Haiku: On Feeling Knackered

28/04/2017

“There are only the pursued, the pursuing, the busy and the tired.” F. Scott Fitzgerald

Haiku: On Feeling Knackered - we find ways to rest

Haiku: On Feeling Knackered – we find ways to rest

They lay there knackered
feeling spent by life’s demands
Thankful for the rest…

A yawn, sleepy nod
the weary traveler’s sign
Exhaustion has won

When you feel knackered, don’t fight it. Take the time your body needs to rest or you will rest permanently in a cemetary. We burn ourselves out for nought. The rewards seem so great until our health fails.

“Fool that I was, upon my eagle’s wings I bore this wren, till I was tired with soaring, and now he mounts above me.” John Dryden

Haiku: On Feeling Knackered - we find ways to rest

Haiku: On Feeling Knackered – we find ways to rest

When she feels knackered
grateful she’s alive … not dead
In cemeteries…

Sleep calls the tired
demands we find ways to rest
or health pays a price

Nowadays, when I feel knackered, I ask myself what the work before me is worth over my health and life. I’m yet to find work that merits such a choice. I’ve never been one to lounge about doing nothing but I know that rest is what fuels our body, our creative output and helps us heal. I’m still learning to give in to exhaustion … it’s worth the rest. And you?

This post was inspired by a Daily Post prompt – Knackered – This week, Write a new post in response to today’s one-word prompt. Not sure how to participate? Here are the steps to get started.

Positive Motivation Tip:

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos: From Tired, Sleepy on Pixabay and/or my Personal Collection

1. Sadhna Shanker permalink
    30/04/2017 5:32 am

totally agree with you. no work or occupation is worth giving up on health. have seen many people do it endlessly. ‘We burn ourselves for naught” lovely!

2. Ana De-Jesus permalink
    30/04/2017 5:42 am

Your right. I burn myself out a lot because I want to do well but like you said it can make you feel really sick x

3. Marcie in Mommyland permalink
    30/04/2017 7:10 am

Resting is so healthy for your body. It’s a good opportunity to reflect on your life and goals while letting your body recharge.

4. Heather permalink
    30/04/2017 8:17 am

This is so true! The older I get the more I realize it is so important to listen to what you need, not what everyone else needs from you. I realize that if I overdo it continuously I will not be good for anyone.

5. Elena Nemets permalink
    30/04/2017 9:09 am

Thanks for the link to the daily post ideas! They come handy when you have a writer’s block sometimes.

6. Kat permalink
    30/04/2017 9:31 am

It’s very important to find some time for our body and soul to have a rest. Thank you for reminding me that after a tough week.

7. The Walking Map permalink
    30/04/2017 9:48 am

“So Tired” is an Ozzy Osbourne song!

8. Erica Crawford-Terry permalink
    30/04/2017 12:13 pm

Thanks for the awesome advice and reminder to stop and consider the effect on my health and body. Sometimes I work so hard and I continue going until I burn out. Now I know better!

9. Angela Milnes permalink
    30/04/2017 2:28 pm

Such a good post I love this message and so thankful that you share this Inspiring post.

10. Amber Nelson permalink
    30/04/2017 3:55 pm

I have never heard of being knackered, but after reading this I definitely can feel you there! Love this!

11. Keeping Up With Candy permalink
    30/04/2017 4:46 pm

I’ve never heard the word ‘knackered’ before. Think I’ll add it to my vocab and see what others will respond when I say it!!! #fbfab

12. Mommy Engineering permalink
    30/04/2017 5:05 pm

What a great Haiku! I remember having to write one in high school and sucking miserably at it! I like that you ask yourself if what you’re doing is worth the cost of your health!

13. marilynsocialpr permalink
    30/04/2017 6:14 pm

Wow, I love how you have used the word knackered in your Haiku! This was so creative and yes, it fits in well with how I have been feeling too.

14. Sondra Barker permalink
    30/04/2017 6:25 pm

I’m a firm believer that if your tired then you need to rest. There is nothing worth exhausting yourself over when it starts to affect your quality of life.

15. toastycritic permalink
    30/04/2017 7:45 pm

Wow.. knackered is a very different daily prompt. I am impressed that you could fit it into a haiku though. That’s awesome.

16. Queen Thrifty permalink
    30/04/2017 7:58 pm

Interesting post I had to read it twice, but I was able to connect. Thanks for sharing.

17. franckxethee permalink
    02/05/2017 12:36 am

Rest is really important. It’s part of the routine no matter how busy we get. We’ll get better and think a lot better.

18. Violinkit permalink
    02/05/2017 3:03 am

Yes there is nothing worse than working and slogging in life only to reap the rewards and then be too exhausted to enjoy them. Sometimes its more important to take “Time out” then wish you had more time………

19. Leo T. Ly permalink
    02/05/2017 5:28 am

I do agree that it’s important to take care of our health. I discovered it the hard way. I am now putting my health as my number one priority.

20. Cynthia Nicoletti permalink
    02/05/2017 6:23 am

I have to say when I first started to read your article, I did not know what knackered meant. They do say you learn something new everyday 🙂

21. Angela Ricardo Bethea permalink
    02/05/2017 6:53 am

I can totally relate. I also ask myself if the work that I’m stressing about sometimes is really worth it. We really need to take a break and rest to recharge.

22. Southern Mommas permalink
    02/05/2017 7:34 am

I completely agree. This is written very beautifully and well thought out!

23. MaryAnne permalink
    02/05/2017 7:59 am

Great advice! thank you for sharing this info, just looking at the pics make me feel lazy lol

24. Yuen Mi permalink
    02/05/2017 8:24 am

No work is worth the health risk….which reminds me, I really do need to rest. Thanks for this interesting post.

25. Marceline Dementori permalink
    02/05/2017 8:54 am

Awesome writing as always! I think we all need to slow down a little and just not think of the work that needs to be done. I tend to overwork myself and I instantly regret it.

26. beautyaddictmama permalink
    02/05/2017 11:38 am

The universe works in mystery ways! I am utterly exhausted today. I could sleep for a week but keep telling myself I need to work. This post has reminded me that I need to rest.

27. natalielovesbeauty permalink
    02/05/2017 11:53 am

Health should always be priority #1. I am usually one to give in to sleep when I am feeling knackered, but great reminder!

28. Angela Milnes permalink
    02/05/2017 12:43 pm

I love reading this and right you had a point, I feel burn out and suffering from sick I think due to heavy work, I need to have a good rest

29. Rose Sahetapy permalink
    02/05/2017 1:03 pm

This is something I need to remind myself..get rest when my body sends a signal of being knackered. Thank you for the reminder.

30. Thelittlelai: Beyond limits permalink
    02/05/2017 4:56 pm

This is such a reminder to everyone of us that we should as well give our jaded body a good rest when we feel like we really need it. sometimes, I abuse my body because of so many things that are always on queue to be done. Yes, I need to rest sometimes. Thank you so much for sharing!

31. The Trophy WifeStyle permalink
    02/05/2017 5:28 pm

Taking care of yourself and your health is so important. What’s the point of working yourself to death if you’re literally not healthy enough to enjoy it?

32. Mandy Young Carter permalink
    02/05/2017 5:32 pm

I used to not be able to relax or rest. But the past year or so I have learned to be present in the moment and enjoy the still. My life feels so much more fulfilled now.

33. Tiara Wilson permalink
    02/05/2017 6:19 pm

Wow. I loved this haiku. It was such a sweet! I need to take some time and remember to relax.

34. Cindy Ingalls permalink
    02/05/2017 8:04 pm

When your mind and body sends you a signal to rest, you should listen. This haiku is a great reminder of that.

35. Molly permalink
    02/05/2017 8:36 pm

I totally agree. You need to give your body rest when it needs it. If not, you might end up worse than you feel now.

36. Tiffany Yong permalink
    13/05/2017 11:40 pm

Yes, health is indeed the most important. No point losing health and getting stressed over things that is not worth spending / wasting your emotions over~