Weekly Writing Challenge: Revelation and Change…
“Experience is a revelation in the light of which we renounce our errors of youth for those of age.” Ambrose Bierce
Is there a sudden event that changed your life forever? When I look back on my life, I can recall events; some small and some large, that shifted my thinking or helped me decide that I had to stick to a plan or perish. We’ve all had them; remember those corners we chose not to turn, the stop light we waited a bit longer at, the places we decided not to visit, or the people who appeared and then vanished? All of them added something to our lives and then we worked hard to justify our role in it and how we chose to remember the details. When I decided to move to the US from the UK, my dad was set against it. “You’re a young female with no one to supervise or guide you. Why America?” He asked. “Why not America? I’ve never been there and it offers all sorts of educational opportunities…” I muttered. Of course, I “forgot” to mention that love was in the air, but let me not get ahead of myself.
“People need revelation, and then they need resolution.” Damian Lewis
Months later, I arrived at JFK Airport on my way to a new life and the possibility of everlasting love. I had the requisite paperwork for my new school and I was excited about the prospects of starting a new life of love and learning; with great emphasis on the love part. I was young, naive, and probably too excited about my move to another country that I missed the usual cues that come with a relationship built on fantasy and empty promises. My boyfriend was effusive about my relocation; even sharing information on all the wonderful places we’d visit. If I recall, Hollywood was heavily favored on his list… Yeah, that should have been symbolic… the land of dreams. Once I settled into my new place and registered for classes, I went looking for lover-boy. You see, just before I left London, he told me he had some pressing graduate school papers to write and would be AWOL on my arrival. “Not to worry! Lets connect over the weekend!” He said. Yeah… and Bob’s my uncle. More below!
“An idea, to be suggestive, must come to the individual with the force of revelation.” William James
Over the weekend, I met up with some old friends and went sightseeing. I asked them if they knew lover-boy and one knew of him vaguely. After a few hums and hahs, she mentioned something about him being attached. “Attached to what?” I asked foolishly and she changed the subject. Back at my place, I went looking for lover-boy. To cut a long story short, we spoke, we met, and yes, he was attached, in more ways than one. At that moment, I knew we were done. Over. Finished. Also, I knew I had to focus on my studies and move on. Once the semester ended, I changed schools and moved out of state. Relationships are a beautiful thing but they must be based on truth and trust. Don’t prolong it, don’t make excuses… Move on. You’ll be doing each other a big favor. What are your thoughts? Is there an instant that changed your life forever? Was there a moment when your life was changed in a split second? What do you remember? How did it happen? Do share! Thank you. :-)
*Please bear with me as I catch up on your blogs and commenting… Thank you all for your patience! :-)
This post was inspired by a prompt from WP Daily Post: Weekly Writing Challenge: An instant can change our lives forever
Just as we can suspend a moment in time by snapping a photograph, an instant can change our lives forever. For this week’s writing challenge: tell us about a moment when your life was changed in a split second. The good, the bad, the funny, and the thought-provoking, our lives are composed of a series of meaningful events that help to shape who we are. Every now and then, we get a wake-up call where a snap decision or revelation changes our perspective completely.
Positive Motivation Tip: If we pay attention, life will reveal its warnings and wisdom to us. Be vigilant. Stay blessed.
- Weekly Writing Challenge: In An Instagram (dailypost.wordpress.com)
- Sending it was harder – Joy and Woe
- In an Instagram…. « artist. hippie. cali chick. chic. nerd. beach bum. fashionista.
- Love of a Child « The Other Courtney
- In An Instagram… « Wryting…
- Versus. « ooplalund
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Never An Instant Change « Something Unspoken
- In an Instagram-DP Challenge « free penny press
- Writing Challenge: The Life-Changing Moments That Weren’t | Going the Distance
- Fly for Icarus
- Africa, Albinism and Action | Afrojunkee.wordpress.com
- Weekly Writing Challenge: In an Instagram | The Serenity Space
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Transpacific « Kingdom of Sharks
- Protest and Planes. « With a Side of Serendipity…
- Weekly Writing Challenge: In An Instagram | Tea with a Pirate
- Weekly Writing Challenge: In an Instagram « Deliberate Donkey
- Weekly Writing Challenge: A Change in Perspective | The Life of A Thinker
- Free Hugs: Hug for Freedom « everyday gurus
- 100 Posts and Counting | The Retiring Sort
- An Instagram of Moments « Living, Loving, Laughing…..
- Weekly writing challenge: the instant my life changed « Being Special
- That instant glow « Detours by Deepali
- My Prince Charming | On Life Readings & Cupcakes
- On Asbury Avenue « Clover and Thyme
- Don’t you forget about me… « justmomentarily