Weekly Photo Challenge: Fall…

28/09/2011
Spread the love

“For man, autumn is a time of harvest, of gathering together. For nature, it is a time of sowing, of scattering abroad.” Edwin Way Teale

Weekly Photo Challenge: Fall... Fall Pumpkins in a row...

Weekly Photo Challenge: Fall... Gourds everywhere...

Weekly Photo Challenge: Fall... Notice the gourd shape? The Swan shaped squash...

Weekly Photo Challenge: Fall... Indian Corn in Autumnal shades...

“The gilding of the Indian summer mellowed the pastures far and wide.
The russet woods stood ripe to be stripped, but were yet full of leaf.
The purple of heath-bloom, faded but not withered, tinged the hills…
Field head gardens bore the seal of gentle decay; … its time of
flowers and even of fruit was over.”
Charlotte Brontë

What does Autumn/Fall mean to you? Is it a time to recount your summer escapades? A time to pack away your summer things and focus on the changing season? I see Autumn/Fall as a time of change; a shift in pace and how we use our space… I see Autumn/Fall as a time of falling foliage, earth toned colors, pumpkins and gourds, squash and Indian corn… even a time to see fall blooms; chrysanthemums, shrubs with berries and flaming leaves…

“No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace. As I have seen in one autumnal face.” John Donne

Weekly Photo Challenge: Fall... A red leaf... a sign Autumn is around...

Weekly Photo Challenge: Fall... Blended leaf colors...

Weekly Photo Challenge: Fall... Fall foliage comes in many shades; yellows, browns, reds...

The one red leaf, the last of its clan,
That dances as often as dance it can,
Hanging so light, and hanging so high,
On the topmost twig that looks up at the sky.
Samuel Taylor Coleridge

With the changing colors of fall foliage come  Halloween and Rosh HashanahThanksgiving, Hanukkah and Christmas.  Autumn brings us together to celebrate. In the Autumn/Fall, we have lots to be grateful for and many holidays to bring friends and family together… What’s not to love about the season with two names? Autumn and Fall. We celebrate, we eat, we wear our cold weather clothes, we begin to think about what it would feel like to hibernate… again, we celebrate, we hibernate, and, as the year ends, some of us meditate on the joys we experienced this year. We prepare to bring in the New Year and bid the old one adieu. What will you do this autumn?

Weekly Photo Challenge: Fall... Autumnal flowers abound... A sea of mums...

Weekly Photo Challenge: Fall... shrubs in red...

Weekly Photo Challenge: Fall... Suddenly; a fall Sunflower with bees gathering nectar

Besides the autumn poets sing,
A few prosaic days
A little this side of the snow
And that side of the haze.
Emily Dickinson

The changing colors and falling leaves remind us of both our vitality and our mortality… We know we’d better enjoy the present time than wait for another peek at summer. I plan to love and enjoy my autumn with verve, to take walks on the aqueduct, to dance in the yard with leaves around me, to gather my strength and stock up on soups, to read and write and rest.  Autumn offers surprises too; a sudden appearance of a sunflower swarming with bees; they need to stock up too. Autumn has its charm; I love fall clothing, those cozy and colorful sweaters, flowers and foods, especially those hearty soups… I love wearing my boots and wrapping a thick shawl around my shoulders, and I love the colors… Ah, the colors of Autumn.  Enjoy the selections. More Below. 😉

“Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns.” George Eliot

Weekly Photo Challenge: Fall... Fall is about Mutsu Apples above and visits to apple farms...

Weekly Photo Challenge: Fall... Fall is squash heaven in every shape and color...

Weekly Photo Challenge: Fall... We look for red and yellow leaves... then we say, "Fall is here!"

October gave a party;
The leaves by hundreds came –
The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples,
And leaves of every name.
The Sunshine spread a carpet,
And everything was grand,
Miss Weather led the dancing,
Professor Wind the band.
George Cooper, “October’s Party”

For those who wish to join October’s party, there are colorful things and plentiful food for you.  You can choose your foliage, apples, gourds, and filings for pies. Once you check the weather conditions, you can kick back and have a blast with all your friends. Autumn will gladly join you to cheer her on. What are your thoughts? What does autumn/fall mean to you? What fall things did you find? Did you have an easy or hard time with this prompt? Do share? Thank you! 🙂

This post was inspired by a prompt from WP Daily Post: Weekly Photo Challenge: Fall

Positive Motivation Tip: The changing seasons remind us of the changes in our lives… For every thorn, there is a rose that comes into our lives… All situations change. Cherish the time.

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos from my personal collection.

1. 29/09/2011 3:04 am

What a great harvest! I love the autumnal colours.

The natures seasons are also like the seasons of our life…

• 30/09/2011 12:03 am

TY PiP… I love autumn colors and coolness too… and the 4 seasons can definitely be reminders of the seasons of our lives.. TY! 🙂

2. 29/09/2011 5:17 am

Gorgeous photos – it really is such a beautiful time of year!

• 30/09/2011 12:04 am

Yes, it is… I love summer an d spring but I love autumn more… the colors are spectacular. TY! 🙂

3. 29/09/2011 8:39 am

All this talk of fall! Here we are in spring! I’m over the cold of winter, time to see spring flowers and green trees.

• 01/10/2011 6:27 pm

😆 Yeah, lucky devil… We are in fall, and then the cold of winter will meet us in the new year. Spring is so far away… Enjoy yours and share some flower photos. TY! 🙂

4. 29/09/2011 8:51 am

Beautiful shots, E! Especially liked the pumpkin patch (#1) and that gorgeous sunflower. Thanks!

• 01/10/2011 6:30 pm

Oh TY Nancy! The pumpkin colors really popped and that is why I chose it… That sunflower was in someone’s yard as I drove by. I pulled over, ran across the street and took some pictures; with other drivers looking and wondering what I found so interesting. Must say that since we started the Weekly Photo Challenge, I look for pictures like a paparazzi. 😆

5. 29/09/2011 9:10 am

A marvelous collection of fall photos and a well-written post!
    The beautiful ‘sea of mums’ photo and the poetic quote by Charlotte Brontë are my favorites. My favorite aspects of autumn/fall are the vivid, colorful landscapes and much appreciated, cooler weather.
    Thank you for the pingback.

• 01/10/2011 6:33 pm

TY! 🙂 The colorful landscape is a part of fall that I love too… I love fall clothing for the same reason; superb color schemes. 🙂

6. 29/09/2011 9:13 am

Just like you, I would like to think of Fall as a time of change, of new great beginnings to come. Its a time to start fresh, make new dreams into reality, make new wonderful memories. I will miss Summer but I’m looking foward to Autumns pumpkin promises…. Liz, thank you for sharing post after post of stories and thoughts that inspires, moves, motivates. Bless your generous heart. Your heaven’s sent and Fall’s sweet promise of beautiful transformation ahead. Stay blessed always my friend.

• 01/10/2011 6:37 pm

TY so much David… Your kind words make me thankful for blog friends. I love pumpkins too and their color. I must say the sentiments are mutual and I love the challenges; even when I have a hard time completing them.
      Stay blessed too! 🙂

7. 29/09/2011 9:43 am

What a nice post.I like the first one because I can feel the power of pumpkins.:) Have a good day.

• 01/10/2011 6:37 pm

I chose it for the same reason Coco! It had such a dominant presence and the color is so strong. TY! 🙂

8. 29/09/2011 9:48 am

Beautiful colors and composition! You outdid yourself on this one. So lovely! My favorite is the sea of mums. Happy Autumn, Elizabeth!! 🙂

• 01/10/2011 6:49 pm

TY Karen for your comment… I love those sea of mums too. Took them at a local nursery. Happy Autumn! 🙂

9. Bree permalink
    29/09/2011 10:58 am

I love autumn and everything about the season; the colors and coolness and clothing. I love your pumpkin it radiates so my joy and the sea of mums are stunning too. I love swan gourds and the sunflower, the red leaves and the mutsu apples. I love them all!
    Why do some people like your post and not comment? Where did you shoot the pictures with multitude items like th pumpkins and mums?
    You are a better photog than you think. Keep it up!
    B

• 01/10/2011 6:55 pm

TY for your feedback… I enjoyed this challenge and taking the pictures… Sometimes, we might like a picture without comment and each person has their own reasons; sometimes in a hurry, new to the blog, plan to comment later… etc, etc. 😉
      The mums and the other multitude fruit and veggie shots were taken at a local nursery in my area. They were kind enough and have a huge space so taking shots didn’t get in the customers way. 🙂

10. 29/09/2011 12:32 pm

you write: “Autumn brings us together to celebrate… We celebrate, we eat, we wear our cold weather clothes, we begin to think about what it would feel like to hibernate… again, we celebrate, we hibernate, and, as the year ends, some of us meditate on the joys we experienced this year…”
    thank you, again much more than a simple photo challenge …

• 01/10/2011 6:59 pm

TY Frizztext! I’m glad you enjoyed the accompanying words…As you can tell, I love this season; not too cold, not too war… and then some Indian Summer tossed in… Love it! 🙂

11. 29/09/2011 1:42 pm

What a beautiful collection of photographs and thoughtful words! Although we did not garden this year, normally fall is a time that says, Rest is near. 🙂 We have enjoyed the warmth of summer, but look forward to the coziness of winter, and are thankful for our warm home and precious family to share it all with.

I find the change of seasons a blessing, and I always look forward to the lovely, albeit fleeting, display that fall puts on!

• 01/10/2011 7:01 pm

TY Sheila, I feel the same way and love the changing seasons… although winter is not my favorite but it’s all good. The fall and its colors cheer me on. 🙂

12. 29/09/2011 2:42 pm

I do love this time of year, too. It is so inspirational with all the colors everywhere you look. Great photos!
    b

• 01/10/2011 7:02 pm

Yes, I love the inspiration we get from this season… It is quite poetic. TY! 🙂

13. 29/09/2011 5:49 pm

Autumn also means a slowing down to me; it means winter, a time of stillness preceding the possibilities of a new year. There’s always a sense of expectation in it for me–the joy of building up to something too wonderful to yet imagine! For a while, I assumed this was because of my late October birthday, but the joy’s held long since birthdays no longer were all-consuming to me. 🙂

• 01/10/2011 7:58 pm

Yes, it is a time for slowing down and gathering our strength for the long winter… I love the month of October… You are joyful and happy early birthday. 🙂

14. 29/09/2011 6:39 pm

love all those pumpkins!

15. 29/09/2011 8:35 pm

“Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.” Stanley Horowitz Absolutely accurate description!

• 01/10/2011 7:59 pm

Quite apt! I agree with Stanley’s description too! TY! 🙂

16. 29/09/2011 9:54 pm

Great pictures once again!
    I thought the gourd was a snake at first because the one in the background looked as if it was hissing with its tongue! 🙂

• 01/10/2011 8:00 pm

😆 It does look like it has a tongue… They were quite unusual in shape and I can see the swans and your snake too. TY! 🙂

17. 30/09/2011 12:52 am

You always have such great photo’s….the pumpkins, the sunflower and the colors of the fall leaves. This is my favorite time of year but today the wind is too strong. That I don’t like much.

• 01/10/2011 8:01 pm

I love fall and it has so much to offer that it makes the season easy to photograph… TY Jackie! 🙂

18. 30/09/2011 6:17 am

Oh, I can barely think about Fall. When I think about Fall, I think of nothing but change. Time passes, and everything around us changes. Next thing you know, birds are going to be hibernating too. In the winter, it is all about survival. Now that I mention it, the birds I see now may not be the same birds I see in the Spring. The old die, and new life is created in the Spring. It’s a terrible thing to witness that I don’t see as many birds in the Spring compared to in the Summer and Fall. I don’t know how many winters have they survived? How many??? That’s the question I ask.

• 01/10/2011 8:03 pm

Great question… I always imagine that when the birds take off, some go elsewhere, some die, and some return… Yeah, Fall is a great time of change… TY! 🙂

19. 30/09/2011 3:50 pm

Fall is a time to slow down, experience kinder weather, appreciate nature’s transitions, bake pies, freeze summer’s bounty.

• 01/10/2011 8:03 pm

So true… and get lots of rest, if possible. TY! 🙂

20. 01/10/2011 6:31 pm

Lovely representations of Fall. 🙂

It’s my favorite season. After the hectic and extroverted pace of summer, it’s nice to slow down a little and find time to go inwards.

• 01/10/2011 8:05 pm

TY Robin! It is actually mine too… I love the change of pace and the colors… The cooling weather ain’t so bad either. TY! 🙂

21. 03/10/2011 6:19 pm

What a beautiful collection of fall colors! I just love the color of pumpkins, its so vibrant. Fall really is such a beautiful time.

22. Amy Desrosiers permalink
    16/10/2014 4:00 pm

Pumpkins, Indian corn, and gourds are sprinkled throughout my home this time of year. I love fall so much but am eager for the Christmas season too.

23. Nicole Mamatofiveblessings Homeschooling permalink
    16/10/2014 4:47 pm

What pretty photo’s. Love the colors. I wish we had season’s here in Florida – to be able to see scenes like this in person.

24. 16/10/2014 5:02 pm

You caught all the aspects of Fall I would think of, great job this week.

25. Debbie Denny permalink
    16/10/2014 5:31 pm

Beautiful pictures. I love Fall.

26. Alisha Kostiuk permalink
    16/10/2014 5:59 pm

I love all of the beautiful colors of fall. The Indian corn is one of my favorites because it brings together all of the amazing fall colors.

27. Debbie Lamb permalink
    16/10/2014 6:28 pm

Great pics – Fall is beautiful in Wisconsin. I think Fall is such a pretty time of year!

28. 16/10/2014 6:45 pm

You always take such wonderful photos.

29. Elizabeth O. permalink
    16/10/2014 8:16 pm

I love fall colors, looks great in photos!

30. loisaltermark permalink
    16/10/2014 9:32 pm

Those pictures are awesome and totally show why fall is my favorite season.

31. Simply At Home Mom (@SimplyAtHomeMom) permalink
    17/10/2014 2:41 am

Your photos are beautiful and all of them remind me of the beauty of fall!

32. 17/10/2014 6:38 am

I really enjoyed looking at your fall photos. The colors are all so beautiful.

• 17/10/2014 10:46 am

So glad you did… I do love Fall and it always delivers. You know this post was written in 2011, right? Fall is evergreen. 🙂

33. Kathleen Bunn permalink
    17/10/2014 6:59 am

Great photos! I love all the different colors of Fall. I just wish the leaves changed color here in Florida.

• 17/10/2014 10:45 am

Some one else echoed your sentiments. Sometimes I wished it wouldn’t snow around here… The snow makes me sad.

34. Christy Hoover permalink
    17/10/2014 7:05 am

I am loving all the pretty fall pictures!! Thanks for sharing!

35. 17/10/2014 7:20 am

Loving your photos – I think fall is one of my favorite seasons to photograph. The colors and textures are always so amazing.

36. Ann B (@AnnBac9) permalink
    17/10/2014 10:19 am

Fantastic photos and I love the motivational tip. Exactly what I needed to hear today.

37. 17/10/2014 10:52 am

These beautiful photos make me want to head to the pumpkin patch this weekend! I just love fall.

38. 17/10/2014 6:01 pm

Your photos are beautiful!

1. Weekly Photo Challenge: FALL, #1 « Changeversations
  2. Fall-ing in Love – Weekly Photo Challenge (Fall) « aNTibaKTeRiYeL
  3. Weekly Photo Challenge: Fall | this man's journey
  4. Amazing Autumn Inspiration « Perfectly Prompted!
  5. October…A Reminder of Change! | Lifeweavings: A Creative Journey ~~~ joni beach