Photo Challenge: FRIEND

31/05/2017

“The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing… not healing, not curing… that is a friend who cares.”  Henri Nouwen

Photo Challenge: FRIEND - Our animal friends...

Photo Challenge: FRIEND – Our animal friends…

Photo Challenge: FRIEND - Our animal friends...

Photo Challenge: FRIEND – Our animal friends…

A friend is what the heart needs all the time. Henry Van Dyke
True friendship multiplies the good in life and divides its evils. Strive to have friends, for life without friends is like life on a desert island… to find one real friend in a lifetime is good fortune; to keep him is a blessing. Baltasar Gracian
He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. Immanuel Kant

What is a Friend? For this week’s photo challenge on – FRIEND – I went along with the norm; I chose a selection of animal friends. Some are domesticated and others are not quite… Man’s best friend is his devoted pet who sits silently by his side through thick and thin… It works for me but, we have so many types of friendships. I have trusted friends from my childhood, teen years, and into adulthood and I’m close to my kids and my family/siblings. I cherish my human friends and my pet friends too. All have stood me in good stead along the happy and harrowing journey we call life. But, this assignment called for the singular word “friend” so, who do you choose over another? Clearly, this option works best for the exercise.

More below
“A friend is one who knows you and loves you just the same.” Elbert Hubbard

Photo Challenge: FRIEND - Our animal friends...

Photo Challenge: FRIEND – Our animal friends…

Photo Challenge: FRIEND - Our animal friends...

Photo Challenge: FRIEND – Our animal friends…

A true friend is someone who is there for you when he’d rather be anywhere else. Len Wein
The friend in my adversity I shall always cherish most. I can better trust those who helped to relieve the gloom of my dark hours than those who are so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity. Ulysses S. Grant
If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans. James Herriot

Who/What comes to your mind when you think of the singular word – FRIEND? We easily turn to our loved ones as they are a given in our lives, and their friendship and support is unequivocal… Perhaps that is why we take such devotion for granted in both our human and animal companions. Some of us thrive on friction, while others barely bat an eyelid because we all assume the love and support should be given without query…. True Friendship, however, is a great gift and blessing. If you are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of it, cherish it and reciprocate. Live, love life and all the dear Friends you have.

This post was inspired by a prompt from WP Daily Post: FRIEND – This week, share an image of a friend. The beautiful thing about friendship is that it transcends language. A beloved pet doesn’t need to articulate their thoughts with words for us to understand their affection. With a true friend — be they human, canine, or something else entirely — you can sit comfortably in silence and simply share space. As always, we look forward to your contributions!

Positive Motivation Tip:  Friendship transcends all barriers as it is the twin of love…

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos from my personal collection

1. Claudia Krusch permalink
    31/05/2017 3:25 pm

I need to get a few photos of myself and my best friend. This is a great photo challenge.I will have to try on the weekend.

2. Ana De-Jesus permalink
    31/05/2017 3:39 pm

Aw this is so sweet. My best friend is always there for me and like you said you know they are a true friend when they are with you through adversity! x

3. thehouseturnedhome permalink
    31/05/2017 5:08 pm

I have two pets, a dog and a cat, and they have helped me get through some pretty rough times! I fully agree that animals can be a friend, and I love that you chose them for this post.

4. Robin Rue permalink
    31/05/2017 5:58 pm

I don’t have many friends, but the ones I do are everything to me. I keep my circle tight, but I like it that way.

5. Kristina permalink
    31/05/2017 5:59 pm

I have a few close friends that I grew up with and some I’ve met over the past years that are like sisters to me.

6. Chanel van Reenen permalink
    31/05/2017 6:32 pm

All these photos are so sweet! I love animals so much and that orange kitty is my favorite!

7. terristeffes permalink
    31/05/2017 6:36 pm

We love our animal friends at our home. They are treated very well but they give us so much more than we could ever hope to repay!

8. Katie Femia permalink
    31/05/2017 8:59 pm

I love the red doors! They really seem to pop out of the photograph with their vivid color.

9. The Playful Parent permalink
    31/05/2017 9:02 pm

When I think of friend my best friend, my husband comes to mind.

10. Travel Blogger permalink
    31/05/2017 9:13 pm

Friendship is such an important part of life and essential to our mental and physical health. Having that trusted companionship allows us to discuss our inner most thoughts and share a bond that makes our lives better.

11. Amber Faith permalink
    31/05/2017 9:56 pm

My mom instantly comes to mind when I think of the word friend. She’s always been the easiest person to talk to, and she gives me straight forward advice without being overly judgmental.

12. Jessica (Swanky Recipes) permalink
    31/05/2017 10:13 pm

13. knotj5144 permalink
    31/05/2017 10:13 pm

One thing I’ve learned throughout the years is to never take friendship for granted. I’ve lost contact with a lot of friends throughout life but that doesn’t mean that I don’t think about them. What it does mean is that I’m always going to cherish the friendships I do have in life and recognize our bond! – JESSICA K

14. toastycritic permalink
    01/06/2017 12:31 am

Dogs certainly come to mind when I am thinking about friends. And I love the pictures of the monkey here. They are certainly cute together.

15. Elizabeth permalink
    01/06/2017 12:43 am

Whatever has happened to your new friends who have moved into your garden? Are they still there? 🙂

16. acraftymix permalink
    01/06/2017 1:05 am

You picked the best possible photos ever Elizabeth to portray friendship. Love them all.

17. Louise x (@withlovefromlou) permalink
    01/06/2017 2:57 am

These are all fantastic photographs that definitely say ‘friend’ to me. The one of the man and his dog is just brilliant. After all, a dog is a mans best friend 🙂

Louise x

18. Cristina Leau permalink
    01/06/2017 3:58 am

Aww… my best friend is my cat. Her name is Theia. She’s the best cat in the world (I think every owner thinks like this about their pet) This is a lovely theme you choosed.

19. Jessica Joachim permalink
    01/06/2017 4:53 am

i have always loved how a true friend is someone you don’t have to talk to daily. Someone who you might not see as often as you like, but if something were to come up, they would be right there in a moment.

20. rhianwestbury permalink
    01/06/2017 5:03 am

Lovely photos and it’s nice to think of friends not just as people but also pets x

21. Marceline Dementori permalink
    01/06/2017 6:11 am

This is such a nice interpretation of the word “friend”. It doesn’t have to be a person, it can also be our fur babies, they’re our constant companion anyway.

22. darmarq permalink
    01/06/2017 6:45 am

Aww I love the various pictures of animals with their friends and the one with dog as a mans best friend!

23. Keeping Up With Candy permalink
    01/06/2017 6:47 am

I’ve always silently envied girlfriends simply because I’ve never really had true friends. Whenever I assumed I did, they would ALWAYS do something to stab me in the back. I mean, like horrible things. I’m always like ‘Why’ and I never get answers. So it’s just me and the family. They’ve always been loyal and my support system always.

24. Jackie permalink
    01/06/2017 8:05 am

This is so sweet. The photography is amazing and what an inspiring blog post. I think friendship is so important and a very special relationship as well.

25. Stace Werner permalink
    01/06/2017 8:50 am

I really enjoyed your post.
    I like your analysis of what and who a friend is.
    Your photos look awesome.

26. Jeanine permalink
    01/06/2017 9:00 am

I love how you have dogs and cats photographed. So true they are some of the best friends one can have!

27. 01/06/2017 9:27 am

One of the best things a child can have is pet. As annoying as our dog is sometimes, I can see how important it is for my children to have a dog who plays with them and loves them with no judgement, ever.

28. Jenn JG permalink
    01/06/2017 9:49 am

How cute are all these little friend pictures! Animals really are the best of friends. Love this post and the meaning behind it

29. Monika permalink
    01/06/2017 10:17 am

When I think of the word “friend” I think of all the people in my life that have supported me and never wavered. Friendships have ebbs and flows but they all have meaning.

-M

30. Cindy Ingalls permalink
    01/06/2017 11:01 am

There is nothing like a pet, or for me a dog. They are constant friends and companions that are always there for you.

31. Shannon Graham permalink
    01/06/2017 11:22 am

The photo with the man and dog you chose almost made me tear up. I believe a bond between man and animal is unlike any other.

32. Amber permalink
    01/06/2017 12:20 pm

I love finding a friend. It can be tough for me because we move around every few years since my husband is in the military. But I usually always find someone I can talk to.

33. travelnidajourney permalink
    01/06/2017 12:23 pm

Well Said about Friendship !! Nice post love these pictures !!

34. nmetolen75 permalink
    01/06/2017 2:28 pm

I think this is one of your cutest photo challenges! I love seeing all the pictures of the animal buddies! Totally made me smile!

35. Deanna permalink
    01/06/2017 4:02 pm

This is all so true! I have a friend that embodies all of this and I love her so much. As I get older I try to be a better friend and to choose friends more carefully. Friendship is a gift!

36. Chloe permalink
    01/06/2017 4:26 pm

When I think of the word friend I often think of family. Some of my closest friends are also my family and I wouldn’t have it any other way!

37. Raine C. S. permalink
    01/06/2017 4:38 pm

I couldn’t possibly think of just one thing that sums up the word friend. I have animals who have been the best of friends. Then of course there are the humans in my life who have done so much for me. Friends is a big word with a lot of meaning. I’m lucky to have so many great ones.

38. kaylee marie permalink
    01/06/2017 5:05 pm

I love the quote about friends knowing you and loving you all the same. The photo of the two dogs is adorable!

39. Hey Sharonoox permalink
    01/06/2017 5:10 pm

I always want to think God is my friend. A friend I can talk and listen without being judgmental. A friend who loves me first.

40. Jay Colby permalink
    01/06/2017 5:11 pm

Friendships can be some of the most meaningful relationship we have especially if they have our best interest at heart. Great article!

41. redheadbabymama permalink
    01/06/2017 5:38 pm

What a nice collection of furry friends you have! I took my fair share at Disney’s Animal Kingdom last week with the White Rhinos lounging in the mud wallow together.

42. GlamKaren permalink
    01/06/2017 5:45 pm

Yes – friends definitely include animals! I mean, they are that constant piece of love in ones life. Unconditional love. My cats have always been the closest to my heart growing up and now.

43. Jane Davidson permalink
    01/06/2017 6:01 pm

What great photos! So cute! And such a great prompt. There are so many different ways to go with that!

44. Lynn Wiltse (@PixieDustedMom) permalink
    01/06/2017 6:06 pm

I love that you chose animal friends to share. Furry friends are some of the most loving and loyal friends you’ll have in your life.

45. Joanna @ Everyday Made Fresh permalink
    01/06/2017 6:31 pm

The older I get the harder it is to actually make friends. I’m so glad that I still have my best friend from childhood. We may be 800 miles a part, but we talk on the phone daily, just like we did in middle school!

46. Janel Berchielli (@JanelB) permalink
    01/06/2017 6:43 pm

Very true I have many people who I consider a friend but sometimes my dogs are better friends than anyone else . Great challenge topic.

47. Marcie permalink
    01/06/2017 6:55 pm

I love your photo of the giraffes! I hope they really are friends. Friendship is so important!

48. Dawn McAlexander permalink
    01/06/2017 7:28 pm

A true friend is hard to find. It has been my experience that those who call you friend will run and hide when the chips are down and you need them most. That’s not a true friend. A true friend sticks with you, through thick and thin.

49. Carolyn permalink
    01/06/2017 7:42 pm

I like the idea that a true friend shows up in both times of joy and sorrow. I aim to be that kind of friend.

50. reesa permalink
    01/06/2017 7:44 pm

How sweet are all of these photos of animals! They surely can teach us something about friendship!

51. mls3004gmailcom permalink
    01/06/2017 9:24 pm

I feel like friendship is a very delicate and difficult flower that when cultivated properly can bloom into an amazing garden. I keep my good friends very close and I don’t have too many friends who are not close. I encourage my children to really evaluate their friends and friendships as well.

52. chewoutloud permalink
    01/06/2017 9:24 pm

Awww, these are simply adorable. I love all the expressions of “friendship” 🙂 🙂

53. Ophelia Tang permalink
    01/06/2017 10:50 pm

I love your post. It reminds me that my friends are the people who are always there are you during the toughest time. Thanks for sharing.

54. KYLIE ABREU permalink
    01/06/2017 11:37 pm

So sweet and I love the photos. I instantly think of my best friend when I think of friend. She is awesome, don’t know what i would do without her

55. Ayushi Arora permalink
    02/06/2017 4:47 am

This is such a delicate post, I mean it flows with the emotions and I really like this one, referring to a friend, I think my mom is the who has always stood by me and listened to me carefully while I was crying or laughing.

56. Tammy permalink
    02/06/2017 4:48 am

The picture with the bike is my fav. Beautiful

57. Kait permalink
    02/06/2017 4:52 am

The older I get, the more I realize how important friendship it and that real friendship requires work and care. We often take relationships for granted but they need nurturing and attention just like anything else.

58. Amanda Love permalink
    02/06/2017 5:58 am

I love the pictures that you chose to interpret what friend means. It can be our furry friends or it could also be someone who has been in our lives through thick and thin.

59. Joanna permalink
    02/06/2017 6:02 am

You have captured very well the concept of friends, by showing our most loyal creatures that live near us and that are always there for us. I guess we all aim towards a friendship like that, with people.

60. lily@militaryfamof8 permalink
    02/06/2017 6:21 am

Dogs and cats are really a friend. They will love you unconditionally without even knowing if they will love them back.

61. Jenny Temcio permalink
    02/06/2017 6:28 am

My daughter works full time now and wants to get a dog friend for her little dog Lily so she wont feel alone all day. Everyone needs friends!

62. priti permalink
    02/06/2017 6:30 am

Friend is a ” person whom one knows and with whom one has a bond of mutual affection… !! And animals can be man’s best friends – totally agree with it

63. Jessica@HappilyHughes permalink
    02/06/2017 7:25 am

“A friend is one who knows you and loves you just the same.” I think this is really a great definition of a friend for me. This is the best kind of friend, someone who knows you inside and out, even the not so great parts and still loves and accepts you.

64. Chei Pangan permalink
    02/06/2017 9:25 am

Dogs are family. I had a dog before. I loved her so much but too bad she was gone last 3 years but she still remains with my heart.

65. Esse D permalink
    02/06/2017 9:41 am

This is really sweet. If I were to share a picture of a friend, I’d probably share a picture of my 2 year old. As much as he stresses me out, he seems to know exactly when I just need love. 😍

66. Corinne & Kirsty 🌸 (@corinnekirsty) permalink
    02/06/2017 10:52 am

These pictures are so cute! THey are great! I particularly love the one of the two monkeys and the two dogs! So adorable! Next thursday is best friends day so this has a great timing! xx corinne

67. Megan permalink
    02/06/2017 11:22 am

When I think of friends or the word friend I think of family. They say friends are the family you get to pick and I feel like that is so true!

68. fasetto permalink
    02/06/2017 12:53 pm

There are so many different types of friends. Work friends that are only superficial, weekend party/drinking buddies, close fiends that you can count on in trouble and yeah of course, your fussy animal friends 🙂

69. Kristine Nicole Alessandra permalink
    02/06/2017 2:09 pm

When I think of the word “Friend,” I think of someone who knows me more than my family does. Someone I can share secrets with, and someone who will listen when I really need to talk. Having good friends is a blessing. My very first best friend was my first cousin.

70. Helene Cohen Bludman permalink
    02/06/2017 3:01 pm

These photos speak volumes about friendship. The animal ones are my favorites.

71. Lynzy & Co permalink
    02/06/2017 3:07 pm

Dogs really are man’s best friend. These pictures are absolutely amazing. I love seeing the friendship aspect of other animals. Such a smart and amazing idea. Animals really are so much like humans. I love this!

72. Heather Riccobono (@BrieBrieBlooms) permalink
    02/06/2017 4:41 pm

I love this photography set. We have lots of furry friends at our house and I can’t say enough about the benefits of having a pet.

73. Jennifer permalink
    02/06/2017 5:06 pm

This is so sweet. We plan on moving to a farm in a few years and I can not wait for my kids to have a bunch of animal best friends.

74. Elizabeth permalink
    02/06/2017 5:18 pm

Friends are so important! I truly believe we can’t go through life without friends and family.

75. Claire Santiago permalink
    02/06/2017 5:31 pm

A friend, for me is someone that stays in your heart despite the absence of the distance. I only have few “real” friends and I treasure them all.

76. Gennifer Rose permalink
    02/06/2017 5:57 pm

There’s no better gift than a true friend. Be sure to cherish them and nurture your relationship.

77. Anosa permalink
    02/06/2017 6:17 pm

I believe that all of us need a friend. It’s like having another sister/brother from different mother that loves you the way you are.

78. E H (@ehesketh) permalink
    02/06/2017 6:26 pm

I love all of the photos that you have found to show the true friendship! Very often our pets feel us and know how to help us better than our human friends.

79. ❤ TheMrsTee 👓 (@themrstee) permalink
    02/06/2017 7:07 pm

What an awesome collection of photos! My Kiddies are so in love with the newest member of our family – a puppy – it surprises me at times. They truly see her as another sibling. It’s so cute!

80. Cassie Tucker permalink
    02/06/2017 11:29 pm

When I think of the word “friend,” I think of my husband. We started as friends in college. Then we became “best friends” and then we finally entered a romantic relationship.

81. Rahul Khurana permalink
    03/06/2017 1:56 am

Friends are the most important part of our life. A true friend accepts us for who we are. Also, I think animals or rather pets turn out to be a better friend when we are sad and alone It’s some sort of bond that we should develop more. 🙂

82. Terri Ramsey Beavers permalink
    03/06/2017 4:07 am

A very sweet friendship post. I’m not sure one certain friend comes to mind when I hear that word. My dog and I live alone so he would be a best friend for sure. I also have many offline and online friends.

83. theresasreviews permalink
    03/06/2017 5:20 am

These are all such adorable demonstrations of friendship! It’s very cute to see friends in the wild.

84. amyandtots permalink
    03/06/2017 6:47 am

My dog is one of my closest, he’s always there for me when I need someone to talk to.

85. Angela Ricardo Bethea permalink
    03/06/2017 11:13 am

This is really a heartwarming post about friendships and about our friends. I don’t need a lot of friends. A very loyal and genuine friends is enough for me.

86. Cynthia Nicoletti permalink
    03/06/2017 9:51 pm

I love this weeks challenge. I can relate to it very much. I do have a few friends that would be there for me anytime.

87. arainofthought (@arainofthought) permalink
    04/06/2017 10:57 am

I love the little monkeys..so cute. And I absolutely consider my pets my friends. I hug them and they hug me back. We cuddle. I miss them and I’m pretty sure they miss me too.

88. Mommy Engineering permalink
    04/06/2017 2:01 pm

WHen I think of the word friend, I think of my husband and looking through your photos, I would’ve never thought of my dogs but they are so much more than friends to me. they are family 🙂

89. toughcookiemommy permalink
    04/06/2017 5:35 pm

It’s so hard to find real friends these days. I love to see friends being close and loyal to one another.

• 04/06/2017 9:35 pm

So true Maria… So much witch-hunting, backbiting, and mean girl crap out there…. live and let live is a motto lost on so many these days. 😦

90. Lynnette permalink
    04/06/2017 9:18 pm

My dog is my best friend! THey make the best listeners and are so loyal

91. Sondra Barker permalink
    04/06/2017 10:35 pm

Loved your photos. Those are some great shots.

92. The Trophy WifeStyle permalink
    05/06/2017 6:45 am

Omg so many cute pictures!!! Friends are so important. I think sometimes we don’t give our friends enough credit.

93. Nadine Cathleen permalink
    05/06/2017 7:33 am

Dogs are so loyal and the human’s best friend 🙂 Great photos – I find it fascinating to learn about the inner social circle and dynamics of different animals (e.g. apes, lions etc).

94. Heather Tomoyasu (@USJapanFam) permalink
    05/06/2017 8:13 am

So cute! I especially love the monkey photo – my twins have started grooming each other and it makes me laugh haha!!

95. Josselyn Radillo permalink
    05/06/2017 9:10 am

I love this post, my dog he always know when I’m sad and he’s def my best friends he doesn’t complain of how many tears i shred and he doesn’t judged me

96. lauren barth permalink
    06/06/2017 6:58 pm

I’ve found that finding new friends as a mom has been a real challenge for me. But I’m fortunate to have a few really special friends in my life.

97. raisingyourpetsnaturally permalink
    15/06/2017 1:50 pm

This is so sweet. I love this collage. Friendship is so important for all of us.

98. Yeu Doi permalink
    18/06/2017 6:55 pm

Pets are our best friends. They are so loyal, funny and brighten our days! Great post.

1. Friend: Amis | What's (in) the picture?