The first shot is one of my favorite photos taken in the french countryside. As my friends and I walked back to our quarters in a local monastery, a beautiful stray cat crossed our path, stopped, and stared at us in defiance. My girlfriend knelt down and picked him up. Her husband, you see his hands in the photo, stood there smiling away as I captured the exchange. We can help and heal each other with our hands. I’ve added direct notes to explain the other photos…
“I’ve learned that you shouldn’t go through life with a catcher’s mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.” Maya Angelou
The lovely set of hands in the bright yellow coat belong to a young lady I saw at the Met Museum. She was wearing the brightest yellow PVC like coat, carrying an orange messenger bag, and wore a green band-aid on a finger. I loved her colors; especially that jacket/coat that reminded me of the designs of Courrèges in the 1960s… I asked for a photo and she obliged. For this challenge on Hands, I found that I had to crop photos to focus on the hands. I generally don’t take photos of the hands, even though it is one of the first body parts my eyes are drawn to after the eyes… What about you?
“Your hands, your eyes, your voice, your thoughts are your servants.” Loretta Young
The hands are a powerful way to communicate without words. We wave goodbye with our hands; we use it for sign language; and we have popular gestures that say all sorts of things from loving signs to curse words. The ancient gods and goddesses in India had special auspicious Mudras (hand gestures) that were pithy with meaning and blessings. In the first photo, the mudra symbolizes a transmission of knowledge. The circle symbolizes the taking of refuge as the union of method and wisdom, and the three extended fingers represent the Three Jewels of the Buddha, dharma, and sangha as the objects of refuge (about.com). Dancers use their hands to emphasis a particular dance movement and to carry the body forward in a routine… The hands don’t lie either. They show our age and the natural wear and tear of daily living. The above selections depict a message; something we can relate to. What favorite gesture do you demonstrate with your hands? More below!
“The final forming of a person’s character lies in their own hands.” Anne Frank
This series of photos were taken when I went to lunch with one of my daughters and her friends at her college. We had an exquisite Thai lunch and then they had ice cream for dessert. Since the photo challenges have turned me into a camera totting fanatic, I captured it all. It was a lovely afternoon and I cherish the memory. Hope you enjoyed this! What are your thoughts? What photos showcasing Hands did you find? Was it easy/hard to find photos that made sense of your views on the subject? Were you drawn to certain types of photos for the prompt? Do share? Thank you!
*Please bear with me as I continue to catch up on your blogs and commenting… Thank you all for your patience!
My fellow bloggers were equally creative with their selections. I listed several via Zemanta below. (I will update it and add more). We all appreciate trackbacks/ping-backs and LIKES from fellow bloggers too! Check out how others interpreted the theme – HANDS – below. ***
This post was inspired by a prompt from WP Daily Post: Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands. Hands can be instrumental in a photo – they emphasis, they hide, they reveal. They can be the star of the show, or just a prop to help the main attraction stand out better. In this photo, this hand was what kept me between life and death as I walked down a rickety metal staircase on the side of a cliff down to the beach. I was glad for that hand and I’m glad I captured the moment, too. Share a picture that has a HAND in it with everyone!
Positive Motivation Tip: From hands that heal to hands that hurt, we extend them daily in our interactions with others… Make your hands a helping one.
PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos from my personal collection.
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands (dailypost.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands (passion2read.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands (rutheh.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands (mothergrogan.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands (300dayjourney.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands (lynneayersbeyondthebrush.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands (theretiringsort.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: “Hands” (babyjill7.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Blue… (eof737.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands… (eof737.wordpress.com)
- You Need Hands : The Weekly Photo Challenge (hurtlingtowards60.wordpress.com)
- Weekly photo challenge: Hands (jmsimpson.wordpress.com)
- postaweek2012 /Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands (jayjaysfavorites.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands (picturesinlivingcolor.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge : Hands (cherylandrews.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands (envirorhi.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge – Hands (thewanderlustgene.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge – Hands (createabeautifullife.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge – Hands: Don’t doze off (janetscraft.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands (beyondpaisley.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge-Hands (picturesandplanetickets.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: HANDS (hodgepodge4thesoul.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands (annarashbrook.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands (colderweather.net)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: HANDS & another one: SUMMER (bopaula.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands (faceinacrowd.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: hands (eldysphotoblog.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands (artisanx2.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands (jinancitydailyphoto.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands (smkelly8.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands (theinspiredpacker.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands (aditimitra.wordpress.com)