International Yoga Day: 20 Things That Matter

21/06/2015
Spread the love
  • 277

“All great truths are simple in final analysis, and easily understood; if they are not, they are not great truths.” Napoleon Hill

Happy Father's & International Yoga Day: 20 Things That Matter - Happy Dads

Happy Father’s & International Yoga Day: 20 Things That Matter – Dads from Everywhere

1. Success is more than making money
2. Life is hard … and not always fair
3. Life is also fun … and incredibly funny
4. We live by Choice, not by chance
5. Attitude Is a Choice … the most important One you’ll ever make. Via Hal Urban’s Life’s Greatest Lessons: 20 Things That Matter

Happy Father’s Day and International Day of Yoga! I think both fit perfectly today, as we all need to think about ways to improve our health and family relationships on this very special occasion. To help us along, I picked up my copy of Hal Urban’s Life’s Greatest Lessons: 20 Things That Matter to share some words of wisdom with you. His book offers excellent insights on what truly matters when we think of Fatherhood, Parenthood, Health and Life. He wrote it in 1992, under a different title; 20 Things I Want My Kids to Know, as a special gift to his children (four sons). During a two year separation from his loved ones, Hal stayed in touch by writing weekly letters to his kids. He was committed to his plan and wrote the letters for two straight years. His effort paid off.

A few years later, Hal decided to create a book to capture the essence of his weekly letters. The response to his book was so great, it became a bestseller and a phenomenal success. Hal recognized the hunger people had for such grounded wisdom, so he tweaked the title and republished it again and again. The aphorisms in this inspiring book are a great gift to all of us who wish to form closer bonds with our loved ones. I have shared the 20 terrific pointers in block-quotes, above and below, and I hope the 20 Things That Matter will touch your heart as they did mine.

“By proclaiming 21 June as the International Day of Yoga, the General Assembly has recognized the holistic benefits of this timeless practice and its inherent compatibility with the principles and values of the United Nations.” Ban Ki-moon, United Nations Secretary-General

Happy Father's & International Yoga Day: 20 Things That Matter -  Day of Yoga

Happy Father’s & International Yoga Day: 20 Things That Matter – Day of Yoga

Yoga With Adrienne: Day 10 – 10 min Sun Salutation Practice -30 Days of Yoga

6. Habits are the key to all success
7. Being thankful is a habit … the best one you’ll ever have
8. Good people build their lives on a foundation of respect
9. Honesty is still the best policy
10. Kind words cost little but accomplish much

On December 11 2014, the United Nations recognized the universal appeal of Yoga and declared June 21 as the International Day of Yoga. This is the first year that we are celebrating Yoga, with the UN as an endorser, and its global appeal is not to be overlooked. While some have tried to dismiss Yoga as a religious practice, its holistic benefits can be and have been enjoyed by people from all walks of life. You can start a simple practice today and build on it; Yoga is not just the reserve of practitioners and pundits. For starters, take a moment to enjoy the 10 minutes Salutation to The Sun – Surya Namaskar sequences above.  Adrienne is a gifted teacher who knows how to connect with people at all levels and abilities. If you’ve ever wanted a simple introduction to Hatha Yoga, try checking out her YouTube videos.

“Let us do our best to gather together with other devotees, friends and family and practice some yoga together for the sake of world peace and Mother Nature.” Amma

Happy Father's & International Yoga Day: 20 Things That Matter - May Peace prevail

Happy Father’s & International Yoga Day: 20 Things That Matter – May Peace prevail

11. Real Motivation comes from within
12. Goals are dreams with deadlines
13. There’s no substitute for hard work
14. You have to give up something to get something
15. Successful people don’t find time … they make time

The Mata Amritanandamayi Centers (M.A. Centers) of North America are encouraging us to enjoy this auspicious day by trying some simple, easy-to-do movements. Amma has always been an influential figure in international peace efforts and her participation, as an advocate for the UN declaration on Yoga, was helpful to the creation of this great celebratory day. A few days ago,k Amma said, “It is such a great step the United Nations has taken to acknowledge the value of the ancient practice of Yoga. Let us do our best to gather together with other devotees, friends and family and practice some yoga together for the sake of world peace and Mother Nature.”  She has also suggested we try to do something today: 12 minutes of singing/a chant, 7 minutes of Sun Salutation, 8 minutes of 4 simple yoga postures/asanas, 2 minutes of rest/Shavasana pose, a Nature walk with our children, a 10 minutes discussion on how body, mind and nature are connected and a conversation about how important it is to keep a focused mind in all we do. Give it a try or do your own variation on same and enjoy the company of your loved ones on this special day. Happy Father’s Day & Happy International Yoga Day!

“Life is a succession of Lessons that have to be lived to be understood.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happy Father's & International Yoga Day: 20 Things That Matter -  Health  & Family

Happy Father’s & International Yoga Day: 20 Things That Matter – Health & Family

Happy Father's & International Yoga Day: 20 Things That Matter - Collage

Happy Father’s & International Yoga Day: 20 Things That Matter – Collage

16. No one else can raise your self-esteem
17. The body needs nutrition and exercise … so do the mind and spirit
18. It’s okay to fail … everyone else has
19. Life is simpler when we know what’s essential
20. Essential #1 is being a good person. Via Hal Urban’s Life’s Greatest Lessons: 20 Things That Matter

As the saying by William Shakespeare goes, “It is a wise father that knows his own child.” We are all someone’s child, and the wisdom we receive from our guardians carry us into adult life. Even if our father figures were missing, we probably had others, including moms/caregivers, we turned to for wisdom. In the first chapter of Hal’s book: Life’s Greatest Lessons: 20 Things That Matter, he shares four reasons why he wrote the book: He said (1) We’re never too young or old to learn life lessons and the time is right now. (2) They don’t teach life’s essentials or how life works at school. (3) Most of us need help to discover how good we can be and (4) Old fashioned truth never goes out of style; even for Generation X in the millennial. I concur. There are basic truths to living a healthy and happy life, and these are universal truths that we can’t quibble over. On this day, may you find peace, joy and love in things that truly matter. Here’s to a Happy Father’s Day & Happy International Yoga Day!

Positive Motivation Tip:  Our health and loved ones are precious parts of our lives. Make time to celebrate Father’s Day and get some simple stretches in while you’re at it. Cherish the connections!

More Wellness Boosters/Affirmations & Resources

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos  on Father’s Day from my Personal Collection and Father’s Day, Wikipedia. Yoga sign, Yoga photos  via Wikipedia

1. R U S S permalink
    21/06/2015 3:36 pm

I wish my dad were more present in our lives as we were growing up. My life lessons and guidance came mostly from my Mom who stood both as a father and mother to my brother and I. She’s always taught us to stand up for what we believe in, to respect others, and to always be the best no matter how small a task is 🙂

2. Jessica Beal Harlow permalink
    21/06/2015 6:56 pm

I love the idea of writing our children weekly letters to share with them what we have learned. Turning it into a book is a wonderful idea to share with everyone!

• Jillian Fisher permalink
      25/06/2015 12:06 am

I agree. That is something I want to start doing soon.

3. 3sonshavei permalink
    21/06/2015 8:55 pm

A great day to celebrate connections pairing yoga and Fathers

4. tonygreene113 permalink
    21/06/2015 9:02 pm

Today was definitely a good day to get started on the yoga plan. Way too much food consumed at Father’s Day meal.

5. Michelle hwee permalink
    21/06/2015 9:03 pm

Absolutely loved this <3 Great post combining both Father's Day and yoga!

6. michelle co permalink
    21/06/2015 9:22 pm

Its nice to see people honoring their parents. I just hope this can be an everyday thing.

7. ronleyba permalink
    21/06/2015 9:46 pm

Happy Father’s day to all dads and single moms who are acting like DADs to their kid(s) too. Thanks for this very special post by the way.

8. MrsTee permalink
    21/06/2015 9:57 pm

I took yoga back in High School and have been wanting to take it again recently. Thanks for the motivation to look into it a bit more seriously.

9. 21/06/2015 10:25 pm

Thank you Eliz, number six is something I’ve never thought about until now.

10. joy permalink
    21/06/2015 11:33 pm

Real Motivation comes from within – this is so true, success can be reached if one is really motivated.

Hope you had a great time your dad on Father’s day 🙂

11. auditor54 permalink
    22/06/2015 2:17 am

Nice words … if the world lived like this it would be a better place. The Matrix does its best to to hinder this –

12. 22/06/2015 4:12 am

I always feel so enriched when I read your posts – you are fantabulous!

13. John Lopez permalink
    22/06/2015 6:12 am

Aww, this is really true, Im proud because Im a father of two kids and you are right life is hard but you can make it happy family.

14. Carol Cassara permalink
    22/06/2015 6:55 am

I didn’t know there was a day. Lovely photos and images, though!

15. Rosey permalink
    22/06/2015 8:07 am

This is a nice post. I didn’t have a father in my life but like you said there were other examples that took his place.

16. Boho Chic permalink
    22/06/2015 8:13 am

I didn’t even realize that there was an International Yoga Day. I wish my dad would start doing yoga as I have because he isn’t getting any younger and has a lot of stress from his work.

17. klg1982 permalink
    22/06/2015 11:36 am

yoga and dads. two things that should be celebrated! Love them both!

18. LifeAsAConvert permalink
    22/06/2015 4:13 pm

I didn’t know it was international yoga day. I used to do yoga more, but haven’t been much lately.

19. Mommy Peach permalink
    22/06/2015 4:15 pm

I didn’t know it was International Yoga day as well! I think these two celebrations go well together too!

20. Nova permalink
    22/06/2015 5:29 pm

It would be perfect to bring our Father on International Yoga day too event, this would bond the children and the father itself in a healthier ways.

21. Stephanie Pass permalink
    22/06/2015 6:41 pm

I have never tried yoga, but I think I’d love to see what it can do for my body.

22. laurenpaintsflorida permalink
    22/06/2015 9:08 pm

What an awesome day! I love yoga and need to start practicing daily again! 🙂

23. JessicaACassidy permalink
    23/06/2015 3:26 am

I admire people who do yoga. Their body is so flexible,

24. Chanel Marie permalink
    23/06/2015 5:42 am

Didn’t know that Father’s Day and International Yoga Day are celebrated together in June until yesterday! ^_^

25. Papaleng Pagulong permalink
    23/06/2015 6:59 am

Very inspiring post with awesome photos. Nice ideas to live by specially that ” Good people build their lives on a foundation of respect”.

26. Kathleen Bailey permalink
    23/06/2015 7:27 am

I didn’t know about the International Day of Yoga but it’s the Summer Solstice too. I love the 20 things that matter, I need those framed in my room.

27. Becka permalink
    23/06/2015 8:05 am

I would love to see my dad attempt yoga or my husband it would be quite funny either way. I could return the laugh by showing some of my yoga moves off. 🙂

28. foundfrolicking permalink
    23/06/2015 8:24 am

I tried yoga once and wasn’t crazy about it, but it may have been the type of yoga that wasn’t right for me. I’ve been meaning to try again!

29. Elizabeth Towns permalink
    23/06/2015 8:46 am

Yes! Happy Father’s Day and yes to Yoga. I would love a 30-day 10 minute a day yoga challenge.

30. gratefulheartyoga permalink
    23/06/2015 3:06 pm

This was such a special day! Also love your motivation tip!

31. wendyistakingthelongwayhome permalink
    23/06/2015 4:10 pm

I had no idea that it was International Yoga Day! I feel like a bad yogi!

32. Rebecca Swenor permalink
    23/06/2015 4:15 pm

Yoga sounds good to me right now because I am sick and body aches. I need the positive energy to come in and negative to go out. The pictures of the flowers are so calming and I totally love the blue and pink lights incorporated into the pictures. Happy Father’s Day to all the fathers out there you have been there for us all. Thanks for sharing.,

33. Nicole @ Fitful Focus permalink
    23/06/2015 6:30 pm

I love these words. I celebrated International Yoga Day last year in Times Square, but I didn’t get to this year. I actually haven’t practiced in some time, but it’s always nice when I do!

34. Mar on the Run! permalink
    23/06/2015 6:33 pm

great post – love the connection between Father’s Day and International Yoga Day!

35. Pretty Little Grub permalink
    23/06/2015 6:51 pm

Probably if International Yoga Day was on Mothers day that would be an even bigger hit.

36. Liz Mays permalink
    23/06/2015 8:02 pm

I haven’t ever thought of the two of them together, but what a fun combo. I need to do a bit of yoga a day!

37. Heather permalink
    23/06/2015 8:07 pm

I love number five, attitude is a choice: “The most important one you’ll ever make.” That is so incredibly true…some people live bad lives just because they choose to be bitter and have a bad attitude. I couldn’t do that. Of course we all have bad days and let days get us down, but those days shouldn’t turn into weeks or months or years.

38. Maria Teresa Figuerres permalink
    23/06/2015 11:21 pm

I love how you’ve pinpointed the connection between yoga and Father’s Day. I never thought of that. We surely have to work on improving our health and our relationship with the ones we love.

39. Traveling Morion permalink
    23/06/2015 11:23 pm

thanks for sharing. the positive vibes of Yoga and the day of greatest father, yep, a good combo!

40. zatomlinson permalink
    24/06/2015 12:16 am

I had no idea there was even such a day for yoga. I learned something new.

41. Stephanie permalink
    24/06/2015 6:12 am

I love yoga, it brings me to a peaceful place, beautiful photos!

42. Kathryn permalink
    24/06/2015 6:16 am

Happy belated Father’s Day to all those who play a father role out there!

43. M.A. Donohue permalink
    24/06/2015 7:00 am

Father’s Day was hard for me this year but I did celebrate International Yoga Day which helped me a great deal!

44. Ay Lin permalink
    24/06/2015 8:18 am

Yoga & Dad! These two are way too comforting! 🙂

45. 24/06/2015 9:26 am

Love all the words of wisdom shared in this post. Father’s are so important in children’s lives. So grateful for my good husband and a father.

46. Rachel permalink
    24/06/2015 10:08 am

Nice combination. 🙂 Happy (late) yoga day!

47. Lisa Rios permalink
    24/06/2015 12:57 pm

Love those wonderful Father’s Day pictures you have shared here. Its great to learn more about International Yoga Day & those amazing pictures as well. I do agree, that Success is more than making money!

48. Toni Church permalink
    24/06/2015 4:18 pm

I love yoga!! And yes I believe attitude is a choice we have the ability to turn any situation into a good one or a bad one.

49. Lainy permalink
    24/06/2015 4:57 pm

I hope it was a fun and lovely day for you and your Dad.

I lost mine 12 years ago but it’s my husband’s first time to celebrate it this year. However, Father’s Day in Australia is celebrated every September. I need to think of coming up something simple for him to remember his first ever celebration as a Dad.

Thanks for this insightful post. I have never tried yoga but I know of some health buff friends who are enthusiasts. They do inspire me to try to keep fit and healthy.

It’s a pleasure to be here. See you around!

50. maggiesblog2 permalink
    24/06/2015 7:25 pm

I had no idea it was also National Yoga day! I love yoga!

51. Christina Aliperti permalink
    26/06/2015 5:37 pm

This sounds great. I have been meaning to get back into my fitness routine and yoga would be a great low impact option for me.

52. Abundant Journeys permalink
    26/06/2015 8:24 pm

What a great post for Father’s Day and I had no idea there was an International Day celebrating yoga.

53. Dawn McAlexander Crawford permalink
    27/06/2015 6:12 pm

I have been wanting to try yoga for sometime but I just don’t have the ability. Ever since I hurt my knee and ankle a few years back, yoga has been a no go for me.

54. elenasonnino permalink
    28/06/2015 6:15 am

Cannot wait to try that ten minute session! And #16 is a great reminder for me this week!

55. GiselleR permalink
    30/06/2015 11:58 am

Great list! All of these are so important but many are easily forgotten. Also, I LOVE Yoga with Adriene 😀

56. Claudette Esterine permalink
    14/08/2015 9:33 pm

Didn’t know at all that these two days we connected. We live and we learn!

1. Motivation Mondays: Father’s Day Matters | Mirth and Motivation