Haiku: Bichon Frisé Named Bob

10/06/2015

“Pets are humanizing. They remind us we have an obligation and responsibility to preserve and nurture and care for all life.” James Cromwell

Haiku: Bichon Frisé Named Bob -  Cat (Tangy), Dog (Bob), and Bird (Bluejay) Collage

Haiku: Bichon Frisé Named Bob – Cat (Tangy), Dog (Bob), and Bird (Bluejay) Collage

My cat made a friend
Took a liking to this dog…
Bichon Frisé Named Bob

Mailbox caught his eye
Yeah, cats and dogs can be friends…
Bob peed, Tangy watched

Next day, Bob stops by
Stands by my mailbox … barking
Tangy meows back

Can cats and dogs be Friends? Our family cat, Tangy, loves to observe all the activity going on inside and outside our home; after all, he is a curious cat.  There’s never a dull moment for him and he keeps us entertained. As Sigmund Freud once said, “Time spent with cats is never wasted.” For this exercise, I felt he would be the perfect foil for a 20 minute haiku slam that covers an exchange/connection between three lifeforms. Hope it spoke to you.

“Until one has loved an animal a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” Anatole France

Haiku: Bichon Frisé Named Bob  - Collage

Haiku: Bichon Frisé Named Bob – Collage

A Bluejay draws near
Syrup and nuts plate in view
Cat meows, dog barks

Bluejay chirps in tune
Feeds off plate and eyes the two
Threesome in the works?

Bob growls at Bluejay
No bird will steal their limelight
Bluejay flies away…

Why three? Three is a powerful and symbolic number. It creates balance and forms a tight pyramid of strength.  I love that the quick haiku/poem/story that evolved, above and below, presented me with three clear options and the interaction that occurred was insightful and amusing.  I gladly took it… What does this all mean? What does it say to you?

“He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.” Immanuel Kant

Haiku: Bichon Frisé Named Bob - Tangy, Bob and Bluejay

Haiku: Bichon Frisé Named Bob – Tangy, Bob and Bluejay

Tangy made a friend
Took a liking to a dog…
Bichon Frisé Named Bob

Can we ink a deal?
Call it “The Cat and Dog Show!”
Bichon Frisé meets Cat

A Bluejay cottoned on
Bob and Tangy objected
20 minutes Slam

Would this work at a haiku slam?  Perhaps not. Maybe yes or no.  It doesn’t matter.  It’s all about connections, building  bridges,  and knowing when to move on…. It could have been pushed in a more emotionally explosive direction but, I wasn’t interested in going that direction with it. The message is there; the characters are there. Like life,  the rest is up to us. What are your thoughts?

This post was inspired by a WordPress Daily Prompt A Dog Named Bob:  You have 20 minutes to write a post that includes the words mailbox, bluejay, plate, syrup, and ink. And one more detail… the story must include a dog named Bob

Positive Motivation Tip: Our pets  teach us about life and relationships. They give us much to enjoy including stories to invent… Create Yours!

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos  From my Personal Collection and/or Bichon Frise via Wikipedia

1. Robin Masshole mommy permalink
    10/06/2015 3:07 pm

He is adorable!! We used to have a bischon named Alex and I miss him terribly!

2. Karen Dawkins permalink
    10/06/2015 4:12 pm

Awwwww…. so sweet. My kids tease me that the dog is my favorite child. Little do they know! Always love the one who doesn’t talk back. 🙂

3. Liz Mays permalink
    10/06/2015 4:25 pm

Awwww, you did a great job with it. I have a soft spot for “3” too.

4. martinkadelux permalink
    10/06/2015 4:27 pm

I love the haikus! …and I remember my friends bichon, Marley, from when we were kids. Fond memories from my childhood in your photos!

5. 10/06/2015 5:04 pm

Such a beautiful pet! Love the haiku too.

6. Christy Maurer permalink
    10/06/2015 5:13 pm

These are soooo cute! I always wanted a Bichon Frise! I have 3 cats and a dog. They tolerate each other, but I know cats and dogs can definitely be friends. Just look online and you’ll see so many pics of them together.

7. vegetarianmamma permalink
    10/06/2015 5:31 pm

What a cute bichon frise. I love his name Bob! We used to dog sit a cute little bichon like that, she was deaf.

8. Fred Hawson permalink
    10/06/2015 7:46 pm

Charming tale about a cat and dog friendship. Tell me more about the Bichon. Is it hard to take care of? Does it shed a lot?

9. maggiesblog2 permalink
    10/06/2015 7:55 pm

Great haiku! I had a dog and a cat that loved each other growing up!

10. luvabul permalink
    10/06/2015 8:12 pm

I love a dog named Bob. I love when we put forth the effort into naming a dog to their personality or what we feel they inspire.

11. upliftingfam permalink
    10/06/2015 8:30 pm

I know of several cats and dogs who have been great buddies. There is a misconception that cats hate dogs and vice versa. If they are given the right introduction, it might help. Often times they usually have to figure out which one is considered in charge. We have three dogs and my oldest tolerates the other two dogs. But most of the time she just growls and nimbly them to leave her alone.

12. Debbie Denny permalink
    10/06/2015 8:33 pm

Wow. That was fun. Great read.

13. Lisa Nolan at Monkey Star Press permalink
    10/06/2015 8:39 pm

What an inspiring post! I loved looking at all the animals and reading the motivations!

14. Laura O'Neill permalink
    10/06/2015 9:31 pm

Very creative Haiku! Those challenges must be fun to do. I just wish I had the time for it right now.

15. Pal Raine permalink
    10/06/2015 9:33 pm

Inspired to make an Haiku poem, that capture and preserve the moments of your love with animals. This can be a great exercise in writing poetry when you need a little inspiration from things around you.

16. Michelle hwee permalink
    10/06/2015 10:02 pm

How beautiful 🙂 haha and the photos are adorable!! Thanks for sharing it 🙂

17. MomGlenz (@MomGlenz) permalink
    10/06/2015 10:07 pm

These are some precious photos! thanks for sharing

18. Esme Sy permalink
    11/06/2015 1:44 am

I enjoyed reading the haikus. I, too didn’t believe that they can be friends, but when my sister’s cat came and got along fine with my Shih-Tzu, that’s when I knew.

19. Crystal (The Imperfect Mom) permalink
    11/06/2015 4:52 am

Animals bring so much joy and heartache. Thanks for the post.

20. sriches permalink
    11/06/2015 5:24 am

So so so cute! I am a huge dog fan and I love it when pets have human names!

21. harrietb (@harrietb) permalink
    11/06/2015 6:45 am

That is pretty cute. I like the way the animals interact.

22. dogvills permalink
    11/06/2015 8:03 am

Pets are amazing! They are good stress reliever and one great loyal companion as well. I love pets specially dogs! Thanks for sharing this one!

23. Papaleng Pagulong permalink
    11/06/2015 8:24 am

I am accustomed to reading just a single Haiku not three. Nevertheless, I find these
    Haikus noteworthy. There is depth in these lines. Dog and Cats be friends. Yes … But not to my dog Achilles.. He really hates seeing Muning inside our house. I don’t know why. Perhaps, my dog doesn’t want to share his foods.

24. Jessica Beal Harlow permalink
    11/06/2015 8:27 am

I agree, pets are very humanizing. Caring for animals is definitely a human condition. Our family wouldn’t be whole without our furry members!

25. 11/06/2015 8:29 am

I am an admitted animal lover and, once owned seven cats and dog at the same time, following various prompts from my daughters who were young at the time. Cats and dogs can be friends, and I believe their presence in a home is a great way to teach children about caring,

26. Victoria permalink
    11/06/2015 9:27 am

What adorable photos. I especially love the little puppy ones. Great Haiku too, you are very talented.

27. April G permalink
    11/06/2015 1:34 pm

Your haikus are creative and inspiring. I don’t have any pets myself, but I can see that you love yours.

28. Lai Gamboa permalink
    11/06/2015 4:11 pm

At times, my pets cat and dog are enemies but most of the time theyre friends. I love both of them, my stress relievers.

29. martinkadelux permalink
    11/06/2015 6:41 pm

I love the prompt at the end… I cannot think of a thing to write, but a dog named Bob is stuck in my head!

30. SweetMemoirs Page permalink
    11/06/2015 6:43 pm

I love that quote! It is so true.

31. Mia Foo permalink
    11/06/2015 6:45 pm

I think there’s pictures of more than 1 bichon. so, which bichon is bob? bichon are so fluffy they’re totally like a soft toy that moves! tangy looks pretty too!

32. M from The Stay-at-Home Life permalink
    11/06/2015 7:12 pm

What a wonderful haiku! The pictures are cute as well.

33. sinyees permalink
    11/06/2015 7:59 pm

Life is better to have a pets. I love cats and dogs, however, my place doesn’t allow me to have them as pet. So I got myself exotic pets. Haha~

34. foundfrolicking permalink
    11/06/2015 8:29 pm

Adorable. The cat actually reminds me of my old cat, Jasper, who passed away last year.

35. Sabrina permalink
    11/06/2015 9:16 pm

One of our neighbors also has a very friendly cat. A cat’s companionship can never be undervalued.

36. Jillian Fisher permalink
    11/06/2015 10:25 pm

I wrote a funny Haiku in creative writing in high school…wish I could remember it lol Awesome pictures!

37. 11/06/2015 11:00 pm

I saw that prompt and thought it was impossible, well done!

38. Tiffany Yong permalink
    11/06/2015 11:21 pm

Cute Bob. reminded me of the recent abandoned pets and animals who were tortured. Don’t understand why people can be so cruel to animals.

39. Stephanie Pass permalink
    12/06/2015 12:52 am

Love your pictures! I love the kitty on the book. He looks like he’s daring you to make him move, lol.

40. Jen permalink
    12/06/2015 2:36 am

Impressive haikus you have. I love how your love for your pet was so well expressed in this haiku. 🙂

41. Franc Ramon permalink
    12/06/2015 4:30 am

These pets looks really cute and cuddly. The haiku is also well written.

42. I Love Paars by: Lee permalink
    12/06/2015 4:40 am

What an adorable kind of breed. I used to have a Shar Pei and i miss having a dog.

43. JessicaACassidy permalink
    12/06/2015 7:58 am

Look at that white dog hair, wow! that is one tough job for the hairdresser.

44. Chubskulit Rose permalink
    12/06/2015 8:22 am

Such beautiful pets! I LOVE THE HAIKUS!

45. Nicol Wong (@yuk_lui) permalink
    12/06/2015 8:25 am

i can imagine this in a haiku slam. will just need to see what the mood is like first 😄

46. Amanda Love permalink
    12/06/2015 8:58 am

My daughter has always wanted a Bichon Frise. I loved the first one about the cat and the dog although they’re all pretty good.

47. Carly Brydon Anderson permalink
    12/06/2015 1:53 pm

Bob is an adorable bichon frise! And Tangy is such a sweet looking cat! I love animals. 🙂

48. Rebecca Swenor permalink
    12/06/2015 4:02 pm

This would be an interesting challenge indeed. I thing this would be fun to do. I do believe you can judge a person by how they treat there animals or any animal for that matter. Thanks for sharing,

49. Fernando permalink
    12/06/2015 6:29 pm

I’m not into pets but we have a dog and cat. This is we have and nothing much to own more. Other people do love more pets. Fernando Lachica

50. Teresa Martinez permalink
    12/06/2015 6:38 pm

Never had a pet but I can just imagine just how much care and love goes into taking responsibility for one.

51. Jason Panuelos permalink
    12/06/2015 9:21 pm

Ugh I love dogs so much that this dog is so adorable, it hurts! Haha! Such a cute haiku! 🙂

52. Papaleng Pagulong permalink
    13/06/2015 8:32 am

Nice Haikus. There is lots to pets that we should learn.

53. Dawn McAlexander Crawford permalink
    13/06/2015 5:35 pm

We used to have a cat that our little chihuahua would play with all the time. They were the best of friends. Well, at least the chihuahua thought they were! I don’ think the cat appreciated it too much, though.

54. 14/06/2015 8:37 am

The haiku was very well written! I have tried doing that back in high school and I just gave up. Poems are not for me, I guess.

Anyway, I love your cat! I’m both a cat lover & dog lover. I haven’t tried taking care of other pets such as a bird, fish, etc. I prefer pets I can carry, hold, embrace and play with.

55. Dave April Decheine permalink
    14/06/2015 9:08 am

His name is BOB? That just isn’t right LOL. I do love this breed, I miss having a puppy in the house.

56. Maria Teresa Figuerres permalink
    14/06/2015 9:06 pm

My husband loves dogs, but since it’s hard to care for a dog in a small condo unit, not to mention forbidden, he substituted a flower-horn fish and parakeets.

57. Jen permalink
    17/06/2015 6:27 pm

Such cute pets. My son is fond of dogs and cats but I’ve yet to overcome this trauma from childhood.

58. Papaleng Pagulong permalink
    17/06/2015 11:49 pm

Haiku that are well-written are too good to grasp. I used to make Haiku back then, but I stopped , I am no good in doing it.

59. Chubskulit Rose permalink
    18/06/2015 5:32 am

Your haiku are great and I love the fur babies’ pictures.

60. Nova permalink
    18/06/2015 8:08 am

I love animals, I just would rather not pet one because I get too frustrated with hairs and stuff easily…

61. Channel Marie Imperial permalink
    19/06/2015 1:35 am

Bob is so cute but I prefer the cat. I am a cat lover. ^_^

62. Maria Lianos-Carbone permalink
    19/06/2015 6:50 am

So cute. My parents have a Bichon Frise and I love her to pieces 🙂

63. Nova permalink
    19/06/2015 7:29 am

I have seen many cats and dogs become friends here, i thought before there is no way that they will ever be friends, however i guess its the matter on how we make them be friends as the owner, we need to discipline them just like kids.

64. Papaleng Pagulong permalink
    20/06/2015 12:13 am

There were times how I wish that I am a dog so my master can pamper me with much love.

65. JessicaACassidy permalink
    21/06/2015 6:00 am

My first pet when I first arrived in America is an orange cat. I named her Shadow ‘coz she always follows me wherever I go.

Kindly leave a meaningful comment. "Thanks for sharing" is NOT meaningful. Thank You!