Super Bowl XLIX: Why Does It Matter?

01/02/2015

“Individual commitment to a group effort – that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.” Vince Lombardi

Super Bowl XLIX: Why Does It Matter?

Super Bowl XLIX: Why Does It Matter?

Today, at 6:30pm EST,  the American Football Conference (AFC) champions – New England Patriots and the National Football Conference (NFC) champions – Seattle Seahawks will meet at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Arizona  to play their final championship game of the 2014 season.  Regardless of which side wins and becomes the Super bowl Champions tonight, we will all gather, in the stadium or at home, to cheer them on. The  Seattle Seahawks  are the defending Superbowl Champions from last year; this is their 2nd Superbowl game. The  New England Patriots  are playing their 8th Superbowl Championship game.

Why does this matter? It matters because every season, communities of fans dust off their jerseys and head out for 5 months of games in snow, sleet, rain and shine, wins and losses, playoffs, team eliminations and finally a Superbowl champion. They teach the rest of us what team spirit means and how vital it is to everything we ultimately do.

Congratulations! New England Patriots (28) & Good Job! Seattle Seahawks (24) Super Bowl XLIX

National sports teams, in general, serve as microcosms of the larger community, and  the actions and effort of each individual, coupled by the support and contributions of the community, assures the success of the whole. Every successful community needs the consent and committed support of its members to grow and thrive. Today, we will see this premise in action as five critical facets of community building; community, common aspirations, the team/leaders, the fans and the team record come together to strengthen the efforts of the players. As we rally to lend our energy to the event, we will come together as one and for a few hours, we will set aside our differences and root for the teams

“Football is like life, it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority.” Vince Lombardi

Super Bowl XLIX: Why Does It Matter?

Super Bowl XLIX: Why Does It Matter?

In most parts of the world, the word football is another term for soccer. In the USA, the National Football League (NFL) oversees two conferences for Professional football players who excel at playing in this most popular and highly viewed American sport. The competitive drama, crazy commercials,  pre/post game shows, prognosticating talking heads analyzing strategies, plays, decisions, wall to wall TV coverage on multiple networks, gambling, fans, colorful uniforms and sports characters make it a favored pastime and regular Sunday/Monday fare for millions of Americans.  Tonight, we’ll get to see superlative sportsmanship and skill in action. I hope each of us will take something more away with us and one of them, I hope, should be that there is power in community, camaraderie, and excellence. Enjoy the game!

Positive Motivation Tip: Sports is a great way to connect, communicate and build community; join the party.

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos Super Bowl XLIX sign, Vince Lombardi Trophy, , via Wikipedia and/or via Flickr

1. 01/02/2015 2:35 pm

Come follow and check out my blog for what I have to say about the Super Bowl and take a poll on who you think will win!!!!!

2. 01/02/2015 2:38 pm

My favorite team is the Pittsburgh, today I’m rooting for Seattle Seahawks.

3. Masshole Mommy permalink
    01/02/2015 2:52 pm

It matters because my Patriots are in it and gonna win it. If they weren’t playing, I could not care less.

4. pumpkinsfan76 permalink
    01/02/2015 3:16 pm

I am not a really big football fan but I like that it is something most people look forward to. Thank you for sharing these inspirational quotes with us.

5. Ben Butler permalink
    01/02/2015 3:28 pm

It’s always a party on Super Bowl Sunday around here.

6. Susan SteMarie permalink
    01/02/2015 3:30 pm

You rock at looking into the beauty of the everyday and those special moments. xo

7. laura rubenstein permalink
    01/02/2015 4:07 pm

Thank you for this great article. I have always asked myself why the Super Bowl matters…

8. Mystic_Kitchen permalink
    01/02/2015 4:42 pm

We are not big game fans, but being from Washington state- we are rooting for the Seahawks! Thanks for sharing!

9. kathyssavings1 permalink
    01/02/2015 6:16 pm

I’m not honestly sure who I want to win the super bowl this year. My team didn’t make it but I do love the Patriots as well…but whoever wins I say congratulations to them! 😀

10. Aisha Kristine Chong permalink
    01/02/2015 7:56 pm

I’ve always knew people are so into superbowl though we don’t have anything like that in our country – but it is still fun!

11. Fi Ní Neachtáin permalink
    02/02/2015 1:03 am

We don’t have anything like the Super Bowl here in Ireland so I have to admit I’m a bit oblivious to it all. I love how supportive Americans are of their sports teams though!

12. 02/02/2015 5:28 am

My cousins who live in the US are huge football fans! 🙂

13. Ask Coach Donna permalink
    02/02/2015 7:26 am

It was soooo close! Seattle played a great, almost perfect game…until…

14. kourtneelynne permalink
    02/02/2015 10:28 am

Hahaha even though I’m not a fan of either team… It was still fun to watch! A tradition of anything!

15. 02/02/2015 10:47 am

I think there are lots of reasons it matters too. The dedication you mentioned is def. one. It’s just a nice way to let go, and socialize with others who too, love the game. I like the Super Bowl. 🙂

16. 02/02/2015 1:43 pm

I just really don’t like football at all. If I am subjected to listening to it for very long, I become combative and stressed. I generally stay in the other room when my husband is watching!

17. 02/02/2015 5:34 pm

My hubby and I aren’t really into sports but my dad is definitely into it and loves The Patriots.

18. lindamoffitt permalink
    02/02/2015 7:19 pm

I do not do football so to speak but i understand what your meaning is behind why it matters it brings people closer together but there is also situations where it can break them apart as in rival teams some people are VERY serious about there football

19. Tami @ ThisMomsDelight permalink
    02/02/2015 8:01 pm

My husband was rooting for the Patriots. Your take on football and how we should approach life is a viewpoint I had never thought of … and interesting.

20. 03/02/2015 5:27 am

This year I actually didn’t watch the Superbowl. It was the first of many.

21. lisa permalink
    03/02/2015 10:36 am

I have never been a sports fan. I didn’t know when the game was or who was playing.

22. 03/02/2015 11:14 am

I thought the Super Bowl game was highly entertaining, but that last play call was an incredible blunder in my opinion. I usually watch for the commercials, but I found them very depressing and not funny at all this year.

23. 04/02/2015 6:39 am

Big fan of the Superbowl, probably because I grew up in a family that has relatives in the US!

24. Ria Rosaura-Romero (@melandriaromero) permalink
    04/02/2015 6:46 am

i’m not a fan of football too but watch soccer from time to time, i have a friend who is so into it though.

25. 04/02/2015 9:33 am

Football and some sports. I’d admire the discipline these athletes have and imposed upon themselves. I’m a fan of athletes as they soared high in terms of commitment, dedication, hardwork, sacrifice and even passion!

26. barbara langley permalink
    04/02/2015 12:04 pm

I have friends and relatives who are huge fans of football,some are huge fans if hockey and a few basketball and soccer. Its a way to support the sport and the team. A way to celabrate something together. I dont realky follow any but know a bit because if famiky who do,

27. 04/02/2015 3:11 pm

I have no idea how the Games is played but it sure gets excited around this time of the year. I watch for the excitement and halftime performance

28. 05/02/2015 12:29 am

I used to watch the superbowl when I was still in the US just for the commercials. I haven’t check much of the commercials lately tho. 😀

29. sriches permalink
    05/02/2015 5:32 am

I tried to stay up and watch the SuperBowl last year but nope, time got the better of me – your football is more akin to our rugby in a way. Love to see men going full force into tackles – totally brutal.! Sim @ simslife.co.uk

30. franc permalink
    05/02/2015 7:26 am

Football gets millions of people stuck on following it. It’s a great way to unite people even if your rooting for different teams.

05/02/2015 7:29 am

This is the only American football game showed live in our country. It is how I learned about American football as well, watching Superbowls in the past. – Fred

32. Maggie King permalink
    05/02/2015 7:47 am

We watch the superbowl for the commercials!

33. 05/02/2015 7:58 am

I’ll be completely honest, the Superbowl ads are my favorite part.

34. 05/02/2015 8:05 am

Superbowl is a big thing over in the states, but here it’s really quiet. I love the Photobomb video that Chris Evans did with Jimmy Fallon though. It was hilarious!

35. 05/02/2015 9:15 am

I watch the Superbowl for the commercials =-)

36. 05/02/2015 10:57 am

I’m an Eagles fan living in New England… so I went with the Pats. Such a great game… it was super awesome with all the suspense!

37. 05/02/2015 6:35 pm

As an ignorer of all things football, I never thought of the Super Bowl in this way. You’re absolutely right. Great lessons can be learned from the sport.

38. leybainpublic permalink
    05/02/2015 11:05 pm

I am a regular writer for a football blog. And yes, football/NFL is the biggest sport ever at the US. FANS are really supporting their team at any way they can and the Super Bowl? it’s the biggest sporting US event ever. Great job for the PATS and BRADY for winning the title 🙂

39. Kylie permalink
    06/02/2015 1:05 am

Honestly, I didn’t follow this game updates.. But reading at your post make me grab a little thingy about the games!~

40. tumandok permalink
    06/02/2015 4:02 am

I enjoy a bit watching football in the TV, but I never stay long. I got no idea how do players play and also the scoring system. – Gi Camporazo.

41. Jason Panuelos permalink
    06/02/2015 6:12 am

Living in the Philippines, it really is a wonder why the Superbowl is such a huge deal and I learned a whole lot from this! Now I know! Haha! 🙂

42. sikat101 permalink
    06/02/2015 8:57 am

Superbowl is indeed a big event there! I can understand how everyone is rooting for their chosen team. I look forward to the ads and halftime performance. -katrina centeno

43. 06/02/2015 5:05 pm

WE are big football fans here. THe Super Bowl is a big deal in my house.

44. 09/02/2015 6:47 pm

I don’t know much about Super Bowl but I really hope you have a great time watching it 🙂

45. 09/02/2015 11:25 pm

I am really clueless about sports but anyway I hope the teams you are rooting for will win. Hihihih!

46. What Fatemah Say's permalink
    11/02/2015 5:15 am

wow this is a very informational post as know much i didnt knew much about what really super bowl was.

47. hannah gee permalink
    11/02/2015 5:48 am

The buzz around superbowl is crazy 🙂 it gets so many people involved which is fab! Enjoy!

Kindly leave a meaningful comment. "Thanks for sharing" is NOT meaningful. Thank You!