Weekly Photo Challenge: What Does Humanity Mean?

13/09/2014

“What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each others folly – that is the first law of nature.” Voltaire

Weekly Photo Challenge collage: Humanity In All Shades and Shapes..

Weekly Photo Challenge collage: Humanity In All Shades and Shapes…

Weekly Photo Challenge: Humanity

Weekly Photo Challenge: Humanity – all life forms

Humanity: (1) the quality or state of being human; (2) the quality or state of being kind to other people or to animals,(3) all people. Merriam Webster Dictionary

Humanity is a shared experience.  It is our ability to extend ourselves to others and to empathize with other life forms. When we see others as less than us, our collective experiences are diminished. When I think of humanity, I think of all life forms. I think of the birds, the animals, our pets, and people from all walks of life. As Voltaire suggests above, a bit of tolerance goes a long way to fostering a sense of community and a recognition of our humanity; flawed or not. How do you view humanity? Stop by later for a few more collages.

“All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence.” Martin Luther King, Jr.

Weekly Photo Challenge: Humanity - great gatherings

Weekly Photo Challenge: Humanity – great gatherings

When I think of humanity, I think of people gathering for good; a celebration, a rejuvenation, an inclusive event, a cause to uplift ourselves and others.  I think of the fact that today is Positive Thinking Day and we can use this opportunity to reach out and connect with others.  Why are some people reluctant to honor and respect others?  Fear, ancient hatreds  and maybe a lack of understanding. But we can make an incremental effort to change. I believe it is possible.

Whenever I’m around anyone who suggests that there is a special group or exclusive enclave for XYZ types, I wonder about our collective humanity and when we will set aside these divisive ways of separating people. We all breathe and bleed, why don’t we show more compassion to each other? We can keep in mind what MLK Jr says about the impact of labor that uplifts humanity. What does humanity mean to you? Is it inclusive or exclusive? Stop by later for a few more and a story.

“Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive.”Dalai Lama

Weekly Photo Challenge: Humanity - Friendship

Weekly Photo Challenge: Humanity – Friendship

Weekly Photo Challenge: What Does Humanity Mean? - 11 Inspiring Videos

Weekly Photo Challenge: What Does Humanity Mean? – 11 Inspiring Videos

MASHABLE: 11 Inspiring Videos That Will Restore Your Faith in Humanity

We are part of a global family and when we honor the humanity in others, we do same in our selves… Let’s extend a hand of friendship to the next person we meet. better yet, share a smile and see how quickly the room brightens and the heaviness shifts… To add cheer to your day, above, I have added a link to 11 videos that will inspire and lift you up. Enjoy! If we follow the advice of the Dalai Lama above, by sharing more love and compassion towards one another, and putting the competitive, mean-spirited actions aside, we’ll all be the better and healthier for it. Have a humane weekend!

This post was inspired by a Daily Post Prompt: Weekly Photo Challenge: Humanity For this week’s challenge, share what humanity means to you. Share a single photo or a collage like the tiled gallery to represent a sea of humanity.

Positive Motivation Tip: Humanity is a shared experience. When we see others as less than us, our collective experiences are diminished. Open up and embrace others.

More Weekly Photo Challenge Posts

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos: from my Personal Collection.

1. 13/09/2014 6:36 pm

Love and compassion are indeed essential for humanity to survive. It’s our ability to care, give and help each other that makes us truly human.

2. 13/09/2014 9:10 pm

Yes. We should open up and embrace others. Human is good in nature. But when elements of nature comes, the good and the bad shows.

Mhar Mg

• 13/09/2014 9:51 pm

Yes, man is inherently good and can do great things. We need to remember to treat everyone with the same degree of care and compassion.

3. Robin (Masshole Mommy) permalink
    14/09/2014 3:26 am

I think it’s the ability to accept others and appreciate life.

4. 14/09/2014 5:27 am

Beautiful post! Your photos are always amazing

5. Teresa McCluskey permalink
    14/09/2014 6:09 am

This is very interesting! Your photos sure did catch me attention!

6. 14/09/2014 6:26 am

Wow, Eliz you took the theme to another level! Beautiful!!!

7. bellanna3 permalink
    14/09/2014 6:33 am

I love your photo collages. They seem to depict a well-rounded image of humanity and what it means.

8. 14/09/2014 6:45 am

And our wonderful government have refused the Dalai entry to our country..AGAIN!!!!
    Makes me Soooooooooo mad.

9. 14/09/2014 8:48 am

Beautiful photos and I love your positive motivation tip! So very true!

10. 14/09/2014 10:06 am

Ahhh I wanted to see the pics in your collage a it bigger and they don’t click open!
    In my department at work there are a few people who continuously resist smiling back at me, isn’t that sad?

• 15/09/2014 8:24 am

Since you mentioned it, I might post a couple in their original. Unfortunately Pixlr doesn’t have that function and the create gallery/collage creator in WP joins all your collage photos into one huge collage… Have they fixed that? Must check.

• lolakojane permalink
        15/09/2014 10:52 am

I have a self hosted site and use the create gallery option when I upload media. Works great if I have a lot of photos to share (like on my grandsons’ martial arts website — where I could have dozens upon dozens of photos to share). Have you used this feature?

Love the quote starting with what is tolerance (something we could all use more of, and will only make us better human beings 🙂

Liked by 1 person

• 15/09/2014 11:07 am

TY! 🙂 This isn’t a self-hosted site, so I can only import from my photo tools or use what wp.com has. It’s fine but I like to add a variety of collages and the program they have grabs all the pictures and dumps them into one huge collage. I know my blog might look like it’s self-hosted, I added a few more features by upgrading my blog, but it isn’t. Tehe!

11. 14/09/2014 7:32 pm

Humanity definitely is inclusive. I love that you include all of God’s creations in your definition, too!

12. The Positive MOM permalink
    14/09/2014 7:33 pm

I agree that humanity is inclusive, and I love that you included all of God’s creations in your definition.

13. 14/09/2014 8:46 pm

Great pictures and a beautiful message!

14. Sherrie Woosley permalink
    15/09/2014 11:14 am

I completely agree that we are all part of a global family and your photos and messages speak to that sentiment. Beautiful post.

15. loisaltermark permalink
    15/09/2014 1:14 pm

Beautiful pictures. To me, humanity is definitely kindness and compassion for all.

16. Simply At Home Mom permalink
    15/09/2014 1:15 pm

I agree, this is a beautiful post and a reminder of what humanity really is.

17. Close To Home permalink
    15/09/2014 1:17 pm

you took the photo challenge to the next step love that you included multiple shots in a collage.

18. 15/09/2014 2:10 pm

Great pictures and even better message. Tolerance is rare today. It’s really sad how intolerant the world has become. Thanks for the reminder!

19. 15/09/2014 3:47 pm

A lovely post, Elizabeth. Treat all others as we wish to be treated – it’s that simple.

20. Pam Wattenbarger permalink
    15/09/2014 4:51 pm

There are some great pictures here. I love the theme this week.

21. 15/09/2014 5:48 pm

Love is most definitely a necessity, not a luxury. Everyone needs to feel loved!

22. 15/09/2014 5:54 pm

When I think of humanity, I think of the fact that we all have faults. No one is perfect. I also think of how we all tend to band together when something bad happens. I wish we could all unite even without bad circumstances happening.

23. 15/09/2014 6:20 pm

These are beautiful and thought provoking photos. You are very talented

24. Tonya C permalink
    15/09/2014 7:53 pm

The photos are amazing. So intriguing! Thanks

25. Nicole Mamatofiveblessings Homeschooling permalink
    15/09/2014 7:56 pm

Some of these photo’s made me happy and some made me so sad. Great images.

26. Debbie Denny permalink
    15/09/2014 8:20 pm

Very nice post. Acceptance is the key.

Liked by 1 person

27. 16/09/2014 1:50 am

Giving – caring – love I think are so important. Making a positive difference no matter how small I think is so important

28. 16/09/2014 5:28 am

What a great photo challenge. This is one reason why I love HONY (humans of new york) – he does an amazing job at capturing humanity to the point where I have nearly a physical reaction to his images.

29. 16/09/2014 6:33 am

I love your photos with this post!

30. Amanda Love permalink
    16/09/2014 6:52 am

Humanity to me means being able to accept each other without prejudice. Totally awesome photos btw

31. 16/09/2014 7:02 am

Wouldn’t it be awesome if we could spread love and compassion across humanity in a wave? I envision it like the wave at a sporting event. As people touch other people with their love,it moves on. 🙂

32. 16/09/2014 8:15 am

This is a great post. A topic that we all need to think about sometimes. Your pictures look great too.

33. 16/09/2014 11:21 am

Beautiful post. Especially when I was younger, I had so much trouble understanding how people had so much distaste for others. But then you just have to look at what is aired on the news every single day, to understand how our minds and emotions have been ‘trained’ for mistrust.

34. 16/09/2014 11:35 am

Such warm and heart-inspired post. You are so right about humanity and its definition. May we all be inspired to reach out and embrace our differences and appreciate them for what they are. Wonderful post!

35. 16/09/2014 2:30 pm

A beautiful interpretation Eliz. The Dalai Lama quote sums it up well. I love how you have arranged your collages into specific groups. Perfect 🙂

36. elizabethweaver permalink
    16/09/2014 7:26 pm

Especially love the Dalai Lama quote…and your words.

37. 16/09/2014 9:33 pm

I like the quote saying that love is a necessity! Amen to that!

Kindly leave a meaningful comment. "Thanks for sharing" is NOT meaningful. Thank You!