For Our Sheroes: #WomensLives Matter

25/02/2015

I write for those women who do not speak, for those who do not have a voice because they were so terrified, because we are taught to respect fear more than ourselves. We’ve been taught that silence would save us, but it won’t. Audre Lorde

Poems For Our Sheroes:  #WomensLives Matter

Poems For Our Sheroes: #WomensLives Matter

For every woman caught in the crossfire of war

For every woman locked up and jacked up

For every woman oft ignored

For every woman shamed and raped

For every woman used and abused

For every woman stripped of humanity

For every woman fighting for her dignity

For every woman hurt by our Heroes

For every woman violated and victimized

For every woman demeaned and demonized

For every woman lifted and celebrated

For every woman hugged by our Heroines

For every woman supporting our Sheroes

WE can do it!

I think the girl who is able to earn her own living and pay her own way should be as happy as anybody on earth. The sense of independence and security is very sweet. Susan B. Anthony

Poems For Our Sheroes:  #WomensLives Matter

Poems For Our Sheroes: #WomensLives Matter

Let our hearts and fingers do the talking

to bridge the gap between the sexes

to mend the fence between the races.

Each time we write or clap our hands to show our humanity

Our hearts and minds reach out to form a net,

And spread the word that each of us

Can make a difference…

Our fists are formed in victory

Each time we gain equality

Because we understand the message being sent

From our Sheroes to our Heroes…

#WomensLives Matter

We paved the road for Rosie

and Fem Ale  found their way…

But finger-pointing isn’t enough

Our mudras must include us all; men and women

Offering olive branches across the globe

to heal the wounded child in each of us.

Each time I see a Sister cry, her tears are clear,

like yours and mine

Each time I see a Sister hurt, red blood splattered

like yours and mine

I shed some tears and say a prayer

So why is there  a creative divide?

When talent comes in all forms and stripes

Each year, we find ourselves torn and pained

by hashtags like #‎OscarsSoWhite‬ …

We catch our sisters falling and we cradle those in pain

For every time we touch another

Our healing hands create a circle of love

And together, we can hold up the sky

to form collectives of strength

and mutual respect.

“Any time women come together with a collective intention, it’s a powerful thing. Whether it’s sitting down making a quilt, in a kitchen preparing a meal, in a club reading the same book, or around the table playing cards, or planning a birthday party, when women come together with a collective intention, magic happens.” Phylicia Rashad

Poems For Our Sheroes:  #WomensLives Matter

Poems For Our Sheroes: #WomensLives Matter

Ode to Our Painful Past

Which drawer did you open today?

Who stepped out?

The little girl who knew too much?

Silenced by her bullies…

So who stepped out?

The aging goddess who refuses to play an ingénue?

Still aching for one more turn…

Lights, Lights, come get me!

Which drawer did you close today?

What slipped out?

The painful, shameful memories of hate-filled venom?

Verbal bullets hurled your way…

For being who Creation made thee!

So what slipped out?

The incarcerated, aggravated babe?

Banging on wretched “equality’s” door…

Being told to find your feminine ways

What drawer did you envision today?

What came forth?

The girl child learning how to thrive

Amongst her peers across the globe

From Mogadishu to  Malawi

And every place we go

We want everyone to say

Just #AskHerMore  and #AskHerMore!

We affirm YOU…

This post was inspired by: Public Radio International (PRI) and SheKnows Media  on the #‎womenslives‬  initiative by spreading the word.  and By WP Writing 201: Poetry: Heroine, Fingers, Drawer

For More: Women’s Lives & Issues

Positive Motivation Tip: For all our Sheroes and heroines who hold up the sky, we can do it.

More Wellness Boosters/Affirmations & Resources

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS:From Oceanbryggeriet, my Personal Collection, and collage from Plan it & Wikipedia,

1. Ben Butler permalink
    25/02/2015 3:09 pm

This is a really great post. I have so many female friends who should really read this.

2. Terri's Little Haven (@terrishutterbug) permalink
    25/02/2015 3:31 pm

Thank you for sharing and for your photos. Womens lives do matter and even though this is off topic, I learned sign language when I was small because I had a deaf friend. Your photos made me realize how much I miss her.

3. Masshole Mommy permalink
    25/02/2015 3:40 pm

Girl power.

I am a firm believer that girls can do anything guys can. And why not? We rock.

4. Liz Mays permalink
    25/02/2015 4:14 pm

I really enjoyed the Huffington Post video. The academy has a lot of parallels with congress. There still seems to be a long way to.

5. Kathy permalink
    25/02/2015 5:07 pm

I love your post! Women are powerful! I know we can do anything anyone else can. I really enjoyed the Huffington Post video as well. We have come such a long way!

6. ninasaysblog permalink
    25/02/2015 5:28 pm

Women are strong. Women are powerful! This is a great read, thank you.

7. Autumn Blues Reviews (@AutumnBlues) permalink
    25/02/2015 5:58 pm

Excellent post. Loved the photos. Very motivational. Thank you for sharing.

8. Ann Bacciaglia permalink
    25/02/2015 6:04 pm

Girls can do everything a man can do. I think women have come a long way.

9. 25/02/2015 7:06 pm

Independent women should be saluted and respected. Everyone deserves the freedom to do what they want and what they can. It’s really great that there are lots of groups who are supporting women’s rights.

10. Lindsey (@kindred_spirit) permalink
    25/02/2015 8:30 pm

I love this. It resonates with me because I feel strongly that women should be empowered to believe in themselves and have confidence in their judgement and decisions.

• 28/02/2015 9:11 am

Thank you and I feel the same way too. It saddens me when I come across women who treat each other with disregard. We can all do better.

11. glam tee permalink
    25/02/2015 8:33 pm

Thank God I am a woman too. Your site has made me believe that I too do matter. THANK YOU!

12. Beth@FrugalFroggie permalink
    25/02/2015 9:09 pm

I do believe that women together can be magical. It is important to lift up people.

13. 25/02/2015 11:49 pm

Thank you for your empowering, thoughtful, and engaging post! Really appreciate reading it! 🙂

14. 26/02/2015 12:14 am

Women are pretty amazing. I didn’t see the Oscars but I did see the Arquette video clip and she was pretty spot-on w/the equal rights for women speech. I was surprised and glad to see it.

• 26/02/2015 8:52 am

I skipped the Oscars this year too; in protest of how under-served women are in that community; especially women of color. Yes, Arquette was adding her voice to the issue. Thank you! 🙂

15. Amy G permalink
    26/02/2015 3:19 am

Great poems! Go Girls!

16. 26/02/2015 3:37 am

I saw a moving and, in some ways terrifying programme on the birth of the Suffragette movement in the UK, and it emphasised the appalling conditions many women operated under, and many still do. Apart from anything else, I always think, for one person or race to subjugate another just crushes so much of the potential and beauty out of them, and what a tragedy that is. One of my heroines is Malala Yousafzai, the girl who was shot by the Taliban. How I wish that courage as extraordinary as hers was not needed to bring attention to some of these injustices and prejudices. OK, I’ve gone off on one here, but you can see I care a lot about it.

• 26/02/2015 8:41 am

Yes, I can tell you care deeply about these issues… Maybe, sadly, a tad more than some of us who either choose not to get it or are simply not well-informed about these issues and need to pay attention and be educated about this. As we used to say in Women’s Studies, we all mis-educated by the Patriarchy, and some of us make great effort to challenge the hierarchy and set things straight. We’ve come a long way and we have a long way to go. 🙂 Thank you!

17. Fi Ní Neachtáin permalink
    26/02/2015 5:11 am

What an inspiring post for women. I am loving the term ‘sheroe’ too, I have never heard that before.

18. 26/02/2015 5:28 am

that’s a good term “sheroes”!

• 26/02/2015 8:48 am

Hahaha! Yes, it’s a great term.Thank you!
      What a wonderful surprise to see you here Fritz. 🙂
      You’ve gotten so busy that the old days/ways are long gone.

19. livingoffloveandcoffee permalink
    26/02/2015 7:02 am

So happy when I meet a fellow #WomensLives blogger! It’s such an important message to spread and you did it wonderfully, beautiful post!

20. Beth Williams permalink
    26/02/2015 7:19 am

Loved this and seeing the sign language– very cool! I think it’s a great message to send. #Gogirls!

21. 26/02/2015 7:55 am

Great inspiration and beautiful poems!

22. roselynn787 permalink
    26/02/2015 8:12 am

So much empowerment! Such a great read for anyone not just females.

23. 26/02/2015 9:16 am

This is such an inspiring post. The sign language was a great visual as well, I think that was my favorite part.

24. 26/02/2015 9:17 am

A powerful, empowering and inspirational post Eliz, thank you.

25. Everything Home Life permalink
    26/02/2015 10:13 am

Thanks for such an inspirational and empowering post! I love the poems! Thanks for sharing!

26. mrenkema79 permalink
    26/02/2015 10:33 am

Wonderful post! Thanks for sharing!

27. Crystal (The Imperfect Mom) permalink
    26/02/2015 10:38 am

I love the sense of being free due to my education. I can take care of myself. 😉

28. The Trophy WifeStyle permalink
    26/02/2015 1:52 pm

Yes! Girls can do anything!!!im all about girl power and empowering others!!!

29. Krystal permalink
    26/02/2015 3:19 pm

This is super motivational. I am loving that sign language too! Thanks for the insight.

30. Jessica Beal Harlow permalink
    26/02/2015 4:53 pm

You always have such an important message to get across! I enjoy the poems and quotes you include to support awareness!

31. Dhemz permalink
    26/02/2015 5:35 pm

great composition! girl power rocks….:)

32. maggiesblog2 permalink
    26/02/2015 6:50 pm

So empowering and motivational!

33. 26/02/2015 7:37 pm

I love this post!!! Empower us powerful girl bosses!

34. upliftingfam permalink
    26/02/2015 8:03 pm

I know that everyone had their own.set of struggles in this life. I appreciate you standing up for those who can’t, too afriad, or just don’t know how. Thank you.

35. 26/02/2015 9:10 pm

Wow…I think this is the first time I’ve ever disagreed on something. I thought Arquette’s “speech” was a wretched disaster. Other than that, yeah…women, we’re only good for the kitchen thing, aren’t we? 😉

36. HilLesha permalink
    27/02/2015 1:07 am

This is one of the reasons why I avoid watching the Oscars or any type of awards show. Sadly, racism still runs rampantly.

37. 27/02/2015 1:57 am

I’m really liking the term “sheroes.” Great poem!

38. 27/02/2015 2:29 am

Powerful stuff. This is wonderful. We all matter.

39. Debbie Denny permalink
    27/02/2015 6:31 am

I love the Sheroes. Cool term and trus.

40. 27/02/2015 1:58 pm

I just LOVE the tern ‘SHEROES’ – that’s the first time that I’ve heard of that. With Women’s History Month coming up in March, I look forward to learning more about influential ladies in history.

41. Michelle Varga (@dustbunniesblog) permalink
    27/02/2015 7:15 pm

Beautiful post! This was a great inspirational post for women.

42. Alysia from My Domestic Dish permalink
    28/02/2015 12:26 am

Gah, this post is amazing. Truly powerful. I absolutely love it and have shared it. You write beautifully.
    Thank you!

43. 28/02/2015 4:17 am

Thanks for the great post. It feels good to be a woman in this world.

44. Maria Madrid permalink
    28/02/2015 4:53 am

I’m all for women empowerment. Sheroes sounds cool and proper for women heroes. 🙂

45. Elana Khong permalink
    28/02/2015 5:58 am

Great post! Women must really start speak up for themselves.

46. Mia Foo permalink
    28/02/2015 8:50 am

I don’t understand the set of 9 hand pictures for the poem for our sheroes. May I know what that means?
    Gender equality is a long journey towards an ideal world. May we get there someday.

47. 28/02/2015 9:59 am

Thanks for sharing this post and writing them to inspire, encourage all ladies in the world who have been through severe obstacles. It is possible to stand up again, as long as we have the will to do it! Every lady can be a Shero if she wants to!

48. Mazino Oyolo Kigho permalink
    28/02/2015 2:14 pm

I wish every woman will know this words that”…..the girl who is able to earn her own living and pay her own way should be as happy as anybody on earth. The sense of independence and security is very sweet”

I’m sharing this post on social media. Very powerful indeed.

49. May De Jesus-Palacpac permalink
    28/02/2015 2:54 pm

Yes, women’s lives do matter. This reminds me of Asma Jahangir who started a movement in her country to fight for the human rights of the women there. She’s been beaten up and put on house arrest, her life is constantly threatened in a place where women are blamed for being raped – and yet she stands her ground and continues to fight.

50. 28/02/2015 6:37 pm

I am all for woman empowerment and for girl power. I love home there are more women who excel in all sorts of fields. I like how there are more women who are not afraid to speak up despite threats and challenges that come their way. I’d like to think that I am one with a strong character and I’m the type who usually fights as well – not everyone always agrees with me, but I believe in making your voice heard instead of doing nothing at all. This is a lovely post.

51. Sunshine Kelly permalink
    28/02/2015 6:52 pm

I am proud to be a woman, we are stronger when we unite. Let our voice be heard and our lives be valued. Do not underestimate the power of women!

52. selly permalink
    28/02/2015 7:40 pm

wow, it is so true. we can’t do anything with our silence. speak what you wanna speak and tell the world about ur idea.

53. 01/03/2015 3:12 am

This is a wonderful post for all the women out there. I am a man but I welcome these types of views and articles. I work closely with women helping and empowering them to be better in life. To give them better view and perspective of themselves and continue to be the pillars of their homes. This is a must-share-to-women post! Women matter. My mom is a woman! 🙂 And a great one. A shero indeed!

54. 01/03/2015 7:26 am

This is a fantastic post! It is very inspiring. I think everyone should read this because it talks about things that are so very true.

• 01/03/2015 10:11 pm

Thank you so much Katherine, I agree that we all need to buckle down and deal with these facts… Ignoring them won’t make them go away.

55. sriches permalink
    01/03/2015 11:32 am

Women are by far the stronger sex… what we have to go through is unbelievable but we still get up. dust ourselves off and deal with it. A great motivational post! Sim x

56. Carly Anderson (@lipglosscrayons) permalink
    01/03/2015 12:48 pm

This post is amazing, thank you SO much for writing!

57. Don Martins permalink
    01/03/2015 2:35 pm

Awww! Wonderful. Nearly made me want to hug you. My favorite part which I can 100% agree on is “Any time women come together with a collective intention, it’s a powerful thing.” You should see when they organize rally or join in cooking a party meal. Though, they seem to pinch the meat in the name of taste.

58. 01/03/2015 4:51 pm

Those are some beautiful pictures and stories. Thank you so much for getting this out there for everyone to see. Yes women’s Lives DO matter.

59. Nanda Reis permalink
    01/03/2015 5:04 pm

This is such an inspirational post Eliz! I wish all women from all around the world would lift up their faces and be the best they can be in whichever manner they choose to do it! We have the power, and it is time to show it ❤

01/03/2015 5:06 pm

I do not know why there are still parts of the world, even in the most progressive and rich countries where women are still not treated equally. Patricia Arquette brought this up on the Oscar stage, and the reaction of the females in the audience was electrifying. – Fred

61. 01/03/2015 11:44 pm

Thank you for helping to empower women everywhere by sharing this post. Very powerful!

62. franckxethee permalink
    02/03/2015 1:47 am

I like the term sheroes over heroine. I guess, it’s time for woman power now and they do have to play a bigger and more recognized role in the society.

63. phyliciamarie permalink
    02/03/2015 1:50 am

the poetry here is really really good. I like how easy it is to understand and how clear the message is! As a woman, I stand with all the women to let all our voices be heard!

64. Vanessa permalink
    02/03/2015 9:36 am

I think women are the driving force of mankind. We are capable of giving birth, that is the most amazing gift that we have been bestowed with so every woman deserves respect.

65. Papaleng Pagulong permalink
    02/03/2015 2:11 pm

this post will surely inspire women to do their best. Women Power, go,go..go. Gonna share this to my friends.

66. Kylie permalink
    02/03/2015 6:48 pm

girl power, women power.. we rocks!~ Really appreciate the way you writes it.. 🙂

67. Karen permalink
    02/03/2015 9:21 pm

Happy Women’s Month! Cheers to us wonderful ladies around the world!