Dale Chihuly: Dazzling Nights & Day at NYBG

05/05/2017

“I’m an artist, a designer, a craftsman, interior designer, half-architect. There’s no one name that fits me very well.” Dale Chihuly

Dale Chihuly: Dazzling Nights & Day at NYBG

Dale Chihuly: Dazzling Nights & Day at NYBG

Dale Chihuly: Dazzling Nights & Day at NYBG

Dale Chihuly: Dazzling Nights & Day at NYBG

Artworks by world-renowned artist Dale Chihuly are now on view at NYBG in his first major garden exhibition in New York in more than ten years. CHIHULY, presented by Bank of America, showcases more than 20 installations and includes drawings and early works that reveal the evolution and development of Chihuly’s artistic process during his celebrated career. nybg.org

Several years ago, on a trip to Chicago, I happened upon a Dale Chihuly exhibit that took my breath away. At the time, I had no idea who he was but after that, I never forgot his complex, magical, glass installations and you won’t either. Dale Chihuly is an internationally known and highly regarded master glass artist whose skill at glass art is often compared to Louis Comfort Tiffany. My first encounter with his work was at the Garfield Park Conservatory in Chicago. The Conservatory was having a huge exhibit of Dale Chihuly’s glass sculptures and I spent all day and late evening there. We are fortunate that we can experience the magical quality of his work again in New York. His massive installations will be at the New York Botanical Gardens from Saturday, April 22, 2017 – Sunday, October 29, 2017.  Make time to see it if you come to NY as it is worth the Night and Day experience.  Enjoy the photos and come back for more of his spectacular, intricate works of art later.

“Glass is the most magical of all materials. It transmits light in a special way … I’m pleased that my art appeals to so many people of all ages…” Dale Chihuly

Dale Chihuly: Dazzling Nights & Day at NYBG

Dale Chihuly: Dazzling Nights & Day at NYBG

On Saturday evening, one of my daughters accompanied me and we arrived around 7pm. It was still light outside and as  the evening sun settled down, the glass installations began to glow. It was truly beautiful and colorful, and we loved every minute of it. I can never get over the sheer magnificence of the size of his pieces, the vibrancy of the colors used, and the intricate way the pieces are made. Watching his glass art installations as they shimmer with light will hold you captive, read mesmerized, for hours; plus, his installations are magical. Do check out the exhibit if you can and do come back later for more photos.

Have a Happy, Healthy 2017!

Positive Motivation Tip: Make art a part of your lifestyle

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos from my Personal Collection

1. Beth Davidson permalink
    08/05/2017 5:14 pm

These are all glass? That’s crazy! It looks like you’re in another world or something.

2. Amber Nelson permalink
    08/05/2017 5:44 pm

Wow, what great memories you have made. Those photos are so amazing!

3. Rebecca Swenor permalink
    08/05/2017 7:08 pm

Dale Chihuly is indeed an amazing artist. I really had to look hard at the photos to see these piece were glass. It would be amazing to go to New York at the New York Botanical Gardens to see his work. Thanks for sharing these amazing pieces of art.

4. munniofalltrades permalink
    08/05/2017 7:29 pm

Being someone who knows very little about art, Dale Chihuly is somebody I have never come across. Your stunning clicks of the exhibit and reading about him has inspired to look up on his work. 🙂

5. Rosey Everyday permalink
    09/05/2017 12:47 am

I enjoyed learning about Dale Chihuly. His artistic talent is amazing. I love the photos of his pieces they are simply amazing.

6. LaiAriel R. Samangka (Thelittlelai: Beyond limits) permalink
    09/05/2017 2:29 am

I haven’t heard about Dale Chihuly yet. His work is really magnificent. I’m always a huge fan of art and how he manage to display all his works during the exhibit is really beyond compare. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

7. Nancy permalink
    09/05/2017 7:17 am

Never heard of Dale, but thank you for sharing his work. So beautiful and vibrant, I´m in awe of his creations. Amazed that ALL that is GLASS? I´d love to see these live and upfront some day. His make me respect artists all the more. They bring such magic into our sometimes dull world.

8. elenasts permalink
    09/05/2017 7:34 am

These images are breathtaking, you are so lucky you have been a part of the exibit, I wish I could participate as well.

9. Joanna permalink
    09/05/2017 10:00 am

I did hear about Dale Chihuly before but from what I see, his sculptures are really something. They inspire through their shapes and vibrant colors.

10. Wanderlust Vegans permalink
    09/05/2017 10:15 am

I’ve never heard of Dale Chihuly. He has some beautiful art that you have shared with us. If I see an exhibition during our travels I will make it a point to stop.

11. Tiina A permalink
    09/05/2017 11:13 am

Wow, what a dazzling images! Glass is magical material and combine with light it becomes amazing piece of art and installation.

12. Southern Mommas permalink
    09/05/2017 11:39 am

This looks like a blast! Very beautiful pictures.

13. beautyaddictmama permalink
    09/05/2017 11:47 am

What I love about this blog is the pictures. I’ve never heard of this artist but their work is utterly amazing.

14. Britta permalink
    09/05/2017 12:38 pm

Wow sounds like an awesome evening! Summer evenings and art – what a great combination!

15. Yona Williams permalink
    09/05/2017 5:06 pm

I remember seeing a Dale Chihuly installation in the lobby of a Las Vegas casino hotel, and it was incredibly mesmerizing. His art style is just so distinct. I can pick out his work in a heartbeat.

16. alisonrost permalink
    09/05/2017 9:07 pm

Glass art is some of my favorite, it’s so beautiful. I can’t imagine how long it must have taken to create some of the pieces in the photos! What truly amazing artists

17. Michelle Waller (@myblessedslife) permalink
    10/05/2017 6:07 am

Those pictures are just gorgeous. I haven’t heard of a place like this, but it looks magical to visit.

18. shubhadabhide permalink
    10/05/2017 7:06 am

Reminded me of some installations I have seen in Singapore. Beautiful indeed. Salute to creativity!

19. Krystal @ Sunny Sweet Days permalink
    10/05/2017 10:42 am

We have a Chihuly museum in my town actually and it is gorgeous! Loving the colors and vibrant work!

20. nicol permalink
    11/05/2017 3:21 am

every single one of those are absolutely stunning. i love things like these and how it comes to life during both day and night.

21. eloise25 permalink
    11/05/2017 11:36 am

that looks fun and artistic (just what I like!) I would love to see this in person some day… the colors are amazing : )

22. Tiara Wilson permalink
    11/05/2017 12:31 pm

It looks like you had an absolutely amazing time in Chicago. I hope that one day, I can go and visit! ❤

23. Peachy A. permalink
    11/05/2017 1:11 pm

It’s my first time to hear about Dale Chihuly but with his art, he seems so creative. It’s hard to make art with glass, I suppose.

24. Shaheen Khan permalink
    13/05/2017 10:04 am

Beautiful works of art. Thanks for this post that introduced me to this wonderfully talented artist. It’s so amazing what one can create with something so fragile. I love the gass installations displayed here.

25. Corinne & Kirsty 🌸 (@corinnekirsty) permalink
    22/05/2017 12:32 pm

These installations look amazing! I have never been to Chicago and I won’t be in NY when the exhibition happens but I would have loved to go! Art is so amazing!IT is such a great way of expression! xx corinne

26. thehouseturnedhome permalink
    02/06/2017 5:36 am

I’ll have to visit New York botanical gardens next time I’m in that area. Glass art has always been very fascinating, and these pieces by Dale are stunning!

1. Photo Challenge: Reflecting on Life & Art … | Mirth and Motivation