Haiku: In Remembrance…

11/09/2014

“The living owe it to those who no longer can speak to tell their story for them.” Czesław Miłosz

Haiku: In Remembrance... World Trade Center Buildings,  NY

Haiku: In Remembrance… World Trade Center Buildings, NY

On a clear fall day
Steel birds falling from our skies
The World Trade Center

Two hijacked planes crashed
A third smashed  The Pentagon
A fourth in a field

As we honor the memory of those who lost  their lives on this day, I can’t help but look to Milosz’s quote above. We remember the events and share the stories so others won’t forget; we speak up so all of us will remember to say a prayer and lift up the spirits of the 2,996 people killed in terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001. How did we cope?

As part of the Healing theme for September, BlogHer suggested we read Elizabeth Kübler-Ross’s model of the five stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. Many of us experienced some or all of these stages after 9/11 and, eventually, found a way to make peace with it. Peace = Acceptance. It was, probably, the  hardest stage to embrace. Where were you on that fateful day? What do you remember? How did you cope?

“Of joys departed, not to return, how painful the remembrance.” Robert Blair

Haiku: In Remembrance - Aerial view of The Pentagon

Haiku: In Remembrance – Aerial view of The Pentagon

Buildings left burning
By a series of attacks
Many left bereft

How could this happen?
Surreal. Frozen. Shocking tales
unnerving events

It is still shocking to remember that in a matter of a few hours, we felt under siege, as two hijacked planes crashed into the World Trade Center in Manhattan. As we reeled in horror,  a third plane flew into The Pentagon costing the loss of more lives. Then a fourth plane dove into a field near Shanksville, Pennsylvania, rounding out a day of tremendous pain and suffering for families around the world. The WTC  was a great gathering place for workers and visitors from around the world… The toll was global. What do you remember? How do we prevent this from happening again?

More below

“Even the smallest act of service, the simplest act of kindness, is a way to honor those we lost, a way to reclaim that spirit of unity that followed 9/11.” President Barack Obama

Haiku: In Remembrance - Rebuilt One World Trade Center.

Haiku: In Remembrance – Rebuilt One World Trade Center.

Each simple service
Each candle lit for the dead
Creates unity….

A nation healing
Pain replaced with gratitude
Spirits lifted up…

As we reminisce about 2001, we can find comfort in the progress made in healing this nation and rebuilding the WTC. History teaches us to pay attention and to prevent the continuation of acts that divide our global family.  Let’s honor those who passed, give hugs to those who survived, and work together to bring peace to our homes, workplaces, communities and globally. We can start from wherever we stand. What are your thoughts?

Positive Motivation Tip: Remember to honor, love and respect the memory of all who lost their lives on 9/11 … Each thought and prayer of goodwill reverberates around the world…

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos, WTC Buildings, Pentagon Aerial view, Rebuilt #1WTC  via Wikipedia

1. 11/09/2014 9:13 pm

nice…

2. 12/09/2014 6:54 am

They will never be forgotten, nor will the bravery with which people tried to save them

3. 12/09/2014 12:26 pm

Misplaced ideas lead to so much suffering.. in the case of 9/11 so many innocent people lost their lives and their near and dear ones will Lear to make peace but life will never be the same again.

4. Masshole Mommy permalink
    12/09/2014 1:28 pm

That was such a sad for all of us Americans. My heart was definitely heavy as I remembered yesterday.

5. 12/09/2014 1:35 pm

Where have those years gone? I will never forget.

6. 12/09/2014 2:10 pm

Well written, well said. Let’s hope we don’t forget.

7. 12/09/2014 3:14 pm

The photos are so haunting…it feels like just yesterday this tragedy happened. Like a Phoenix out of the ashes beauty and strength are birthed.

8. Fred H permalink
    12/09/2014 3:21 pm

Even if I was on the other side of the world, I recall watching the events as they were happening on CNN. Your words capture it: surreal, frozen, shocking.

• 12/09/2014 8:37 pm

Exactly same for me… I watched it with my clients in their home and it took a while to register that we were not watching a movie…. disturbing.

9. 12/09/2014 4:12 pm

I can clearly recall what I was doing that morning 13 years ago and it forever changed life as we know it. I think the way in which the US is honoring the victims, by building the monument on the site of the twin towers, is the best way to say we have not been beaten.

10. Close To Home permalink
    12/09/2014 4:34 pm

This day brings memories close to us as my husband’s head quarters was in the twin towers and we lost a good friend. So many lost .

11. franckxethee permalink
    12/09/2014 5:33 pm

It’s really shocking that tragedies like 9/11 happens. Honoring the lives and the brave people on that fateful day.

12. 12/09/2014 5:34 pm

This is a nice tribute to a tragic day in our history. I was in complete shock on 9/11 and still stir up that same feeling of utter disbelief and sadness on the anniversary every year.

13. 12/09/2014 6:09 pm

For sure, many lives were affected by the tragic incident. It has been years but people still remember this event and pray for the souls of those who died.

14. 12/09/2014 6:22 pm

I can’t believe it’s been as long as it has. I still remember that day like it was yesterday. I will never forget!

15. 12/09/2014 6:37 pm

I remember exactly where I was. Never forget.

16. 12/09/2014 6:42 pm

A day I will never forget. Still shocks me all these years later. This country needs to continue to band together.

17. 12/09/2014 7:15 pm

9/11 can never be forgotten. Now no doubt their is nice building

18. 12/09/2014 7:24 pm

Beautiful haiku! I know poetry has been part of the healing process for many. Thank you for sharing.

19. 12/09/2014 8:34 pm

It still seems surreal to me sometimes that this could have actually happened in our country. I feel so heavily for those who lost their loved ones, and we will never forget!

20. 12/09/2014 8:42 pm

That day is really one of saddest and frightening day. I remembered watching it live as the second plane hit and watching the towers fell. I lived half way around the globe but it scared me. I salute those brave men and women who risk and gave their lives to save others!

21. 12/09/2014 9:14 pm

Lovely haiku. It is a day we will never forget.

22. 12/09/2014 9:39 pm

I remember as they were reporting on tower one I watched tower two get hit right along with them. It was so horrendous and surreal.

23. 12/09/2014 11:13 pm

I still can not talk about 9/11 without tears in my eyes, It is a day I will never forget and a day that made me personally realize how short and sweet life really can be. My whole (mental) world changed that day.

24. 12/09/2014 11:27 pm

The pain never goes away, we just learn to leave with it..

25. 12/09/2014 11:52 pm

I remembered the day this happened… the news were doing live report non stop, although I was still young and not exactly sure what happened, it had created the sense of fear and realism that terrorism DO exist.

26. 13/09/2014 3:34 am

We can never never never forget what happened on 911. Thinking about 911 still brings tears to my eyes.

27. Papaleng Pagulong permalink
    13/09/2014 4:39 am

Who will ever forget this shocking event that left the world with its painful memories. Very nice Haikus to depict this 911 accident.

28. 13/09/2014 4:41 am

Thank you for sharing this beautiful post.

29. 13/09/2014 5:34 am

The first image shown is just so chilling…I remember exactly where and what I was doing when I turned the TV on to see something that looked surreal. I have a lot of friends that live in NYC so I frantically tried to contact them and find out if they were all right. One of my closest friends was able to respond to me, and she was OK…but others were not lucky, and although I did not lose anyone close to me, it was a loss that I still felt. I cannot imagine how it felt to be there within that moment.

30. Jess S. (@loveforlacquer) permalink
    13/09/2014 5:45 am

Beautiful haiku

31. 13/09/2014 6:49 am

To this day i still cannot believe what went on. I was reading a recount of the events from a friends friend on FB, and the graphic detail he was saying while being down there, i am not sure i could have ever come back from.

32. mrenkema79 permalink
    13/09/2014 7:27 am

Beautifully written! It’s important to keep sharing thoughts and memories.

33. 13/09/2014 12:01 pm

I don’t think any of us will ever forget what happened that day, where we were or what we were doing. And it’s sad that an act such as this united our country.

34. Sojourner Williams permalink
    13/09/2014 7:48 pm

Thank you for your beautifully written and heartfelt haikus and reflections. It is still really difficult to digest the tragic events that took place on that day.

35. Esther Irish permalink
    13/09/2014 9:41 pm

We will never forget that day! Thanks for this.

36. 13/09/2014 10:33 pm

The very painful day for the world of peace. My commemorate to all people who died on this unfortunate day

37. 13/09/2014 11:11 pm

Great article, well written and moving

38. Fernando permalink
    13/09/2014 11:48 pm

Those were the day when the whole world felt sad and angry….nice words. Fernando Lachica

39. 14/09/2014 3:46 am

Very inspiring to read. That day will never forgotten.

40. Vanessa Ally permalink
    14/09/2014 6:14 am

Very outspoken and deeply moving. Yes, we still remember, honor and respect the memory of all the innocent people who lost their lives that day We will always remember.

41. Debbie Denny permalink
    14/09/2014 6:51 am

Time soothes sorrow, but we shall never forget.

42. 14/09/2014 7:11 am

That news blued the people whether they are living in US or not. I hope that such incident will not happen again. EVER!

43. katrinagehman permalink
    14/09/2014 7:22 am

very pretty yet so sad. those pictures. one of the saddest days in history for sure.

44. 14/09/2014 8:04 am

Thank you for sharing. This was a forever changing event in our lifetime, that will shape our views on USA. I was in the service during this time and open my eyes and ears; to a lot of things. I always pray for the families, because they have the toughest burden. Thanks for a lovely post.

• 15/09/2014 8:27 am

Thank you too for being one of the brave souls to step up and serve… We learned a lot from this and I hope the teachings continue to shape our interactions with each other.

45. 14/09/2014 8:05 am

Reblogged this on Parent Xpress and commented:
    Great post on In Remembrance.

46. 14/09/2014 8:50 am

It was a scary and very sad day. We were at home when the breaking news appeared on all our TV channels and we actually saw the second tower coming down on LIVE TV. Till today, no one knows the truth about who was behind this cruel act. May those who lost their lives, rest in peace.

47. phyliciamarie permalink
    14/09/2014 9:03 am

We will never forget. I dream of one day going to the WTC memorial place and say thanks to the many who have sacrificed to save others, and pray for to those who had to leave us early

48. Nicol Wong (@yuk_lui) permalink
    14/09/2014 1:04 pm

this was such a sad day. it will never be forgotten

49. 14/09/2014 6:07 pm

It was a sad day not only for the Americans, but I believe people from all around the world felt it too. It really gave me the chill when the incident happened, as my dad was at the WTO exactly a year before it happened.

50. 14/09/2014 9:39 pm

Thank you for these words of memory. Beautiful haikus.

51. 14/09/2014 10:13 pm

This was our generations “moment”. To be honest, I wish we didn’t have one.

52. 14/09/2014 11:03 pm

Struggled reading this but your strong sentiments are noted.

• 15/09/2014 8:19 am

Sorry that it was a hard one. The events of that day are sometimes hard to express and digest. TY for you feedback. Always appreciated.

53. 15/09/2014 5:13 am

a frightening day that we would never forget… a sad day..

54. 15/09/2014 6:24 am

Great post! As a real estate reporter, one of the things out of this tragedy that impressed me the most was the New York spirit of rising through the ashes. The Freedom tower, the memorial, the other buildings in various stages of construction are all proof that as a city and a nation we can build a better tomorrow even on a difficult past. – Katy

Liked by 1 person

55. 15/09/2014 9:44 am

Your haikus are beautiful, This year hit me hard when I took a look back. I know I will never forget.

56. 17/09/2014 8:41 pm

I take time every year to reflect on what happened and honor those who died. 3 years ago we took a road trip to visit PA, NY, and DC. To see the sites where the tragedies happened and to pay our respect. It was powerful and I wish we could do it every year. But I know we’ll be back to do it again soon.