Weekly Photo Challenge: Shadowed Light…

09/01/2015

“Hope is like the sun, which, as we journey toward it, casts the shadow of our burden behind us.” Samuel Smiles

Weekly Photo Challenge: Shadowed  - The writing on the wall and the trees we cannot see...

Weekly Photo Challenge: Shadowed – The writing on the wall and the trees we cannot see…

Weekly Photo Challenge: Shadowed - Museums Quartier  in Vienna

Weekly Photo Challenge: Shadowed – Museums Quartier in Vienna

Shadow is the obstruction of light. Shadows appear to me to be of supreme importance in perspective, because, without them opaque and solid bodies will be ill-defined; that which is contained within their outlines and their boundaries themselves will be ill-understood unless they are shown against a background of a different tone from themselves. Leonardo da Vinci

For this photo challenge on shadows and light, I had to dig deeper in my files. Why? Because as an amateur photog, I file my photos with a system that works for me; some are obvious and others are obscure. For one, Shadows is not a file I’ve even thought of creating until today and I’m grateful for it. The photos are an eclectic collection of pictures taken around the globe. If you recognize any, share a memory of your time there.

“Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see..” Martin Luther King, Jr.

Weekly Photo Challenge: Shadowed  - Empire State Building shines overshadowing the rest.

Weekly Photo Challenge: Shadowed – Empire State Building shines overshadowing the rest.

Most people think that shadows follow, precede or surround beings or objects. The truth is that they also surround words, ideas, desires, deeds, impulses and memories. Elie Wiesel

Nathaniel Hawthorne once said that “Time flies over us, but leaves its shadow behind,” and that is so true. As I looked through my pictures for this assignment, I was struck by how quickly time flew by from when I took the shots and where I am today. That is the magic and beauty of photography. It captures images and encapsulates them on a frame, stopping time in its tracks… momentarily. This challenge made me wistful for specific moments in my life when these pictures were taken… The shadow casts a spell highlighting the darkness in the light.

“Friendship is the shadow of the evening, which increases with the setting sun of life.” Jean de La Fontaine

Weekly Photo Challenge: Shadowed  - Cathedral in Caen in light and shadow.

Weekly Photo Challenge: Shadowed – Cathedral in Caen in light and shadow.

The beginnings and ends of shadow lie between the light and darkness and may be infinitely diminished and infinitely increased. Shadow is the means by which bodies display their form. The forms of bodies could not be understood in detail but for shadow. Leonardo da Vinci

I remember sitting in this very, very cold cathedral with a great, sad history and wondering what it must have felt like to hold service in it hundreds of years ago. I still wonder about that… Have a great weekend!

My fellow bloggers were equally creative with their selections. Check out how others interpreted the theme below.

This post was inspired by a prompt from WP Daily Post: Weekly Photo Challenge: Shadowed For this week’s Photo Challenge, find the shadows. You can choose a literal interpretation and shoot an actual shadow, or you can play with the light and dark, and create a moody scene, or capture your subject in a rich and interesting way.

Positive Motivation Tip: Embrace the shadow behind the light. They are one and the same… Answers shine through for us.

More Weekly Photo Challenge Posts

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos from my personal collection.

1. 09/01/2015 12:46 pm

Love this quote: Shadow is the obstruction of light. And that shot in the cathedral is a *great* example. Well done.

2. themusinghousewife permalink
    09/01/2015 2:28 pm

Gorgeous photos! Shadows really can make a photo more beautiful.

3. 09/01/2015 3:00 pm

Those pictures are absolutely gorgeous. I love the cathedral.

4. jenniferjuro permalink
    09/01/2015 3:24 pm

Those are amazing photos! Cathedrals have always fascinated me. The shadows are amazing in the pictures.

5. 09/01/2015 3:58 pm

Such gorgeous photos! I love your motivational tip. I’m going to write that down. Very wise!

6. 09/01/2015 4:00 pm

I love the cathedral photo, that is beautiful. I am not usually a fan of shadows, they mean to me the absence of light and life.

7. 09/01/2015 4:06 pm

Shadows are amazing to photograph! You can find so many amazing things inside the shadows!

8. Jodi Stevens permalink
    09/01/2015 4:08 pm

You take some AMAZING pictures! Thanks so much for sharing!

9. Kelly Hutchinson permalink
    09/01/2015 4:46 pm

What an interesting challenge. I am not very good at the shadow versus light but I love your Cathedral in Caen in light and shadow

10. michele d permalink
    09/01/2015 5:36 pm

I’m not sure where you get your photos from but they are outstanding. Thanks for the photo challenge this week.

11. Nina Garcia permalink
    09/01/2015 5:53 pm

Beautiful! This is one of my favorite photography effects, you are very talented. Very good job!

12. 09/01/2015 6:38 pm

That is a great motivational tip.. take that one to heart!

13. 09/01/2015 7:36 pm

I love these weekly photo challenge. I enjoy seeing new pictures I haven’t seen before.

14. maggiesblog2 permalink
    09/01/2015 7:45 pm

I love the Empire State Building and cathedral photo! Beautiful as always!

15. 09/01/2015 8:48 pm

This post is so cool with a theme on shadows 🙂 I haven’t heard the quotes before even though I’m quite into these meaningful ones. And that Empire State building photo has a stunning composition. I stopped right there for a few seconds!

16. 09/01/2015 9:05 pm

Wow, it’s amazing how much we tend to ignore details until our attention has been called to it, like shadows. I never would’ve thought of how they define or cast a difference in what we see around. Take for example, your picture of the cathedral. The shadowy front completely changes the temperature of emotion. 🙂 I always like looking at your photos and reading your thoughts, Liz. 🙂

17. Fatemah permalink
    10/01/2015 1:27 am

This challenge looks quite amazing. It allows the blogger to enhance their creativity and express themselves. Great post!

18. 10/01/2015 1:49 am

The first photo really resonates,

19. Fernando permalink
    10/01/2015 2:48 am

Light and shadow are united to each other similar to our life here on earth. We can learn from our shadows through the light we are treading on. Fernando Lachica

20. Masshole Mommy permalink
    10/01/2015 3:07 am

It is cool how you can see the empire state building from so far away. It’s an icon.

21. 10/01/2015 3:23 am

Shadows really make the pictures dramatic! As a non-photographer, I usually avoid shadows… I guess that’s why I have a phone full of pictures of my dog! 🙂

22. Simone Riches-Teale permalink
    10/01/2015 4:05 am

Love all the images – especially the Empire State Building pic. Shadows are great in images, they add something more to a picture and give it a deeper meaning! Sim x

23. 10/01/2015 4:36 am

Another great motivation coming from you! Thank you so much! I like how you interpreted shadow and telling us that there is hope in everything!

24. Megan Elford permalink
    10/01/2015 4:50 am

What beautiful photos! The shadows really do play up on the mood of each one. If they weren’t there, the story behind each one would be completely different!

25. sikat101 permalink
    10/01/2015 6:40 am

For me, shadows mean that there is a light somewhere. In photography, a shadow creates a certain drama to an image. -katrina centeno

26. 10/01/2015 7:39 am

What beautiful photos! I love this challenge! Thanks!

27. 10/01/2015 9:36 am

I love all of the different interpretations on the theme. That first one is particularly impactful.

28. 10/01/2015 1:45 pm

I love the Empire State Building photo. I am a horrible photographer, but I just love looking at what others are able to capture in images.

29. 10/01/2015 6:09 pm

What a cool challenge! Your first shot is cool! And the Empire State Building speaks wonders- I love your interpretation.

30. meunfinished permalink
    10/01/2015 7:06 pm

wow! I have not heard shadows interpreted so deeply! Loved it and your pictures are beautiful!

31. 10/01/2015 10:35 pm

Chiaroscuro is one of my favorite photography themes… To focus and compose a photograph with an eye for the full spectrum of light means a dramatic, rich result. Beautiful quotes too!

xo,
    lauriel

32. 10/01/2015 11:19 pm

When I was in college, I hated shadows coz they made my life difficult whenever I’m developing my photos in the dark room. Shadows, for me, back then meant extra work – dodge & burn.

Of course, now, it’s different. Shadows ( and darkness ) make us appreciate light. And, this applies both to life and photography.

33. Bradley Finnearty permalink
    11/01/2015 12:44 am

Getting the shadows right has been hard for me for some reason. They seem to always be so stark in my outdoor photo’s. Thanks for the tips.

34. 11/01/2015 4:41 am

Hmm… think I must learn to admire shadow in pic. It does look very nice in the pic you shared.

35. 11/01/2015 8:20 am

I’ve never played around with my camera to explore shadows. Usually, they annoy me because they seem to creep up at the wrong time, and ruin a shot. However, I do appreciate the beauty of shadowing in pencil drawings.

36. 11/01/2015 8:36 am

All of these photos are so amazing. I saved the first one to my Art board on Pinterest.

37. 11/01/2015 9:03 am

I never ever get tired of seeing cathedral photos. They lend themselves to nicely to great pictures, and this one here is no exception. I love it!

38. loveforlacquer permalink
    11/01/2015 11:52 am

Your photos always leave me in awe! SO beautiful

39. Fi Ní Neachtáin permalink
    11/01/2015 12:21 pm

You captured so many interesting shadows. Such lovely photos, I especially like the first.

40. Vanessa permalink
    11/01/2015 12:30 pm

I love this Week’s Photo Challenge: Shadowed and I never interpret shadows literally but I seek for a hidden meaning in such shadowed pics, for example, expressing emotions, feelings or some kind of contrast.

41. Brandy Monday permalink
    11/01/2015 3:29 pm

beautiful!!

42. 11/01/2015 4:15 pm

Beautiful! I struggle with lighting in my photographs.

43. 11/01/2015 7:40 pm

I like the Empire State Building shots! it highlight the subject with the blue skies as background. Perhaps I should start to take some Shadowed photos, that could be fun. Thanks for the inspiration.

44. 11/01/2015 9:08 pm

Your photos are really great, especially love that one in the cathedral. I love how the contrast between the shadows and the highlighted areas give more character to the photos

45. Jasmine Stanford permalink
    12/01/2015 5:23 am

Gorgeous! I love photos they play with light and shdow, there’s something mystical about them

46. jazzymiranda12 permalink
    12/01/2015 5:24 am

Gorgeous! I love photos that play on light and shadows, there’s something mystical about them

12/01/2015 5:27 am

Your shadow photographs are very well-composed. Very curious about the first photo. What is that thing about “we grow water”? Is that a store? – Fred

48. 12/01/2015 5:35 am

This post gave me a new perspective about shadows. I liked the idea that it surrounds words, ideas and memories. May I also add that often, shadow and darkness are two things they use interchangeably but I think it shouldn’t because shadow gives emphasis on other things while darkness completely black out something. Am I getting my message across? Hope so.

49. 12/01/2015 5:42 am

Amazing pictures! 🙂

50. 12/01/2015 6:56 am

Interesting photos. Empire State Building looks very gorgeous for me! 🙂

51. 12/01/2015 7:30 am

This is an interesting post about shadow, light and even perspective. Your quotes are all very beautiful and valid. It might be difficult for people to see the light right at the start as the shadows are the obvious ones, it’s normal to do so, but always remember to look and notice the bright side of life too!

52. 12/01/2015 7:49 am

That cathedral is beautiful. Such beautiful architecture never fails to amaze me.

53. Melissa George permalink
    12/01/2015 8:38 am

wow the photo challege looks amazing. i love photography and its my hobby. photography is not an easy task to complete it takes a lot of patience and dedication to achieve a good phtograph.

54. eralight555 permalink
    12/01/2015 8:39 am

wow i love photography as its my passion. i like all the photo challenges and they have come out really well. it takes a lot of dedication and motivation to get a good photograph.

55. Joanna Sormunen permalink
    12/01/2015 9:03 am

What a wonderful post! I always enjoy your intake of all these challenges. Inspirational!

56. laurie damrose permalink
    12/01/2015 9:19 am

These are great photos.

57. 12/01/2015 11:35 pm

You took some amazing photos! I cant wait to see more photos from you!

58. judethomas21 permalink
    13/01/2015 2:12 am

These photos are beautiful, thank you 🙂

59. lisa permalink
    13/01/2015 10:18 am

I really like the photos. It’s not easy getting a great shot. The conditions have to be just right.

60. 17/01/2015 4:25 pm

Very Kewl 😎

61. Sumi Go | The Purple Doll permalink
    19/01/2015 8:36 am

I love shadows in photography! They really make a photo more interesting, just like how they make people even more interesting. Anyway, I would love to join this, but it would take me a long while to sort through photos and look for some with beautiful shadows. Just like you said, “shadow” isn’t really a common filing system.

• 02/02/2015 5:13 am

Thank you Sumi. Until the assignment, I didn’t think of the impact shadows have on shots, and so this was a great learning experience for me.

1. Weekly Photo Challenge: Shadowed | Pictures for Froghopper