Music: Soulful Saturday Sounds…

21/04/2012

“Nothing exists without music, for the universe itself is said to have been framed by a kind of harmony of sounds, and the heaven itself revolves under the tone of that harmony.” – Isidore of Seville

Music: Soulful Saturday Sounds... India Arie...

India ArieStrength, Courage & Wisdom

Music: Soulful Saturday Sounds... Jay Sean...

Until it’s officially approved on YouTube, You can listen to the song I’m All Yours at akahiphop.com
Jay Sean ft. PitbullI’m All Yours Or download Yours.

I’ve never met anyone who didn’t have an appreciation for some type of music. While our tastes and interest in music might vary, we can all find sounds and songs that touch us, that make us dance, smile, and even weep. Last week, in my post, Music: Unwinding To Soulful Sounds, I shared some songs from artists who fall under the World Music genre. As I mentioned in that post, as often as is feasible, I’d love to share some of the sounds that cross my path; I’ll call it Soulful Saturdays. This week, we cover a broader range of musical styles: R&B, Afropop, Bhangra-R&B fusion, and Rock. I hope you enjoy the selections; the songs are as varied as the artists behind them. As per credits, my blog friend Akahiphop (great blog with a wide selection of the hottest sounds) led me to the R. Kelly, Kevin Rudolf, Rita Ora, and Jay Sean songs. Here’s I’m All Yours by Jay Sean.  Another blog friend, poet evocativeembrace, reminded me of the India Arie song.  The rest, Angelique Kidjo and Rihanna, are my choices. I’d love to hear and share what you listen to so stop by and leave me a line; credit given…

“I think music in itself is healing. It’s an explosive expression of humanity. It’s something we are all touched by. No matter what culture we’re from, everyone loves music.” Billy Joel

Music: Soulful Saturday Sounds... Angelique Kidjo

Angelique Kidjo  sings Batonga Live

Music: Soulful Saturday Sounds... Kevin Rudolf

Kevin RudolfDon’t Give Up

Music: Soulful Saturday Sounds... Rita Ora

Rita OraHow We Do(Party)

I saw Angelique perform her energetic, soul stirring music years ago. She hasn’t missed a beat and you’ve got to see her do a dance move in this video. Kevin is new on my horizon, but I love the message of his song and it’s a catchy tune too. Oh, yeah, I almost forgot  the talented up and coming artist Rita Ora – another Akahiphop recommendation. I promised to share some music from time to time… enjoy these tunes. More below! 😉

“Music can name the unnamable and communicate the unknowable.” Leonard Bernstein

Music: Soulful Saturday Sounds... Rihanna

RihannaWe Found Love ft. Calvin Harris

Music: Soulful Saturday Sounds... R. Kelly

R. KellyShare My Love

We can always trust Rihanna and R. Kelly to take their sizzling sounds to the next level. If these songs don’t appeal to your sensibilities, don’t kvetch, share what does and I’ll indulge you in a coming feature… If it’s music, it’s almost all good. 😆 Have a fabulous weekend!

Stay Inspired! What are your thoughts? What music are you listening to this weekend? Do you have any favorite artistes you’d like to introduce? What would you suggest we listen to? Do share! Thank you. 🙂

*Please bear with me as I continue to catch up on your blogs and commenting… Thank you all for your patience! 🙂

Positive Motivation Tip: Soulful sounds calm our spirit and set the tone for a soothing day. Enjoy!

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos India Arie by Chris Hakkens,  Jay SeanAngelique KidjoKevin Rudolf, Rita Ora, Rihanna, R. Kelly by Nicholas Ballasy,  via Wikipedia.

1. 22/04/2012 12:17 am

music makes us happy 😀 nice post

2. 22/04/2012 12:26 am

Great post, Eliz! I love the way you add the music clips…I could spend hours just reading your blog. 🙂 Love the Billy Joel quote…and I agree with Leonard Bernstein…I think, as with art, music is a wonderful vehicle for expressing our feelings and emotions…for many it is better than verbal expression.

• 22/04/2012 10:11 pm

Ty and I enjoy this… even if we lose a few songs now and then. I’m still plodding my way through the blog list I have and alphabetically too… Will visit soon. TY!

3. 22/04/2012 12:33 am

I like the Angelique Kidjo video …

• 22/04/2012 10:12 pm

I do too; especially that little jig she does towards the end of the video. 🙂

4. teekay16 permalink
    22/04/2012 1:43 am

Very uplifting post. Music is feelings being heard. 🙂

• 22/04/2012 10:12 pm

TY! Music does set a mood for our day and I listen to some form of it daily… 🙂

5. 22/04/2012 4:46 am

Maybe our children are in need of “Uplifting”…they certainly love their music!…~mkg

6. 22/04/2012 6:02 am

No Sade?

• 22/04/2012 10:15 pm

Not this time… I love her music and have featured her in a number of blog posts… including the Freshly Pressed one… I’m adding new/different voices weekly. I’ll come back to her for sure. TY Tilly. 🙂

7. 22/04/2012 6:40 am

My fave is still the classic and beautiful, Diana Ross. Thanks!

8. 22/04/2012 9:05 am

Music from every genre has the ability to be my “soul” music, and although I don’t gravitate as naturally to Rihanna or R. Kelly (just as examples) in my daily play lists, I must admit that when I hear them I tune in and appreciate. I have satellite radio in my car and sometimes just for fun I play the “soul” stations and immediately feel an endorphin boost. I can’t listen and be passive, that’s for sure. Debra

• 22/04/2012 10:17 pm

I can see you already bopping up and down to your music. 😆 I hear you. I like a lot of music but some less than others. TY! 🙂

9. 22/04/2012 9:57 am

Thanks! I love Angelique, wow has that lady got soul!

• 22/04/2012 10:18 pm

She is amazing and has been at this game for many years. I’m always happy to watch her videos and hear her music. 🙂

10. 22/04/2012 11:54 am

Great post, music and writing go hand in hand

• 22/04/2012 10:19 pm

That is so true and I’m listening to Musiq Soulchild as I write this… 🙂

11. 22/04/2012 1:07 pm

I think music honestly does soothe the soul. I couldn’t imagine living without it. This past week, when my little grandbaby was ill, I turned the stereo on, and despite his fussiness, he stopped crying to listen to the music. As always, your post is so well thought out, and with so many fine examples of your topic. Well done, once again!

• 22/04/2012 10:20 pm

TY Orples and I do hope your grandchild is doing better! Music helps a lot…

12. 22/04/2012 2:13 pm

thanks for introducing me to Angelique! love, love, loved it.

• 22/04/2012 10:21 pm

I’m glad you like this song. Check out her music when you can. She is truly versatile musically. TY! 🙂

13. 22/04/2012 4:43 pm

Good music… that’s what I need after a really stressful day 🙂

14. 22/04/2012 8:54 pm

Music is a big part of my life. I listen to it throughout the day whether it’s an snappy upbeat tune to energize me or a more mellow song to help me relax. I’m listening to quite a bit of bossa nova these days.

• 22/04/2012 10:23 pm

I listen to music every day in some fashion… Share some of your songs as I’m always open to new stuff. TY! 😉

15. Bree permalink
    23/04/2012 8:34 am

Very nice selection of songs. I’m enjoying that India.Arie song with its empowering message over again. I always like to hear what others enjoy so I can add to my repetoire.
    B

16. 23/04/2012 8:41 am

Music is the backdrop for my life. Thanks for sharing some of your favorites. 🙂 Always nice to discover new people.

17. 23/04/2012 12:56 pm

Always been a fan of India Arie, R.Kelly, etc. Now you have introduced me to some new artists again. Thanks a lot!

18. 23/04/2012 9:26 pm

Fabulous selection of Soulful Saturday Sounds, Elizabeth. You’ve hit on some of my favorites and introduced me to a few more. Love music, don’t know what I’d do without it.

19. 24/04/2012 5:28 pm

I love India!!!! In fact, perhaps a little India is good for today.

Hope you had a great weekend too, it is ANZAC Day here so I am using the time to do a bit of catching up! A day off mid-week is ALMOST as good as a weekend!

20. 24/04/2012 6:39 pm

Someone once said that music is the international language, but I don’t think that person ever anticipated rap/hip-hop and the disgusting foul language.

• 24/04/2012 6:50 pm

There’s room for all kinds of music and that is what makes the world go round… Not all hip hop uses foul language. I do love the genre for its gritty examination of the realities of life. 🙂

21. 03/05/2012 11:34 am

I just love this entire post–with so many different ways to enter into joy with the music. The Leonard Bernstein quote is especially treasured!

22. 23/06/2012 8:11 am

Reblogged this on Drayton's Gazette.

23. 23/06/2012 8:12 am

Love your blog!

• 23/06/2012 8:13 am

Thank you for stopping by and for the reblog. I will visit yours too. 🙂

1. Bubbbly gives us Sunny Soul Music | Villa Manor
  2. New Song: “I’m All Yours” Jay Sean Featuring Pitbull | Pitbull The Official Unofficial Site
  3. Music: Soulful Saturday Continues… | Mirth and Motivation