Weekly Photo Challenge: CONNECTED

04/09/2015

“One’s own self-worth is tied to the worth of the community to which one belongs, which is intimately connected to humanity in general … That’s what the human family is all about.” Wole Soyinka

Weekly Photo Challenge: CONNECTED - Family Connections @ a Sweet Sixteen Photo Shoot

Weekly Photo Challenge: CONNECTED – Family Connections @ a Quinceañera Photo Shoot

Weekly Photo Challenge: CONNECTED - Family Connections, bridges, and locations.

Weekly Photo Challenge: CONNECTED – Family Connections, bridges, and locations.

Those who see the cosmic perspective as a depressing outlook, they really need to reassess how they think about the world. Because when I look up in the universe, I know I’m small but I’m also big. I’m big because I’m connected to the universe, and the universe is connected to me. Neil deGrasse Tyson

For this exercise, I decided to go with a series of photos I took of a young woman celebrating her coming of age, 15th party, known as a Quinceañera. I mistakenly wrote earlier that it was a sweet sixteen which is celebrated in the US but this was not such an occasion. This was a very special, traditional Latin American event. Oops! She and her relatives gathered by the Tappan Zee bridge, with two professional photographers in tow, and took a ton of photos with the bridge and the Hudson River as beautiful backdrops. The beauty of her blue gown, the blue shirts, blue water and the bridge were emphatically announcing the connections she shared with all around her. In the distance was the lighthouse that added a sense of mystery to it all. It was such a joy to watch and before I knew it, I was taking photos of my own.

More below!

“I do believe we’re all connected. I do believe in positive energy. I do believe in the power of prayer. I do believe in putting good out into the world. And I believe in taking care of each other.” Harvey Fierstein

Weekly Photo Challenge: CONNECTED - Family Connections, bridges, and locations.

Weekly Photo Challenge: CONNECTED – Family Connections, bridges, and locations.

Weekly Photo Challenge: CONNECTED - Family Connections, bridges, and locations

Weekly Photo Challenge: CONNECTED – Family Connections, bridges, and locations

Mindfulness has helped me succeed in almost every dimension of my life. By stopping regularly to look inward and become aware of my mental state, I stay connected to the source of my actions and thoughts and can guide them with considerably more intention. Dustin Moskovitz

The other photos in my submission for this week’s exercise is of bridges; the Brooklyn Bridge, Tappan Zee Bridge, Bear Mountain Bridge and a connector bridge between two buildings near the Chelsea Market… In some fashion, we are all connected even when we observe others in celebration of traditions they hold dear, or when we cross a bridge from one locale to another. Have a Happy Weekend!

My fellow bloggers were equally creative with their selections. Check out how others interpreted the theme – CONNECTED  – below.

This post was inspired by a prompt from WP Daily Post: Weekly Photo Challenge:  CONNECTED –  In this week’s challenge, share a photo, a gallery, or a mesh of what being connected means to you. You may choose to focus on one of the verb’s meanings or on several, and you can go literal or figurative, abstract or explicit: whatever you see fit. I can’t wait to see the photos you share!

Here are a few tips to help you alter your photographic composition:
Photograph a person by beginning from their left side and slowly moving around to their right. Always have them either look directly at you, or ask them to focus on a spot on the wall as you move.
Take wide-angle shots and tight shots.
Photograph a plate of food from slightly above, from directly above, or making sure that part of the plate is cut out of the frame.
Photograph your child by getting down to his or her level or by standing just out of their reach as they swing on a swing.
Enjoy the process! I look forward to seeing your photos.

Positive Motivation Tip: We are all connected in some fashion; be it by six degrees of separation or through familial and friendship ties. Let’s celebrate that!

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos copyrighted and from my Personal Collection.

1. Masshole Mommy permalink
    04/09/2015 2:56 pm

I like to think I am connected to my family! We all know and get each other and that is a great feeling.

2. amanda permalink
    04/09/2015 3:24 pm

I think it is so incredibly important to focus on our connections. It is something that keeps up respectful and kind when interacting with one another.

3. patricemfoster permalink
    04/09/2015 4:32 pm

Another great read article was long but entertaining and engaging. Family connection is so important not just for holidays but everyday.

4. Debbie Denny permalink
    04/09/2015 5:21 pm

Just awesome pictures. Love that dress the girl is wearing. The bridges are neat looking.

5. Autumn @ Stay gold Autumn permalink
    04/09/2015 5:24 pm

What a beautiful dress and color!! I love the photography tips!

6. vegetarianmamma permalink
    04/09/2015 5:31 pm

The blue dress is beautiful, I bet the pictures turned out beautifully. Boy, it looks chilly! 🙂

7. Taylor Gilmore (@MsTaylorGilmore) permalink
    04/09/2015 8:04 pm

As usual, your photos are beautiful. The brilliant blue against the muted background is stunning! Love it!

8. Beth@FrugalFroggie permalink
    04/09/2015 8:34 pm

Great pictures. Have a great Labor Day weekend.

9. Melissa permalink
    04/09/2015 8:49 pm

These photos are fantastic! That blue dress is amazing, it looks like it is straight out of a fairy tale. I love it!

10. The Pink Caboodle permalink
    04/09/2015 8:54 pm

Just getting into photography…will definitely be doing this!!!

11. Shann permalink
    04/09/2015 9:12 pm

I believe we’re all connected too. Sometimes we don’t know how right away, but eventually it becomes clear.

12. The Foodie Affairs permalink
    04/09/2015 9:19 pm

Great series you photographed. Family and connection go hand in hand, and I love the tie to the bridges. Very creative!

13. Eileen Mendoza Loya permalink
    04/09/2015 10:08 pm

Connected. Such a big word. I worked abroad for two years and it was the homesickness that was killing me everyday. I needed to know how my children were doing everyday and as expensive as it was, I made long distance calls almost everyday, emailed them, and snail-mailed them just to stay connected.

14. shoma abhyankar permalink
    04/09/2015 11:15 pm

A bridge across forever!!

15. deafinitelywanderlust permalink
    04/09/2015 11:39 pm

Beautiful pictures! Wow, everything looks greatly captured! Thanks for sharing your tips. I’m always looking for ways to improve on my photography skills. As for the sweet sixteen, I think it’s a beautiful rite of passage.

16. victoria permalink
    04/09/2015 11:58 pm

I love your saying “Mindfulness has helped me succeed in almost every dimension of my life” this was caught my eye and imagining about the succeed

17. Katrina R. permalink
    05/09/2015 12:13 am

Wow, these are gorgeous shots! And her dress color against the background is just lovely. I always enjoy reading new tips to take better pictures, so thank you for sharing. Great post! 🙂

18. upliftingfam permalink
    05/09/2015 12:20 am

That is cool that you got to capture this amazing moment. I know 16 is a big deal for teenagers.

Thank you for sharing.

19. Acadiana'sThriftyMom (@acadianathrifty) permalink
    05/09/2015 2:55 am

I love all of the blue! These photos are beautiful 🙂

20. aurikamatias permalink
    05/09/2015 3:40 am

Loved the dress! Your photography skills is awesome

21. Dominique Goh permalink
    05/09/2015 4:15 am

Lovely to see the whole family decked out in blue.. Great shots.

22. Monica R permalink
    05/09/2015 5:58 am

Beautiful pictures and great post. I love how you brought the 3 things together this way.

23. Karla | karlaroundtheworld permalink
    05/09/2015 7:28 am

I believe we are connected, everyone is. We always say that the world is small and that someone knows someone. It’s these connections that make life meaningful

24. Jeanine permalink
    05/09/2015 7:58 am

What gorgeous photos. I love that color of blue, what a gorgeous dress. I am pretty connected to my family which I think is so important.

25. May De Jesus-Palacpac permalink
    05/09/2015 7:59 am

Oooh so this is the famous Hudson River and the Brooklyn bridge! I’ve seen this in the movies.

Thanks for the tip on photographing people. Once I get my hands on a camera that I can call my own, I’ll practice that. I like the idea of people looking directly at the camera. There’s just something about the eyes looking directly at you that tells a lot of story.

26. LizZ H. permalink
    05/09/2015 8:29 am

Another thought provoking excerpt from your mind. Thank you for this post. It is much appreciated.

27. 05/09/2015 9:30 am

I do believe we are all connected. Sometimes, you meet a person for the first time and you clicked right away. I think a connection has something to do with it.

28. Pooja Kawatra Gupta permalink
    05/09/2015 10:20 am

Well captured photos and it gives an impression of all the people in the photo that they are so well connected and looking for something together.

29. Rosey permalink
    05/09/2015 10:38 am

I agree, we are all connected in one way or another. And a happy, happy long weekend to you too!

30. nacaroinc permalink
    05/09/2015 1:00 pm

As always beautiful pictures. I love how you took amazing shots without being their actual photographer.

31. Emma Spellman permalink
    05/09/2015 2:12 pm

I love how they are all connected by the color of their clothes.

32. Chubskulit Rose permalink
    05/09/2015 2:38 pm

Blue is my next favorute color to red so these pictures are so captivating.

33. 05/09/2015 3:38 pm

Connections to family, friends, and strangers. Easy to overlook. Great post – to remind us….

34. Yvonne Bertoldo permalink
    05/09/2015 6:28 pm

First thing I noticed was the blue dress! It looks super gorgeous and princess like. Reminds me of Cinderella’s ball gown. Great pictures again 🙂

35. Dawn McAlexander permalink
    05/09/2015 8:03 pm

Her dress is gorgeous! I bet this was such a lovely day.

36. Jojo Vito permalink
    05/09/2015 8:07 pm

I like the theme connection and it shows in the photos, the clothing andthe background…

37. 06/09/2015 1:51 am

Those young people look truly connected to each other and the place they live in.

38. Tiffany Yong permalink
    06/09/2015 4:56 am

For someone celebrating her sweet 16, she does has loads of guy friends to take this shoot with her! Her white furcoat was especially eye-catching!

39. Fred Hawson permalink
    06/09/2015 8:00 am

Very nice to show connection by wearing the same color. That is why we also like to take family photos wearing the same shirt or variations of the same design and color of shirts.

40. Papaleng Pagulong permalink
    06/09/2015 8:14 am

Awesome photos and what a nice way to showcase what family connection is. Hoping that these people stays connected as they grow older or until the time the girl celebrates her Sweet 60.

41. Yona Williams permalink
    06/09/2015 8:23 am

Her blue gown is just gorgeous, and it looks like she had such a special day. I love the shot where she is alone at the bridge with her back to us – looking across the water.

• 06/09/2015 8:34 am

It was a Sweet Sixteen, coming of age photo shoot and a very important occasion in her life. I was there by accident, taking a walk and taking some photos of the bridge and Hudson River.

42. Papaleng Pagulong permalink
    06/09/2015 9:06 am

As always, your photos add glitters to your post. I think each one of us has some connections that we treasures.

43. What Fatemah Say's permalink
    06/09/2015 9:27 am

making good connections in life is really important. I love the photos you use in your post.

44. Kathleen Bailey permalink
    06/09/2015 10:48 am

What beautiful photos! Thanks for the composition tips, I think I’ll practice those.

45. beckysbestbites permalink
    06/09/2015 2:28 pm

I feel like I am very connected to my family and friends!! It’s a small circle, but a very solid one that makes me feel so loved!!

46. Alicia Marlene permalink
    06/09/2015 6:44 pm

Those photos are stunning and that dress..what I wouldn’t give to have that dress! I great post and it was definitely an amazing highlight for those stunning photographs.

Xoxo
    Alicia

47. Franc Ramon permalink
    07/09/2015 2:55 am

I agree that we are all connected someway, somehow. Each of our acts has in impact on others.

48. Maria Lianos-Carbone (@amotherworld) permalink
    07/09/2015 2:11 pm

I definitely feel more connected to some people than others. Usually I follow my gut when it comes to pursuing those connections.

49. I Love Paars by: Lee permalink
    07/09/2015 8:49 pm

Taking a photograph of a person is not that easy especially if you’re taking a shot with a great view or background and when they are moving as well.. I love taking photos of my child and scenery.

• 07/09/2015 9:32 pm

They had two professional camera men with them and I was more of an observer who took some shots as well. It was beautiful to watch and the setting by the river was gorgeous.

50. Anne V permalink
    08/09/2015 3:18 am

Relationships, a deep connection to family members is one of the most important things in life. What’s more important than family right? I love pictures like these were love is showcased in the most basic way.

It’s the trend now, the wedding and photography industry is indeed booming.

51. PrayerFull Mum permalink
    08/09/2015 7:58 am

I love the way you captured the photos, of the sweet sixteen photoshoots taken of the lovely girl and her friends, with the bridge in the background – talk about connections!

52. Karen of MrsLookingGood permalink
    08/09/2015 8:11 am

Our connections with other people whether family, friends, businesses all make life much more meaningful. In fact we all strive for much deeper connections as the ties make the relationships stronger.

53. sinyees permalink
    11/09/2015 8:23 am

Inspiring post. Everyone needs to stay connected with one another. Thanks for sharing.

54. Jasmine Espinal permalink
    11/09/2015 10:18 am

Love it! That blue really pops!