Redefining the Medium: Fleeting Fame, Fast Friends and Social Media Connections Part I.

24/06/2015

Revisiting a familiar topic: Online Friendships, Fame and the world of Social Media… What are your thoughts?

Redefining the Medium: Fleeting Fame, Fast Friends and Shifting Social Media Connections Part I.

“The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile, nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when you discover that someone else believes in you and is willing to trust you with a friendship.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Korean Bell of Friendship

Friendship: the quality or state of being friendly, attached to another by affection or esteem: favored companion. Webster
Fame: the state or quality of being widely honored and acclaimed. Webster
Social Media: Social media supports the human need for social interaction, using Internet- and web-based technologies/tools to transform broadcast media monologues (one to many) into social media dialogues (many to many). Wikipedia

“Every expression of desired friendship has potential bite. Every smile reveals the teeth.” Dean Koontz

Friendship Highway - Tibet gorge

Recently, I watched Rabbi Schmuley Boteach speak about his tapes/new book

View original post 968 more words

1. Nova permalink
    25/06/2015 12:14 pm

I’ll try to look for that movie to see and be able to understand more about friendship, you are right, true friends are very rare to find. So we definitely treasure them no matter what.

2. Patrice M Foster permalink
    25/06/2015 3:48 pm

Love motivational Mondays: Determination friendship the quality of helping is a great idea and I especially like the word giving a kindly smile well said. Than you for sharing

3. acrogers26 permalink
    25/06/2015 3:57 pm

Very inspirational! I love your graphics, they are so calming! Nice little pick me up!

4. Jeanine permalink
    25/06/2015 4:07 pm

Online friendships are what I know. I don’t get along with many other moms in real life, I don’t have the same lifestyle, I can’t just stop and drop what I’m doing to go for coffee or hang at a park all day so I cherish my great friends online!

5. Liz Mays permalink
    25/06/2015 4:22 pm

I have managed to forge some strong connections through social media. It’s a great way to easily find people with similar interests.

6. 25/06/2015 4:24 pm

I love what Ralph Waldo Emerson have said about friendship, it is true but sometimes it just the opposite that happens/.

7. Dhemz permalink
    25/06/2015 6:56 pm

Such a great topic to share. Oh, social media!

8. SweetMemoirs Page permalink
    25/06/2015 6:58 pm

Just the other day, I met an IG friend in person. Social media can be a great medium to meet inspiring people and potential real life friends if only you know how to use it wisely.

9. Karen Dawkins permalink
    25/06/2015 7:34 pm

True friendship is one of life’s greatest gifts.

10. Norah permalink
    25/06/2015 8:12 pm

Online friendships can be meaningful. Through blogging I have made some amazing friends and it’s been super positive thus far.

11. ronleyba permalink
    25/06/2015 10:06 pm

Friendship comes in many forms and ways. Love how you defined it here.

12. upliftingfam permalink
    26/06/2015 10:33 am

I have learned over the years that friendships come and go. God puts people there for certain seasons of our lives. Some people are there for a short time while others are there for the long haul.

13. JessicaACassidy permalink
    26/06/2015 11:19 am

Those are breath taking photographs. It would be so amazing to visit them.

14. Tami permalink
    26/06/2015 2:37 pm

I like Ralph’s quote.

Friendship has been wasted on so many backstabbing users that it’s hard for me to trust anyone with my friendship.

15. Stephanie Pass permalink
    26/06/2015 3:27 pm

That quote by Emerson is just lovely.

16. Rosey permalink
    26/06/2015 4:36 pm

I love the picture. As for social media, I have a love/hate relationship with it. 😉

17. Gena permalink
    26/06/2015 7:29 pm

I love the Dean Koontz quote! Definitely makes you think.

18. thedomesticbuzz permalink
    26/06/2015 8:07 pm

This is a good topic to revisit, as things have changed so much in the social media world in the past 6 years. I’ve made tons of friends! Fame? Not so much.

19. Papaleng Pagulong permalink
    27/06/2015 1:20 am

Ah, this is something interesting. Eager to read Part 2.

20. Sabrina permalink
    27/06/2015 5:00 am

I’m just starting my blog journey and I’ve only had brief moments of social media fame. It’s so important to keep things in perspective!

21. Rebel Sweetheart permalink
    27/06/2015 6:06 am

Stunning photos! I would love to see that Korean Friendship Bell up close and personal one of these days. 🙂

22. Dawn McAlexander Crawford permalink
    27/06/2015 5:58 pm

Is that temple in Tibet as well as the Friendship Highway? That would go hand and hand. I love the way the temple looks.

23. Sharon Ulery Ruggieri permalink
    29/06/2015 8:15 pm

Ya know, sometimes friendship can be more rewarding and intimate than other relationships