Weekly Photo Challenge: DOORS

03/07/2015

“Don’t spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door.” Coco Chanel

Weekly Photo Challenge: DOORS - All kinds of doors

Weekly Photo Challenge: DOORS – All kinds of doors

Where there is a will, there is a way. If there is a chance in a million that you can do something, anything, to keep what you want from ending, do it. Pry the door open or, if need be, wedge your foot in that door and keep it open. Pauline Kael

I love taking pictures of doors and my favorite shades tend to be red and orange doors, followed by white, blue, and then other colors. Orange doors are hard to come by so the Kyoto Temple door remains one of my all time favorite doors. There is something about a door that makes you wonder what’s behind it… Some tell happy stories and some mask experiences of horror and shame. Either way, I see doors as positive symbols of growth and prosperity but we must open them and venture out into the world. Doors open us to possibilities – we must walk through them to get from here … to there.

“Why do you stay in prison When the door is so wide open? Rumi

Weekly Photo Challenge: DOORS - All kinds of doors

Weekly Photo Challenge: DOORS – All kinds of doors

You have to come to your closed doors before you get to your open doors… What if you knew you had to go through 32 closed doors before you got to your open door? Well, then you’d come to closed-door number eight and you’d think, ‘Great, I got another one out of the way’… Keep moving forward. Joel Osteen

My collages are a mixture of door from around the world and even some doors in my neighborhood. Because I recently wrote a post that featured a lot of doors, I knew that I needed to take some new ones and add a few more to my collection. I took a walk this morning and carried my DSLR Canon camera with me. I was determined to find more doors and, like Joel Osteen suggested above, to keep moving forward. Some of the shots in the collage are from that walkabout. I enjoyed the exercise as it gave a\me a chance to explore the gardens again and I captured a few more photos of plants and deer… Yes, the deer are not afraid of us at all. I might upload a shot of one glaring back as I strolled along. Their nature doors lead to our doors.

“Happiness often sneaks in through a door you didn’t know you left open.” John Barrymore

Weekly Photo Challenge: DOORS - Some of my favorites

Weekly Photo Challenge: DOORS – Some of my favorites

In oneself lies the whole world and if you know how to look and learn, the door is there and the key is in your hand. Nobody on earth can give you either the key or the door to open, except yourself. Jiddu Krishnamurti
I have become my own version of an optimist. If I can’t make it through one door, I’ll go through another door – or I’ll make a door. Something terrific will come no matter how dark the present. Rabindranath Tagore

I love all the quotes I found, but the two above by Krishnamurti and Tagore gave me much to ponder. We do hold the key to our happiness door, and we must do everything we can to open it, keep it oiled and nourished, and let others we love and trust enter it to communicate and celebrate with us. A closed-door has nothing to give back to the world… Stay alert to those doors that open quietly and walk bravely through them.

“There is always one moment in childhood when the door opens and lets the future in.”Graham Greene

Weekly Photo Challenge: DOORS - Doors galore!

Weekly Photo Challenge: DOORS – Doors galore!

When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed-door that we do not see the one which has opened for us. Alexander Graham Bell
If opportunity doesn’t knock, build a door. Milton Berle

I hope you enjoyed your visit and my collection of doors. Do come back for more and take some time to create a collection of your favorites snap shots… Over time, you will find that your hobby will give you insights about life and much joy too. Go for it!

My fellow bloggers were equally creative with their selections. Check out how others interpreted the theme below.

This post was inspired by a prompt from WP Daily Post: Weekly Photo Challenge: DOORS  For this week’s photo challenge, publish a new post with a photo of a door (or multiple doors!). Consider how color affects the image, but also think about size, shape, texture, and details — how might these elements add up to tell a story? Ready to walk on through? This week, share an image of a door.

Positive Motivation Tip: Doors are great pathways to ourselves and to all the things that can help us grow and prosper. Step fearlessly through that open door and embrace your great good fortune.

More Weekly Photo Challenge Posts

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos from my Personal Collection.

1. 03/07/2015 1:53 pm

That..is a LOT of doors, Reminding me the scene from monsters inc 😀

2. 03/07/2015 2:07 pm

I love that little round topped white one!

3. 03/07/2015 4:20 pm

Love all the doors and all the quotes. Thank goodness for that “door in childhood.” 🙂

4. Sabrina permalink
    03/07/2015 5:01 pm

A door can represent so many things – an exit to a problem, or an unknown opportunity. It’s amazing you were able to gather such inspirational photos on a subject many might consider mundane.

5. 03/07/2015 5:17 pm

What a wonderful collection of doors you have!

6. The Trophy WifeStyleCourtneyLynne permalink
    03/07/2015 9:32 pm

Omg so many cute doors!!! Doors are always such statement pieces! You can tell a lot about a door.

7. The *New* Classy permalink
    03/07/2015 10:08 pm

I really love all the pictures that you have shared of doors. Every open door is an invitation to try something new. 🙂

8. Heather permalink
    03/07/2015 11:00 pm

Love these quotes! As always very insightful and motivating! Happy Independence Day!

9. Leslie permalink
    04/07/2015 12:56 am

I love doors. I also like door handles. The more unique the better.

10. Esme Sy permalink
    04/07/2015 1:47 am

“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed-door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.” – Alexander Graham Bell

This is so true and I often think of this whenever I am going through something. It helps make me feel better and think positive.

11. 04/07/2015 2:55 am

I love your photos of the doors and especially this. Your posts always prompt me to think about things, and examine my accepted perspectives, and what can be a richer experience than that. Thank you always 🙂

• 06/07/2015 11:47 am

Thank you too dear Peter! I appreciate your feedback… Pardon my silence, I’ve been dealing with some serious back pain issues… TY!

Liked by 1 person

• 06/07/2015 11:48 am

I’m very sorry to hear that. Know you are in my thoughts and I hope you get better and some relief soon. That’s really horrid to deal with I know 😦

• 06/07/2015 3:18 pm

Thank you! It’s from an old accident(an elderly lady rear-ended me on a crossing in our village 10 years ago or so). It is now turning into a bit of a late day nightmare.

12. Rosey permalink
    04/07/2015 4:59 am

Some doors really are amazing. Some are menacing, others inviting, etc. I love to see the huge old doors on buildings that are old.

13. Jessica Beal Harlow permalink
    04/07/2015 5:53 am

This is such a beautiful collection of doors. I have a weird appreciation for the design and character of doors. I think it has something to do with opening them and embarking on a new adventure, experience.

14. WanderingCarol permalink
    04/07/2015 6:47 am

I love this post! I know that Chanel quote well as I’ve been planning to use it in a travel post, but the others are new to me. Your photos are really fun and colourful. Well done.

15. gettingfitfab permalink
    04/07/2015 8:41 am

I like this post, the pictures are amazing and I really like the quotes you used too!

16. sylvain landry photographe permalink
    04/07/2015 10:48 am

Nice! Come to see mine.

17. A.R. Román permalink
    04/07/2015 10:57 am

Beautiful doors and I too love red doors, but also the ones that are wood and left like that and have a few details.

18. Chubskulit Rose permalink
    04/07/2015 12:12 pm

All of these doors have special characters in them, makes it more unique!

19. jen permalink
    04/07/2015 1:35 pm

When I saw the open line I thought why on earth would you want to photograph doors but after looking at the pictures I get it. They are all so beautiful and unique. Great photography and unique idea for a post.
    Jen

20. beckysbestbites permalink
    04/07/2015 3:45 pm

Love all those doors and the storeis that they could tell!!

21. Jeana permalink
    04/07/2015 6:22 pm

I was recently in Italy and there are some AMAZING doors to be photographed there. Each one tells such a story!

22. jeanabeena permalink
    04/07/2015 6:23 pm

I was just in Italy and they had some amazing doors to photograph there. Each one told such a unique story!

23. R U S S permalink
    04/07/2015 9:07 pm

Oddly, I like taking photos of doors too. I’m guessing that I got this fascination from all my travels. Doors are like your opening slide for a presentation or your opening statements when you’re doing a speech. They say a lot …

24. Fatemah Sajwani permalink
    05/07/2015 12:20 am

These doors actually remind me of my mischief when I was a child, Ringing door bells and running away. LOL!

25. Fred Hawson permalink
    05/07/2015 1:24 am

This is a fascinating collection of photos. I never thought of collecting photos of doors, or that there were so many kinds of doors. Beautiful and inspired collection. – Fred

26. 05/07/2015 2:21 am

You have cornered the market in doors!

27. Crystal Wachoski permalink
    05/07/2015 6:08 am

I actually love doors. I think they can make a home look beautiful. They are like eyes to the soul.

28. Lois Jones permalink
    05/07/2015 8:57 am

I love looking at old doors. They are always so intriguing to me! I love the one with the iron hinge!

29. Nicol Wong permalink
    05/07/2015 8:59 am

ive got a lot of pictures of doors when i was in marrakesh. i love the design so much.

30. hannah gee permalink
    05/07/2015 11:08 am

Oh I love a good door, especially a statement front door! You have some great snapshots here.

31. Amy Kelsch permalink
    05/07/2015 12:19 pm

You found some beautiful doors to capture. Also love your quotes!

32. Krystal's Kitsch permalink
    05/07/2015 5:54 pm

I have always wanted a bright blue or red door. I think it is so welcoming.

33. Louise ღ (@louisechelle) permalink
    05/07/2015 8:13 pm

I too have a thing with doors but unfortunately, we don’t have much great looking doors in our neighborhood or country. They all look the same! The unique ones are usually found in restaurants and other establishments in a city.

Whenever I see great looking doors, it makes me imagine the beauty behind it too. Or at least what story that particular room or place offers its visitors.

34. Mellissa permalink
    05/07/2015 10:08 pm

These are some really great quotes. Really nice post.

35. Rebecca Swenor permalink
    05/07/2015 10:40 pm

These are really great picture of doors. There are some that are just so beautiful and others that make the home look homey. I love how creative this project was and unique it seems. Thanks for sharing.

36. sinyees permalink
    06/07/2015 1:50 am

In Malaysia, you don’t really find different nice and creative doors. What a sad case.

37. poojakawatra permalink
    06/07/2015 2:35 am

You have beautifully captured the doors though not many people can relate to it but i personally feel the positive energy from the different colours and different stages of life..

38. franck permalink
    06/07/2015 4:45 am

Nice concept with the doors. Somehow, I correlate doors with opportunities some you have to enter and some that’s shut, which means it’s not for you.

39. Jerusha permalink
    06/07/2015 6:38 am

I take pictures of weathervanes, manhole covers, and Coke machines, so I’m not judging. People don’t realize, but they do tend to look different, especially in tourist areas. I found a manhole cover for a seaside town that was covered with faux seashells. It was pretty neat! I love your idea though too… There’s so much symbolism to it. 🙂 – Jerusha, TheDisneyChef.com

40. kleebanks permalink
    06/07/2015 7:50 am

Love the pictures and the quotes. Who knew there could be so many variations in colors and architecture of doors, as well as analogies to what doors represent?

41. Nova permalink
    06/07/2015 8:04 am

this is a great blog, doors many ways of understanding,

42. Fan R permalink
    06/07/2015 8:09 am

Great shots of doors, I never realized how many we pass during our life. I also like Coco Chanel’s quote, some situations are hard to change, it is better to leave and find that open door.

43. Tiffany Yong permalink
    06/07/2015 11:25 am

Every door leads to somewhere, and every door represents an opportunity to some where, some how. But like what you said, sometimes, door is an invisible barrier to lock people in…

44. mrenkema79 permalink
    06/07/2015 7:42 pm

Beautiful doors!! I am so tempted to paint my front door bright red, but I’m not sure what my husband would think! Maybe i should just go and do it! 🙂

45. Manu Kalia permalink
    07/07/2015 6:02 am

Good timing! We just made a small house at our local place. I could use this designs. The red ones are my favorite.

46. Sunshine Kelly permalink
    07/07/2015 7:17 pm

I always love your photos because each of them has meaning to it. Door means opportunity, new opening and new beginning to me. If one door shut there will be more doors opening.

47. Peachy A. permalink
    08/07/2015 4:39 pm

These are really nice photos of doors. They almost look magical!

48. Peachy permalink
    09/07/2015 3:45 pm

Such pretty doorways! I’d like to have them printed out and framed!

49. Maria Lianos-Carbone (@amotherworld) permalink
    11/07/2015 4:11 am

Love the symbolism of doors. It’s amazing how we can look at a door and immediately imagine a whole scenario and history, all within an instant.

50. Crystal From Tidbits of Experience permalink
    11/07/2015 2:52 pm

I love these door quotes. They are so inspirational. I also enjoyed looking at the different doors that are available.

1. Door : The Daily Post’s weekly photo challenge - Sylvain LANDRY