12 Tips: Today Is Safer Internet Day!
“The freedom to connect to the world anywhere at anytime brings with it the threat of unscrupulous predators and criminals who mask their activities with the anonymity the Internet provides to its users.” Mike Fitzpatrick
Staying safe on the Internet is imperative. It can protect your data and your life. Unless you live on another planet, you know the internet is fraught with all sorts of Cyber-criminals; we live in a world of hackers, spammers, predators, trolls, spies and other creepy types. It takes vigilance and all the safety measures we can employ, to keep them at bay. Today is Safer Internet Day and over 100 countries globally are participating in the effort to raise awareness for smarter and safer Internet use. Google has kindly provided us with 12 important steps we can take to stay safe while surfing the internet. I’ll share them in 3 groupings of 4. How many of them do you use to stay safe on the internet?
1. Protect you Selfie photos and your account from hackers with 2 step verification.
2. Keep criminals and hackers out by updating your browser
3. Always make sure your account is secure by doing regular check ups on your settings
4. Always make sure to lock your Device Manager before the Cyber-thieves get to it
“The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn’t understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.” Eric Schmidt
5. Don’t engage in surprise purchases. Use password protection.
6. Control your searches for family friendly PG results
7. Identify your favorite Hangout sites and save them for return visits.
8. Keep YouTube’s Safety Mode locked on your device… Permanently
As you develop safety measures to make your Internet surfing life easier, it’s critical that you inform your friends, family, and others of these safety measures. What good is it if you are able to protect yourself but fall victim to a loved ones carelessness? You must educate people close to you on proper and safe Internet etiquette. Surfing the Internet is not only about getting information to help us with our work, it is also about preventing Cyber-criminals from taking advantage of us with malware, adware, Cyber-stalking, hacking, trolling and spamming. Keep your loved ones protected and informed. Share the tips you’ve learned with everyone.
More Below!“Privacy is not an option, and it shouldn’t be the price we accept for just getting on the Internet.” Gary Kovacs
9. Let your favorite browser (Chrome, Firefox) manage your 10,000 passwords
10. If you come across questionable content, flag it and let Google know
11. Learn to keep spies off your device with a PIN or other protective methods
12. Create complex, STRONG passwords with upper case and lower case letters and symbols.
We always talk about privacy issues and how we don’t want our information to get into the wrong hands. But what are you really doing about it? Do you know that if your email provider is lax about encrypting outbound/inbound emails you send, your private information could quickly become a bargaining chip for a thief. Take a moment to see which email providers support encryption and if yours is not on the list, demand that they do so or switch providers. Your safety is important , and as Gary Kovacs said above, your privacy should never be an option. It must always be protected. What are you doing to ensure that is the case? Below are the three links to what you can do now. I’ve also covered them above.
1.Explore these 12 safety tips. 12 tips for you right here.
2.Share the tips with your family and friends. Celebrate Safer Internet Day by sharing these tips with people you know
3.Find out how safe your email is Find out which email providers support encryption in the Transparency Report.
Positive Motivation Tip: Staying safe on the internet is important. It can save your data and your life. Be vigilant. Stay safe.