Weekly Photo Challenge: MIRROR

02/09/2016

“Life is a mirror and will reflect back to the thinker what he thinks into it.” Ernest Holmes

Weekly Photo Challenge: MIRROR

Weekly Photo Challenge: MIRROR

For this exercise on MIRROR , I searched for photos that I’ve taken that offer a mirror like reflection. I hope you enjoy the selection. All of them are either mirror like reflections off water or actual shots taken with a mirror like frame. If you’ve ever been to Chicago, you’d know about the beautiful, elliptical shaped art installation Cloud Gate (also called The Bean) which is a popular must see sculpture by Anish Kapoor at Millennium Park. It is made of stainless steel and was chosen by a team of art collectors, curators and architects as the winning design for the Park in 1999. Because it does have a mirror-like surface and is a popular attraction for folks from around the world, I knew it would be perfect for this photo assignment.. I love how the skyscrapers behind it are reflected in the mirror like facade…

“If you find the mirror of the heart dull, the rust has not been cleared from its face.” Rumi

Weekly Photo Challenge: MIRROR

Weekly Photo Challenge: MIRROR

Above the Cloud Gate shot, I added a photo I took in a public bathroom with a row of white sinks lined again a wall of mirrors. I love that you can see the paper dispensers and white tiled walls in the background. One of my favorite shots is the Hudson River boat docking station that reflects both the dock and the surrounding trees in an exact mirror reflection… so cool. The plant shot was taken as I caught its reflection in an actual mirror, and the last shot above (top row) is the majestic stillness of the Normandy Cemetery in France and how two trees are mirrored in the still pool; serene and poignant.

“Beauty is truth’s smile when she beholds her own face in a perfect mirror.” Rabindranath Tagore

Weekly Photo Challenge: MIRROR

Weekly Photo Challenge: MIRROR

It was Earl Nightingale who said that  Our environment, the world in which we live and work, is a mirror of our attitudes and expectations. I agree.  We focus on what holds our attention or what we allow to hold us hostage. Take a mirror and smile in it daily as it is known to be a great mood change maker. Come back later for my explanation of the bottom four shots. Have a restful Labor Day weekend!

This post was inspired by a prompt from WP Daily Post: MIRROR  For this week’s challenge, show us a mirror. You can take this photo challenge literally, and find reflections in mirrors, or in the stillness of a natural body of water. Live in an urban area? Some skyscrapers are beautifully reflective of the cityscape around them. Or, use this challenge to take a photo of yourself in the mirror. Self-documentation is important, especially for those of us who are usually behind the lens. Enjoy!

Positive Motivation Tip: We mirror what we dwell on and what we believe. Be vigilant.

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos from my personal collection.

1. 03/09/2016 12:10 am

The installation is amazing but best of all is the bathroom selfie x:-)x

2. Annie permalink
    03/09/2016 1:15 am

Those photos are amazing! I wish half of my photos would be half that good…

3. Ronnie Epsi permalink
    03/09/2016 1:42 pm

Interesting collection of reflections. Is the large curved one in a shape of a bean? It’s quite the visual distortion.

• 03/09/2016 4:49 pm

Yes, it’s shaped like a bean. If you click the link I added, it will take you to the image on Wikipedia which shows what it looks like from a greater distance. It’s a pretty cool sculpture.

4. Rose Pingol permalink
    03/09/2016 3:26 pm

I want to see The Bean in person, I saw so many pictures of it over the internet. By the way, I love your photos!

5. Karlyn Flores permalink
    03/09/2016 3:30 pm

mirror was a great reflection, love to go there

6. Nikki Wayne permalink
    03/09/2016 4:15 pm

I always wanted to have a selfie in a mirror but we have a superstition belief here about taking a picture in the mirror. BTW, love the pictures especially the one in the public restroom.

7. Nicole Herose Cochingco - Escat permalink
    03/09/2016 4:50 pm

Yeah, I totally agreed! A smile in the mirror will change your mood. As much as possible, I look at myself in the mirror and say that everything will be okay then my day will turn okay!

8. Gigi M. permalink
    03/09/2016 7:28 pm

I love the reflections on the water. You know, my family and I went to a mirror maze at the Mall of America. It was quite deceiving and I ended up bumping into the mirror a couple of times. And I got lost at the end. I had a lot of fun. =) If you’re ever in the area, you might want to check it out and take some more interesting photos there.

9. Abie Dizon permalink
    03/09/2016 8:55 pm

Great photos as always! Life tends to respond to our outlook of things. I was a pessimist but changed my views and living a happier life now.

10. Chelley @ A is For Adelaide permalink
    03/09/2016 9:15 pm

I love all the imagery for your post. They are so perfect. And The Bean has been my goal forever. I have never been to the Windy City, but I want to go JUST for that reflection!

11. Rose permalink
    04/09/2016 6:07 am

I can see why the river shot makes you happy. I get excited when I see the Bean. I don’t know why I like it so much, but I surely do!

12. Laura permalink
    04/09/2016 6:58 am

I’ve been doing a photo challenge this week too. Good to see some different ideas.

13. 04/09/2016 8:15 am

Love the Rumi quote that accompanies your mirror gallery.

14. Claudia Krusch permalink
    04/09/2016 9:07 am

Love your photo challenges! They always have amazing shots! You’re so gifted!

15. Tiffany Yong permalink
    04/09/2016 10:22 am

I like your quote from Earl Nightingale, it is really meaningful. Is there a reason why you keep repeating the large warped mirror image? It’s 6 times, and it looked like an error.

16. Tiffany VanSickle permalink
    04/09/2016 1:19 pm

So true that we mirror what we dwell on! It’s so important to have a positive attitude!

17. Michele permalink
    04/09/2016 2:13 pm

Interesting photos–I think the ones I like best are those reflected off water.

18. Ana De Jesus permalink
    04/09/2016 3:04 pm

I always found mirrors interesting and was just thinking about how they can distort our reality before I clicked on your post. Its amazing how we can interpret ourselves or others in mirrors.

19. Chei permalink
    04/09/2016 4:08 pm

Wow this is interesting!

20. Megan Ogden permalink
    04/09/2016 6:11 pm

I’ve never heard of a picture challenge before, that’s awesome. Do you have a Facebook Fan Page?

21. 04/09/2016 6:28 pm

Love the quote you shared above! It is so true – your thoughts are powerful! What you think of, becomes a part of your reality!

Abby

22. Terri Ramsey Beavers permalink
    04/09/2016 7:17 pm

Life really is a mirror and you’ve picked the perfect photos for your challenge. I focus too much on the things that don’t matter and I need to turn that around.

23. Anita Mckaney permalink
    04/09/2016 7:40 pm

Amazing! How did you get that photosphere shot?

24. 04/09/2016 10:04 pm

I love Millennium Park in Chicago! It’s so much fun and you always have to take a photo with the big beam!

Nina

25. Tania Potter - Soul Sense Coaching permalink
    05/09/2016 12:50 am

What beautiful photos to capture such a profound topic. I love the Ernest Holmes quote.

Kindly leave a meaningful comment. "Thanks for sharing" is NOT meaningful. Thank You!