Reflections: Why Complicate Life?

30/07/2012

“Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.” Confucius

Leonardo da Vinci

Leonardo da Vinci (Photo credit: Sirpale79)

Missing Somebody? … Call
Want to Meet Up? … Invite

Recently, a friend had one of those brilliant messages on a poster; the type that filters down our timeline on Facebook. It caught my attention because it posed honest yet simple questions and and suggestions that made me pause. It was simply reminding us to stop complicating our lives… Stop complicating our lives? Yes. You know how we all tend to make mountains out of little molehills? Right!

“Some people try to make everything complicated, be the person who tries to make everything simple.” Davy Waters

Simplicity

Simplicity (Photo credit: Rickydavid)

Want to be Understood? … Explain
Have questions? … Ask

I loved the common sense responses to the questions posed that I decided to share them in a post. I wish I could say that if everyone followed the simple suggestions, life would be a thrill. However, it might be that some of us love friction and, unless there is drama around, some of us don’t feel quite alive. We go out and create it… The least we can do is ask questions and expect answers.

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ~Leonardo Da Vinci

India-Luxury

India-Luxury (Photo credit: AslanMedia)

Don’t like something? … Say it.
Like Something? … State it

Back in the days when I worked in retail at Saks Fifth Avenue, I learned a valuable lesson; how to distinguish luxury goods from the rest. Luxury goods were often well made, looked deceptively simple, used beautiful materials, and were rarely over the top; even the colors were muted. The rest required some discernment. More below!

“It is always the simple things that change our lives. And these things never happen when you are looking for them to happen. Life will reveal answers at the pace life wishes to do so. You feel like running, but life is on a stroll. This is how God does things.” Donald Miller

Weekly Photo Challenge: BLUR - White Crocus Shot

Don’t make life complicate… white crocus

Want something? … Ask for it
Love someone? … Tell it
We just have one life. Keep it simple.

Keep it simple sounds so … simple. So why do so many of us lead complicated lives? We do have one life left in our bodies and we can make the best of what we have if we take loving care of it… when we decide and learn to embrace life and simplify, those simple moments of revelation will increase. Have a blessed day!

What are your thoughts? How do you complicate your life? What do you plan to do about it? What advice would you offer? Do share! Thank you. 😉

*Please bear with me as I catch up on your blogs and commenting… I’m back on track with reading and responding to your blogs; albeit at a slow pace. Thank you all for your patience! 🙂

Positive Motivation Tip: Take time to enjoy the simple things in life. Put your feet up. Sip a cup of tea. Relax

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos: via Wikipedia, Flickr, or from my personal collection.

1. 01/08/2012 12:47 am

you are positive woman…
    🙂
    vento

• 01/08/2012 6:48 am

And so are you dear one! Hope you are enjoying your summer in Italy. Where are you based? 🙂

2. 01/08/2012 1:24 am

How wonderful – I have just come up with a rather simple idea so your post is perfect timing!!! You are such a tonic.

• 01/08/2012 6:49 am

Excellent! I hope you run with it and turn it into the next Google. 🙂 TY!

3. 01/08/2012 3:06 am

I think being materialistic is a big complication for many people.

• 01/08/2012 6:50 am

It sure is hard for all of us…. It takes a concerted effort to simplify and we fall back into our patterns again and again. At least, making an effort is a great start. TY! 🙂

4. 01/08/2012 5:58 am

I agree that some prefer the drama ~ there was a time when I, too, craved excitement and would do anything to create it. But now I’m all for the simple life and find it so much more enjoyable. I love the Da Vinci quote, I’ve copied into my Lovely Quotes book. Thnk you for a lovely post, Elizabeth! 🙂

• 01/08/2012 6:36 am

TY and I know that well because it was the same for me and probably many of us… I have no patience for drama now. 😆

5. Freedom, by the way permalink
    01/08/2012 6:09 am

Great post! Love the quote about wanting to run through life, but forgetting that’s it’s a stroll. Stroll is such a self-descriptive word, isn’t it? It cannot be hurried when you say it.

• 01/08/2012 6:38 am

Yes, I plan to use it more often… Life is a wonderful stroll if we stop stressing… Note to Self too. 🙂 TY!

6. 01/08/2012 6:18 am

Lovely post Elizabeth! It reminds me of the Albert Einstein quote that if you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough. I think that’s true in all aspects of life. 💗

• 01/08/2012 6:42 am

I like that… and I agree it is true of much. Ever notice how scammers and nefarious types create confusion with their words? No real story, just confusion and fluff. Ay mi amiga! 🙂

7. 01/08/2012 6:38 am

Love that rose photo. It is really all about taking time to stop and smell the roses, isn’t it? 🙂

• 01/08/2012 6:45 am

True… and you know what, I wasn’t even thinking that but your observation is perfect. If we stroll by a garden and stop to smell the roses, we are keeping at pace with the rhythm of life… That early morning rush, rush is unnerving at times.

8. 01/08/2012 7:31 am

This post makes me want to go clean out my storage room!

• 01/08/2012 7:34 am

Haha! I have one too and haven’t checked on it for a while… Not a bad idea. 😆

9. 01/08/2012 7:59 am

This is a geat post. It is hard to simplify our lives. Often, we feel guilty if we do something for ourselves.
    My sister gave me a book which is titled “The Art of Doing Nothing by Veronique Vienne. Some of th simple things in the book give you pause. You know about them but how many do we actually do ,,,???!!!!
    Namaste,
    Izzy

10. 01/08/2012 8:03 am

I really liked the line “You feel like running, but life is on a stroll. ” I often feel that way. Loved the first quote as well from Confucius. I think I will write that one down, and put it up some where I can see it as a wonderful reminder. :+)

• 01/08/2012 8:47 am

i love these seemingly simple reminders too; especially when my patience begins to wear thin. 🙂

• 01/08/2012 8:51 am

We really do need constant reminders Thankfully we have great quotes, music, beautiful images, books, friends blogs, family……..

11. 01/08/2012 8:25 am

Excellent!

12. 01/08/2012 8:27 am

K.I.S.S. theory I learned over time…keep it simple, stupid. i used to complicate my finances but now, no money, no buy it. simple.
    Thanks!

13. 01/08/2012 2:57 pm

I guess I am the type of peron who makes things look more complicated than they really are.
    but honestly, if you miss someone and want to meet, can we just call and invite? I find that it’s not as easy as that – dpends on all the strings attached …
    I guess I need to remind myself to take things easy 🙂
    nice post

14. Goz permalink
    01/08/2012 4:44 pm

Love. The Albert Einstein quote “if you can’t explain it simply…” is beautiful.. Great writing Liz, as usual.

15. 01/08/2012 5:53 pm

I think I will take your advice and make myself a cup of tea! But I have never been a fan of Confucius. And I am not sure things are as simple as they seem… I wish they were. I would just say, focus on one thing at a time!

16. 01/08/2012 11:28 pm

I tend to overthink things which often leads to complications. Perhaps if I reacted more viscerally, I would keep life more simple and enjoyable.

17. 02/08/2012 4:30 am

With 4 very active kids, this is easier said than done. One of my goals this summer has been to turn off the electronics and help them to embrace the silence… for right now, we are just aspiring to ‘accepting the silence’!… Definitely a work in progress! 🙂 However, with all of the busyness in our lives as a family, my favorite moments are those simple, quiet times with one or more of my children. A book and a cuddle is paradise…

18. 02/08/2012 5:01 am

Great post and so so true! Keep it simple! Great quotes too!

19. 02/08/2012 5:50 am

How beautiful. SImplicity is very important for life.

20. 02/08/2012 6:26 am

“life on life’s terms”
    That small phrase has been my big mantra throughout recovery; to some extent, I think your post today is a another reminder to take what comes our way and deal with it head-on.

I liked Sunshine’s comment “i used to complicate my finances but now, no money, no buy it. simple” We can apply this concept to any area of life– from work to relationships–by accepting the reality of a situation and forming plans that work within that reality.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda is complicating! Focusing on what “is” is simple (and very freeing!)

Thank you Elizabeth…you always get my day started positively!

21. 02/08/2012 7:44 am

I knew I like you!…I have taped to my computer desk…”Do Not Make Simple Things Complicated!”…Right on!…What’s bad…is that we do it to ourselves …Of course loved the blog! ~mkg

22. 02/08/2012 8:42 am

Keep it short and simple. (KISS). Then life will not be complicated. Good post

23. PASTOR DAVIS/MASTER TEACHER permalink
    02/08/2012 9:52 am

“AWESOME!”

24. 02/08/2012 10:15 am

Many outdoor factors complicated life indeed! Such as the need for money to have a decent life, the need for excess education… etc… and among everything we still have to search for the simplest of things: to be happy.

25. 04/08/2012 7:37 am

Like a few of the folks who commented, i thought of KISS – Keep it simple, stupid.
    Yes, we do complicate our lives and it’s totally unnecessary. Just think how much further along we’d be, how much more we’d get done if we just made things simple.

26. 04/08/2012 11:46 pm

Shouldn’t be hard, but we need to get rid of our monumental egos first 🙂
    Well done Eliz.

27. 05/08/2012 6:49 am

Nicely written.. love the connected links as well.

28. 05/08/2012 2:12 pm

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for the follow

29. 06/08/2012 1:42 am

Lovely blog, loved everything written here. Very positive blog.

30. 07/08/2012 6:23 pm

Seriously obsessed with Your site !!!!!! Goooooood stuff
    i just found you on youtube as well 🙂

best
    xx
    Cat

• 08/08/2012 2:04 am

You are too kind! TY for checking in. 😉

• 08/08/2012 3:52 am

Seriously Seriously
        You have an amazing site ………………..
        Lots of beautiful thoughts and prayers your way …………xo

• 08/08/2012 9:17 am

TY so much Cat! I love your blog too! 🙂

• 08/08/2012 11:48 am

I listened and watched some of the vids ….
        You have a new subscriber – me 🙂 xo

1. Why Complicate Life? | rfljenksy – Practicing Simplicity
  2. 31 Days of Randomness- Personal Inspiration 7 – Going SMALL | rfljenksy – Practicing Simplicity

Kindly leave a meaningful comment. "Thanks for sharing" is NOT meaningful. Thank You!