“There are two kinds of light – the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.” James Thurber
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us, it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” Marianne Williamson
This was a lot of fun to do and you can tell I’m a big fan of lights; night lights, bright lights and indoor and outdoor lights. The minute I read the word – illumination – the quote by Marianne Williamson came to mind. My only regret is that I still haven’t captured the gazillion display ads lights on 42nd Street in NYC. I should make a project of it and head for the city one day and do it. The colorful McNamara LED light Terminal on Concourse A in Detroit is always a favorite. Also concerts are a great place to capture illuminating lights… Which of the selection do you like?
“From its brilliancy everything is illuminated.” Guru Nanak
And of all illumination which human reason can give, none is comparable to the discovery of what we are, our nature, our obligations, what happiness we are capable of, and what are the means of attaining it. Adam Weishaupt
The photo collections here are from different events, settings, and periods. I combined the Alexander McQueen shots with a Schiaparelli/Prada shot. The tree lights are mostly from Rockefeller Center area during the holidays. The Buddha is from a beautiful temple upstate.
Everything is Illuminated. Jorge Luis Borges.
“I am the current that flows into every bulb and illuminates it. Those who see me as separate are seeing falsehood. I am in your hearts; you are in Mine. Don’t be misled into doubt and distress.” Sri Sathya Sai Baba
I captured some interior lights from the Chelsea Market place. The buildings are from around the world. When feasible, I’ll add a short identifier or invite you to feel free to guess. Which one do you like best? I’d love to know your favorite. Thank you and Enjoy!
“All the darkness of the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle, yet one candle can illuminate all the darkness.” St. Francis of Assisi
“In the beginning, when ray and day had not yet come into existence, there was a kind of radiance that illuminated the universe. That radiance is the light of knowledge and goodness. That radiance will shine brightly even after all the stars in this universe died out.” Toba Beta
Hope you enjoyed this illuminating journey. I leave you with a aquote that speaks to how I feel about illuminated spaces. “As we moved along in a little procession, I was delighted with the illumination of the streets. So many lamps, and they burned until morning, my father said, and so people did not need to carry lanterns.” Mary Antin
Stay Inspired, have a blessed weekend and thank you for stopping by!
*Please bear with me as I continue to catch up on reading and commenting on your blogs. Thank you all for your patience!
This post was inspired by a prompt from WP Daily Post: Weekly Photo Challenge: Illumination. Lights are functional — everyday objects in our rooms and on our streets. Yet lights can be powerful symbols: signs of life, curiosity, and discovery. We’re interested in seeing what you come up with for illumination — particularly your creative interpretations and more abstract approaches. In a NEW POST CREATED SPECIFICALLY FOR THIS CHALLENGE, Share a picture which means Illumination to you!
Positive Motivation Tip: In time, all things come to light. All our actions become part of us; an illumination of our heart’s glow… Share your gifts!
PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos from my personal collection.
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Illumination (dailypost.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Resolved… (eof737.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Illumination (diamondmikewatson.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Illumination (daddysnaughtylittlegirl.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Illumination (lensandpensbysally.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Illumination (myblogexactly.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Illumination (charlieray45.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Illumination (fourdeeroak.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Illumination (starlight427.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Illumination (staceycovell.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Illumination (livonne.com.au)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Illumination (chrisbreebaart.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Illumination (joyandwoe.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Illumination (windagainstcurrent.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Illumination (hugmamma.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Illumination (iamrcc716.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Illumination (outandaboutinthecity.com)