Veterans Day: A Tribute To All Who Served

11/11/2014
Veterans Day: Saluting All Who Served - 2014 Poster

Veterans Day: Saluting All Who Served – 2014 Poster

“Since the birth of our Nation, American patriots have stepped forward to serve our country and defend our way of life. With honor and distinction, generations of servicemen and women have taken up arms to win our independence, preserve our Union, and secure our freedom. From the Minutemen to our Post-9 /11 Generation, these heroes have put their lives on the line so that we might live in a world that is safer, freer, and more just, and we owe them a profound debt of gratitude. On Veterans Day, we salute the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Coast Guardsmen who have rendered the highest service any American can offer, and we rededicate ourselves to fulfilling our commitment to all those who serve in our name.” Excerpt from President Barack Obama’s Proclamation on Veterans Day 2014

Today, we honor and salute all of our armed forces; men and women, about 22 million Veterans have reintegrated into society, who served in the United States Armed Forces. On November 11, 1947, Raymond Weeks of Birmingham, Alabama, organized the first Veterans Day parade to honor our service men and women for their efforts. At that time, it was called Armistice Day. Later on, U.S. Representative Edward H. Rees of Kansas proposed legislation for a name change from Armistice Day to Veterans Day. President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed a bill in 1954 proclaiming November 11th as Veterans Day, and everyone honored that date until another change occurred fourteen years later. In 1968, the date was moved to the fourth Monday in October. Congress soon recognized the historical importance of November 11th and changed it back in 1978.

The American Veteran – Show #905
The tradition of having the ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery continues till this day. On the morning of the 11th, at 11AM, a group of guards from each of the military services, pay their respects to those who died at war in an impressive ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknowns. The President or his designated representative then places a wreath at the Tomb. A bugler sounds “Taps.” which is quite haunting and then the ceremony moves to the Memorial Amphitheater, adjacent to the Tomb. A “Parade of Flags” by Veterans service organizations is also part of the second half of the ceremonies performed on that day. The Veterans Day National Committee which organizes the ceremonies, also supports a number of Veterans Day Regional Sites: There are 67 sites in 39 states and the sites hold a variety of community celebrations, on Veterans Day, to honor the living and keep the memories of loved ones lost alive. Did your/your community participate in it this year?

More below
“Honoring the sacrifices many have made for our country in the name of freedom and democracy is the very foundation of Veterans Day.” Charles B. Rangel

The American Veteran – Women at War

One thing that stands out on this day is the spirit of gratitude that many express towards our servicemen and women. My prayer is that  all of us will remember to  give thanks for the blessings of freedom and peace we enjoy.  Let us add Peace to the top of our special list of gifts we plan to share with family, friends and ultimately, with the world today and throughout this holiday season. May peace prevail in our heart. What does this day mean to you? How do you honor Veterans Day?  Thank you.

Positive Motivation Tip: On Veterans Day, spend some time reflecting on how you can contribute to peace making in your home, community, country and globally. Each of us can make  a difference.

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos  Veteran’s DayVeterans-Armistice Day, via Wikipedia. VD Poster, via Dept of Veteran’s Affairs.

1. 11/11/2014 1:09 pm

Reblogged this on auntyuta.

2. 11/11/2014 1:10 pm

Thanks for this post, Elizabeth. I want to reblog it. Thanks

3. Robin (Masshole Mommy) permalink
    11/11/2014 1:51 pm

This was a lovely post. I am married to a Veteran, so this day has extra special meaning to us!

4. Courtney permalink
    11/11/2014 4:34 pm

Fabulous post!!!! And happy veterans day to all that have served ❤

5. 11/11/2014 4:54 pm

This is a beautiful post.
    Writing and photos! Happy Veterans day! What’s way to honor!

• 11/11/2014 6:22 pm

Thank you! My dad was in Burma back in WW1. He was very proud of his service there and so I always feel grateful for the bravery of our service men and women. If you can, watch the videos. They are very insightful.

6. Dawn McAlexander Crawford permalink
    11/11/2014 5:21 pm

Sending a special thanks out there to all of those who served. Thanks for sharing this extra special post.

7. rochkirstin permalink
    11/11/2014 5:55 pm

The veterans deserve to be highly respected. They have sacrificed a lot for the country.

8. Ann Bacciaglia permalink
    11/11/2014 6:28 pm

This is a great post. It is important to remember all the people who fight for our freedom.

9. franckxethee permalink
    11/11/2014 6:34 pm

Happy Veterans Day. They really deserve being honored for all their sacrifices and contributions.

10. 11/11/2014 6:40 pm

I am so thankful for all the veterans who make our freedom possible!

11. Pam Wattenbarger permalink
    11/11/2014 7:02 pm

Posts like these are always so touching to me. Most of my family has served in the military, so these always hit close to home.

12. Michelle permalink
    11/11/2014 7:20 pm

Great post! Very endearing to me and a proud salute to all!

13. Andrea Callahan permalink
    11/11/2014 7:29 pm

Our true heroes… Happy Veteran’s Day to everyone!!!

14. 11/11/2014 7:50 pm

We have many veterans in our neighborhood, and the flags are waving. My brother was on a supply ship off the coast of Vietnam, and my dad in World War II.

15. Catherine S permalink
    11/11/2014 7:58 pm

Thank you for a great post. Thank you to all the veterans, current and future military men and women.

16. Aisha Kristine Chong permalink
    11/11/2014 8:20 pm

Such a wonderful share of post you have here – Happy veterans day.

17. 11/11/2014 8:56 pm

The poster is very interesting, I haven’t seen that around. There is something very timeless about it, if it didn’t have the year 2014 on it I would actually think it were older!

18. 11/11/2014 8:57 pm

That’s a very interesting poster, there is something old-fashioned about it. If the year 2014 weren’t on it, I would think it was from many years ago! I like it though.

19. Christy permalink
    11/11/2014 9:31 pm

Thank you for sharing. I am extremely thankful for all the troops who serve for our freedom. I am also thankful for the spouses and children who support their soldier.

20. Liz Mays permalink
    11/11/2014 10:24 pm

I haven’t attended ceremonies here, but in my last town, I would go to the local cemetery where they had something for Veteran’s Day and Memorial Day each year.

21. 11/11/2014 10:49 pm

Thank you Eliz.

22. TMT permalink
    11/11/2014 10:51 pm

Such a beautiful tribute, our prayers go out to all our veterans and for all they did to keep us safe!

23. 12/11/2014 1:21 am

We do enjoy peace and freedom, and you’re right, it’s definitely something worth appreciating. We’re very lucky, and I’m very grateful. And I loved your post.

24. 12/11/2014 3:07 am

Beautiful tribute and a very well deserved one. Thanks for sharing x

25. 12/11/2014 4:21 am

A beautiful tribute to your heroes Eliz. We honour ours on our republic day, so it isn’t endowed with as much emotion and poignancy.

26. 조이 Czjai (@RebelSweetHrt) permalink
    12/11/2014 5:52 am

Lovely tribute to the men in uniform. Happy Veterans Day!

27. April Smith Decheine permalink
    12/11/2014 7:29 am

I agree, Amen to that! Beautiful post, hope your day was fabulous.

28. 12/11/2014 7:47 am

Glad you made a post dedicated to the veterans. It was good remembering them for keeping the people safe.

29. brandyellen permalink
    12/11/2014 8:04 am

Thank you for this beautiful tribute. I think our soldiers current and vets deserve our respect and appreciation shown all year round. So wonderful that you shared this!

30. 12/11/2014 8:14 am

Such a beautiful post, we have to respect the vets who went out and put their lives on the line for our futures!

31. 12/11/2014 9:14 am

Happy to hear that a day is dedicated to men who tribute their lives selflessly to the nation! Happy Veterans day!

32. 12/11/2014 9:16 am

I watched the Remembrance service here in the UK and it was truly moving. Not just the service, but also the interviews with the soldiers who went through such awful combat with such dignity and courage

33. 12/11/2014 10:31 am

Thank you for putting together such a special and beautiful post celebrating our nation’s heroes! Well done and so proud.

34. Lisa Rios permalink
    12/11/2014 11:07 am

Of course everyone of us can make a difference, by spending some time and finding ways to contribute to peace making globally & I accept it must start from our Home. Happy Veterans Day to all great people who have served for the nation.

35. 12/11/2014 12:04 pm

Thank you for sharing this! What a wonderful post!

36. klg1982 permalink
    12/11/2014 12:16 pm

I loved that people changed their profile pictures to veterans they knew yesterday. that was awesome.

37. hannah permalink
    12/11/2014 12:30 pm

Such a great post. Yesterday was such an emotional day.

38. 12/11/2014 1:01 pm

Such a wonderful post. I salute our heroes. Happy Veteran’s Day (belated).

39. 12/11/2014 1:36 pm

I have two uncles and an aunt who are/were veterans. Thanks for this.

40. Rebecca Swenor permalink
    12/11/2014 1:42 pm

This is an awesome tribute to those serving and those that have served. It is beautiful that people honor and salute our soldiers. Thanks for sharing.

41. 12/11/2014 2:21 pm

Happy belated Veterans’ Day! My grandfather had been in the navy during world war 2!

42. lilce51286 permalink
    12/11/2014 3:08 pm

I’m an honest person so once I read your title: I skipped right to the comment part. My dad passed this Feb he’s a 3x war vet amongst other awards and it was the army/veterans hospital that failed which caused my mom/I to loose out. So I can’t even bear to read it, I cried all yesterday, and still I’m messed up. I did see the pics there lovely but I can’t read your post. Sorry

• 14/11/2014 2:18 am

I’m so sorry to hear about your Dad’s passing. My deepest condolences to you and your loved ones. I appreciate your honesty and send you healing love and light during this difficult phase.

Liked by 1 person

43. Melanie permalink
    12/11/2014 6:20 pm

Very lovely tribute. This was a special post. Thank you!

44. Stephanie Keeping permalink
    12/11/2014 6:33 pm

What a great post. I have tons of navy family veterans in my family!

45. Victoria permalink
    12/11/2014 7:23 pm

What a lovely post. Thanks for sharing.

46. Fernando permalink
    12/11/2014 8:44 pm

Yes, we have to honor them and senior citizens too. This is the great way to thank them and give tribute for what they’ve done to our country.

47. 12/11/2014 9:06 pm

What a great post! So many have come back home and not gotten the respect they deserve. I am so thankful for all they have done to help keep our country safe.

48. casavilora permalink
    12/11/2014 9:12 pm

Our veterans need to be honored today and everyday! They are brave men and women

49. 12/11/2014 9:15 pm

Beautiful tribute for those who served for our country! I have a few uncles that served in the Army (5 out of 6 are now deceased, though).

HilLesha

50. A Dash of Sanity permalink
    12/11/2014 9:38 pm

This is a wonderful post! It’s so important to support and celebrate our vets!

51. phyliciamarie permalink
    12/11/2014 9:53 pm

This is beautiful. I always knew that this was celebrated annually, but never knew the rights were very precise and complicated. I love how women were not forgotten in the picture, where everyone who served is honored.

52. 12/11/2014 11:13 pm

All the respect & salute to all the veterans in the world. Their dedication to serve not only their countries but other nations as well is truly astounding.

53. 13/11/2014 12:48 am

I’m always in tears after watching the videos of soldiers who served the nation and missed the growing up journey of their kids. This is a good post as a tribute for those who served!

54. sriches permalink
    13/11/2014 3:15 am

A wonderful tribute, such a beautiful post! Lest we forget! Simone x

55. 13/11/2014 6:47 am

Honor! Courage! Loyalty!

Seems like easy to speak of yet so hard to do. My salute to those who fought and put their lives at stake for the sake of the next gen. 🙂

“Service” is such a profound word, bravery and courage, is such an admirable thing, and loyalty, is never something that could be bought, it’s usually given with a lot of sacrifice. 🙂

Thanks for sharing this…

56. franckxethee permalink
    13/11/2014 8:41 am

It’s nice also to thanks some moment to think of our role in peace and nation building. In this way, those sacrifices would be rewarded.

57. 13/11/2014 9:38 am

Happy Veterans day dear. I wish we celebrate this day for those who sacrifice for us back in India. 🙂

58. truthbeautified permalink
    13/11/2014 9:40 am

i love reading about other cultures and holidays overseas! It’s very similar to merdeka day here in Malaysia!

59. 13/11/2014 9:54 am

Veterans day is a day that everyone should salute our heroes regardless of your personal thoughts. A great post!

60. 13/11/2014 7:36 pm

I always have utmost respect for people who serve their own country. They’re so brave, they deserve to be honored. 🙂

61. Daphne Benosa (@dafnyduck) permalink
    13/11/2014 7:42 pm

l’ve always had the utmost respect for people who serve their country. Such a brave and selfless thing for them to do, they deserve to be honored. ❤

62. 13/11/2014 9:38 pm

Lovely tribute to Rememberance day .
    A day when Western worlds and those who are members of the Commonwealth, unite to remember our fallen Hero’s.
    Sadly it is also the day that we find new monuments erected, to remember new fallen.
    The cycle of war is an eternal curse on mankind.
    Ian

63. cambibsandbaubles permalink
    13/11/2014 10:33 pm

This is a beautiful post… Thank you for the tribute.

14/11/2014 1:07 am

We honor our veterans for the peace we enjoy these days. We hope we never have to experience another devastating world war ever.

65. 14/11/2014 4:16 am

Very inspiring, They all deserve our respect! Thank you for inspiring.

66. 14/11/2014 5:27 am

I am very thankful for what Finnish veterans did for us in the WWII. It is sad to see countries still fighting. I really think that people’s lives are worth more than many of the causes for the war.

67. Gillian permalink
    14/11/2014 6:21 am

Nice post. In Malaysia we only have merdeka day. It’s interesting to read about other cultures.

68. Sara permalink
    14/11/2014 6:22 am

We celebrate very differently in the UK. If you haven’t seen it already, Google ‘blood swept lands and seas of red’, it was an installation at the Tower of London last month with 888,000 poppies, one for each person who died in WW1 from the UK and the colonies…very moving!

69. 14/11/2014 6:23 am

My son and I went to the Veterans Day Parade at the Sacramento Capitol, much like what we did the past years. It’s a great feeling to be there and honor those who served our country.

Each American family has a friend and relative who has served so this day is very important to us. My father-in-law and my uncle are both veterans as well as countless friends.

70. Holli Ann permalink
    14/11/2014 6:48 am

What a great post, I’m so thankful to all of our veterans who have dedicated their careers and their lives to help protect and serve this nation of ours.

71. 15/11/2014 5:55 am

wow! This is an amazing post! Thanks for the share! My grandfather was a veteran…

Dawn

Kindly leave a meaningful comment. "Thanks for sharing" is NOT meaningful. Thank You!