Haiku: Columbus Day

11/10/2015
Spread the love
  • 216

“Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.” Henry David Thoreau

Haiku: Columbus Day - First Landing of Columbus on the Shores of the New World; painting by Dióscoro Puebla

Haiku: Columbus Day – First Landing of Columbus on the Shores of the New World; painting by Dióscoro Puebla

A discovery
What we know of Columbus…
Tyrant? Voyager?

History meets myth
A Columbus Day debate
We choose our poison

What do you know about Columbus Day?

“What represented newness of freedom, hope, and opportunity for some was the occasion for oppression, degradation and genocide for others” National Council of Churches

By prevailing over all obstacles and distractions, one may unfailingly arrive at his chosen goal or destination. Christopher Columbus

Civilization
Are crimes against man civil?
Who discovers whom?

We can celebrate
Freedom, Hope, Equality
But …. Columbus Day?

Do you find that you learn new things from blogging? I do. Knowledge is a singular sensation

My fellow bloggers were equally creative with their selections. Check out how others interpreted the theme –  Singular Sensation – below.

This post was inspired by a prompt from WP Daily Post: Singular Sensation If one experience or life change results from you writing your blog, what would you like it to be?

Positive Motivation Tip: Discover the facts behind the facts of holidays you celebrate…  Knowledge is a singular sensation

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos  First Landing of Columbus on the Shores of the New World; painting by Dióscoro Puebla via Wikipedia and/or from my Personal Collection.

1. upliftingfam permalink
    15/10/2015 11:16 am

I am thankful for Columbus day. Our country would have been discovered at some point but I think Columbus had the founding father’s and God’s plan in mind when he discovered America.

• 15/10/2015 10:39 pm

Christy, he didn’t discover America… You can’t discover what already exists with people and a vibrant culture.

2. Nicole Keener permalink
    15/10/2015 12:51 pm

I’m a big History buff! I hate that books always get it wrong because Columbus was not just the only one who found his way to this continent. Plus, I still think it is wrong what all the settlers did to the natives.

3. Sasha permalink
    15/10/2015 4:06 pm

Haiku – Very creative idea! Intriguing and deep… This post definitely has me thinking! I never really questioned why we celebrate Columbus Day.

4. QueenThrifty permalink
    15/10/2015 6:03 pm

Great post on a day of history and reflection

5. The Binder Ladies (@thebinderladies) permalink
    15/10/2015 9:13 pm

I love Thoreau, and love that quote at the top! Great Haiku, too….very thought provoking! Thank you!

6. Holly permalink
    21/10/2015 5:01 am

I have done a lot of independent reading about Christopher Columbus, and I cannot appreciate the efforts of some towns enough for taking the opportunity to change Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoples Day. I would love to see it changed all across the country, but know it probably won’t be. We sure do like to be complicit in our ignorance as a society, don’t we?

• 21/10/2015 11:16 am

Indeed. Well said Holly! There are towns and cities that have changed the name and the rest might catch up in our lifetime. TY! <3