Photo Challenge: ELEMENTAL

09/08/2017

“The three great elemental sounds in nature are the sound of rain, the sound of wind in a primeval wood, and the sound of outer ocean on a beach.” Henry Beston

Photo Challenge: ELEMENTAL - Revisiting the Hudson  River and vicinity

Photo Challenge: ELEMENTAL – Revisiting the Hudson River and vicinity

Photo Challenge: ELEMENTAL - Revisiting the Hudson  River and vicinity

Photo Challenge: ELEMENTAL – Revisiting the Hudson River and vicinity

For this week’s photo challenge on – Elemental – I went back to familiar territory and took photos of the Hudson River and some of the life around it. I included a few photos of movements including a shot of a field where the tornado of last fall had stripped the trees of life… I will upload a bigger photo later. I’ve also shared part of a poem by Walt Whitman on the subject. I think he does a better job of speaking about it than I could. Enjoy!

Photo Challenge: ELEMENTAL - Revisiting the Hudson  River and vicinity

Photo Challenge: ELEMENTAL – Revisiting the Hudson River and vicinity

Elemental Drifts. by Walt Whitman
ELEMENTAL drifts!
How I wish I could impress others as you have just been impressing me!

As I ebb’d with an ebb of the ocean of life,
As I wended the shores I know,
As I walk’d where the ripples continually wash you, Paumanok,
Where they rustle up, hoarse and sibilant,
Where the fierce old mother endlessly cries for her castaways,
I, musing, late in the autumn day, gazing off southward,
Alone, held by this eternal Self of me, out of the pride of which I utter my poems,
Was seiz’d by the spirit that trails in the lines underfoot,
In the rim, the sediment, that stands for all the water and all the land of the globe.

Fascinated, my eyes, reverting from the south, dropt, to follow those slender winrows,
Chaff, straw, splinters of wood, weeds, and the sea-gluten,
Scum, scales from shining rocks, leaves of salt-lettuce, left by the tide:
Miles walking, the sound of breaking waves the other side of me,
Paumanok, there and then, as I thought the old thought of likenesses,
These you presented to me, you fish-shaped island,
As I wended the shores I know,
As I walk’d with that eternal Self of me, seeking types.

“There is no logical way to the discovery of these elemental laws. There is only the way of intuition, which is helped by a feeling for the order lying behind the appearance.” Albert Einstein

Photo Challenge: ELEMENTAL - Revisiting the Hudson  River and vicinity

Photo Challenge: ELEMENTAL – Revisiting the Hudson River and vicinity

Photo Challenge: ELEMENTAL - Revisiting the Hudson  River and vicinity

Photo Challenge: ELEMENTAL – Revisiting the Hudson River and vicinity

When I think of the elements, water comes to mind first, then the rest… I am drawn to water because I find it healing and the hypnotic sound calms me. What would you have featured for this photo challenge?

Poem Contd
As I wend to the shores I know not,
As I list to the dirge, the voices of men and women wreck’d,
As I inhale the impalpable breezes that set in upon me,
As the ocean so mysterious rolls toward me closer and closer,
I, too, but signify, at the utmost, a little wash’d-up drift,
A few sands and dead leaves to gather,
Gather, and merge myself as part of the sands and drift.

O baffled, balk’d, bent to the very earth,
Oppress’d with myself that I have dared to open my mouth,
Aware now, that, amid all that blab whose echoes recoil upon me, I have not once had the
least
idea who or what I am,
But that before all my insolent poems the real ME stands yet untouch’d, untold,
altogether
unreach’d,
Withdrawn far, mocking me with mock-congratulatory signs and bows,
With peals of distant ironical laughter at every word I have written,
Pointing in silence to these songs, and then to the sand beneath.

Now I perceive I have not understood anything—not a single object—and that no
man
ever can.

I perceive Nature, here in sight of the sea, is taking advantage of me, to dart upon me,
and
sting me,
Because I have dared to open my mouth, to sing at all. READ the REST on FamousPoemsandPoets

This post was inspired by a prompt from WP Daily Post: ELEMENTAL  For this week’s challenge, explore the classical elements of earth, air, water, and fire. How do you capture something invisible like air, or the movement of water? Or, more personally, is there a place you go to feel connected to the earth? Take a moment to explore these elements, in or out of balance, together or individually, as you pick up your camera this week.

Positive Motivation Tip: All of nature is elemental…

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos from my personal collection.

1. Miriam permalink
    09/08/2017 5:31 pm

What a wonderful poem Elizabeth, that evokes all the senses and beautifully portrays the elements. And your photos are the perfect accompaniment. 💜

2. parentingpatch permalink
    09/08/2017 7:13 pm

My family and I lived in Dobbs Ferry two years ago. We loved going down to the Hudson River and playing at the park along the banks.

3. Chloe permalink
    09/08/2017 9:47 pm

I would have chosen water as well, there is something about the sound and image that make me feel so calm. I also think about fire as well, I can feel quite relaxed around a fire or fireplace etc. We all need to get back to the elements from time to time!

4. brittanidouglas permalink
    10/08/2017 12:08 am

These are beautiful photos. Great job with the challenge. Scenery photos are always my favorite to look at!

5. Carol Cassara permalink
    10/08/2017 2:47 am

Fire! I have always been fascinated with it! But definitely all the elements have their own unique features and it’s amazing how they mold the Earth. I enjoyed reading this post very much especially that poem.

6. Shelley Coleman permalink
    10/08/2017 3:30 am

I love your pictures! There is such an air of tranquillity and peacefulness.

7. Ana De-Jesus permalink
    10/08/2017 4:25 am

I think water was the perfect element to feature this week as I too am drawn to water. I love how one minute it can be calm and serene and the next moment it can be passionate and wild x

8. Jhilmil permalink
    10/08/2017 5:13 am

brilliant photos, it all looks so serene and the poetry was spell binding, he really did a great work at it.

9. afroz261 permalink
    10/08/2017 5:38 am

Beautiful poem, and I never knew the Hudson river was so beautiful ❤️ Loved the theme of the challenge and without doubt all your clicks are superb👍🏻👍🏻

10. Hellocuppies permalink
    10/08/2017 6:17 am

I always enjoy reading your posts Elizabeth and find them very calming but also quite thought provoking too. There is a park I pass on my way home from work everyday so I’m going to stop by tonight and try to take a photo whilst thinking about the ‘Elemental’ word.

11. JeenuPillai permalink
    10/08/2017 7:37 am

“As I wend to the shores I know not,
    As I list to the dirge, the voices of men and women wreck’d,
    As I inhale the impalpable breezes that set in upon me,
    As the ocean so mysterious rolls toward me closer and closer,
    I, too, but signify, at the utmost, a little wash’d-up drift,
    A few sands and dead leaves to gather,
    Gather, and merge myself as part of the sands and drift.”

These lines are just amazing. You have very beautifully summarized how we gather, regather, merge and drift ourselves like sand. All those people, memories, emotions everything.

I absolutely loved the images from the Hudson river too.

12. Nicole V permalink
    10/08/2017 7:42 am

Wow! Beautiful photos! I think I would have chosen water as well. It’s interesting because in some ways I’m afraid of the water but I am also intrigued by it.

13. jmsterb permalink
    10/08/2017 8:13 am

These are beautiful photos! I love walking along the Hudson as well.

14. Tanvi Rastogi (@Tanviidotcom) permalink
    10/08/2017 9:52 am

When I think of elements – water comes to mind first as well. Second is fire. What an interesting topic for a post. I can honestly say I have never thought about this before today. Lovely poem too.

15. Laura Dove permalink
    10/08/2017 11:38 am

What gorgeous photos! I have never seen the Hudson river other than on the television, these are lovely photos and another great photo challenge!

16. kaidigger permalink
    10/08/2017 11:40 am

I love all photos, very beautiful site, i would like to visit this place some day, btw what camera you’re using for taking pictures?

17. travel blogger permalink
    10/08/2017 11:53 am

Those photos of the Hudson River are so amazing! I want to get out and take some landscape photos now. There is something so serene about photos of the outdoors. I love to hike to feel connected to the earth and just hear myself think.

18. Parenting Healthy permalink
    10/08/2017 3:10 pm

We have been so busy with our move and my son’s camps that it has been a while since a hike or weekend camping. i need to lay by water again

19. Airra P permalink
    10/08/2017 9:42 pm

legit the sound of the water that u posted kinda made me relax on a Friday afternoon at work. its pretty busy today, this is a good ice breaker.

20. fashionenzymes permalink
    10/08/2017 10:28 pm

A photograph is a challenge is what which helps a person to innovate new ideas and view different aspect of life. I am also learning photography and it is a great experience so far.

21. alisonrost permalink
    10/08/2017 11:28 pm

I grew up on a farm in rural Iowa and truly there’s no better way to be connected to the earth than farming. In the summers we had a cottage on Lake Okoboji and spent our time on skiing on the water. Between the two, it made for a truly magical childhood. x

22. Yukti permalink
    11/08/2017 1:05 am

Choosing Elemental subject for photography is great as it connects your soul with nature. For me also when I see water or blue sky, I just get drawn towards it. Thanks for sharing!

23. toastycritic permalink
    11/08/2017 3:23 am

The pictures you have here are very beautiful. I do love the peaceful serenity that exudes from them. And it does take one back to the basics. Of course the Walt Whitman poem is pretty incredible as well.

24. tumandok permalink
    11/08/2017 3:48 am

I couldn’t stop my untold longing of what nature could give to humans. I am imagining the freshness, the unstoppable sound of leaves of the trees as blown by the wind. Nature has been abused. No chance anymore that it be restored to what it’s in the beginning of time. So sad 😧 – Gil Camporazo

25. JEANNINE DIPPENAAR permalink
    11/08/2017 4:01 am

Your photos are beautiful. How to capture air? not sure, but does make me think though, maybe using a balloon in some way?, water can be done with the correct camera settings. Such a fun challenge will let my mind go a bit and see if i can come up with something over the weekend. (i enjoyed the poem 🙂 )

26. Kait permalink
    11/08/2017 4:07 am

I love that poem by Walt Whitman! I remember reading his work as a kid and loving how moved he was just by nature. I have always been a nature lover, and there is something so peaceful about be immersed in it. Whenever I am having a bad day, going for a walk or jog outside always makes me feel better.

27. Benita permalink
    11/08/2017 5:35 am

This was beautiful. The place that I go to replenish my soul and connect with nature is the ocean. There I feel revived and refreshed. I try to take an annual trip to the beach and spend time being still. It’s at the ocean weaves come and go I see them and washing my soul of all cares and troubles.

28. livingworks60 permalink
    11/08/2017 5:38 am

This was beautiful and very moving. My place of connection is the ocean. I try to go on annually, it is there that my soul is revived and refreshed. As I stand on the beach and listen to the waves it is as if they are washing all of my troubles away and I feel close to God.

29. keisha1989 permalink
    11/08/2017 6:41 am

You got some great photos here. I am really liking your photo challenge and i enjoyed the poem too.

30. A Busy Bees Life permalink
    11/08/2017 8:10 am

You really have a way with words and your writing is beautiful. My little one is also very much drawn to water. So soothing and calming even when the waves crash.

31. brigettedanielle permalink
    11/08/2017 8:20 am

I love walking around and enjoying the scenery. Especially with my kiddos. It truly is a blessing to see all of God’s creations!

32. Krizia Velez | Reckless Babe permalink
    11/08/2017 10:09 am

Beautiful pictures and poem! When I’m close to nature, water mostly, I feel more alive.

33. JEANNINE DIPPENAAR permalink
    11/08/2017 10:28 am

I love water, rain, river, ocean, puts me at peace. I actually have an app with water sounds for the kids, work wonders. I think you did an amazing job with your photos.

34. Ronnie Epsi permalink
    11/08/2017 12:47 pm

I love how placid the water looks in your photo. There’s a certain stopping-of-time when when enjoying the quiet of nature.

35. ohmummymia permalink
    11/08/2017 1:36 pm

These pictures are really beautiful 🙂 Not big fan of this poem but pictures are amazing

36. Rosey permalink
    11/08/2017 7:02 pm

Water really can be healing. I’m torn though because while it does sometimes evoke those peaceful and happy feelings, there are other times it makes me very restless.

37. Nyxloves permalink
    11/08/2017 11:08 pm

Wow! I really liked the pics and the poem…water as an element is so beautiful. Great post!

38. kristal permalink
    11/08/2017 11:27 pm

Keep them coming these are all beautiful. Also can be great stock photos. You have a great talent.

39. hotrangianthu permalink
    12/08/2017 3:12 am

All your photos are simple, fresh, and inspiring, and the most interesting thing to me is that they are just reflecting what I witness around me every single day, familiar and breathtaking.
    Together with those beautiful lines of poems, I am truly refreshed.
    Also, water is an invaluable gift from Mother Nature, isn’t it?
    Thanks so much for sharing and inspiring.

40. Kristine Nicole Alessandra permalink
    12/08/2017 3:54 am

The sound of waves is so calming. If I had my way, I would love to live in a small house near the beach so I can hear that sound for the rest of my life. However, since our business and livelihood is in the city, I make use of a sound machine that gives me calming white noise – the different sounds it gives me – thunderstorm and rain, ocean waves, leaves rustling in the wind, and chirping birds. Me and my husband have the sound machine on our bedroom night stand. So relaxing to listen to elemental sounds.

41. Aditi permalink
    12/08/2017 4:58 am

Wow! All these pictures are so beautiful and calming. I love the smell of sand after rain and love clicking pictures of woods. Thanks for sharing!

42. Ma Charmaine Ness Nioda permalink
    12/08/2017 5:26 am

I like the sound of the beach really. It helps me calm and at ease relaxing from the stress of life. So, I really enjoy being on a beach.

43. London Mumma permalink
    12/08/2017 5:26 am

These pictures by the hudson river are exquisite, especially where the forest had been stripped due to the hurricane.

• 13/08/2017 1:47 am

Honestly, I didn’t do the horror of the stripped trees justice. It’s in a nearby town and I will venture out there and take better shots soon.

44. In Veronica's Corner permalink
    12/08/2017 7:25 am

I like going to the beach as I always feel more connected with the earth when I’m there. The ocean is so vast that it really puts the challenges and joys of life in perspective for me. Love your articles and appreciate you sharing your interests.

45. mitchellejuaban permalink
    12/08/2017 8:13 am

If I am to take a photo for this challenge I would take a picture of trees where the branches and leaves are swaying with the gentle breeze of the wind.

46. elenasts permalink
    12/08/2017 8:23 am

I love the pictures. I often wander outside and take random pictures. I enjoy being outdoors just enjoying nature. I also love the way you mix up the poems along with the pictures. Keep it up.

47. 12/08/2017 8:26 am

I’m always pleased to see photos of your area my love, it’s so beautiful!

• 13/08/2017 1:45 am

I never tire of nature… and life in a small village means there is only so much you can feature. Nature wins almost all the time. 🙂

48. Kiwi permalink
    12/08/2017 10:03 am

You always have the deepest post! Love the poem to go with the photography you took makes me feel like I was out in nature with you!

49. The Graceful Mist permalink
    12/08/2017 10:09 am

I appreciate the photos of nature. The little things that we can find in nature are so beautiful, it often calms me. Whenever there`s a heavy rain before sunrise or after sunset, I can just soak in the sound of the rain falling and feel the cozy atmosphere.

❀ Grace ❀

50. Bhushavali permalink
    12/08/2017 12:01 pm

Interesting way to interpreting sounds of pure nature for the Elemental topic! Even hearing the bustle of leaves in the middle of forest gives a similar feel!!!

51. annaszoke permalink
    12/08/2017 12:44 pm

These pictures are so beautiful. It was super hot in Hungary this week, so me and my little one were stuck in the house. These pictures brought me some refreshing nature, and coolness in these moment. Thanks for sharing.

52. charlsye2017 permalink
    12/08/2017 5:23 pm

Beautiful photos. I love the relaxing sounds of the elements. Flowing water, gentle winds and a small fire crackling are my faves.

53. Miss Millennia Mag (@MissMillMag) permalink
    13/08/2017 1:52 am

The sound of rain makes me feel so good! It makes me feel so peaceful! Love this post!!

54. Kelly Reci permalink
    13/08/2017 4:21 am

What wonderful and relaxing photos. Hanging out on the beach is so relaxing, especially when you hear the sounds of waves and wind, it feels like a massage in my mind. Especially when we are stressed, those are the perfect places to visit.

55. Vlad Vaida permalink
    13/08/2017 6:08 am

Beautiful photos as always Elizabeth! They make me feel so calm and relaxed. And not only the photos, but looking at the photos + reading the text makes me feel that way!

56. Keeping Up With Candy permalink
    13/08/2017 7:25 am

Other than the sound of the crashing beach waves, rain is one of my favorite sounds…especially at night! so soothing and relaxing!

57. Heather permalink
    13/08/2017 12:55 pm

I love this! We had a chance to lie in a tent this weekend and listen to the sounds of nature and it was pretty relaxing until a pack of coyotes came by. Then it got a bit scary, but still there is so much to hear and see if you just stop and listen.

58. chewoutloud permalink
    13/08/2017 5:11 pm

Being out in nature and hearing the basic water/wind/nature sounds are just so peaceful and relaxing…really brings us back to “earth.”

59. Lily Ashley permalink
    13/08/2017 6:22 pm

These pictures are so beautiful. The elements looks so peaceful. I would love stay there.

60. Meet Courtney permalink
    13/08/2017 7:34 pm

These photo’s are stunning. They truly capture how amazing God’s creation is.

61. Rebecca Swenor permalink
    13/08/2017 9:16 pm

This is an interesting post and topic. I really believe I am captivated by the earth or everything around me when I am waking in the woods. There are so many beautiful sounds and sights that are so calming to so many if they just listen. Thanks for sharing these awesome poems. your thoughts, and a great quote by Albert Einstein.

62. chicalgene permalink
    13/08/2017 10:08 pm

It’s satisfying to see the same theme in all your photos. It makes me feel that I’m connected with nature 🙂 Thanks for sharing this here!

63. Corinne & Kirsty 🌸 (@corinnekirsty) permalink
    14/08/2017 12:20 am

Nature is so big and diverse that there is always an opportunity for a photo. I could spend so much time just photographing flowers. So I completely get the appeal of nature and elements. Your photos are amazing and somehow super relaxing!

64. Amber Pittman | Wanderlust Conqueror permalink
    14/08/2017 6:00 am

Can’t go wrong with Walt Whitman!

Moreover, your photos are beautiful! Perhaps I need to start challenging myself as way to get stronger photography skills. 😄 You’ve inspired me to start!

65. Chei Pangan permalink
    14/08/2017 6:55 am

Your poem are really so wonderful. The sounds of the elements are making my mind so peaceful.

66. Sauumye Chauhan permalink
    14/08/2017 7:28 am

All of these photos are so beautiful. I love the poem & I wish I can visit the Hudson River someday!!

67. Erinn Sluka permalink
    14/08/2017 8:09 am

The pictures are beautiful. I love finding relaxation in art and photos

68. 14/08/2017 8:46 am

Love these words!!! And your photos are beautiful.

69. Momma Addict permalink
    14/08/2017 9:43 am

Your post is very soothing. The quality of the photos are amazing and show a calmness in nature. I do also focus on the water as it feeds everything around it.

70. Apolline Adiju💥 (@apollineadiju) permalink
    14/08/2017 10:39 am

Wow! This is so inspirational and I love the pictures. They are so beautiful.

71. RonRon permalink
    14/08/2017 11:12 am

Great poem, beautiful post, well written thoughts and explanation. All amazing!

72. Sherrie Allbritten permalink
    14/08/2017 11:46 am

Beautiful photo’s of all this wonderful nature we are surrounded by. The poems are deep and meaningful. Everything together just brings on relaxation.

73. Courtney Andrews permalink
    14/08/2017 4:19 pm

This post reminds me of one of my favorite words, which is “psithurism”. It means “the sound of the wind in the trees”.

74. Oyinkan permalink
    14/08/2017 7:12 pm

Great presentation of the elements. Such views of water & what seems like fresh air

75. arainofthought (@arainofthought) permalink
    15/08/2017 9:19 am

i love the water and trees and the whole concept of nature. I’m in an escape the clutter of everyday type of mood so those were very tranquil to look at.

76. nicoleflintkontrol permalink
    16/08/2017 9:18 am

I love the water! I love being near the water, love when it rains! Water can be very healing.

1. Elemental: Earth and Wind | What's (in) the picture?