Food Files: Sweet & Savory Spring Salad

07/04/2017

“Local food is about getting the freshest and best tasting food. It’s also about connecting to and strengthening your community” Anna Lappé

Food Files:  Sweet & Savory Spring Salad with a kick!

Food Files: Sweet & Savory Spring Salad with a kick!

Whenever I visit my local food markets, I am always eager to buy the latest fresh fruits and vegetables and try out some quick and easy dishes for my household. I love the variety that we see in the spring and the summer, and I enjoy creating colorful salads with a twist. The Sweet and Savory salad shared in this post was made from fruits and vegetables I bought today. Instead of the usual run of the mill ho-hum salad items, I decided to add a few more delicious fruits/veggies like the Korean Pear, Heart of Palm, Marinated Artichokes and Red Bartlett pear. Another great thing about the above salad is that it is made of fresh,  raw and grilled ingredients so there isn’t much cooking involved in creating this colorful, healthy and delectable dish. Do come back for the recipe and the ingredients that gave the salad a savory kick.

More Below!“Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.” Harriet Van Horne

Food Files:  Sweet & Savory Spring Salad with a kick!

Food Files: Sweet & Savory Spring Salad with a kick!

I love fruits and vegetables and especially that we can eat most of them raw. In the spring and summer, I make extra effort to visit my community markets and buy local produce grown in my area. It is not only a way to support local farmers but also a way to try new heirloom foods and enjoy the fresh taste that comes from eating foods that are local and combining them with foods/ingredients that  have traveled thousands of miles to reach our table. All good food is worth waiting for. What are you serving your friends and family this spring?

Have a Happy, Healthy 2017!

Positive Motivation Tip: Spring is here… go for the variety at your local markets

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos from my Personal Collection except cauliflower  via Pixabay

1. Amila Wickramarachchi permalink
    07/04/2017 8:21 pm

I always love healthy salads which include different colourful vegetables and fruits.This is so good.I’d love to try!

2. Heather permalink
    07/04/2017 9:40 pm

I love adding a combination of fruits and vegetables to salads. I’ve recently do apple slices and dried cranberries in a nice cranberry vinaigrette sauce. It was delicious! I think I need to experiment some more…and some blood oranges or something.

3. Houseful Of Nicholes permalink
    07/04/2017 9:57 pm

That salad looks beautiful, and I’m pretty biased towards beautiful salads. I’m so happy to know that there are so many other people who realize that salads don’t always have to be “rabbit food”

4. tara pittman permalink
    07/04/2017 10:05 pm

I get excited in the produce section of my store. I tend to buy too many veggies as they all look so good.

5. Sondra Barker permalink
    08/04/2017 12:01 am

This are some tasty looking photos! It makes me want to cute up fruit right now!

6. toastycritic permalink
    08/04/2017 12:22 am

I love all the fresh cut veggies that you have in that dish. It really makes me want to take out my mandolin and make a salad. 🙂

7. espleya permalink
    08/04/2017 12:47 am

I love the idea of mixing fruit and vegetables together is a salad. Must give this a try now that the warmer weather is here..

8. duffelbagspouse permalink
    08/04/2017 1:16 am

Looks delicious, I love your food posts, this is beautiful and I love the combination of fruit and veggies. I adore Korean pears.

9. 조이 Czjai (@RebelSweetHrt) permalink
    08/04/2017 3:32 am

Your salad looks very appetizing! I’m cutting down on carbs and your salad is perfect for my diet. 🙂

10. Donna Ashworth permalink
    08/04/2017 6:18 am

I love this!!! Delicious food and this quote is fab Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. love love love!

11. Kait permalink
    08/04/2017 6:36 am

I love to go to the farmer’s market and buy local grown produce. It is always so much better than what I get at the grocery store. This summer I think we will try to grown some of our own produce.

12. Beverly Walthour permalink
    08/04/2017 7:02 am

Am I the only one who thinks this is too pretty to eat? Lol. This looks DELICIOUS! I love fresh fruits & vegetables.

13. Monika permalink
    08/04/2017 7:20 am

I haven’t even heard of a lot of these ingredients, so to me it sounds like quite an adventure to make this salad. 🙂 I love discovering new food I’ve never tried before.

There is also a farmers’ market right across the street and somehow I’ve never been there yet. I think I want to go there at least once before we move out. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

14. Amber permalink
    08/04/2017 8:39 am

These salads look fantastic! I’m always down for a fresh salad.

15. sara permalink
    08/04/2017 9:23 am

This food looks fresh and healthy, perfect for spring time. Thanks for sharing these lovely photos.

16. Sarah-Louise Bailey permalink
    08/04/2017 11:00 am

Great Article! We prefer to eat more salads ( raw vegetables) with different kinds of dressings – Blue Cheese , Vinegratte, mustard dressings. so I use different dressings everyday.

17. 08/04/2017 11:36 am

This looks delicious – my family is like yours in that we tend to crave fresh, mostly raw things in the summertime. It’s just easier that way – grab something fresh, colorful and crunchy, enjoy it, and that’s all! No hot kitchen, and not nearly as much mess to clean up.

18. Azlin Bloor permalink
    08/04/2017 12:08 pm

That’s a fantastic combination on that plate! I do love sweet and savoury salads too, and just love summer’s bounty!

19. adriana permalink
    08/04/2017 12:13 pm

Wow this salad looks delicious! I LOVE spring salads – there’s just something so much more delicious about a salad in the spring haha!

20. Jacqui Odell permalink
    08/04/2017 2:04 pm

My family and I are looking for healthier meals. I will have to add this one to my salad list.

21. gaborvantolna permalink
    08/04/2017 3:06 pm

We are planing to go on a spiritual ceremony in the nature soon. We are not allowed to eat any meat before, so Im collecting things to prepare before. This looks very good!!!

22. Chloe permalink
    08/04/2017 4:53 pm

I loveee raw vegetables as well! Especially carrots/celery etc. The crunch is the best bit!

23. Chloe Ranford permalink
    08/04/2017 5:06 pm

This makes me hungry just looking at it! And I’m SO happy to find that I have most of these ingredients in the house… might test out this salad on the family next week!

24. Becki Svare permalink
    08/04/2017 5:27 pm

That looks really delicious! All those fresh fruits and veggies look beautiful! And, I really love your red bowl 🙂

25. Jennifer Gainer permalink
    08/04/2017 5:29 pm

Thanks for sharing the lovely food ideas your pictures are beautiful I would really love to get a hold of some of those recipes

26. sparkofsouthernmoms permalink
    08/04/2017 6:08 pm

This time of the year is my favorite! We grow a garden and have all sorts of veggies! When you harvest, you can’t help but pop something in your mouth as you go!

27. Cameron Dufore permalink
    08/04/2017 7:38 pm

I love eating raw fruits and veggies, so I’m also very excited that the season is right from some perfect spring/summer berries! Interesting salad as well – love the sweet/savory mix!

28. themomnoms permalink
    08/04/2017 10:11 pm

I have been looking for a new salad to try out. I have been bored with everything that I have. I am going to have to try this one out!

29. Bhushavali permalink
    09/04/2017 12:26 am

The salad looks healthy and yum… I usually turn to salads for those midnight snacking!!!

30. Nati permalink
    09/04/2017 1:49 am

That’s so true! I also prefer shopping local markets for food. Unfortunately, I am terribly allergic to most varieties of seasonal fruits here in Switzerland, that is why I cannot eat them raw. That’s such a bummer! I am not allergic to tropical fruit though, but then there is not LOCAL tropical fruit in Switzerland. I refuse to buy imported fruit, but my physician told me I really need to eat some raw fruits and veggies (they list of what I can swallow without choking is really short).

31. Otakore permalink
    09/04/2017 4:22 am

Your Salad recipe has a great combination. Never tried adding fruits with my salad. The strawberry adds a bit sweet and citrus taste with Apple Cider. It’s perfect!

32. Anastasia Blogger permalink
    09/04/2017 4:32 am

The salad looks yummy and I love colorful food! I’m sorry for asking, I’m bit confused, will there be the full recipe of this salad? As for my family, I’m the only vegetable and salad fan, unfortunately, so for me I always have a bit of salad for every meal except breakfast.

33. MUD By Shaun permalink
    09/04/2017 10:35 am

Healthy gatherings with people are wonderful. Feeding your loved ones with the best fresh produce is even more wonderful. Keep sharing the love thru grub.

34. natalielovesbeauty permalink
    09/04/2017 11:44 am

I too enjoy going to the farmer’s market to buy fresh produce. In the summer, we grow our own lettuce and there is nothing better than freshly picked, organic salad.

35. Wanderlust Vegans permalink
    09/04/2017 2:11 pm

We like going to local markets as well as they are a lot of fun. We like seeing all of the produce available at the markets and we find that a lot of the time they are much cheaper than buying food from the grocery store. They salad you made looks delicious. I like how you did some thinking outside of the box and used some ingredients that aren’t in the standard salad.

36. Obi Kalu permalink
    09/04/2017 3:39 pm

Love these colors and such variety. Easy to make too it seems!

37. oksummer permalink
    09/04/2017 3:39 pm

Love these colors and such variety. Easy to make too it seems!

38. Eileen permalink
    09/04/2017 5:26 pm

I just made taco salad last night and my family loved the freshly chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce and caramelized onions. This is why I enjoy spring! So much fresh produce I can make into salads!

39. Beso Beauty permalink
    09/04/2017 6:04 pm

I agree that it’s great we can eat most fruits and veggies raw. I love having raw foods. Partially because I’m too lazy to cook, and because sometimes they are more healthy for you in that form! 🙂

40. Glenda K. permalink
    09/04/2017 6:49 pm

I also love buying fresh fruit and veggies. The Sweet and Savory dish is a salad I would definitely like to try out.

41. Zee M. permalink
    09/04/2017 9:25 pm

That salad is beautiful, and does entice my taste buds! I’ll be hinest though, I rarely make an effort to eat in season. I must take from your example.

42. Marceline Dementori permalink
    09/04/2017 9:56 pm

No doubt that spring is a time for fresh produce to enjoy. This spring salad looks delightful. I love having salad for lunch during the warmer days of the year! They’re always so refreshing.

43. Victoria Lola permalink
    09/04/2017 10:34 pm

‘All good food is worth waiting for’… I love that. Good and healthy food is the best! I prefer local food too ;).
    I love your blog xx

44. Krysti Jaims permalink
    10/04/2017 12:17 am

I love how fresh and colorful this salad is! I really need to start adding more color into mine and I love the idea of sweet and savory combined.

45. Only By Land permalink
    10/04/2017 12:26 am

I agree, locally produced food is so much better, less chemicals too. Those tomatoes you photographed look absolutely delicious and I’d love them as part of my salad!

46. AwesomeAliceCom permalink
    10/04/2017 12:59 am

I try to buy local as much as I can. I love to support the small business owners in my community

47. Hannah Marie permalink
    10/04/2017 1:48 am

It is really good to buy from the locals. Fresh vegetables and fruits are really delicious and good for salads. It looks so yummy!

48. Robin Rue permalink
    10/04/2017 3:38 am

That salad sounds so good. It’s a perfect spring lunch idea.

49. 3xhcch permalink
    10/04/2017 6:27 am

My favorite salad is fruit salad because of the combination of sweet and sour. As for savory salads, that touch of sweet and sour is really never fails to make me happy eating it as well. – Fred

50. Sara permalink
    10/04/2017 6:52 am

This recipe seems so tasty! And it’s perfect for spring and summer days 😃

51. Emma White (@TheRealSupermum) permalink
    10/04/2017 7:22 am

oh I love the idea of mixing sweet and savoury together a great taste for the palette and as I have a sweet tooth this is certainly for me

52. katrinagehman permalink
    10/04/2017 8:07 am

that looks amazing! i’m saving this to find later and try.

53. Richard_eCoursesXYZ (@Richard_eCourse) permalink
    10/04/2017 8:11 am

Just went to our local farmer’s market this weekend to load up on fresh veggies. I’d rather purchase them here than at a grocery store because I know it is supporting the local community and not a huge conglomerate.

54. MaryAnne permalink
    10/04/2017 8:49 am

My husband is a salad lover! I will definetely need to try some thnks for sharing

55. Michelle Waller permalink
    10/04/2017 9:04 am

I love a good salad! This one looks delicious and I am going to have to try it out for lunch one day.

56. Ana De-Jesus permalink
    10/04/2017 9:18 am

Isn’t it amazing what you can find at your local food markets, I always love getting fresh fruit and veg as well. Your salad looks so fresh and colourful xx

57. Franc Ramon permalink
    10/04/2017 9:45 am

This salad looks really healthy and delicious. This can really make a great dish.

58. colleen patricia wool permalink
    10/04/2017 11:28 am

The salad looks so delicious. I really want to try it.

59. Jessica Taylor permalink
    10/04/2017 2:07 pm

So colorful and yummy! I need to try this little spring salad!

60. 10/04/2017 3:09 pm

I love fruits and vegetables and salads!! Those salads look so appetizing and healthy.

61. Mihaela Echols permalink
    10/04/2017 4:09 pm

looks so amazing!!! I love salads. My favorite is greek salad.

62. nlampert permalink
    10/04/2017 4:23 pm

One of my favourite things about summer is all the fresh food and vegetables. I love going to the local farmer’s market for heirloom foods as well.

63. Tiffany permalink
    10/04/2017 8:22 pm

This looks so yummy!! I absolutely love your blog. Will be on it more often:)

64. Leigh Anne Miller Borders permalink
    10/04/2017 8:29 pm

I do believe there are foods worth waiting for. One that I wait for comes twice a year and it si an Italian dish my husband makes. I love this salad as well. Spring veggies are perfect and well worth waiting for.

65. Coralie permalink
    10/04/2017 10:27 pm

This looks really good! I will have to make it with dinner tomorrow.

66. beautyaddictmama permalink
    10/04/2017 11:44 pm

I was just at my local Farmer’s market stocking up. I love buying it fresh but only ever seem to really do this in Spring/Summer. Your pictures look beautiful – so brightly coloured.

67. Krista Bel permalink
    10/04/2017 11:46 pm

I’m not much of a salad fan. I mostly eat coleslaw but this looks delicious

68. Karlyn Cruz permalink
    11/04/2017 12:38 am

Wow! This is really looks yummy. It is surely healthy to our health. I like this kind of food.

69. Leo T. Ly permalink
    11/04/2017 5:11 am

The salad looks great. I love to experiment with food when I cook. From time to time, I would a a little fruit to my salad but I have not ventured out of the berries family. Maybe I will try to add more of my home grown apples late this summer. Thanks for the creative salad idea.

70. 1stclassrvadventures permalink
    11/04/2017 6:15 am

Yummy!!! Fruits and veggies are my fav and I love the fact that yes they can usually be eaten raw great to go snacks!

71. Jacky @ Joyful Savings permalink
    11/04/2017 6:23 am

There is nothing I love more than a fresh and colorful salad! I love the different textures and flavors you put together with fruits!

72. Lindsey permalink
    11/04/2017 6:38 am

I love a good salas, and this is super colour and looks extremly tasty. A perfect dish for the Spring months when not wanting to do too much cooking.

73. Rosey permalink
    11/04/2017 8:19 am

There are so many wonderful ways to make salad. I love that you’ve added savory to the recipe.

74. Nadine Cathleen permalink
    11/04/2017 9:25 am

Oh this looks great! And so healthy – perfect fresh salad for spring 🙂

75. JustOneMommysOpinion (@1MommysOpinion) permalink
    11/04/2017 10:00 am

Looks delicious! I was just thinking about going to the Farmer’s Market some time soon so I can get fresh and organic ingredients. Maybe I’ll make this yummy salad too!

76. Dusica permalink
    11/04/2017 12:27 pm

Vegetable salads are always healthy, easy for preparing and with zero calories 🙂

77. Cynthia Nicoletti permalink
    11/04/2017 1:33 pm

Looks delicious. I love healthy salads. You have included avocado which is my favorite !

78. Violinkit permalink
    11/04/2017 2:58 pm

We have a great local fresh fruit and veg man around the corner where I get my fresh produce on a daily basis. I am a huge fan of fruit and veg and the more you can eat raw the better they are for you.

79. Megan permalink
    11/04/2017 8:29 pm

I love salads with bright vibrant colors. In my family, I’m the one everyone always asks to either bring or make the salad!

80. eazynazy permalink
    11/04/2017 9:33 pm

i love salads and those look so yummy and colorful

81. Claire Santiago permalink
    11/04/2017 11:48 pm

this made me crave for fresh salads. i also love using apple cider vinegar to salads are dressing.

82. Joanna permalink
    12/04/2017 4:24 am

I also love shopping in the local market where the local producers came and sell their own grown fruits and vegetables. Also, when I was through villages, I always stop and buy some eggs from the people that sell them outside their houses. They are the best as the chickens have only eaten natural food.

83. AlaynaFrankenberry permalink
    12/04/2017 8:06 am

Apple Cider vinegar is SO MUCH better than white. Discovering it was a real game changer for me. The brand you’ve used also makes a “Liquid Aminos” which is a great alternative to soy sauce.

84. GD Blog permalink
    12/04/2017 9:58 am

Eating raw vegetables is so lovely, feels like heaven. I so love going to our local markets with my husband to get fresh veggies.

85. Hey Sharonoox permalink
    12/04/2017 1:56 pm

Yum! This salad is all I need for spring. So much goodness in this bowl.

86. aurora permalink
    12/04/2017 7:23 pm

I also love the freshest fruits in our local supermarket! I feel like I’m helping local businesses out, not to mention that they taste great!

87. I Love Paars by: Lee permalink
    13/04/2017 7:19 pm

I have never tried apple cider vinegar.
    I rarely eat veggie salad though. Sucks!

88. Jessica Hughes permalink
    14/04/2017 3:11 pm

Community and farmers markets are my favorite places to visit in the spring and summer season! This salad is just beautiful, it is so colorful and I can just imagine how wonderful the contrasts in flavors taste. This is the type of meal I really love to have in the warmer months.

89. shubhadabhide permalink
    14/04/2017 5:35 pm

Such a refreshing recipe! I love salads. In your recipe I can see varying combos of delish fruits and veggies coming together. Happy Summer!

90. Blair Villanueva permalink
    16/04/2017 8:51 pm

Wow these are beautiful and very fresh and healthy. Fruits and more vegetables are my best favorites.

91. Louisa Mercado (@2livelovelaugh5) permalink
    17/04/2017 2:15 am

A fruit and vegetable salad sounds interesting though there are some that get intertwined. Like fruits that turn out to be a veggie and vice versa.

92. Chelsea Pearl permalink
    17/04/2017 4:30 pm

I think you put all my favorite things into one salad, seriously it looks so yummy and healthy!

93. Tiffany Yong permalink
    21/04/2017 4:30 am

Sometimes, I really envy you staying in a place where you get fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables. The salad looks so appetizing and I’m definitely a veg person!

94. Dustin permalink
    21/04/2017 1:55 pm

I love apples in salads! Nice touch

Kindly leave a meaningful comment. "Thanks for sharing" is NOT meaningful. Thank You!