Halloween Humor: 10 Things To Do If You Don’t Celebrate It

29/10/2014

“Halloween was confusing. All my life my parents said, “Never take candy from strangers.” And then they dressed me up and said, “Go beg for it.” I didn’t know what to do! I’d knock on people’s doors and go, “Trick or treat.” “No thank you.” Rita Rudner

Halloween Humor: 10 Things To Do If You Don't Celebrate It

Halloween Humor: 10 Things To Do If You Don’t Celebrate It – I feel hollow Inside…

1. Option #1 – Leave town
2. Option #2 – Draw the blinds and act as if you’ve left town.
3. Option #3 – Come clean and tell everyone … to put it mildly: “Enough Already!”
4. Option #4 – Tell the kids: “We dress up as ducks or we stay home!”

For those of you/us who don’t celebrate Halloween, it’s a day to chill out and put on your best smile. You might wonder why so many people get into the “spirit” of this one day hurrah. The celebration goes back to 1745 and means Holy Evening. It’s celebrated on the evening before All Hallows Day which is also known as All Saints Day. Hence the name: Halloween! So the demons and devils come out to play for one last night, before they get kicked back to the dungeon where they belong. Ha!

People love the fear factor attached to this day and you see many kooky manifestations of it; from creepy food to ghoulish outfits. It taps into that strong human emotion – FEAR!  H P Lovecraft said it well. “The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” If you are over it already, I’ve shared a few tips, above and below, to help you survive.

“I see my face in the mirror and go, ‘I’m a Halloween costume? That’s what they think of me?” Drew Carey

Halloween Humor: 10 Things To Do If You Don't Celebrate It

Halloween Humor: 10 Things To Do If You Don’t Celebrate It – I haven’t felt alive in years!

5. Option #5 – Put a bowl of Candy Corn outside with a note: “Made In 1911!”
6. Option #6 – Post a sign in front of your home saying: We don’t give ANYTHING to dead people
7. Option #7 – Keep Brutus at your front gate with a sign: “You wanna be DINNER?” No ghouls, zombies or brats tolerated.

What was the worst experience you ever had during Halloween? I’ve read stories of people being chased by aggressive dogs or angry homeowners passing out rotten candy.  Sometimes, people in dark corners are mistaken for the real thing or vise versa… Vise versa!?  Yep.  There have been countless tales of real ghosts mingling with humans on this dark night of the soul. You might have encountered one without knowing it or heard stories of people who did. Here’s a quick story to prove it.

Five friends were walking home after a Halloween party. They decided to cut through a cemetery to get home faster. As they walked across it, they heard loud banging noises and a voice complaining. Out of curiosity, they approached and saw a dark form which made them jump. A loud voice said “What do you want?” They composed themselves and walked up to an older man chipping away at a headstone with a hammer. “You almost scared us to death,” one of the five said as the others laughed. ” Why are you here!?”  They asked in unison. “My family members are a bunch of idiots! They mis-spelled my name, so I had to climb out to fix it.” said the old man glaring at them. HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

More BELOW!

“If human beings had genuine courage, they’d wear their costumes every day of the year, not just on Halloween.” Douglas Coupland

Halloween Humor: 10 Things To Do If You Don't Celebrate It - I feel stretched

Halloween Humor: 10 Things To Do If You Don’t Celebrate It – I feel stretched

Halloween Humor: 10 Things To Do If You Don't Celebrate It

Halloween Humor: 10 Things To Do If You Don’t Celebrate It – I feel disconnected

“When I was a kid my family was really poor and I remember one Halloween I wanted to dress up really scary and my parents came home with a duck costume. I wore that costume for years! I hated it.” R.L. Stine

8. Option #8 – I’ve run out of gas, you write the rest…
9. Option #9 – (your lame joke here) Invite friends over for a Non-Halloween Party
10.Option #10- (your lame joke here) Mail a letter to your neighbors explaining why anything to do with ghouls, monsters and painted pumpkins gives you the creeps.

I hope you had a few laughs at some of these corny jokes. Feel free to add some of your own jokes in the comments. If not, too bad. Boo to you! Must dash now, I have a few episodes of Housewives of Atlanta and New Jersey to watch. As Dena Manzo says in the opening… ” Namaste B#654#s! Happy Halloween!

Positive Motivation Tip: Enjoy the evening but watch your back… All will be well.

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos: glowing pumpkin, headstones, Turnip head from Wikipedia.

1. aimee (@HouseofFaucis) permalink
    31/10/2014 12:46 pm

If I did not celebrate Halloween, I’d simply turn out the lights, relax and be thankful that I did not have to go out.

2. Robin (Masshole Mommy) permalink
    31/10/2014 1:03 pm

Most of my neighbors are elderly, so we’re the only light on in the neighborhood.

3. 31/10/2014 1:12 pm

Halloween is one of my least favorite holidays, but we definitely do send mixed messages to our kids with this holiday. But the kids have fun, so it is worth it.

4. Kimberly Bergeron permalink
    31/10/2014 1:51 pm

These are a hoot! Make sure you watch your back too!

5. 31/10/2014 3:01 pm

These are pretty good! Not everyone partakes in the trick or treating!

6. pinntell permalink
    31/10/2014 3:35 pm

Too funny! We don’t do much for Halloween, but kiddo’s school has a fun trunk or treat.

7. 31/10/2014 3:52 pm

Hehe these are great! I love Halloween though!

8. Debbie Denny permalink
    31/10/2014 4:10 pm

Living out in the country we don’t get any treaters. Once in a while we do get trickers, but our dog will take care of that.

9. 31/10/2014 4:20 pm

I like the quote about wearing a costume every day 🙂 My son wishes he could! Have a great Halloween!

10. 31/10/2014 5:21 pm

Too funny! I love this, especially the candy corn

11. Nicole Mamatofiveblessings Homeschooling permalink
    31/10/2014 5:22 pm

LOL! We do not celebrate it at all, not even acknowledging it. Our neighbors know we don’t so no one knocks on our door.

12. 31/10/2014 7:12 pm

Cute post! Halloween is my most favorite holiday. I cannot imagine not celebrating it!:))

13. 31/10/2014 7:18 pm

Thanks for the Halloween humor! Someone on FB just posted that in the midwest there’s a tradition of having to tell a joke before someone will give you candy. So you just provided a public service!

14. Margarita Ibbott (@DownshiftingPRO) permalink
    31/10/2014 7:54 pm

I am not a fan of Halloween so I’m sure I’ve used some of these excuses…

15. Michelle F. permalink
    31/10/2014 8:04 pm

Those are funny! I love option number 5 🙂

16. Courtney permalink
    31/10/2014 8:34 pm

Not celebrate Halloween?!? Hehe this was a funny post!! Thanks for the giggle!

17. Alisha Kostiuk permalink
    31/10/2014 8:37 pm

Love #7. These are funny and can you image the look on peoples faces?

18. 31/10/2014 9:49 pm

Lol great post!

19. 31/10/2014 10:12 pm

Haha! Those are awesome. I should try some time – Halloween is so normal for us here – its just like any other day lol… Some do costume and such but not really a thing in general..

20. 31/10/2014 11:08 pm

Hahaha, these are funny and #5 is a little mean. Lol. My family isn’t big on Halloween and where I live, people usually go out of town to enjoy the long weekend from the 31st of October up to the 2nd of November. People normally flock to cemeteries to visit loved ones that have passed on – it’s an age-old Filipino tradition that’s observed every year.

21. SharonMomsMadhouses permalink
    01/11/2014 12:08 am

Haha, very funny! We’re a corner house in a busy neighborhood so bailing doesn’t really work for us, these neighbors know us too well 😉

22. 01/11/2014 3:06 am

I actually do some of these things since I don’t celebrate or even like Halloween

23. 01/11/2014 3:15 am

Cute ideas…seems like quite a few these days turn off the lights and act like they are not home. I live in the country – no trick-or-treats – too far to walk. Especially last night it was 31 degrees with a 35 miles an hour wind. It was freezing outside!!!

24. 01/11/2014 3:24 am

I think ALL corn tastes like it was made in 1911. But not in a bad way… 🙂

25. 01/11/2014 4:29 am

Believe it or not, there are many people who don’t celebrate it where I live. I find that fine with me. To each it’s own!

26. 01/11/2014 5:34 am

I’m a fan of turn down the blinds and shut off the lights, but we participate for my kiddies.

27. 01/11/2014 6:21 am

I love it!! It is a challenge if you don’t celebrate, and can send mix messages to the kiddos in terms of never taking candy from a stranger and then taking them door to door. I honestly never thought about that before. #5 is great!

28. 01/11/2014 7:03 am

hahahaa good thing is tht i don’t need any of those… we’re really not into halloween thing.. 🙂

29. 01/11/2014 7:38 am

I hate halloween! I never enjoyed it as a kid, and thought it was a pain in the arse when my own kids were young. I think it was the year my son wanted to be a mummy that put me over the top. We tore sheets into strips and wrapped and pinned, and wrapped and pinned all afternoon. Then when he went out to trick or treat he began to unravel. OH the DRAMA!! After that year we backed off of the whole holiday.
    Loved the jokes, Elizabeth!
    xob

• 03/11/2014 8:23 am

OMG!!!! LOL! You should just copy this and write a blog post about it. Your comment is funnier than my post. I have to find a way to add it. Oh Barb, you still have your zip for the hilarious. TY! 🙂

• 03/11/2014 10:04 am

That’s because so much of my life is just plain hilarious! And, if you can’t find a way to laugh at any situation you aren’t trying hard enough!
        😉

• 03/11/2014 10:10 am

So that should be part of your next book – all the funny stories you can share. I’m adding your comment as a block-quote in the post. It is too funny to leave here. TY!

30. The Positive MOM permalink
    01/11/2014 7:44 am

Hahaha I don’t celebrate Halloween but never tried any of these. I don’t put up any signs or do anything, just do my own thing. These options you give are just crazy funny. You are super creative 🙂

31. 01/11/2014 8:18 am

What fun some of these would be! Haha, I actually LOL’d!

32. chrissy4gordon24 permalink
    01/11/2014 8:33 am

Very funny! Haha we celebrate it but it’s mostly for the kiddos 🙂

33. 01/11/2014 8:52 am

This post made me laugh out loud as I was reading. We stayed home and handed out candy. Though I’m not sure if we’ll do anything next year

34. Melissa Smith permalink
    01/11/2014 10:38 am

We’re definitely a Halloween household! Although I do love some of these suggestions & would try them just to see how others reacted. Like the candy corn made in 1911! LOL

35. 01/11/2014 11:21 am

hmmmm very interesting, i haven’t heard some of them but i do find it fascinating.

36. Fathima Syedali permalink
    01/11/2014 11:24 am

These are fun and interesting. I love the #5 and #7 ideas. Sad thing is here we do not have such halloween culture in my country. My wishes to every one who are all celebrating this halloween. Have a safe and fun halloween party.

37. Amanda Love permalink
    01/11/2014 1:12 pm

OK I do #2 every year. I pretend I’m not home. This year my son decided he wasn’t going so he gave out the candy. With the price of the candy I was planning on putting a sign saying “come back next week when the candy goes on sale”.

38. 01/11/2014 4:02 pm

haha
    Draw the blinds and act as if you’ve left town – this is what we used to do before we had kids 🙂

39. Melanie (@melaniemiddle1) permalink
    01/11/2014 6:56 pm

SO funny. I’m not a huge fan of this day, so I’m right there with you.

40. 01/11/2014 7:02 pm

My nephew had so much fun this year, and I went trick or treating with him. As we walked the neighborhood, I had on a glow in the dark skeleton hoodie and got mistaken for a treat-or-treater a couple of times. Everyone was so friendly…it warmed my heart to see all of the happy kids, the jack o lanterns, the decorations, and the neighbors mingling with one another.

41. 01/11/2014 7:55 pm

LOL! I like the tip of leaving the bowl of candy outside and leaving a sign saying made in 1911 lol!

42. 01/11/2014 8:12 pm

Hilarious excuses! Four and five are my favorites!

43. Mrs. Mashed Up permalink
    01/11/2014 8:18 pm

Great list. I actually don’t celebrate Halloween, and am super happy it’s over. I’m tried of people asking me what I’m dressing up as and replying with my name. I get weird looks. “Why would you dress up as yourself?” I just smile. Eventually they got the picture. lol

44. 01/11/2014 8:24 pm

I always draw the blinds, turn the lights off, snuggle the dogs, pop some popcorn and watch some cute Halloween movies! LOL.

45. 02/11/2014 4:50 am

Some of these are pretty funny. I like the kiddy aspect of the day, but the scary stuff (which goes hand-in-hand with the day) I could totally live without!

46. Carly Anderson (@lipglosscrayons) permalink
    02/11/2014 8:48 am

These are too funny! And I love that botox pumpkin!

47. Fi Ní Neachtáin permalink
    02/11/2014 8:49 am

I’m laughing at the turn the lights off and pretending you left town one, I know so many people who do that 🙂

48. Rebecca Swenor permalink
    02/11/2014 10:15 am

I love this list and am still laughing. I love #7. Thanks for sharing.

49. 02/11/2014 12:13 pm

My first tip if you don’t celebrate Halloween is to celebrate it. Why wouldn’t you?

• 02/11/2014 8:52 pm

It wasn’t part of my upbringing and I don’t like scary movies… so, scary dress up is out of the question for me. I honored it when my kids were little. Now that they are a bit older, I don’t have to do it anymore. 🙂

50. Dawn Keenan permalink
    02/11/2014 3:02 pm

This is hysterical. We celebrate, but I always enjoy a good laugh!

51. Maria Iemma permalink
    02/11/2014 4:58 pm

These are quite funny. We celebrate Halloween but respect the right of those that do not want to come out and ‘play’

52. 02/11/2014 5:23 pm

It’s always nice to re-read jokes, corny or whatever, I still get to laugh… thanks for brightening up my Monday morning & hope you’re Halloween was…whatever it was, lol … btw, we don’t celebrate it here where I come from… closest we do is have the kids dress up and bring to the mall where each participating store gives out candies… I think a best costume is awarded at a certain cut-off time. Again, thanks!

53. 02/11/2014 11:45 pm

Halloween is one of our favorites. We’re just in it for the fun though.

54. 03/11/2014 11:12 am

I’m always surprised when I get no trick-or-treaters. This is the 5th year no one knocked on my door. What the heck guys?!

55. 03/11/2014 12:40 pm

I celebrate it just for the candy! 😉 Good excuse to bake too.

56. Mihaela Echols permalink
    10/11/2016 10:24 pm

AHAHAHA! the pumpkin botox cracked me up!

57. leahhhh13 permalink
    30/10/2017 5:13 pm

If I didn’t celebrate Halloween I would just close my blinds and door and cut of the lights and enjoy a movie on tv. Halloween isn’t for everybody.

58. Mo at BlogWithMo permalink
    30/10/2017 6:43 pm

Lol this was so funny. We surely don’t celebrate it in Jamaica though I’ve seen some costume parties popping up just because… smh

59. Jocelyn @ Hip Mama's Place permalink
    30/10/2017 9:44 pm

No doubt that it’s a fun filled day if you like celebrating it. Otherwise, just feel free to ignore all of those costumes and candy. This was so much fun to read.

60. Carol Cassara permalink
    30/10/2017 9:45 pm

We usually drive up to a rented vacation home in Santa Fe before the Halloween rolls around. It’s been a long time since we went to a costume party of anything like that. I like seeing the adorable costumes of the kids in my feed though. These are fun things to do if you don’t like Halloween. Lol.

61. A Busy Bees Life - Sheri permalink
    30/10/2017 9:53 pm

Finally a post for those who do not celebrate Halloween. Here in Austria Halloween celebration is a new thing that started only about three years ago. I like the idea of a non-Halloween party!

62. helench1k permalink
    31/10/2017 12:01 am

Haha number 5 made me laugh! I would love to try that one day but unfortunately Halloween isn’t as big over here as it is in other countries!

63. acraftymix permalink
    31/10/2017 1:33 am

LOL, Elizabeth, we don’t really celebrate Halloween here in South Africa but it’s slowly gaining popularity in the secure estates. We stay in a normal street without security gaurds so it’s way to dangferous for kids to out after dark. The monsters are real here

64. 조이 Czjai (@RebelSweetHrt) permalink
    31/10/2017 2:02 am

I usually take my son to the mall for Trick or Treat-ing complete with costume and all, as most Halloween events happen in malls here in the Philippines. However, we had to skip it this year as the weather is bad. It’s been raining nonstop since this morning.

65. Ronnie Epsi permalink
    31/10/2017 2:54 am

I see your Halloween from abroad and it looks like so much fun!! I wish we celebrated it as well. The only unfortunate part is that it’s become too unhealthy – too many sweets for kids to collect.

66. Corinne and Kirsty permalink
    31/10/2017 3:31 am

Ahahahah You made my day! I never do Halloween. It is not a big thing in France and even when I moved to the UK, my friends were not so much into it so we are not doing anything really. I went trick or treating once when I was in Boston and it was a blast!

67. Drake Conan permalink
    31/10/2017 3:55 am

LOL I absolutely love this post! We travel or out of town with my family. I love those brilliant tips and ideas as well.

68. Pooja Kawatra Gupta permalink
    31/10/2017 8:03 am

We just celebrate so that kids can run around with their friends to grab some candies and another reason to decorate.

69. Shubhada Bhide permalink
    31/10/2017 8:46 am

We don’t celebrate Halloween at all. We are just staying at home and waiting for the trick or treaters to knock on our door, Looking for their scary and funny costumes, Lol

70. Preet@thevelvetlife permalink
    31/10/2017 9:07 am

These are so good, I loved reading them. We do not do much Halloween but my kids are excited about it. Maybe I will go out with them for some time.

71. Jennifer A Stewart permalink
    31/10/2017 9:31 am

So funny! The last 12 years we have always trick or treated in my friend’s neighborhoods (because we want to drink with them while the kids go out – and the candy is better) so people always thought we didn’t celebrate because our house was dark. This is the first year we are staying home so I can’t wait to see the costumes! And I don’t have to get a DD>

72. keisha1989 permalink
    31/10/2017 10:45 am

Interesting post. I love the leave the town point. I think these options are really good for persons who don’t celebrate Halloween.

73. Stephanie JNote permalink
    31/10/2017 10:50 am

Yes. I’d attend the non-Halloween party. Sounds like a good way to talk about all the costumes you’ve seen lol. I like the idea of putting the candy corn at the door and saying that you are from 1911. Made me laugh. So funny.

74. Amer Phils permalink
    31/10/2017 11:17 am

LOL! that’s funny! My husband just told me today we are skipping halloween and will turn off all the lights and pretend we’re home.

75. Alicia Taylor at Taylorlife.com permalink
    31/10/2017 11:36 am

These left me chuckling. I am familiar with Halloween’s history and love all the superstition surrounding it. Every year, we have a colossal Halloween party. Unfortunately, this year we were just overwhelmed with too many life changes and canceled it. I love the costumes and the spooky

76. Marissa permalink
    31/10/2017 12:00 pm

I love Halloween! It’s a chance to get out of the house and hangout with friends. Dressing up is always a great time too… Then again I’m 21 and in college. 😉

77. Tanvi Rastogi (@Tanviidotcom) permalink
    31/10/2017 12:59 pm

Hahaha I love this post. I love the Option #1 🙂

78. Ithfifi permalink
    31/10/2017 2:01 pm

I’m currently taking part in #2 – not to be miserable but here in England we never celebrated when I was younger. Its becoming more popular now so my niece and nephew had a school Halloween disco today and we carved pumpkins at the weekend.. but in my street everyone is old! So no children, no candy.. Just a regular night for us!

79. Gladys S Parker (@momtograndma) permalink
    31/10/2017 3:34 pm

Awesome light post with a dark side! We do Halloween for the kids. We take them to a church or community gathering. I don’t get into the reason Halloween started or any of that jazz. We just make it a fun event.

80. xdare2believex permalink
    31/10/2017 3:37 pm

Great post, I enjoyed reading it. The worst things I’ve come across in Halloween are people being idiots to be honest. Chucking skateboards at my door and burning down our washing line, haha. Thankful I now live in a flat. Hope you’ve had a good day, thanks for giving us a bit of a laugh!

81. Ana De-Jesus permalink
    31/10/2017 3:47 pm

Haha this did make me laugh. Imagine leaving town just because you did not like Halloween Lol. I like the idea of creating a sign that shows you do not give candy to dead people lol!

82. thefashionwanderer permalink
    31/10/2017 4:48 pm

Haha! It’s funny. For me I can try option #5 and #6. I partially celebrate/participate I do love to give out homemade treats for little kids in our neighborhood 🙂

83. Josselyn Radillo permalink
    31/10/2017 7:10 pm

Here in my country we don’t celebrate it but I have learned a few stuff about it’s meaning. i do thing it’s fun for the kids

84. Belinda, VA (@YourVAService) permalink
    31/10/2017 7:18 pm

We have a rule in our town that you do not go trick or treating to a house without a pumpkin lit. It seems to work well for those who choose not to celebrate.

85. adkinsdomain permalink
    31/10/2017 7:50 pm

We never did Halloween growing up and I’m still not a fan. We usually did the turn off the lights and pretend like no ones home option.

86. Samantha permalink
    31/10/2017 9:57 pm

Happy Halloween! I enjoyed this post. We have a tradition where my grandma, one of my cousin’s & her 4 kids come over. One year, my mom made pigs in a blanket, so we make them every year. It’s always a good time. Sadly, less and less houses pass out candy. I always make sure to have candy. I hate that so many people in my neighborhood don’t pass out candy. When I was growing up, it took at least an hour and a half to hit every house in the neighborhood.

87. ktmommyscene permalink
    31/10/2017 10:25 pm

Great ideas! You can totally get out and enjoy a family activity together. Or stay home and watch a movie in the basement. Most people won’t knock on a house if the lights are out.

88. nicole permalink
    31/10/2017 10:58 pm

this is cool post about halloween., i miss the times when i was a kid

89. kelly reci permalink
    31/10/2017 11:11 pm

Haha love this post! I love halloween! MY kids enjoys this holiday every year!

90. stephaniesherlock permalink
    31/10/2017 11:36 pm

You have a great sense of humor. Thanks for sharing those anecdotes. Happy Holloween!

91. Summer Mitch Ryan permalink
    01/11/2017 12:00 am

funny! I think even if you put Brutus or candies made centuries ago these would only trigger more interest from kids. So just lock up, put all lights out, and have a nice and cozy time in bed.

92. firsttimetravel permalink
    01/11/2017 12:21 am

I was laughing as I was reading your post. The first paragraph and the options are hilarious. Trick or treat is done here only in the malls and commercial establishments and not the villages or residential areas. But we take time to go to the cemetery to light a candle and pray for our dearly beloved who departed ahead of us.

93. Nina permalink
    01/11/2017 1:51 am

I’ve always celebrated Halloween because everyone else did. As a kid, I was super afraid of dogs. I remember knowing which houses in my neighborhood had dogs and which didn’t. I would avoid the ones who did. It’s super funny now because adult Nina would go to houses with dogs first because I have no fear and I love dogs.

94. Ronnie Epsi permalink
    01/11/2017 2:39 am

These are great funnies! Loved the top joke – it’s so true. 🙂 But it’s hard to stay away from the temptation of so many sweets.

95. The Walking Map permalink
    01/11/2017 4:30 am

Lol, that’s an interesting contradiction. You probably don’t know most of the people giving you candy on Halloween.

96. thenafranssen permalink
    01/11/2017 5:11 am

Too funny. I’m always amazed by the number of house lights that are on, but then no one answers the door. Trick?? 🙂 But no treats!

97. Ankit permalink
    01/11/2017 5:24 am

images are very funny ..and will make you Halloween very special.

98. Ellie Plummer permalink
    01/11/2017 5:34 am

This was pretty funny! I always pretend I’m not home when anyone knocks on the door.

99. Amy-Lynn Vautour permalink
    01/11/2017 5:46 am

lol… i don’t dress up much because I find the spending on the costumes to be a little excessive – I like being creative by finding something I already own (one year I dressed up as “creativity” lol). For the most part, I don’t really “celebrate” because I live in an apartment, so there’s no reason to decorate and no one to give candy to. Still, I like to walk the streets, see the excitement of the kids, look at other people’s decorations, etc.

100. Candy Rachelle permalink
    01/11/2017 5:54 am

Haha this are all hoot. My family loves to celebrate a Halloween. We always have trick or treat in our village. I reallt like this Halloween thought list.

101. poojakawatra permalink
    01/11/2017 9:00 am

We do some Diy decoration with my kids and love to go for trick or treat candy fun.

102. Vyjay permalink
    01/11/2017 9:13 am

Very nice post. Loved all the suggestions if one does not want to celebrate Halloween. Leaving candy corn with a note saying made in 1911, was hilarious.

103. Jojo Vito permalink
    01/11/2017 10:35 am

I love Halloween. In fact I just arrive from a halloween party. I enjoyed the costume and seeing my friends make fun of themselves 🙂

104. Jessan Escosio permalink
    01/11/2017 10:37 am

Wow, we just brought Abby (Abbynture.com) to her first ever Halloween party. She loves her Fairy costume and the games during the party.

105. nawal permalink
    01/11/2017 11:06 am

I seriously have never understood why someone wouldn’t want to celebrate Halloween. I wish I lived somewhere where they had all the decorations, festivities and all that. Never celebrated Halloween or thanksgiving or christmas but would love too. The holiday season is freaking magic

106. Paige Flamm permalink
    01/11/2017 12:32 pm

So funny! I’m not huge on Halloween so I was laughing through this entire post!

107. lucicoo permalink
    01/11/2017 2:43 pm

I love to celebrate Halloween, its my favorite holiday but my family doesn’t like people to come up to our house.

108. Nikki R. permalink
    01/11/2017 3:52 pm

I don’t celebrate Halloween much but I love candy so it’s a good holiday in my book.

109. chewoutloud permalink
    01/11/2017 5:48 pm

LOL, these are funny. Love the cartoons… 😉 Haha! I’ve been pretty go-with-the-flow depending on what my family wants to do each year. When they were younger it was super fun to dress up and go trick or treating for them. Now they’re older so some stay home and others go trick or treating for just 30 min or so. We’ve done the bowl of candy on porch idea before, too. This year, though, was seriously quiet out there – I think the kids in our ‘hood have all grown up or something!

110. nicoleflintkontrol permalink
    01/11/2017 6:46 pm

The botox photo was funny! But these are great ideas. As an adult with no kids, I’m not a huge fan of celebrating Halloween. I kinda don’t see a purpose for me at all. I do love all of the Halloween candy being on sale on November 1st though!

111. Stephanie Jeannot permalink
    01/11/2017 7:49 pm

I celebrated Halloween this year. I wore a costume and it felt good to get out of character for a minute but I will say, I was so surprised at how big this Holiday has become. Seemed like over the top.

112. Agnes permalink
    01/11/2017 8:45 pm

Lol, love the humor! I am not a huge Halloween person but I always look forward to seeing the kids come to the door full of excitement.

113. Alexa Brooks permalink
    01/11/2017 9:25 pm

Love the RL Stine quote! Halloween is one of my favorites since it’s so casual!

114. Adaleta Avdić permalink
    01/11/2017 9:56 pm

Hahaha that botox pumpkin one seriously made me laugh, I mean come on that is so funny!1

115. Deb B. permalink
    01/11/2017 11:05 pm

This is a great list and I know a few people who would definitely love this. We’re big Halloween trick or treaters and we love to dress up – but it’s so important to understand that some people just don’t celebrate and it’s 100% okay! These made me laugh 🙂

116. MomTraNeur permalink
    02/11/2017 5:50 am

Haha this post is so funny! I do love Halloween and celebrate it every year. It’s alright though if there are those who don’t. To each his own I guess. Still, Happy Halloween! – Dae Nerys

117. brigettedanielle permalink
    02/11/2017 7:36 am

My family and I don’t observe halloween. At first it was a little difficult because everyone around us participate. But once we found ways to ” get away” from all the madness lol

118. Jane permalink
    02/11/2017 7:43 am

lol. this is so funny. I personally love Halloween but I have a friend I’m going to send this post to.

119. MyMomtasticLife permalink
    02/11/2017 9:32 am

This is too funny hahaha! I always go trick or treating with my nephews. I now have a son too, though he was too young to appreciate it this year.

120. Rebecca Swenor permalink
    02/11/2017 3:44 pm

These are some very interesting and funny things to do if you don’t celebrate Halloween. I love number 5 with the candy corn in a bowl and putting on there they were made in 1911. Thanks for sharing the laughs.

121. Yvon Lux permalink
    02/11/2017 4:05 pm

Hahaha I love the Botox pumpkin pic soooo much!! We did celebrate Halloween this year. Maybe I”ll pull some of these next year and skip it.

122. kelly reci permalink
    02/11/2017 7:15 pm

My family has a lot to do during holloween! We celebrate it every year and this post is surely very interesting to do when time comes that there are no more childrens in my end! lol

123. Preet@thevelvetlife permalink
    03/11/2017 3:40 am

They are so funny, especially #4 and #7, I am still laughing. Halloween was not part of my upbringing but I did go out with my little ones for trick or treat.

124. Melanie permalink
    03/11/2017 6:21 am

Great ideas. We celebrate Halloween with our kids, but know that it’s not a night for everyone. There are plenty of people, my parents included, who turn off the porch light and go along with their evening as normal.

125. fasetto permalink
    03/11/2017 10:08 am

I thought the botox pumpkin was very funny. I also loved your options 1 & 2 haha!

126. Courtney Blacher permalink
    03/11/2017 10:51 am

I celebrate Halloween, but that botox pic had me laughing for 5 mins haha. I LOVE it!!

127. Gale Falces permalink
    03/11/2017 11:28 am

Hahaha, I like the humor in your post. In my province we don’t celebrate Halloween at all. I don’t maybe it’s just because we live in a remote area and we don’t know how to celebrate it. hahha!

128. Carly Delski (@CarlyNed) permalink
    03/11/2017 11:49 am

This is so funny! I do celebrate Halloween because I think it’s a fun-spirited holiday for the kiddos.

129. Words of a Texas Nerd permalink
    03/11/2017 12:45 pm

I loved this post! My parents go with option #2 since they don’t celebrate it. This year, I told my kids we were staying home. It was a school night. We don’t want to celebrate it anymore. They get too tired from walking anyhow. It was rainy and ugly out. Then I bought clearance candy the next day. Voila! Something to still rot your teeth with….

130. Bea | A Cheery Mind (@acheerymind) permalink
    03/11/2017 2:43 pm

I love Halloween so I can’t even imagine not celebrating if I can. Unfortunately, where we live at the moment, they don’t celebrate 😦 Sad ! But if I had to choose for any of the above, number 4 it is !

131. xdare2believex permalink
    03/11/2017 2:50 pm

I don’t like Halloween at all but this post was fun!

132. Belinda Alban permalink
    03/11/2017 5:36 pm

We have a local tradition that says if there is no pumpkin then dont knock and all the kids are good obeying it. It mean those that want to can, and those that dont, dont have to be bothered 🙂

133. lavandamichelle permalink
    03/11/2017 7:35 pm

The year we didn’t enjoy hallloween was the year we were all sick. We left a bowl of treats out the door. My besties doesn’t celebrate Halloween, she cuts off all her light and go in her room and watch tv:)

134. Shell permalink
    03/11/2017 9:47 pm

Lol these are such fun ideas but we love Halloween!!! We had great fun trick or treating with my son.

135. Eileen permalink
    04/11/2017 7:58 am

These are some great ideas if you don’t celebrate halloween! Haha I laughed at the one about leaving town

136. ankit permalink
    04/11/2017 8:39 am

creative ideas for halloween…but we cant skip our children loves this day so much.

137. In and Out of Vegas permalink
    04/11/2017 11:07 am

I have my years where I’ll give out candy then one year I’ll hide haha. Last year, I was in a Halloween mood and made tombstones to display in the front yard with clever sayings. One was, “Here lies Mozart.Decomposing.” Get it? Haha 😉

138. Beola Lawal permalink
    04/11/2017 12:55 pm

Halloween is not really my thing, but I allowed my kids to dress up in costumes and also got them candy.

139. Eileen permalink
    04/11/2017 2:20 pm

We don’t celebrate Halloween. When my kids were young, they did it only because it was a school activity, but at home, we did not celebrate it. For us, it was a day to be together as a family and to get ourselves ready for the next two days, which we religiously observe every year – All Saints Day and All Souls Day. It is a day of remembering our loved ones who have gone before us. That means we go to the cemetery and lay flowers on their grave, light candles, offer masses and remember those happy times when they were still with us.

140. Bhushavali permalink
    05/11/2017 1:10 am

Hahaha!!! Indeed awesome alternatives. We don’t celebrate halloween in my country. I’ve celebrated just once when I was in London. I did put up some DIY decor and gave out some candy.

141. Jake Ferrer permalink
    05/11/2017 1:20 am

Oh i wish we have a trick or treat here in Philippines. But we just dont have. We just normally go on cemetery on November 1. And that’s it.

142. lavandamichelle permalink
    05/11/2017 3:41 am

I read the story of the five friends about 50 times. Every time I recite it I get huge laughs. I have shared this more a dozen times or more and even after Halloween, lol. My worst Halloween experience was when I was Wonder Woman at a Halloween Event and it was extremely cold. I vows to be a storm trooper the next time I volunteer at a Halloween event in Chicago.

143. Rebecca Swenor permalink
    05/11/2017 4:40 pm

This is a great post and it is funny how our parents as well as us parents tell the kids not to take candy from strangers and it is okay on Halloween. I love the idea of telling the kids that we all dress up as ducks or we don’t go trick or treating. lol Thanks for sharing the laughs.

144. uprunforlife permalink
    05/11/2017 6:42 pm

We didn’t pass out candy on Halloween either. Over the course of a week, we went to two festivals and I took the lil one trunk or treating. He had a blast.

145. sadhna shanker permalink
    05/11/2017 10:23 pm

we don’t have halloween in india, and often I wonder, there are so many scary things happening in the world, why do we have to do this to ourselves!

146. Sadhna Shanker permalink
    05/11/2017 10:28 pm

we don’t have halloween in India. I do’wonder at times, there is much anyway to scare in the world!

147. franckxethee permalink
    05/11/2017 11:44 pm

Halloween is such a fun activity that of course, celebrating it is your option. I guess, it’s best to find like minded people to have a different themed party.

148. Sandra.J.Lopes permalink
    06/11/2017 12:31 am

We don’t celebrate it here as it is not a holiday for us but when I lived in Portugal we would get dresses up in our fantasy and go to events. Trick or treat was not the custom but everything else was, the costumes, the decor.
    Great post, loved reading tips on how not to celebrate it, lol

149. Venus Fitness-Shannon permalink
    06/11/2017 8:51 am

I like the idea of inviting your friends over for a non Halloween party…cheeky. 😉

150. phyliciamarie permalink
    10/11/2017 5:06 am

lol. Too bad I wasn’t able to use any on our Halloween party in the office! Not a big fan of the holiday too but it’s nice to see how people dress up.

1. Motivation Mondays: SCARED | Mirth and Motivation