Reflections: Notorious Neighbors?

19/05/2017

“I want you to be concerned about your next door neighbor. Do you know your next door neighbor?” Mother Teresa

Reflections: Notorious Neighbors?

Reflections: Notorious Neighbors?

So we have these critters in the front yard. A family of them appeared overnight and while they are cute, they are attracting some unwarranted attention and have dug a huge hole as their home. Does that make them notorious neighbors? It was Eric Hoffer who said, “It is easier to love humanity as a whole than to love one’s neighbor.” I wonder… Your thoughts?

This post was inspired by a Daily Post prompt – Notorious– This week, Write a new post in response to today’s one-word prompt. Not sure how to participate? Here are the steps to get started.

Positive Motivation Tip: Who are your neighbors? Engage them…

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos: From  my Personal Collection

1. Kathleen Jennette permalink
    19/05/2017 5:24 pm

We have those all over. You are right, they are notorious!

2. Kristina permalink
    19/05/2017 6:12 pm

They are so cute! But I can see them causing some mischief. We have a lot of rabbits. Makes me scared to garden veggies and fruits.

3. Mrs_ AOK (@Mrs_AOK) permalink
    19/05/2017 6:35 pm

Oy! But those little guys are cute. I think we should all try to be more neighborly, that doesn’t mean we have to be best of friends but cordial. It’s funny how different areas of one country can have different feelings when it comes to this. I’ve moved around quite a bit in my adult life and I’ve seen neighborly states and not as neighborly states.
    Respect, kindness, empathy, these are things we can use and achieve to be better neighbors.
    As for your new neighbors, I’m sure there is a way to kindly show them the door? I’m just not sure if I’d want these cuties in my yard with my dog or my kids. Wishing you the best with that situation.
    And I’ve had an alligator as a neighbor before! That was scary.
    -Dean

4. Kait permalink
    19/05/2017 7:30 pm

I love the quote from Eric Hoffer. I think there is definitely truth in that. It is easier to feel sympathetic and concerned about faceless people rather than those you know and have already developed opinions about. However, I think that is the lesson meant to be learned. We have to learn to care about people even when there are things about them we don’t like.

5. toastycritic permalink
    19/05/2017 10:46 pm

I agree that it is much easier to think about humanity in the whole without having to think about individual people. It’s when we get down to the individual level that we can always find something wrong with a person. And we deal with personal feelings.

6. Elizabeth permalink
    19/05/2017 10:48 pm

How cute are they?! I’ve no idea how to get them to move elsewhere though… perhaps you can share the living space? 🙂

7. Chei Pangan permalink
    20/05/2017 12:27 am

Haha! They are so cute! Can i have this neighbors too? lol!

8. Cassie @ Be Forever Healthier permalink
    20/05/2017 1:23 am

Oh my gosh they are so so cute!!! But yes, digging holes would definitely make them notorious neighbours haha

9. Tereza permalink
    20/05/2017 4:48 am

Eric Hoffer was probably right but just look at them they are so cute haha! They must be a right nightmare digging up those holes but the cute ears totally make up for it:) x

10. Roxanne permalink
    20/05/2017 5:04 am

Wow that is incredibly frustrating! I’d be so worried about them all the time and whether I’d run into them while outside. I’ll stick to running into my human neighbors. 😉

11. Corinne & Kirsty 🌸 (@corinnekirsty) permalink
    20/05/2017 5:09 am

Ooooh, this is so cute! I don’t live in the countryside so i don’t get to have cute animals showing up at my door. They are so cute! xx corinne

12. Mabel Kwong permalink
    20/05/2017 5:36 am

The critters do look cute and they don’t look like they mean any harm. Maybe they really are just after a nice and cozy place to stay, and they see your front yard as a welcoming space. I hope they don’t cause too much nuisance. Maye you can be friends with them 🙂

• 20/05/2017 11:17 am

Thank you Mable. My post is tongue in cheek. They are welcome to their home. They probably moved in years before we ever did and that might be a home they have turned over for 100 years… 🙂

Liked by 1 person

13. Daniela Miovska permalink
    20/05/2017 6:15 am

I have never had critters as neighbours, I haven`t seen one yet, I am !
    animal and nature friendly though. Try to observe them and find out what kind of neighbours are they

• 20/05/2017 11:16 am

They have lived in our yard for many years but this year, we cleared the area of tree branches and debris so, their hole is exposed and much bigger than I remember it. They are groundhogs and might have just delivered some babies. I look forward to seeing the babies crawl out. 🙂

14. 20/05/2017 6:46 am

Oh my word. You are going to have so much fun watching them. What is a big hole between friends?

15. thecoffeemom0617 permalink
    20/05/2017 7:29 am

those little critters can be a pain. we had them before and the holes in the yard were so annoying lol. I would take them over terrible human neighbors any day though

16. Nique Wallace (@sh_nique) permalink
    20/05/2017 8:10 am

theyre really cute lol are those bevers ?

17. Kim permalink
    20/05/2017 8:16 am

I can see how they would attract unwanted attention. At one point, I was very ill and that attracted a family of possums to our backyard because they wanted to eat. I can see what you mean!

18. duffelbagspouse permalink
    20/05/2017 9:11 am

So apropos, just met my new neighbors today. They seem nice and I look forward to spending time with them in the future. I think its important to have a relationship with your neighbors for safety and practical reasons.

19. Angela Tolsma permalink
    20/05/2017 10:09 am

Oh what is it?? A prairie dog? I live in an apartment so I’ve never dealt with a yard but the neighbors below have a puppy that barks all day long and when your working from home, it’s really frustrating!

• 20/05/2017 11:09 am

They are groundhogs. I hear you. We had a dog trainer who lived in a home a block away and we could hear her dogs barking all day long. The neighbors called the cops and she eventually had to move…

Kindly leave a meaningful comment. "Thanks for sharing" is NOT meaningful. Thank You!