Photo 101- Week 2: A Symphony Of Six Photos

14/11/2014

“Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.” Chief Seattle

Photo 101- Week 2: From Connecting To Eating Pie? - Couple connects in a wall painting downtown, NY

Photo 101- Week 2: From Connecting To Eating Pie? – Couple connects in a wall painting downtown, NY

In today’s world, we’re more connected than ever. How will you capture our theme, connect, through your lens?

Day 1 – CONNECT : This painting is based on a classic picture that was taken in Times Square at the end of the war. Apparently, the sailor in question didn’t know the lady but in the joy of the moment, they connected. We connect with people every day in different ways. Some are loud and joyful, some sad, and some quiet. Go make a new connection today.

“So the pie isn’t perfect? Cut it into wedges. Stay in control, and never panic.” Martha Stewart

Photo 101- Week 2: From Connecting To Eating Pie? - Pie Galore

Photo 101- Week 2: From Connecting To Eating Pie? – Pie Galore NOT Cheesecake.

Food evokes all the senses: the scent of pastry baking, the sound of a fork clinking on a plate… This week, make our mouths water with stories about pie.

Day 1 –  ABOUT PIE: In case you were wondering about the pie connection, I merged the Weekly Writing Challenge with Photography 101. Ben wanted mouth-watering pie stories, and I thought this picture of 12 scrumptious slices of the most exquisite melt-in-your-mouth pies should make any pie lover salivate. We got them for a special occasion and they were worth every bite. They might look like cheesecake but they are real pie slices. I live in New York and being a fan of Junior’s, l know the difference.  The crust was buttery  with a slight hint of lemon, and crumbled in your mouth. If I recall, the flavors were: Chocolate Pecan, Pumpkin with Walnuts, Apple Caramel, Almond Pear with a delicious strawberry glaze, Chocolate with marzipan and coconut, and  Cranberry Banana. They were to die for and each slice was savored and carefully eaten off the dessert plate with no crumb left untouched. Look at the picture again and frankly, you don’t need an occasion to enjoy phenomenal pie. Just go for it.

“To underestimate one’s thirst, to pass a given landmark to the right or left, to find a dry spring where one looked for running water – there is no help for any of these things.” Mary Austin

Photo 101- Week 2: From Connecting To Eating Pie? - Empire State Building. A NY Landmark

Photo 101- Week 2: From Connecting To Eating Pie? – Empire State Building. A NY Landmark

Landmarks are everywhere: iconic places, meeting points, markers on a map. Today, consider a unique point of view as you photograph a landmark.

Day 2 – LANDMARK  I love the empire State Building not just because ti’s a popular landmark in NY , but also because I see it on my way to church every Sunday and it looks different each time. This is not my best shot of it but I like that you can see Macy’s too … another Landmark building in NYC.

“Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.” Albert Einstein

Photo 101- Week 2: From Connecting To Eating Pie? - Beautiful purple hued plant abloom

Photo 101- Week 2: From Connecting To Eating Pie? – Beautiful purple hued plant abloom

Capture a moment, big or small, and pay attention to the lines and curves produced by nature.

Day 3 – NATURAL WORLD I captured this shot at the post office yesterday. What was equally amazing is that there were pansies blooming right next to it… This is not typical of fail but everything is crazy these days! Enjoy the gorgeous colors of nature.

“The fall is my favorite time of year. I love the colors. The sun is out, you get warmth on your skin but there’s the coolness of the breeze. It’s really comfortable.” Ricky Skaggs

Photo 101- Week 2: From Connecting To Eating Pie? -  A Summer Sunset on the Hudson

Photo 101- Week 2: From Connecting To Eating Pie? – A Summer Sunset on the Hudson

Today, capture an image of warmth, ideally using the sun as your source.

Day 4 – WARMTH When I think of warmth, I imagine warm summer beaches and cooling water nearby. This was taken in the summer and I bet that man in the boat was enjoying the warmth of the setting sun. I hope this evokes some warmth for you too.

“Mystery creates wonder and wonder is the basis of man’s desire to understand.” Neil Armstrong

Photo 101 - Week 2: From Connecting To Eating Pie? -  A Mystery at the Cloisters

Photo 101 – Week 2: From Connecting To Eating Pie? – A Mystery at the Cloisters

Show us something uncertain, and manipulate light around you to enhance the mood of your image

Day 5 – MYSTERY Who knows where her journey will end. We enter the unknown and hope there is light on the other side… That remains a mystery. What do you think?

My fellow bloggers were equally creative with their selections. To check out how others interpreted Week 2, use the tag – Photo101

This post was inspired by a prompt from WP Daily Post Photo 101 Course: Photo 101- Week 2: From Connecting to Eating Pie  This week, I included the Weekly Writing Challenge Assignment to my post. Yes, that Pie story is from there. Photo 101 had five themes: Connect, Landmark, The Natural World, Warmth and Mystery. Even though registration has closed, you can still follow along. The tag is photo101

Positive Motivation Tip: Food is a great way to connect with others. Find ways to do so this holiday season.

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos from my personal collection.

1. 14/11/2014 1:03 pm

Now i really want cheese cake lol. Love the pictures

2. 14/11/2014 1:04 pm

I can’t help wondering about the real lady and the sailor!

3. rmanea permalink
    14/11/2014 1:22 pm

I too love the Empire State building.. it stand for so much in NY and in my mind.

4. 14/11/2014 1:30 pm

Enjoyed your interpretations.

5. 14/11/2014 2:41 pm

I love all of the photos, very creative.
    Although it wasn’t your intent, I’m now craving pie. 🙂
    Terri R Beavers

6. Michelle permalink
    14/11/2014 3:01 pm

This is beautiful! I love colors 🙂 so vibrant and beautiful

7. 14/11/2014 4:17 pm

Oh wow, your pictures are poetry! I love “nature” most and well, the pie. I’m not a pie-lover but I’m drooling over it, haha. Thanks for adding the quotes, they add more insights to each image.

8. 14/11/2014 4:22 pm

Wow amazing pictures just loved the purple plant.

9. 14/11/2014 4:41 pm

That mystery one turned out really neat. I also love the shot of the city view.

10. Andrea Callahan permalink
    14/11/2014 4:51 pm

You made me miss NY! I love that city!!!

11. Ben Butler permalink
    14/11/2014 5:05 pm

Those are beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing them. I love that purple cabbage thing.

• 16/11/2014 12:50 am

Thanks Ben. It’s a decorative cabbage and the color drew me in. The glow is from the reflection of the sun, hence you also see shadows. 🙂

12. Courtney permalink
    14/11/2014 5:08 pm

Haha food really is a great way to connect with others 😉

13. 14/11/2014 6:59 pm

Beautiful pictures. I love the nature! 🙂 something I wanted to take myself… 🙂

I also got stuck with the picture of the man kissing the woman.haha was that in a room? I saw the aircon and the window.hahah

14. 14/11/2014 7:14 pm

I just love the image captured in that wall painting! It’s a classic that really stops and makes you feel the moment.

15. ninasaysblog permalink
    14/11/2014 7:44 pm

That cheesecake is calling my name. I need to get out of my small town.

• 15/11/2014 5:59 am

Thank you Nina! Why are some calling it cheesecake? It’s pie slices and the closest dessert it comes close to is a tart. My kids are not fans of cheesecake at all so I wouldn’t buy it for a special family occasion. I should know the difference. 🙂

16. 14/11/2014 8:30 pm

Amazing shots! I love seeing photography of places around the world!

17. Debarpan permalink
    14/11/2014 8:47 pm

wow!such a great posts with some amazing pictures but the one thing that I like the most in this whole article is –>”Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.” Chief Seattle……such an amazing quote…I truly in love with it from now I believe.

18. 14/11/2014 9:33 pm

I love the cabagge picture.
    Nice gallery of pics.
    Margarita

• 15/11/2014 5:52 am

Thank you! 🙂 I enjoyed picking the shots from my collection. Like any other hobbiest, I take pictures all the time and have an external drive of thousands of photos. Why external drive? Years ago, my kids downloaded a virus on our family desktop that wiped out all our pictures and my saved writings. We learned the hard way. After that, we each got laptops and I started adding my pictures to an external drive. 🙂

19. 14/11/2014 9:44 pm

I’d love to see the Empire State Building…..one day perhaps, it’s such an iconic landmark. That pie is making my mouth water, what a delicious variety!
    Loved all your photos but the one I like the most is the plant, such pretty colours; I think it’s an Ornamental Cabbage.

• 15/11/2014 5:46 am

God bless you Barb! 🙂 I suspected it was related to the cabbage family, but I couldn’t remember its own name. If you ever come to NY, give me a heads up and I’d gladly show you around. Thank you so much! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

20. 14/11/2014 10:35 pm

What beautiful pictures and that cheesecake looks yummy!

21. 14/11/2014 10:37 pm

I was going to ask if you got the images off google when I read that you have it as your own collection! gosh… the sunset picture gave me so much warmth…

• 15/11/2014 5:39 am

Oh Tiffany dear! 😦 not off Google. For our photography challenges, we have to use our own pictures. If we use other sources we must identify the source. I’m an amateur photographer. Thank you for bringing this up. My photo challenge pictures are from my personal collection of photos I take. I take pictures almost every day and sometimes at night. I love to practice so I can get better at it. 🙂

22. 15/11/2014 12:25 am

Excellent post !!

23. 15/11/2014 12:36 am

These are all beautiful pictures. I have always loved the first one and the story behind it- so great!

24. truthbeautified permalink
    15/11/2014 2:58 am

the photos are so beautiful! city views are always gorgeous

25. 15/11/2014 3:16 am

The connect picture is so beautiful and I agree, food is a great way to connect with new people. Thanks for sharing dear 🙂

26. Robin (Masshole Mommy) permalink
    15/11/2014 3:47 am

Look at all that pie! I am drooling over here. Have a great weekend.

27. julianarw (@julianarw) permalink
    15/11/2014 4:18 am

I like your pie photo 😀 Gorgeous photo…

28. 15/11/2014 4:56 am

Your photos are lovely! I wish to visit the Empire State Building soon… and eat some of those pies!

29. franckxethee permalink
    15/11/2014 5:14 am

I like the eating pie photo not only because it’s a nice photo. It also looks so tasty.

30. 15/11/2014 8:09 am

What an amazing post. Very inspiring. I love they way you interpreted the shots. Thank you for sharing this!

31. 15/11/2014 9:48 am

That picture of all the pies looks so nice, I would love to try them all!

32. 15/11/2014 10:46 am

oh my, love the looks of this ‘cheese cake like’ pie looks delicious

33. 15/11/2014 11:11 am

Stunning photos ! haha same like everyone else here I would love to eat that pie 🙂

34. 15/11/2014 11:12 am

Stunning photos. haha same like everyone else here I would love to eat that pie 🙂

35. katrinagehman permalink
    15/11/2014 11:40 am

i love these photos, they look awesome, especially the first one. i think that would be my favorite.

36. Vanessa Ally permalink
    15/11/2014 12:25 pm

I love all the photos but the kissing couple grabbed my attention. It is amazing how the vivid colors of the picture match the overall positive feeling of being in love. I wish this feeling could last forever.

37. Songbirds & Buttons (@KendallRayburn) permalink
    15/11/2014 12:54 pm

Oh my goodness that pie photo!! Yumm!

38. Victoria permalink
    15/11/2014 2:03 pm

I just love the pie. It looks delicious.

39. Amanda @ Adorkablii permalink
    15/11/2014 3:25 pm

I love all the photos. I want the pie. I just want to eat the whole thing! haha

40. Ann Bacciaglia permalink
    15/11/2014 6:49 pm

That pie looks so delicious i wan to try all the flavors. These are great photos.

41. Lisa Rios permalink
    15/11/2014 6:56 pm

Amazing pictures. I love the pie. sunset picture and the purple plant as they all look so natural & live. And your description for each picture adds more value to this article. Great Job.

• 16/11/2014 1:39 am

Thank you so much Lisa! I appreciate the time you took to really check out the photos and post. It was a fun exercise and I hope to keep it up after the month ends with a series of my own. Thank you!

42. 15/11/2014 7:54 pm

Gorgeous. I love that..couple connects in a wall painting downtown, NY..

43. 15/11/2014 8:34 pm

As what I said in your past photo challenges, you really have a skill in photography and I’m more interested to see your future shots.

I totally agree with the first one: CONNECT. It’s true that we connect every day with different people in the simplest ways. Some of us don’t take advantage of that to meet new friends or gather new connections but some like me, I take my time to know at least their name so when I come across them again, I would be greet them.

I love your shot of the sunset. Sunsets & summer are my favorite time/season. It gives me that sense of fun, comfort & hope.

• 16/11/2014 12:34 am

Thank you Louise, I feel the same away about how we connect. I love that it’s different for everyone yet important. I’m also a big fan of summer.

44. 15/11/2014 9:20 pm

The pictures are awesome! But I like the pie picture the most! 🙂

45. 16/11/2014 12:25 am

I love that first picture. I am a big fan of the original photos so this painting is beautiful.

46. Fi Ní Neachtáin permalink
    16/11/2014 4:25 am

Fabulous photos! I love the look of that pie, my mouth is watering now! 🙂

47. sriches permalink
    16/11/2014 5:06 am

Some stunning images! The first image – Connect – very famous and poignant image from the war. Adding colour has added a totally different outlook to it! Simone x

48. 3xhcch permalink
    16/11/2014 6:57 am

Your picture of the various pie slices is so colorful and tasty, you’ve got me craving for a slice right now! Then there is that rather ironic picture for warmth about the cloisters. At first glance it looked like a winter scene. – Fred

• 16/11/2014 11:38 am

Oh, the Hudson sunset is the picture for warmth and the Cloisters for mystery. Did I caption them incorrectly? Must go check. TY! 🙂

49. 16/11/2014 11:10 am

Beautiful photos! The pie one has me drooling, LOL. I love the twist on the photo of the sailor kissing the young lady. I have seen the original and this version just brings it to life!

50. 16/11/2014 12:32 pm

Photos are simply beautiful. I miss NYC. I used to live 20mins from the Big Apple. Sigh. The memories!

51. 16/11/2014 4:58 pm

I’d really like some of that pie! The rest of the pictures are beautiful too!

52. 16/11/2014 6:22 pm

I’ve always been fascinated by the sailor and the lady, and was excited when I read an article that the identified the sailor (sadly, he passed away…). I love your pies photo and the one with Empire State Building, they are very nice.

53. 16/11/2014 7:19 pm

Those are gorgeous photos! The top picture melts my heart because my parents served in the Navy, went to Pearl Harbor, and posed in front of the statues doing the same kiss!

54. 16/11/2014 7:41 pm

The photo with the pies is my favourite!!! Looks delicious enough to eat off the picture 😀 A Mystery at the Cloisters has a dream-like feeling..

55. 16/11/2014 7:42 pm

The first photo is very eyecatching and looks like it’s glowing! How do you do that? ;O

• 16/11/2014 11:43 pm

I was at the top of the mountain and the sky and clouds had a bright shimmer that worked well with the shot. All natural no editing. Thank you!

56. Carly Anderson (@lipglosscrayons) permalink
    16/11/2014 9:08 pm

Wow, these are all such gorgeous photos! I think my favorite is the summer sunset, though. I sure am going to miss a summer sunset now that it’s almost winter!

57. phyliciamarie permalink
    16/11/2014 10:04 pm

The photos are beautiful! I’m currently enjoying this weekly challenge series you have going on. As for that pie photo, that almond pear with strawberry glaze sounds soooooooooo yummy!!!!

58. 17/11/2014 5:45 am

Eeek! I love the various types of pie 🙂

59. papaleng007 permalink
    17/11/2014 6:11 am

Those are just beautiful photos and the thoughts accompanying each photo is awesome. AH1 that pie photo is so tempting. Last, that Summer Sunset at the Hudson really caught my attention. Nature is just awesome.

60. lynndeeee permalink
    17/11/2014 7:43 am

Lovely photos. I love the pie photo most of all. And I love your motivation tip too. 🙂

61. Melissa Smith permalink
    17/11/2014 7:54 am

I love all those bright vibrant colors in the first photo. But I’ll admit that i couldn’t concentrate after the pie. LOL

62. brandyellen permalink
    17/11/2014 8:16 am

This is just gorgeous. Thanks for sharing such a breathtaking photo collection. You really know how to capture beauty.

63. Jacqueline permalink
    17/11/2014 8:21 am

I’ve always loved Martha Stewart because she admits to not being perfect. Her trick is to make things appear to be perfect, so the pie quote was perfect 🙂

64. 17/11/2014 9:18 am

Your photos are beautiful and after seeing all those delicious cakes, all I want to do is eat some! It’s okay to eat cake for breakfast, right?

65. 17/11/2014 11:18 am

That pie looks to die for!!

66. Nicol Wong (@yuk_lui) permalink
    17/11/2014 11:20 am

thinking about it, ive never eating a dessert pie before. don’t think its as popular in the uk

67. Rebecca Swenor permalink
    17/11/2014 1:43 pm

You did a beautiful job matching the pictures with the themes. I love your photos and the last one A Mystery at the Cloisters is just so beautiful and filled with mystery. Love it and thanks for sharing.

68. 17/11/2014 8:55 pm

Wonderful pictures! I really love the painting in the beginning and the cloisters picture in the end.

69. kareen liez datoy permalink
    18/11/2014 1:26 am

Oh that pie! I so want to grab one lol! Your photos area amazing 🙂 Keep them coming!

70. Badet Siazon (@badudets) permalink
    19/11/2014 12:01 pm

I love those pies! And your posts along with the pictures had me thinking, this is very enlightening.

71. Hannah Staveley permalink
    20/11/2014 2:00 pm

Wow oh wow some amazing pictures with so many colors

72. 22/11/2014 8:05 pm

In today’s world I believe that we are less connected than ever, but I do love your photos. 🙂

Kindly leave a meaningful comment. "Thanks for sharing" is NOT meaningful. Thank You!