Motivation: What Should I Do With My Life?

27/02/2014

“Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can’t help them, at least don’t hurt them.” Dalai Lama

Motivation: What Should I Do With My Life? Serve  with your gifts

Motivation: What Should I Do With My Life? Serve with your special gifts

What Should I Do With My Life? Use Your Gifts to Serve Others: Why am I here? What is my life’s purpose? What motivates my actions? Most of us go through life unsure of where we stand or what we are supposed to do. One day, we are a dancer, the next a dealer. On and on, we go through life experimenting, but not quite sure what we should do. We forget that life is a dance and it requires specific movements from each of us. Even if we know what our purpose is, sometimes we find ourselves vacillating between choices; overwhelmed by our desire to do everything. It is not surprising that Rick Warren’s international best selling book, The Purpose Driven Life, gained much traction when it came out in 2002 and remains popular today.  Although we know intuitively that service to others is key to our collective survival, we still ask this seemingly challenging question: What Should I Do With My Life?

Why is this such a challenging question? Why do people feel challenged by this fundamental question about our life’s purpose?  Because we expect the answer to be complex and expansive.  While finding and focusing on our life’s purpose is an important raison d’être for most of us, we tend to forget that when we were born, we came with our own special brand of skills and gifts; what is often called the gifts of the spirit.

If we think back to our childhood days, we might get an inkling of what motivated our actions and kept our interests. I might fancy myself as a NASA Astronaut but I’ll never be one. What I can become is the best at my skill set – my gifts of the spirit. We are given gifts to be healers, teachers, servers, writers, leaders and the whole spectrum of skills/abilities because each of us has an important role to play on earth.  Until we tap into our OWN gifts and maximize them for the service of mankind – the upliftment of others – we will remain unsure.

“True happiness… is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.” Helen Keller

Motivation: What Should I Do With My Life? Focus on your unique apples

Motivation: What Should I Do With My Life? Focus on your unique Apple and stay motivated

What Should I Do With My Life? Focus on your Unique Apple and stay motivated: Unfortunately, many of us have interpreted the following line incorrectly: “You can Be Anything You Want to Become.” The line isn’t about becoming everything ; the classic Jack of all trade and master of none. It is more about becoming the best at your natural talents and abilities, and putting your best effort forward to achieve your dreams in those particular fields. I will use Apples as an analogy. Did you know that there are 7500 known cultivars or types of apples? Did you know that of all those varieties, each has a distinct flavor, look and cultivating needs? By the same token, we are like those apples, we are unique, in need of special cultivation,  and we can grow to our fullest if watered properly.  So why would you want to be a Honey Crisp, if you were already born, in great glory, to be a Golden Delicious?

If we look around us, we see people struggling to be something else. We look at successful people or our celebrities and wonder what they have that we don’t have. Guess what? NOTHING! They have focused their attention on their talents/skills/gifts,  and maximized their potential by doing what they know they do best. Most focus their energy on one specific skill and master everything around it. Once we gain mastery in something, other related doors open up for us. Think about it…

As a blogger, I get to read tons of blogs daily. Each blog tries to have its own flavor and each blogger her/his own voice. We write about subjects that interest us or that we believe our readers want to read, but our very essence and where we will shine best as bloggers is when we bring our  natural talents to our work.  When we feel encouraged to write about what excites us and, what we know, that is where our success lies. Doing something differently just for SEO purposes would be short-lived and an insult to our gifts and those we serve.
More below

“It is not effort but God’s grace that is the basis of all victory.” Amma

Should I Do With My Life? Be Open to life/blessings like the Ocean

Motivation: What Should I Do With My Life? Be Open like the Ocean to life’s blessings

What Should I Do With My Life? Be Open like the Ocean to Life’s Blessings: When we focus our attention on fulfilling our destiny in the truest form, we must be open to grace and stay true to the blessings that come our way. I know that I said successful people focus on their talents, but there is more to that argument. When we open our hearts and minds to fully serve society  with our  natural abilities, the universe rallies to support us. But effort alone is not enough. We need divine intervention, luck, timing, a patient spirit and above all, grace.

God’s grace and people’s grace lead us to victory because our motivations are pure and  we are committed to do the work. When we are fully engaged in using our skills to do our best work, we are helping humanity. When we offer our talents to enrich our family, friends and society, we embrace our life’s purpose; to serve each other and help each other grow.   What should You do with your life? Why Are You here? I know you have the answer. Pause, be quiet and ask the question truthfully… then go do it. Be Blessed!

Have an inspired day!
How do you use your skills in the world? Are you living your purpose?  Do share! Thank you.

This post was partly inspired by a prompt from WP Daily Post: Daily Prompt: Let’s Dance  What are your earliest and fondest memories of  dance? Photographers, artists, poets: show us MOVEMENT.

Positive Motivation Tip: Reflect on what has shaped your interests all your life and focus on your special set of gifts. Go for it!

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos The holy spirit, Atlantic Oceanmixed apples,from  Wikipedia or my Personal Collection

About these ads
  1. 27/02/2014 1:20 pm

Well here I am overwhelmed by my desire to do everything!

2. 27/02/2014 1:33 pm

I thank God… that I know what I was put here to do…
    Why do I know???… because I find fulfillment and happiness in doing it!…

3. 27/02/2014 2:58 pm

I just take things one day at a time and go from there. I figure whatever is going to happen is going to happen :)

4. 27/02/2014 4:45 pm

Interesting article! Love all the pretty quotes!

5. 27/02/2014 6:06 pm

I didn’t know what my purpose was until I had my own transformation. Now, I help others have their own transformation. It’s my mission to help End the Trend of Obesity and to help people reach their goals and live healthy, fulfilling lives. I love my job as a health and fitness coach.

6. 27/02/2014 6:15 pm

I definitely had to rethink things after I was laid off last summer. My purpose is so much more than that job, and I was letting a job define me. (That is no more, and I’m so happy that things have worked out this way.)

7. Mandy @householdhero permalink
    27/02/2014 7:24 pm

I take one day at a time and enjoy the most important job I was given the opportunity to have: being a mother! Watching my kids grow and learn give me a sense of fulfillment

8. 27/02/2014 7:42 pm

Such a wonderful post, Eliz. Thanks for the inspiration. :-)

9. 27/02/2014 8:27 pm

finding your purpose can be such an ongoing thing

10. aleshafulltimemama permalink
    27/02/2014 9:47 pm

I’ve found that I’m completely happy with my life, but I’m a pretty simple person. Being a mom and a wife has always been my dream, and I’m blessed to be living it.

11. Shell Feis (@NotQuiteSusie) permalink
    28/02/2014 1:08 am

I love that quote from the Dalai Lama!

12. 28/02/2014 2:12 am

Reblogged this on frijasroxanne.

13. 28/02/2014 3:09 am

You always ask such great, thought-provoking questions. I do think it’s very important for each of us to use our gifts to help others. As a writer, I feel like I am always helping others with various projects, assignments, programs, etc. Most of the time for free!

14. 28/02/2014 5:44 am

Really thought provoking post, loved reading it and really got me thinking

15. 28/02/2014 6:23 am

You really got me thinking. I loved the whole article. Thank you!

16. 28/02/2014 6:59 am

I think my interests have evolved over time but basically have the same core. I don’t know if that even makes sense. lol

17. 28/02/2014 7:56 am

I think we over complicate it. It’s the things that come naturally to us that we discount, when in fact that’s exactly what we should be doing. Took me a long time to ‘get’ that!
    b

18. 28/02/2014 9:02 am

Love your posts, they always make me think. Everyone was put on this earth with a God given ability. I think we just have to figure out what those are.

19. Rachée Fagg (@sayitrahshay) permalink
    28/02/2014 9:48 am

I enjoy reading your blog, I always feel like I leave with new ideas. I have been thinking about “outcomes” in my life and decided that I was going to KISS things: Keep It Simple, Sister!

20. 28/02/2014 9:56 am

This is definitely a thought-provoking post. Love the quotes you included!

21. 28/02/2014 10:21 am

Love the quotes! I agree everyone was put here for a reason. We just have to figure it out.

22. 28/02/2014 10:50 am

Figuring out what to do with your life is an important step and one that some people don’t ever figure out. It took me almost 30 years to realize what I wanted to do with my life, now I’m striving to make it happen :)

23. 28/02/2014 11:21 am

The Hellen Keller quote is great. I think I am in a constant state of evolution and strive to be better…and happier!…everyday.

24. bigbearswife permalink
    28/02/2014 1:33 pm

Focus, Focus, Focus and try to stay motivated! That really is my goal 99% of the time!

25. TripleZmom permalink
    28/02/2014 1:55 pm

So important to take the time to be quiet and listen to yourself. What an inspiring post!

26. 28/02/2014 2:18 pm

I can’t remember the exact quote, but there is a fantastic one that goes something like – if you want to find yourself, loose yourself in the service of others. It’s hard to take the step to start to serve, but you always feel good once you do.

27. Ashley M permalink
    28/02/2014 2:25 pm

The Dalai Lama is such a wise being. This is some great food for thought.

28. Katherine Bartlett (@KBWhiskey) permalink
    28/02/2014 2:58 pm

I had to find my purpose in my twenties

29. 28/02/2014 3:33 pm

Thanks for the inspiration, as always. I’m about to go spend some time in nature right now!

30. 28/02/2014 3:58 pm

You have a great point in there about being open. When we have an open mind and consider everything that comes our way, the possibilities are endless!

31. JadeLouise permalink
    28/02/2014 3:59 pm

I love this one! Your quotes you gathered are quite powerful and pack a lot of wisdom! Finding happiness and peace in your life helps you know that you are on the right track to fulfilling your purpose. I think we find much more fulfillment in service others than focusing solely on self gratification.

32. 28/02/2014 4:40 pm

I always find that I am happiest when I am serving others. SOmetimes neighbors or friends but mostly my husband and kids!

33. 28/02/2014 4:41 pm

I always find I am happiest when serving others. Sometimes my friends or neighbors but mostly my kids and husband!

34. Pam Wattenbarger permalink
    28/02/2014 4:50 pm

Your posts are always so insightful! Thank you for sharing this.

35. Aisha Kristine Chong permalink
    28/02/2014 5:00 pm

This is a wonderful post – very inspirational too. :)

36. 28/02/2014 6:06 pm

Taking thing one day at a time is a we can do! Great post . Made me think!

37. prettyopinionated permalink
    28/02/2014 6:22 pm

It took me a long time to decide what I want to do with my life. I’ve always been a writer, it just took a while to get the confidence to make that my career. I’m glad I did!

38. 28/02/2014 6:53 pm

Sometimes I feel like I still haven’t figured it out yet. Other days I am fulfilled with what I already have. I think taking it one day works best for me though.

39. 28/02/2014 6:58 pm

I’m still trying to answer this question myself! I think I will always grow and change.

40. Jennifer Williams permalink
    28/02/2014 6:59 pm

So many people stress over what they are going to do with their lives. I think if everyone would just take a step back and look at what they are truly good at that comes naturally they would have a much easier time figuring it out.

41. 01/03/2014 10:36 am

Oh, man. Isn’t that the question of a lifetime? I think many people search for that answer their whole lives!

42. sgrcom permalink
    02/03/2014 12:07 pm

I remember growing up always wanting to be a teacher. My interests have changed slightly, but I think teaching my own two children is what I want to do!

43. 03/03/2014 11:39 am

I really put a lot of trust in God when it comes to my talents and blessings. Without him I would be nothing..not even alive! Too many people forget about this, and sadly push him away.

44. mommye permalink
    05/03/2014 1:21 am

I think I am following the right path. There are times though when I wonder if I should be doing something different.

45. 07/03/2014 9:45 am

Life is short and full of distraction. It’s easy to get detoured from what truly makes us happy. My Mom passed away unexpectedly 5 years ago and that event really triggered my Carpe Diem. Being happy, enjoying life, making it what you want it to be are all things I strive for each day. :)

1. Put The Big Floppy Hat Down And Dance | Lisa's Kansa Muse
  2. Daily Prompt: Movement | The Wandering Poet
  3. I’ve Danced and Once! | Views Splash!
  4. Daily Prompt: Let’s Dance | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
  5. Let’s Dance | Alexia Jones
  6. Blog Dance poem: Daily Prompt | alienorajt
  7. Daily Prompt: Let’s Dance | Nola Roots, Texas Heart

Your Comments are Always Appreciated. Thank You!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 30,762 other followers