Weekly Photo Challenge: Depth

30/01/2015

It is not length of life, but depth of life. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Weekly Photo Challenge: Depth - Atlantic Ocean

Weekly Photo Challenge: Depth – Atlantic Ocean

According to String Theory, what appears to be empty space is actually a tumultuous ocean of strings vibrating at the precise frequencies that create the 4 dimensions you and I call height, width, depth and time. Roy H. Williams

I love today’s challenge because it forces us to dig deep and find that place of beauty and calm within and without. When we are at that place of deep reflection, then, when we look around and take in the magnificence of the world before us, we see our surroundings with new eyes. I love taking shots of scenery far, far away. Something about the depth of field it creates, makes me imagine what could be happening over there; whatever over there means. Above is the edge of the Atlantic Ocean and its distant view. My best friends mom was taking a walk along the edge and I love this moment where man meets nature; albeit a tree stump that must have been full of life once.

Weekly Photo Challenge: Depth - After a  Snowstorm

Weekly Photo Challenge: Depth – After a Snowstorm

Every time I look at this photo, it calms me. It’s the calm after the storm and the lonely student returns to her dorm. The focus is beyond what we can see and that is truly what depth means to me. I take lots of landscape and water/ocean shots and have shared some in the past. I will share some more over the weeks and months to come.

More Below
Depth of friendship does not depend on length of acquaintance. Rabindranath Tagore

Weekly Photo Challenge: Depth - On the way to school

Weekly Photo Challenge: Depth – On the way to school

I love Tagore’s quote because it captures the essence of this shot. Kids and friends on their way to school. The road curves and only time will tell where their journey will take them. Taking pictures of roads and the distance before us is another favorite of mine. Hope you enjoyed my amateur selections. I’m curious to see what you did. Also, if you follow the link below, you’ll get to see what my fellow WordPress bloggers showed for this challenge. Have a restful weekend!

My fellow bloggers were equally creative with their selections. Check out how others interpreted the theme below.

This post was inspired by a prompt from WP Daily Post: Weekly Photo Challenge: Depth Depth: Whether visually or emotionally, this week let’s dig (or dive) deep. This week, share with us your take on “depth” — you can take it literally, like me, by showing something (a dense forest, your lawn after a blizzard) that suggests volume, a distance between surface and bottom. Or go with a more figurative approach: use a deep color palette, play with your image’s depth of field, or highlight a person, a place, or an object to which you feel deeply connected. I look forward to seeing your photos!

Positive Motivation Tip: Dig deep and find that place of calm within. Then look around you and take in the magnificence of the world you see before you.

More Weekly Photo Challenge Posts

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos from my personal collection.

1. 30/01/2015 1:44 pm

Great choices for the Challenge! The first one is my favourite because besides the depth, it’s full of drama with the rough surf churning up the sand underneath it.

2. pumpkinsfan76 permalink
    30/01/2015 2:34 pm

I love these pictures and they are indeed calming. Thank you for sharing.

• 30/01/2015 5:24 pm

Thank you so much for checking in. I appreciate your visits. If you have a blog, do share it so I can return the visits. 🙂

• Mrs. Jilly Fisher permalink
        30/01/2015 10:58 pm

I agree. I am always in awe of your photographs.

3. Ben Butler permalink
    30/01/2015 3:30 pm

I am always so excited for Fridays. You take the best pictures ever!

• 30/01/2015 5:23 pm

Oh TY Ben! You are so kind. I’m very much an amateur working at getting better. ❤
      I love the challenges because they make me think and stretch my photography skills.

4. 3decades3kids permalink
    30/01/2015 3:44 pm

Your photos are absolutely beautiful and really have a lot of feeling to them. I love the winter snow scene..reminds me visiting my grandma’s house in the mountains..

5. kathyssavings1 permalink
    30/01/2015 4:42 pm

Beautiful photos! Depth is a great photo challenge. I honestly don’t know what I’d choose if I had that word. You did a great job on your post.

6. 30/01/2015 5:19 pm

Lovely as always Eliz!

7. Mystic_Kitchen permalink
    30/01/2015 6:25 pm

Beautiful photos! I especially like the beach scene! Thanks for sharing!

8. upliftingfam permalink
    30/01/2015 8:27 pm

Great photos. I love the snow storm but I’m from Texas and don’t see very much snow. It’s always pretty too look at but I hate driving in the mess.

9. Debbie Denny permalink
    30/01/2015 9:45 pm

These are beautiful. Love your choice.

10. 30/01/2015 10:14 pm

These are beautiful pictures!! I love the snow picture it is so calm and peaceful.

11. 30/01/2015 10:15 pm

These are beautiful pictures!! I especially love the snow one its so calm and peaceful.

12. 30/01/2015 11:02 pm

I love the second picture with its winter wonderland effect, it does look calming but lonely as well to me

13. Daniele Holmberg permalink
    31/01/2015 1:26 am

What amazing pictures! Great pictures for a photo challenge!😀

14. 31/01/2015 2:25 am

I love your quotes and your three takes on the different aspects of depth. As a non-photographer, I wouldn’t have seen past the depth of the ocean. I like how you took it someplace else.

• 01/02/2015 6:28 pm

Thank you so much. I often come to these challenges with no idea about what to show or say… it evolves as I think about it and look at my pictures. Thanks again!

15. 31/01/2015 4:00 am

Lovely photos!
    The snowstorm shot is my favorite. 🙂

16. bismah2010 permalink
    31/01/2015 4:47 am

These photos are all so beautiful! My favorite is the winter scene. It does look so calming and refreshing.

17. 31/01/2015 7:01 am

The snow scene is amazing. I can’t wait to see that one day. Many people like to cover more places and area, but I thought knowing something in depth is more important. Something you reminded today via this post.

• 31/01/2015 9:03 am

Thank you Tiffany. You are a person of great depth and that is also why the theme resonates with you. If you come to the US, let’s get together and dance in the snow. Hahaha! 😁

18. 31/01/2015 7:06 am

“Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation. Khalil Gibran” › I have always believed in quality over quantity. In anything that we do and in any relationship that we have, we need to make sure that we make others feel that they are valued. Life is too short, we’ll never know when our loved ones will leave us. This is where depth spells a huge difference between quality & quantity and as an example that’s been mentioned in this post, depth of friendship over length of acquaintance.

I love the your photos – they evoke emotions that I find touching. It’s quite an emotional week for me, so I can totally relate to everything you’ve written here.

• 31/01/2015 9:00 am

Dear Russ, I hope all is well and that the emotional turmoil will seek a home elsewhere. Your feedback is beautiful and equally touching. The last 4 years have been incredibly difficult for me, but faith, family, friends, writing and trusting God’s hand in my life has carried me through. Life is about ups and downs. One thing I know for sure is that for every sunset, there is a sunrise. Stay strong my friend. ❤

19. 31/01/2015 8:04 am

Beautiful pictures, full of life and storytelling.

I didn’t know the Williams quote about String Theory but I love the image it conjures.

‘The focus is beyond what we can see and that is truly what depth means to me’. Marvellous.

And the visual metaphor of the road in front of the children – just superb.

So well done!

20. What Fatemah Say's permalink
    31/01/2015 8:37 am

I love all the pictures especially the one with “after the snowstorm” theme.

21. 31/01/2015 10:48 am

These are great photos with a great theme. I love the Snowstorm & Way to School pictures so much, both expressing the story of some important events in our life.

22. Karen Dawkins (@karen_dawkins) permalink
    31/01/2015 10:53 am

These are my favorite types of photos! There’s movement in a deep photo that can’t be realized from a framed, “flat” shot. I love looking for fences, tree lines and power lines to give depth and dimension. Thanks for sharing yours.

23. 31/01/2015 5:08 pm

I wish I had good memories from After a Snowstorm. I live in Upstate NY, and after one, we have to worry about car accidents and freezing temperatures…like now – it’s bone cold here.

24. Pal Raine permalink
    31/01/2015 7:42 pm

Thank you so much for the tip. Really appreciate it! Also – must add – this is a great world out there that you must discover, for improving and discover!

25. papaleng007 permalink
    01/02/2015 12:00 am

you have hear another motivating photo challenge. As they say, Never count your natal years but instead learn how you grow with age.

26. 01/02/2015 6:39 am

The picture of the children going to school makes me feel nostalgic, and well it looks like a scene here in our locality.

I also love the quote about friendship. 😀 Ad Love. 😀

27. barbara langley permalink
    01/02/2015 8:52 am

Beautiful words and pictures. I love nature, there is always something amazing to see and reflect on. I have not had much time to travel to see all the beauty I would like,but still hopeful.

28. 01/02/2015 9:48 am

I love the variety of ways that depth is portrayed in these photographs. These are gorgeous pictures, Elizabeth. Thank you for sharing.

29. 01/02/2015 5:25 pm

Beautiful!

30. Linda Manns Linneman permalink
    01/02/2015 6:00 pm

I really enjoyed your pictures and your articles. A picture is worth a thousand words. Thank you for sharing

31. 01/02/2015 7:33 pm

Another photo challenge post which is inspiring. Thanks sharing, Elizabeth..

32. 01/02/2015 7:34 pm

Another post with photo challenge. You have very beautiful photos. Thanks sharing, Elizabeth.

33. maggiesblog2 permalink
    01/02/2015 8:11 pm

These pictures are calming! I love the calm before a storm too!

34. Liz Mays permalink
    01/02/2015 8:20 pm

I love the different perspectives in each of the photos. These are lovely.

35. Nanda Reis permalink
    01/02/2015 9:04 pm

You really have talent with words. The pictures you choose for this article are stunning. They tell it all, they transmit feelings.

36. 01/02/2015 9:21 pm

Such beautful photos, as usual. The winter one is my favorite… it kind of looks like that here.

37. Sunshine Kelly permalink
    02/02/2015 12:20 am

Depth to me signifies things and moments that touch my heart. Well sometimes we failed to really look the good around us, we only complaint about things that is not right. There are many beautiful things surround us actually.

02/02/2015 12:47 am

What a beautiful photograph that one After the Snowstorm. I am mesmerized by its image, so much depth and beauty!

39. franck permalink
    02/02/2015 1:56 am

We should really go for depth in experience, friendship and in other aspects. I guess it’s those moments that we remember and cherish life better.

40. ♥ RUBZ ♥ (@rubzonline) permalink
    02/02/2015 5:26 am

Thank you for sharing these wonderful pictures. I liked “After a Snowstorm” the best!

41. Elana Khong permalink
    02/02/2015 7:02 am

Your pictures speak a thousand words. Depth? Hmm.. you do got me ponder!

42. yuhjiun permalink
    02/02/2015 7:10 am

Love all your photos! Thank you for sharing 😀

43. 02/02/2015 9:42 am

Gorgeous pictures! I love the snowy one the best.

44. yumeating permalink
    02/02/2015 11:09 am

I love the After a Snowstorm. Amazing. I should have went out an took some of my property after last nights storm. Now the snow plow guy is here pushing it all over. LOL

45. Vanessa permalink
    02/02/2015 11:16 am

Speaking of depth, I would like to post my favorite quote here, it is not important how many times we take a breath but how many moments take our breath away. I also love taking pictures of roads and your suggested pic is so beautiful.

46. 02/02/2015 12:59 pm

As always Elizabeth your photos have a way of telling a story. I find the snow one calming as well. I think how clean and quite snow makes the world has a lot to do with it..

47. Karen of MrsLookingGood permalink
    03/02/2015 9:34 pm

Oh I wish I can take photos as good as you! This is something I would love to learn when taking photographs: depth of field, bokeh, scale, etc. I’m still at the point-and-shoot type of taking photos even though I’ve bought an old DSLR.

I’m seeing a handful of my friends do the photo challenge and I truly enjoy each and every photo presented, yours and my friends!

48. Kylie permalink
    04/02/2015 12:18 am

The path and journey in the photos are wonderful.. I love the one after snow storm…

1. Weekly Photo Challenge: Depth (Gardenfest part 1) | small house/BIG GARDEN
  2. Weekly Photo Challenge: Depth | The Panama Adventure
  3. Weekly Photo Challenge: Depth – Say It With A Camera
  4. Weekly Photo Challenge: Depth – Photography From North Wales
  5. Photo Challenge: Depth | Likeitiz
  6. “Depth” Weekly Photo Challenge | The Bohemian Rock Star's "Untitled Project"

Kindly leave a meaningful comment. "Thanks for sharing" is NOT meaningful. Thank You!