“A single rose can be my garden… a single friend, my world.” Leo Buscaglia
In a harsh world with its many ups and downs, friendship is a much needed lifeline. We cultivate all sorts of friendships; some lasting and others temporary. No matter what type we have, friendships enrich our lives and teach us many lessons.
“Nothing but heaven itself is better than a friend who is really a friend.” Plautus
Friendship IXX by Khalil Gibran
And a youth said, “Speak to us of Friendship.”
Your friend is your needs answered.
He is your field which you sow with love and reap with thanksgiving.
And he is your board and your fireside.
For you come to him with your hunger, and you seek him for peace.
When your friend speaks his mind you fear not the “nay” in your own mind, nor do you withhold the “ay.”
And when he is silent your heart ceases not to listen to his heart;
For without words, in friendship, all thoughts, all desires, all expectations are born and shared, with joy that is unacclaimed. Contd below
We turn to our friends for fun times and during fearful or stressful times. Sadly, it is often during our darkest hour that we get to know who our true friends are. Life is that way, and perhaps it is best to find out than to walk around clouded by our own delusions about our friendships.
“Fear makes strangers of people who would be friends.” Shirley MacLaine
When you part from your friend, you grieve not;
For that which you love most in him may be clearer in his absence, as the mountain to the climber is clearer from the plain.
And let there be no purpose in friendship save the deepening of the spirit.
For love that seeks aught but the disclosure of its own mystery is not love but a net cast forth: and only the unprofitable is caught.
And let your best be for your friend. Contd below
When I look at the different groupings of friendships framed in the photos above and below, I am reminded of the beautiful gift of friendship and how much it sustains us. I’ve written about friendship on several occasions because I never tire of this fascinating subject and its impact on our lives. To have a friend is to be doubly blessed, and we don’t need an entourage for our friendships to matter. As Buscaglia said above, “…a single friend, my world.” More below!
“Friendship needs no words – it is solitude delivered from the anguish of loneliness.” Dag Hammarskjold
If he must know the ebb of your tide, let him know its flood also.
For what is your friend that you should seek him with hours to kill?
Seek him always with hours to live.
For it is his to fill your need, but not your emptiness.
And in the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures.
For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed. via famouspoetsandpoems
Like the ocean tide, our friendships ebb and flow. Some are renewed and rejuvenated over time; having survived the test of painful, hurtful moments. Others float away forever lost in the ether; severed by unresolved hurts or unspoken misunderstandings. New ones might get formed but only time will tell. What about you?
Here’s to more brilliance in June to all!
Hope you enjoyed this! What are your thoughts? What photos did you share on FRIENDSHIP to fit the task? Was it easy/hard to find photos that supported your perspective on the subject? Were you drawn to certain types of photos for the prompt? Do share? Thank you!
*Please bear with me as I continue to catch up on your blogs and commenting… Thank you all for your patience!
My fellow bloggers were equally creative with their selections. I listed several via Zemanta below. (I will update it and add more). We all appreciate trackbacks/ping-backs and LIKES from fellow bloggers too! Check out how others interpreted the theme – FRIENDSHIP – below. ***
This post was inspired by a prompt from WP Daily Post: Weekly Photo Challenge: FRIENDSHIP Friendship. There are so many ways to show friendship and to see it in others. This trio of boys at a wedding didn’t let the lack of a common language be a barrier to their friendship – they played all day! Share a picture about FRIENDSHIP with everyone!
Positive Motivation Tip: We cultivate all sorts of friendships; some lasting and others temporary. No matter what type we have, friendships enrich our lives and teach us many lessons. Embrace them. Enjoy it!
PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos from my personal collection.
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Friendship (elspethc.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Friendship (implicado.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Friendships (francineinretirement.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Friendship via WordPress (janetsnotebook.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge – Friendship (thisthatandwhateverelseicanthinkof.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Friendship (jayjaysfavorites.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Friendship (taochildseyes.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Friendship (myphotoyear2012.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Friendship (dailypost.wordpress.com)
- Declutter The Friendship Closet (womendivas4god.wordpress.com)
- Weekly photo challenge: Friendship (alicethroughthemacrolens.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Friendship – My Children (dwharlow.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Friendship (beyondpaisley.net)
- Images of Friendship (thismansjourney.net)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Friendship (mikehardisty.wordpress.com)
- WordPress – Friendship (janetsnotebook.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Friendship Is Needed to Care For Animals (benwilliamsworld.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Friendship (waldina.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Friendship When I was Gifted a Star (justanotherwakeupcall.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Friendship (flickrcomments.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Friendship 5 (mystiic.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Friendship (craftcrazygran.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Friendship (hurtlingtowards60.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Image of Life: Happiness (thismansjourney.net)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Friendship (pakos.me)
- Friendship Friday – Silver And Gold (create-with-joy.com)
- Mutuality and Intimacy: The Boundaries of Human Hope (danjbrennan.com)
- Last thoughts: Friendship (the WordPress Weekly Photo Challenge) (thepositivepage.com)
- It’s National Best Friends Day – 20 Fun Friendship Bracelets For You and Your BFF (fabsugar.com)
- The Kindness Of Longtime Friendships (thekindnesskronicles.wordpress.com)
- The Eighth Lost Wonder of the World: Communication (todamow.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Friendship (3rdculturechildren.com)
- Bestfriend Is More Than Just a Label (honestlyaliar.wordpress.com)
- Inspirational Circle #5 – Friendship (jenuineinspiration.wordpress.com)
- Friendships, relationships, and my screwed-up brain. (ask.metafilter.com)