Buridan’s Ass: When Hobson’s Choice Meets Morton’s Fork…
“Should two courses be judged equal, then the will cannot break the deadlock, all it can do is to suspend judgement until the circumstances change, and the right course of action is clear.” Jean Buridan
Buridan’s ass is an illustration of a paradox in philosophy in the conception of free will. A common variant of the paradox substitutes two identical piles of hay for the hay and water; the ass, unable to choose between the two, dies of hunger.
I know what you’re thinking… What the &(%@$$^$ is this about? Sure, I felt the same way when I read the prompt too. If you had to choose between being able to write a blog (but not read others’) and being able to read others’ blogs (but not write your own), which would you pick? Why? I promise, I tried to ignore it… Life is too complicated to get caught up in a blogging challenge dilemma and, quite frankly, my dearest, dearest reader (melodrama helps), I didn’t
care want to tackle the topic. I should have headed for the margaritas mountains and called it a day… but, NOoooo, the researcher in me had to go poking around for philosophical diatribes discourses on paradoxical dilemmas. Oy vey!
“We can try to avoid making choices by doing nothing, but even that is a decision.” Gary Collins
A Morton’s Fork is a choice between two equally unpleasant alternatives (in other words, a dilemma), or two lines of reasoning that lead to the same unpleasant conclusion. It is analogous to the English expressions “between the devil and the deep blue sea”, “between a rock and a hard place”…
Poking around the internet, I even found a riveting article on Psychology Today, The Dilemmas of Paradoxes:Are there ultimate answers in life or only continuing questions? that introduced the idea of PTSD and it’s impact on our ability to find ways to transcend complicated topics spiritually. Okay, how did I get here? I have no idea, but I liked the idea of continuing questions that don’t warrant definitive answers… Yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever, I hear some of you say: How the fric-frac did Hobson, Morton and Buridan get in on the act? And why are you not answering the darn question? Read or Write!!? Well, don’t get stroppy with me … that’s
my Buridan’s ass in the middle okay? Sheesh. More below!
“One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. Which road do I take? she asked. Where do you want to go? was his response. I don’t know, Alice answered. Then, said the cat, it doesn’t matter.” Lewis Carroll
A Hobson’s choice is a free choice in which only one option is offered. As a person may refuse to take that option, the choice is therefore between taking the option or not; “take it or leave it”.
Here are the facts: I read the question, recognized the dilemma, went looking for solutions, found three new friends, fell in love with Buridan the man, not the ass, and the rest is … the rest. I read, I write. I write, I read… Therein lies the rub. What say you? What are your thoughts? What do you do when caught in a dilemma? Do you have advice to offer on the subject? Do share! Thank you.
This post was inspired by a prompt from WP Daily Post: Morton’s Fork. If you had to choose between being able to write a blog (but not read others’) and being able to read others’ blogs (but not write your own), which would you pick? Why?
*Please bear with me as I catch up on your blogs and commenting… I’m back on track; albeit at a slow pace. Thank you all for your patience!
Positive Motivation Tip: When the going gets tough and a dilemma arises, pause, consider your choices and then … add some humor.
- Taking Control (hastywords.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Morton’s Fork (prisailurophileblog.wordpress.com)
- Hobson’s Choice (honestpuck.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Morton’s Fork – BLOGGER VS. AUDIENCE (ladyboymirror.com)
- Hobson’s Choice (memarustan.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Morton’s Fork (myjourneywithdepression.wordpress.com)
- PAD: Hobson’s Choice (christinadesignsart.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Morton’s Fork (nilaewhite.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Morton’s Fork (smallgrl.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Hobson’s Choice (stuphblog.wordpress.com)
- DP Challenge Hobson’s Choice « The Cheeky Diva
- Daily Prompt: Hobson’s Choice | Stuph Blog
- Daily Prompt: Hobson’s Choice « Hope* the happy hugger
- Daily Prompt: Hobson’s Choice | writinglikeastoner
- Daily Post: Hobson’s Choice | Musical Foodie Love
- Hobson’s Choice | Tony’s Texts
- Daily Prompt: Hobson’s Choice | Kansa Muse on Micro Farming and More
- Daily Prompt: Hobsons Choice « Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- DP: Hobson’s Choice « Life of Me and Mine
- Hobson’s Choice | Liquid Matthew’s Development Blog
- Daily Prompt: Hobson’s Choice | Burning Fire Shut Up In My Bones
- Daily Prompt: Hobson’s Choice « The Eclectic Eccentric Shopaholic
- It’s Going to Burn For Me to Say This | succexy
- Too Easy | Shadoza: In My World
- Hobson’s Choice – Daily Prompt | The World Through My Eyes…
- Morton’s Fork – Some Daily Prompt Thing | CJ’s Stuff
- Daily Prompt: Morton’s Fork | Live Life
- Hobson owned a livery stable | Seriously Seeking Grannies
- Monsterchens Geburtstag / DP 5.12: Morton’s Fork/Hypothetische Qual der Wahl: Nur selbst bloggen oder nur Blogs lesen?? (G / E) « OceanPhoenix
- Morton’s Fork – Daily Prompt « Angies Grapevine
- TAKING CONTROL « hastywords
- TDP: Jessica’s Choice | jrwritesthings
- Bold Splendor « Sisters of Christ
- Daily Prompt: Morton’s Fork – BLOGGER VS. AUDIENCE « The Ladyboy Mirror
- Go ahead, stick a Morton’s fork in it. | rarasaur
- Daily Prompt: Morton’s Fork | The Small Girl Chronicles
- Turn Down The Noise « Thinking Barefoot
- Daily Prompt: Morton’s Fork | N. E. White
- Hobson’s Choice Is No Choice At All (Daily Post Prompt Edition) | sandylikebeach
- Daily Prompt: Morton’s Fork | The Gozum Show
- Daily Prompt: Morton’s Fork « All that I am, all that I ever was…
- DP Challenge: Morton’s Fork | Beyond Beauty Tips
- Daily Prompt: Morton’s Fork « prisailurophileblog
- To Read Or To Write « Rose Chimera’s Babblings
- Daily Prompt: Morton’s Fork « Something Unspoken
- Daily Prompt: Morton’s Fork « Creative Escape
- PAD: Hobson’s Choice «
- Go ahead, stick a Morton’s fork in it. | rarasaur « The World According to Me…
- daily prompt: morton’s fork. « one small grain of sand.
- Oh, Now I’m Salty « GLORIOUS METTLE