Photo Challenge: Build A BRIDGE…

05/07/2017

“True teachers use themselves as bridges over which they invite their students to cross; then, having facilitated their crossing, joyfully collapse, encouraging them to create bridges of their own.” Nikos Kazantzakis

Photo Challenge: Build A BRIDGE...

Photo Challenge: Build A BRIDGE…

Local Attractions: TAPPAN ZEE BRIDGE

We build too many walls and not enough bridges. Isaac Newton
Bridges become frames for looking at the world around us. Bruce Jackson
In every conceivable manner, the family is link to our past, bridge to our future. Alex Haley
We can’t cross that bridge until we come to it, but I always like to lay down a pontoon ahead of time. Bernard Baruch

Okay let’s confess; I LOVE bridges and architecturally complex buildings. I love bridges because they serve a bigger role than their utilitarian function as a throughway. They are great connectors as they also serve as symbols of unity and connection. To cross a bridge is to step into another realm, area or community and we go because we want to make a connection. They also take a lot of risk, manpower and planning to construct. It is a rare bridge where lives were not lost during its construction so, they remind us of man’s enormous drive and effort to pull communities together so we can continue to mourn, celebrate and interact on many levels. My images are of the Tappan Zee Bridge, the George Washington Bridge, Brooklyn Bridge, Bear Mountain Bridge and a few others in the NY area. Come back for more.

“Poetry is not only dream and vision; it is the skeleton architecture of our lives. It lays the foundations for a future of change, a bridge across our fears of what has never been before.” Audre Lorde

Photo Challenge: Build A BRIDGE...

Photo Challenge: Build A BRIDGE…

Photo Challenge: Build A BRIDGE...

Photo Challenge: Build A BRIDGE…

Go to the truth beyond the mind. Love is the bridge. Stephen Levine
We have a long way to go before we are able to hear the voices of everyone on earth, but I believe that providing voices and building bridges is essential for the World Peace we all wish for. Joichi Ito
There are two kinds of comics; there are the ones who build bridges, and then there are the people who walk across the bridges as though they built them. The bridge builders are few and far between. Ron White

Whenever I find myself near a bridge or about to cross one, I feel a great urge to capture the moment in a photograph. Yes, I have a ton of bridge photos but they are filed away on an external drive so, until I have a chance to search them and share a few more photos, we will have to enjoy the shots above and below…

“I learned that a long walk and calm conversation are an incredible combination if you want to build a bridge.” Seth Godin

Photo Challenge: Build A BRIDGE... Tappan Zee Bridge

Photo Challenge: Build A BRIDGE… Tappan Zee Bridge

Photo Challenge: Build A BRIDGE...

Photo Challenge: Build A BRIDGE…

Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment. Jim Rohn
Knowledge of other people’s beliefs and ways of thinking must be used to build bridges, not to create conflicts. Kjell Magne Bondevik
He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself; for every man has need to be forgiven. Thomas Fuller

Whether we love, fear, or are indifferent to bridges, they are found everywhere and provide an invaluable service we can’t ignore.  Every bridge has a story behind it and was built on the backs, sweat and tears of artisans who believed in the architects vision. When we throw ourselves wholeheartedly into creating a vision we believe would make a huge difference in people’s lives, we are unstoppable. Some people fritter away their lives over petty rubbish, when they ought to be building magnificent bridges that reaffirm their lives and a greater purpose.

This post was inspired by a prompt from WP Daily Post: BRIDGE  For this challenge, interpret the theme “bridge.” You can go the same route as I did and capture any type or style of bridge where you are, or go deeper and take a snapshot of something or someone that acts as a bridge in your life: a link, a connection, a mediator. Have fun — we look forward to your takes!

Positive Motivation Tip: Build a bridge from your heart to the world…

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos from my personal collection.

1. parentingpatch permalink
    05/07/2017 5:50 pm

I find the designs of bridges so fascinating. Someday I am going to walk across the Brooklyn bridge with my kiddos.

2. joyroses13 permalink
    05/07/2017 6:01 pm

I love the song by the Judds, “Love can build a Bridge!”

3. mrsnzanatta permalink
    05/07/2017 6:43 pm

Bridges are amazing in their versatility of design. I love the variety of bridges you shared!

4. 05/07/2017 7:13 pm

If I had the chance I’d visit as many of the massive bridges as I can, Including the ones crossing from island to island 😀

5. Carol Cassara permalink
    05/07/2017 8:43 pm

Bridges are beautiful! They remind you so much that in a way we all need a connection. No matter who we are, there are penty of bridges in our lives that connects us to others.

6. 조이 Czjai (@RebelSweetHrt) permalink
    06/07/2017 2:22 am

Love the quotes that you incorporated into this post. My personal favorite is ‘build bridges, not walls’. 🙂

7. Kelly Reci permalink
    06/07/2017 2:34 am

like you, i am fascinated by different bridges.it’s amazing how they build bridges that cross the rivers.it really signifies unity and connections.

8. Robin Rue permalink
    06/07/2017 3:36 am

I have so many photos of bridges. There is something so majestic about them, isn’t there?

9. Blaine Chrian permalink
    06/07/2017 7:14 am

Those bridges are unique. There’s a bridge in the Philippines named ‘San Juanico Bridge’. It’s the longest bridge in the Philippines and it even withstand the strongest typhoon Haiyan last 2013.

10. Sarah Bailey permalink
    06/07/2017 10:20 am

I think there are times when we all need to build a bridge and make connections with those around us.

11. ljdove23 permalink
    06/07/2017 1:38 pm

My favourite bridge is London bridge, although I would LOVE to visit Sydney harbour bridge, I think it would be amazing! Bridges are so symbolic and this post is, as always, inspirational.

12. brahamjade permalink
    06/07/2017 3:54 pm

This is great! I did an art project on architecture and its beauty and I wish I had considered bridges because what you said about them serving as symbols of unity and connection would have been brilliant for my art! This is really well written and interesting! I always find bridges to been very impressive – how they are constructed, their design and their utility are just mind blowing!

13. raisingyourpetsnaturally permalink
    06/07/2017 4:57 pm

Bridges are very stunning. But, they do freak me out a bit. We will be traveling over the Mackinaw bridge in a week. It’s a creepy one!

14. Amber permalink
    06/07/2017 5:30 pm

I enjoy looking at bridges too. Some are so impressive! I especially love the London bridge.

15. themomnoms permalink
    06/07/2017 8:38 pm

I live close to the Golden Gate Bridge and I always think about how it connects two very different places making them one. I think I have a bridge inside of me that does the same thing, it connects my old self to my new self and tries to keep both of them together as one.

16. Adriana Martin permalink
    06/07/2017 9:21 pm

I love bridges they connect us to other places and the engineering behind them is just incredible. I truly love the Golden Gate.

17. Sondra Barker permalink
    06/07/2017 9:24 pm

These are some beautiful pictures. In life, we have to cross many bridges, and its not always easy.

18. Chelsea Elizabeth permalink
    07/07/2017 1:17 am

Beautiful bridges! I live in the north east of the UK and we have some beautiful bridges! Ones called the millennium and it lights up on an evening and swings open for ships to pass

19. Kristine Nicole Alessandra permalink
    07/07/2017 1:20 am

In my country, we have what we call the “Nautical Highway.” This connects the different islands together to enable the farmers to deliver/sell their goods in a quicker and more efficient way.

20. acraftymix permalink
    07/07/2017 3:17 am

I don’t know what I enjoy more Elizabeth, reading all the quotes or seeing your lovely photos. There is just something about a bridge that appeals to my sense of rightness and the engineering that goes into them always astounds me

21. StephJ permalink
    07/07/2017 4:12 am

very cool pictures! We dont have anything like that where I live 🙂

22. Kristen from The Road to Domestication permalink
    07/07/2017 7:54 am

I’m actually terrified of REAL bridges – if I can’t see the other side LOL Some kind of an irrational fear that the bridge will have fallen and I won’t see it until it’s too late. But in life, one of my favorite quotes is “Build a bridge and get over it”. A little bit of a different view from your post LOL

23. TheGracefulMist permalink
    07/07/2017 7:58 am

I remember a quote I encountered, “Build bridges instead of walls.” I believe this quote is not only applicable when it comes to our social life but also for our dreams and goals. We`ll never achieve our goals and make our visions into reality if we don`t take that one important step forward.

❀ Grace ❀

24. Sarah Bailey permalink
    07/07/2017 9:29 am

These are some wonderful photos, we have to cross and make bridges in so many parts of our lives, it is very apt.

25. Jessica Taylor permalink
    07/07/2017 9:32 am

I have always had a fascination with bridges. The structure just amazes me! Beautiful photos!

26. Travel Blogger permalink
    07/07/2017 9:42 am

I love this post! I think bridges say a lot about humanity. Our desire to connect and conquer is so evident in our architecture. Very fascinating.

27. Terri Ramsey Beavers permalink
    07/07/2017 11:01 am

Your bridge photographs are just beautiful. I used to be afraid to cross bridges, literally. Now I have different bridges to cross these days.

28. Corinne & Kirsty 🌸 (@corinnekirsty) permalink
    07/07/2017 11:39 am

Great choice of pictures. They are gorgeous! I have always found bridges fascinating. How they are made, how they hold, etc. But they are also a metaphor in some way. they are a link between two entities! xx corinne

29. Celestial B Purposed permalink
    07/07/2017 11:50 am

What bridges do for me is, give me queasy feeling while we are crossing. lol. They make a bit nervous, but after I cross it I feel like I have conquered a beast. Especially the Bay Bridge in San Fransisco. But, I do love looking at them, they are amazing in their own right considering they had to be built with such strength and endurance to handle all of our daily traffic. Bridges may nee to have their own holiday.

30. Lily Ashley permalink
    07/07/2017 12:30 pm

These photos of bridges are so cool. The designs and locations. Love to take my dog for a walk. Thanks for sharing.

31. margarette permalink
    07/07/2017 1:26 pm

The designs of the bridges so captivating. Love all the photos you shared.

• 07/07/2017 4:01 pm

Thank you! I have more but just didn’t have enough time to dig for them on my external drives. These photo challenge posts are time sensitive and you have to either take new photos or reach fro the ideal ones from what you have on hand. 🙂

32. Jessica@HappilyHughes permalink
    07/07/2017 4:51 pm

Your photos are all examples of magnificent and beautiful bridges. I really like the correlation of actual bridges and metaphorical bridges that we build. The two really are very similar in the amount of work, planning, and engineering that they require to build.

33. alisonrost permalink
    07/07/2017 5:00 pm

My favorite bridge is Florida’s seven-mile bridge. Every couple of years, my husband and I fly into Miami and take it down to The Keys. It’s fun to see all of the pretty birds and boats out on the water. x

34. sierraschomburg permalink
    07/07/2017 5:02 pm

I feel like bridges are something that photograph really well! They all have the same function but it is interesting what each architect comes up with as they can become so complex and artistic.

35. Sarah Crowther permalink
    07/07/2017 5:08 pm

Love the photo of the enclosed bridge, way cool! It’s neat to see all the different designs.

36. mrsrob987 permalink
    07/07/2017 5:26 pm

Each one of us goes through ups and downs.. Your powerful quotes are a great source of inspiration.. Thanks

37. Claudia Krusch permalink
    07/07/2017 6:14 pm

I have always loved the old style bridges. We have a wooden covered bridge here that is great for photo ops.

38. Candy Rachelle permalink
    08/07/2017 2:08 am

I love the intro quote. I’ve never thought about it, but yes, teachers actually are bridges helping students cross to an education which should lead to a better life.

39. natalielovesbeauty permalink
    08/07/2017 7:59 am

It’s pretty amazing how bridges connect two pieces of land but also people. I was in awe of New York’s bridges during my visits.

40. lmochoa488 permalink
    08/07/2017 8:35 am

Wow! The bridges are so breathtakingly beautiful. I would LOVE to visit some of the bridges in your post. Thanks for sharing such beautiful pics.

41. The Sprouting Minds permalink
    08/07/2017 8:56 am

Beautiful! I have never thought of the bridge as anything more than a means of transportation to go over something. I love these quotes and how you view bridges ❤️ I will know see them differently…may drive over to the Mississippi Bridge later today, just because!

42. nlampert permalink
    08/07/2017 11:50 am

I grew up around a lot of bridges but I never payed must attention to them or thought of photographing them. I’ll have to start paying more attention to the architecture.

43. Victoria H Woods (@VHWoodsVA) permalink
    08/07/2017 12:20 pm

Wow this is so inspiring. I love how you talk about how we can use our knowledge to create bridges for unity.

44. Liz Cleland permalink
    08/07/2017 8:51 pm

Once I find something like a bridge I tend to capture several. Right now I am into covered bridges because we are coming back from PA.

45. Blonde Seeking Ambition permalink
    08/07/2017 9:05 pm

I love bridges too. I grew up on Cape Cod, where you literally had to cross a bridge to get to/from the mainland… now when I go back to visit family, just seeing the bridge makes me feel an overwhelming sense of “home”.

46. A Busy Bees Life permalink
    08/07/2017 11:52 pm

These are great pictures and I love how bridges are used to symbolize both connections and unity. Very inspiring.

47. 09/07/2017 12:51 am

Hearing your voice was an unexpected treat, you don’t sound at all as I imagined. I’ve always loved the symbolism of bridges, but when I began therapy years ago, my counsellor asked if I would step on the bridge to meet her. Doing so was the beginning of my path to emotional well being.

• 09/07/2017 1:15 am

Wow! That is a fantastic vision in therapy. I like that. Hahaha! What did you think I’d sound like? Rushed? Harried? Loud and boisterous? Lady, I’ve done yoga for years now so, I’m quieter. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

• 09/07/2017 1:21 am

I thought you would have an American accent, but it’s difficult to discern more than a slight stress on the odd word. You actually sound quite like me!

• 09/07/2017 2:08 am

Oh Good! I’m glad I sound more like you as that makes perfect sense to me actually. ❤ Cool! I'm an immigrant here remember? 🙂

48. franckxethee permalink
    09/07/2017 8:50 am

I’m also amazed with bridges and it’s just nice seeing the architecture in it. It’s always scenic.

49. Whitney Abigail permalink
    09/07/2017 9:04 am

Bridges are such mighty structures! So many metaphors and symbols that they represent. Great photos also!

09/07/2017 1:59 pm

A bridge is really a very meaningful metaphor for unity. Any bridge is picturesque, I think.

51. Nina permalink
    09/07/2017 2:56 pm

I’m spending my summer living near Prague. They have several fantastic bridges that cross the Charles River. I definitely took a photo of one of them.

52. chewoutloud permalink
    09/07/2017 7:36 pm

A long walk and calm conversation sure does build meaningful bridges. Connection. Relationships. Reaching out. Taking in. These are all such important daily little things that are so easy to overlook but essential to our well being. Some of my favorite moments have been quiet conversations outdoors. This is beautiful motivation.

53. Lena permalink
    09/07/2017 9:24 pm

Such beautiful views – I love how gorgeous bridges look in the the different light. Love the angles you took!

54. Blair Villanueva permalink
    10/07/2017 4:22 am

There is something romantic with bridges – just look at the Brooklyn Bridge. Bridges connects cultures and people and that’s fantastic.

55. rochkirstin permalink
    10/07/2017 5:57 am

Have you seen the bridge that’s made out of glass in China? It opened in 2016 and it looks really scary. The concept is surreal and awesome though.

56. Joanna permalink
    10/07/2017 6:26 am

When I think of a bridge, I automatically think of the expression: “water under the bridge”, which I think reflects a great feeling, when you just let go of things that upset you and make peace again with the people that wronged you.

57. AlaynaFrankenberry permalink
    10/07/2017 8:51 am

I live in Pittsburgh, which is known for its bridges. During the last few years with the travel ban and immigration issues, a lot of people have starting hanging signs that say “build bridges, not walls.”

58. Mommy Engineering permalink
    10/07/2017 9:28 am

Those are such beautiful shots of bridges! I love these quotes about abstract bridges and it really made me think of how bridges are really just a thought to serve its purpose! Like the teacher and the architect!

59. Lisa Rios permalink
    10/07/2017 1:00 pm

I always think bridges are wonderful analogies for closing gaps. Finding connection and “bridging” similarities with others.

60. Ana De-Jesus permalink
    10/07/2017 5:36 pm

I think that bridges are so integral to the way that we not only travel but also create memories. For example crossing a bridge with a loved one, marking your bond or creating a metaphorical bridge in your mind.

61. Muna Kenny permalink
    10/07/2017 7:00 pm

I like looking at bridges but in real life, the moment I’m on one I get so scared I hold my breath, I guess this might be a reflection of how I feel when it’s time to cross over to something new! Lovely Clicks.

62. iamemgee permalink
    10/07/2017 10:00 pm

I like to visit San Francisco Bridge in tje future. But i also love the bridges in my life that helps me be better in what i do.

63. franckxethee permalink
    11/07/2017 12:41 am

These post reminds me that we should be building bridges instead of walls. Life is always easier that way.

64. Life of a TravelBug permalink
    11/07/2017 4:07 am

I love how you took something so simple and made it so beautiful! I don’t think I will be able to look at a bridge the same again!

65. maryosadolor permalink
    11/07/2017 5:47 am

Behind every bridge is a story, behind every great achievement is a trail of sweat and tribulations. I like your analogies and how you used these lovely pictures to pass across your powerful message.

66. ohmummymia permalink
    11/07/2017 1:36 pm

I love bridges! I like that one in London but now I’m really scared to go there for a walk

67. jennifer L permalink
    12/07/2017 10:24 pm

I love building bridges analogy. I firmly believe we have a purpose that is far greater than even we anticipate. Building a future for ourselves and future generations

68. Tiffany Yong permalink
    12/07/2017 11:17 pm

Bridges bring 2 separated people together, yet they also keep people apart when they are leaving. For me I prefer the latter more positive outlook.

69. Bhushavali permalink
    13/07/2017 3:20 am

I too love bridges. I once timed my visit to the Tower of London perfectly and found a particular room there with a window angled towards the Tower Bridge when it was opening and closing! Its such a delight to watch!!!

70. Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen permalink
    13/07/2017 1:54 pm

I think bridges are fascinating. It connects two places that is separated by water and allows us to pass on it to get to the other side. I admire its strength.

71. Denice Joyce Diaz-Faeldonia permalink
    17/07/2017 1:48 am

Bridges are a sight to behold. So I totally understand why you love taking photos of bridges. Here in the Philippines, bridges are a necessity to close the gap between islands or even provide a means to reach your work place. My personal dream is to see the brooklyn bridge with my husband and daughter.

72. Ankita permalink
    17/07/2017 3:04 am

Bridges are something that connects two cities…I love the surroundings near the bridge..:)

73. Melissa Bernardo permalink
    19/07/2017 8:22 am

I, myself, is fascinated by photos of bridges. Love these photos!

74. jay permalink
    26/07/2017 11:15 am

i love bridges too !! My favorite is the Brooklyn Bridge !! I walk it several times of year but am alwasy in awe of it ❤

75. Aditi permalink
    18/08/2017 2:44 am

I think bridges are so important physically and they are aesthetically so pleasing. They always make beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures! 🙂

1. WPC: Bridges | Lillie-Put
  2. Bridge View | What's (in) the picture?